General FPS Habit

bobrpggamer

How many people automatically and uncontrollably hit R and reload after a kill. I find that I cannot stop hitting R to reload after a kill even if I have only shot off 10 rounds in my M60 and having 100 rounds left. In real life this would be dangerous and you would go through clips and chain rounds (M249) like mad and be vulnerable to enemy attacks doing this over and over.

I have played over 100 FPS's and this is so much of a habit I do it and then think later how dumb it was as I still have 100 rounds in my M60.

Example:

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

I don't do it after every kill but I will reload regularly.  Firing a couple of shots and having to reload because I didn't reload before the next group of zombies isn't great.  Of course, I never use the M60.  If I used that, I would probably reload only after at least half the ammo was used and probably forget half the time as well. :)

15 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

I do it every time there is a pause, not after every kill. Though many times that pause in the stream of death is me having to reload.

That's sounds like what I meant I guess.

The thing with most FPSs is that when you reload your assault rifle it just adds to you available ammo. I reality you would have to remove the clip and add bullet after bullet to save ammo but this would take a few minutes. I think you would have to pull out the clip and put another one in to save time in battle. This would need to be done after clip is spent and then add another or you would be wasting precious ammo in a firefight.

I sometimes feel like an idiot when I am constantly reloading that M60 after shooting off a couple of rounds but it seems I always notice after I do it, Its that much of a uncontrollable habit in all FPSs I play.

The opposite is basically a pet peeve of mine; youtubers running around without having their guns loaded and then swapping thru 3 empties when attacked by the zeds they just chose to run into... :)

Most of the time reloading early is a good habit to have, it takes special circumstances to be a bad idea. Horde night, you're safe and your DPS may matter for the integrity of your defenses, might be worth aiming to fire every round.

I reload things as soon as I predict a couple second break, and I swap thru all my guns to check whenever I start moving from any rest. I also keep a drink stack on my hotbar just to chug for some extra sta regen whenever I'm about to get into a fight; I kinda consider it basic discipline. I Wish I had anything remotely like that for my IRL endeavours .. :D

35 minutes ago, theFlu said:

The opposite is basically a pet peeve of mine; youtubers running around without having their guns loaded and then swapping thru 3 empties when attacked by the zeds they just chose to run into... :)

Most of the time reloading early is a good habit to have, it takes special circumstances to be a bad idea. Horde night, you're safe and your DPS may matter for the integrity of your defenses, might be worth aiming to fire every round.

I reload things as soon as I predict a couple second break, and I swap thru all my guns to check whenever I start moving from any rest. I also keep a drink stack on my hotbar just to chug for some extra sta regen whenever I'm about to get into a fight; I kinda consider it basic discipline. I Wish I had anything remotely like that for my IRL endeavours .. :D

After horde night or a loot of a large facility, I reload every weapon I have before venturing out again. That is a good habit to get into. I do not carry a rocket launcher or crossbow or other weapons I don't use often when venturing out, so I reload all of them before I put them back in gun safe, that's also a good habit I think to get into.

I just feel a bit silly after I reload the M60 after spending only 10 rounds.

Yeah, that has probably happened at least a few time. Maybe early in in FPS, say the original Half Life generation, I did run into that and caused a permanent habit to reload.

I can remember a few games like Unreal Tournament with a weapon and instinctively tried to reload by pressing "R" this was funny to me. Reloading the Flak Cannon, wait the Flak Cannon, oh I forgot this is not Counterstrike or Battlefield, Uh Duh.

On 5/17/2023 at 5:30 PM, ElCabong said:

I press R after I hit a zombie with the baseball bat. 

It doesn't do any good but it's very reassuring

I believe I have don that after a kill with a baseball bat. Its just weird.

On 5/17/2023 at 1:22 PM, warmer said:

most FPS games I play are quite realistic and reloading when you aren't empty makes you drop rounds in the half spent mag, so I never do so. I also only use guns on horde night. Ninja style/crossbow all other times.

The only ones I can think of is Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 series also Red Orchestra, that are more realistic and makes you conserve all your ammo by shooting off that last bullet in a clip. Most Doom , Quake, Half Life and Far Cry types of games do not penalize you for it

12 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

The only ones I can think of is Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 series also Red Orchestra, that are more realistic and makes you conserve all your ammo by shooting off that last bullet in a clip. Most Doom , Quake, Half Life and Far Cy types of games do not penalize you for it

there are dozens out there that penalize. Metro series/Ready or Not, and many more. Anything that hypes the tactical aspects typically tend to have realism in ammo/reload. Scum and Dayz require you to load your own mags. Many variations in realism.

