Is it normal to not see a single shotgun in loot at day ~73, player level 80? A20.4

plzkthxbye

I started a new game recently when 20.4 was first released (the experimental version). I'm now lvl 80, and it's day 73 or so. I'm almost positive I have not found (in loot) a single shotgun this entire playthrough. Ok, I think I may have found a pipe shotgun or two, but not a single double-barrel, pump, or auto shotgun in loot. I've done a number of T5s, probably 12-20 or so T4s.

Is this a fairly typical experience? I'm mostly using agility-based weapons this playthrough anyway, so I don't really mind, but it's just something I noticed as I kept amassing shotgun mods (waiting to put them in shotguns I looted to increase their value before selling them - I have quite a few homeless shotgun mods now).

Edit: Finally found a lvl 6 Auto Shotgun in some POI (it was either a T4 or a T5 - I don't recall the container). Still no double barrels or pump shotguns though. The Auto Shotty had 16.1 damage/pellet, which, if I'm not mistaken, is really really good? I held onto it, but I haven't used it (not sure if I will). Still on the hunt for a T6 M60.

Pretty weird you haven't found at least one yet but it's not like they're super common.

Are you staying in the pine forest or another biome? You'll find more guns in other biomes, snow and wasteland especially.

Also you'll find more guns in gun lockers, reinforced chests, gun displays, and I think in Shotgun Messiah boxes. So depending on the types of PoIs you're hitting maybe you haven't been giving yourself a lot of exposure the spots guns are most likely to appear.

Or maybe you've been finding them, ignoring them because your build doesn't use them, and then promptly forgetting about them. Who knows!

But no, not typical.

I think that they're less common than in 19 but it sounds you might have had some bad luck. We're at lvl 75ish, day 85, gamestage 180ish atm -  and on default loot I think that two of us had found maybe 4 or 5 - including one in an airdrop - a 4th level pump but I had to make one for my wife i.e. we didn't find two and we've only found a single auto shotgun as well. We have bases in desert and snow - we raid the wasteland [Edit: just cars and remnants right now but you can find great stuff in cars there and in the snow.] and have done a few tier 5s but *not* the Shotgun Messiah and I'm not sure if we hit the  shooting range so maybe we could have found more.  

Here's something that I haven't figured out in a year of playing: if we take perks in something, like Shotgun Messiah does that make it more likely to find something associated w/ that perk? 

I played the game for a while in multiplayer on 100% loot, then 75% and now on 50%. I can confirm something is not right with the whole system. To give an exaple, we barely find armors then suddenly run into level 5-6 steel pieces. Guns the same. From few junk we suddenly transit to the best. It appear anything low value is fitered out on those settings.

Lot of things are rare in the game in general now. It seem the only way to get certain items is plain luck, or more likely from a trader.

Day 89, have a couple of double barrels, probably < 3 pump, and only 1 x L1 autoshotty. Have multiple L6 SMGs, Pistols, Vultures and have probably looted about 15 x L6 M60s by now. Something is off with the RNG, pretty sure of that. Lockpicking getting multiple breaks after < 250ms in a row. Then of course it is random but just because you can have a bad luck streak doesn't mean it is impossible for a bugs to exist in the RNG.

On 4/23/2022 at 2:07 PM, Apocalipservice said:

Here's something that I haven't figured out in a year of playing: if we take perks in something, like Shotgun Messiah does that make it more likely to find something associated w/ that perk?

No.

Everybody in this thread might get some interesting information from Boid's Loot Logger. You can see just exactly how the RNG works, including your loot level (and when it does or does not affect loot), biome & POI modifiers, etc.

3 hours ago, Boidster said:

Everybody in this thread might get some interesting information from Boid's Loot Logger. You can see just exactly how the RNG works, including your loot level (and when it does or does not affect loot), biome & POI modifiers, etc.

Thanks @Boidster, I’ve installed the mod and confirmed what I’ve reversed engineered from the loot.xml.  (FYI - Player.log no longer seems to get updated as per doc but the output can be found in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie_Data\output_log__***.txt)

31 minutes ago, Ezed said:

Heh...I would say it is normal to still not have come across that something you want at that day/level...seems like it's a shotgun for you this time 'round.

This is true and with each item being added to a loot list your chances of finding the item you want will get lower. Previous games I looted L6 Stun Batons like candy and now it’s M60s. And now we have traders and perk points so I guess looting will never be looked at again.

Either way, there’s currently no point bothering with the shotgun as the spread is bugged.

https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/bug-pool/shotgun-shell-pellet-spread-bugged-r2411/

24 minutes ago, John Black said:

(FYI - Player.log no longer seems to get updated as per doc but the output can be found in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\7 Days To Die\7DaysToDie_Data\output_log__***.txt)

Thanks, I will look into that. There might be a difference when launching directly vs. through Steam (when developing I am always doing the former).

17 hours ago, John Black said:

Either way, there’s currently no point bothering with the shotgun as the spread is bugged.

https://community.7daystodie.com/bug-test-1/bug-pool/shotgun-shell-pellet-spread-bugged-r2411/

In the future, you might want to try reporting it in the A20 bug pool (accessed via the red banner at the top). The bug pool you're in is labelled Bug-Test-1 in the URLs and A19-Pre-Exp in the tab name. (I'm guessing that one was the bug pool for A19 and older).

18 hours ago, Rotor said:

I am swimming in shotguns, can't find forge recipe.  Next point will go into whatever the skill is to be able to craft it.

Just stop.

You can't be swimming in Pump Shotguns. Nobody is in A20, not even in Double-Barrels. Pipe Shotguns, maybe.

And how the freaking hell are you waiting to loot the Forge schematics?? You only need to drop ONE point in Advanced Engineering to unlock it and it's open from level 1, day one.

🤨

1 hour ago, Kyonshi said:

Just stop.

You can't be swimming in Pump Shotguns. Nobody is in A20, not even in Double-Barrels. Pipe Shotguns, maybe.

And how the freaking hell are you waiting to loot the Forge schematics?? You only need to drop ONE point in Advanced Engineering to unlock it and it's open from level 1, day one.

🤨

Ya, pipes, apologies for not specifying.  It was a general statement mainly to accentuate not finding a forge schematic.

I am no where near the difficulty level as the OP.

Archived