It seems by now I should have them buzzards on the endangered species list and on the way to Extinction

ElCabong

I hate them so much that I'd rather bare knuckle on dog packs than fight a single vulture in a similar scenario.

But, then there are times when I'm facing down 4 or 5 as im driving through an area and I kick off my bike just long enough to bullethose all of them out of spite.

I do treasure those moments.

4 hours ago, Andros said:

I rely on them, a quick bike ride through the desert and my feather situation is made so much better.  I hate looking in bird's nests!

How do you survive it? The moment I step into a desert, a whole pack just @%$#ing surrounds me and I have to run for my life.

4 hours ago, No_Name_Idea said:

How do you survive it? The moment I step into a desert, a whole pack just @%$#ing surrounds me and I have to run for my life.

Maybe I play on a lower difficulty setting than you, but i usually only get 1 or 2 vultures on me. so nothing really to worry about.

17 hours ago, Maharin said:

Ca Caw - Ca Caw (vulture noise)

I worked in a place about 10 years that had hundreds of them. One of them took out the telecommunication disc on my building when it came in for a landing hot, lol. This picture doesn't capture their size properly, they're big. They're smart too, there's no way Conan would be able to bite one of their heads off.

I kind of like them irl. They don't bother me and I certainly don't bother them.

10 hours ago, No_Name_Idea said:

If you have full health I believe they tend to leave you alone if they’re just flying around. If disturbed by you (while they are perched) I think they attack no matter what.

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

I worked in a place about 10 years that had hundreds of them. One of them took out the telecommunication disc on my building when it came in for a landing hot, lol. This picture doesn't capture their size properly, they're big. They're smart too, there's no way Conan would be able to bite one of their heads off.

I kind of like them irl. They don't bother me and I certainly don't bother them.

Biting the head off of a vulture is not recommended. Vultures can throw up a very odorous vomit as a defense mechanism.

Edited by Urban Blackbear (see edit history)

3 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I'm wondering if they could add a Skeksis-like "king of the vultures" to 7DTD.  Hmmm...

Skeksis at Jim Henson exhibit | The dark crystal, Exhibition, Jim henson

7 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

If you have full health I believe they tend to leave you alone if they’re just flying around. If disturbed by you (while they are perched) I think they attack no matter what.

True except when riding a bike/minibike etc.  If they see you they attack you no matter what your health is.

On 5/27/2022 at 9:28 PM, Andros said:

True except when riding a bike/minibike etc.  If they see you they attack you no matter what your health is.

If you're on/in a vehicle, I think they attack based on the vehicle's health, not yours.

16 minutes ago, drgnkght said:

If you're on/in a vehicle, I think they attack based on the vehicle's health, not yours.

No. Even if the vehicle has no damage, the vultures attack. That is simply part of their behavior.

3 hours ago, RipClaw said:

No. Even if the vehicle has no damage, the vultures attack. That is simply part of their behavior.

Huh, that's good to know. I can stop repairing my vehicles so often.

Speaking of vulture behaviors, is it normal for vultures to continue attacking vehicles after you disembark? Had one the other day that seemed to have a serious grudge against my motorcycle. Never seen that before.

14 minutes ago, drgnkght said:

Huh, that's good to know. I can stop repairing my vehicles so often.

Speaking of vulture behaviors, is it normal for vultures to continue attacking vehicles after you disembark? Had one the other day that seemed to have a serious grudge against my motorcycle. Never seen that before.

This is normal. It was going after you not your motorcycle, you must have moved in it swooped past you. If you're on your motorcycle and you hit something that stops you, they will attack. If you have a train of them behind you and you log off, they will attack you as you're logging back on and kill you. There's a period of time when you're not quite in the world and not quite outside of it and they're able to do you damage but you're not able to do anything about it.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, ElCabong said:

This is normal. It was going after you not your motorcycle, you must have moved in it swooped past you. If you're on your motorcycle and you hit something that stops you, they will attack. If you have a train of them behind you and you log off, they will attack you as you're logging back on and kill you. There's a period of time when you're not quite in the world and not quite outside of it and they're able to do you damage but you're not able to do anything about it.

Not sure that was the case, as it nailed my bike several times after I got off to fight it. I'd accept once, i.e. the attack sequence was already running when I disembarked, but I don't think that would explain multiple attacks (I wasn't between the vulture and the bike. I was off to the side, and vulture was completely ignoring me.).... Maybe the AI thought I was still on the bike for some reason?

Use a bone knife - it strikes very quickly and will briefly knock the buzzard back. You can walk backwards from the buzzard while looking at it, hit the attack button over and over and kill them after a few hits. Once I started doing this buzzards became much less of a pain to deal with. If your transport is moving too slowly, hop off and deal with them in this manner.