10 hours ago, warmer said:

there are dozens out there that penalize. Metro series/Ready or Not, and many more. Anything that hypes the tactical aspects typically tend to have realism in ammo/reload. Scum and Dayz require you to load your own mags. Many variations in realism.

I forgot about Arma and the like. I don't remember Metro 2033 (the one I played) having that, but its been a long while since I played. Now that I think about it S.T.A.L.K.E.R games may have had it. I remember unloading bullets from clips in the inventory screen in all of those games.

Its too bad there was not another Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter game I loved the first 2, but did not care for Future Soldier. I have not tried Wildlands, but have it on my Steam wishlist among 50 other games.

On 5/17/2023 at 8:30 PM, ElCabong said:

I press R after I hit a zombie with the baseball bat. 

It doesn't do any good but it's very reassuring

I've caught myself doing that a few times and the desire to bang my head against my keyboard was very strong.

I'm running pistols right now and I'll get down to 2-4 bullets and just reflexively tap R. Meanwhile, I was a D.Va main in Overwatch and never had to reload, so I'm not sure where that came from. Satisfying clicky noises feel good I GUESS.

On 5/17/2023 at 9:32 PM, bobrpggamer said:

I believe I have don that after a kill with a baseball bat. Its just weird.

Although I've never done this in this game since I never use a bat, I did just do that last night in Generation Zero.  I only use the bat there to break things so am in the habit of reloading the guns all the time and so I wasn't thinking and hit R with it.  Facepalm moment.  :)

It would be funny for a game to add an Easter egg to the game where if you try reloading a bat or other melee weapon, there's some funny animation showing you trying to reload it and then your hand goes to your face as your head shakes back and forth.  :)

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

It is a good habit to have.  If you are not engaging a zed at the time, there is just zero reason not to reload.  You have to be a bit more economical about it with the M60 because of the long reload time but anything else should be reloaded constantly.

Of note, this is actually how you are trained in real life too.  Not after one shot of course but I was trained that you count your shots and reload early keeping your half spent magazines in a different pocked than your fresh ones.  You absolutely never want to be out of rounds at the moment you need to fire.

29 minutes ago, FA_Q2 said:

Of note, this is actually how you are trained in real life too.  Not after one shot of course but I was trained that you count your shots and reload early keeping your half spent magazines in a different pocked than your fresh ones.  You absolutely never want to be out of rounds at the moment you need to fire.

Yeah, it's bad enough in the game when you hear *click* instead of *bang* when being attacked.  In real life, that may be the last thing you hear.

42 minutes ago, FA_Q2 said:

It is a good habit to have.  If you are not engaging a zed at the time, there is just zero reason not to reload.  You have to be a bit more economical about it with the M60 because of the long reload time but anything else should be reloaded constantly.

Have you ever added bullets to your clip instead? This would take some time if you have say a box of 7.62 or 5.56 and you added a bullet on top of bullet into your clip, that would be the most economical way but would take a lot of time. That is why revolvers and double barrel shotguns may not be worth using in a close firefight. A bolt action rifle in a close fight would be worse than any of them. Probably why you get a pistol along with your rifle in most loadouts in a lot of games.

9 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Have you ever added bullets to your clip instead? This would take some time if you have say a box of 7.62 or 5.56 and you added a bullet on top of bullet into your clip, that would be the most economical way but would take a lot of time. That is why revolvers and double barrel shotguns may not be worth using in a close firefight. A bolt action rifle in a close fight would be worse than any of them. Probably why you get a pistol along with your rifle in most loadouts in a lot of games.

You know that sounds like it could be an interesting way to play, I wonder if it could be done in a mod..

19 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

?

We are talking about in the field, you do not carry boxes of ammo in the field.  Any ammo you bring into the field will be in a mag.  I do not understand the question.

1 hour ago, FA_Q2 said:

?

We are talking about in the field, you do not carry boxes of ammo in the field.  Any ammo you bring into the field will be in a mag.  I do not understand the question.

Probably seen it in movies. I guess that maybe the magazines are created that way at an ammo dump or whatever, as I doubt that they are made on a assembly line. But you did answered my question in that it does not happen that way and that the clips are all you take in the field, which does make sense of course. If I did not see it in TV or movies I would not have even thought of it.