Pimps should consider this option

Hollowprime

• 1 year later...
On 9/6/2022 at 10:08 AM, Hollowprime said:

Hello everyone, long time no see. I've been waiting for A21 to fall before I posted but as a small unity dev I came across this video. I know 7 days to die is made in Unity and that the devs have a hard time balancing the graphics of the game. It's only fair as unity does not offer great solutions to multiple moving entities. URP despite being more polished still lacks in terms of performance. The 2022 Unity version also has significant loading times when trying to compile or import code (over a minute importing packages!)

Have the devs considered migrating to another more powerful engine like unreal which can handle thousands of moving entities?

I personally wouldn't mind having a couple orders of magnitudes more zombies on screen without the fps dropping bellow 120 😛 :

I wouldn’t mind either however if that comes with the string attached (which it surely will) an increased price tag plus god knows how many more years of developing and waiting 4 years for the next damn alpha. I am totally cool sticking with Unity.

Pimps have been hiring people with Unreal experience, I am confident whatever comes next will be Unreal 5.0. I can wait.

@madmole we all would love a reasonable peek at what ya’ll are working on. Something like a screen shot or two, simple overview of what you expect it to be with caveats that it may change is more than fine. I’ll help defend the Pimps if the Whambulance arrives years later.

On 9/17/2023 at 10:23 AM, Tom Stephens said:

Are you now, considering recent events, beginning to understand why the question may have been both timely and pertinent?

Might wanna check the date of the posts you are quoting. The OP was neither timely nor pertinent when referring to the recent Unity fee debacle.

In light of the recent Unity fee debacle, the answer is still no. TFP won't be switching engines for 7 Days to Die. The most recent backpedal from Unity means that TFP is safe from user install fees provided they don't update to a post-January 2024 version. I think there is one additional version they can upgrade to beyond their current version and still avoid the new fees. Whether or not they decide to do that or simply release their game with the current version remains to be seen. But regardlesss, it will be a version of Unity.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)