20.4 new mod folder location

KhaineGB

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

Yes. It will. And before it happens and people are forced to the new way Khaine will have a tutorial video made, most mods will have the instructions posted for what users need to do, and it really won't be that big of a deal. Why?

Because TFP warned everyone months before hand and gave the community time to adapt and sort things out and the solution turns out to be very simple and allows for multiple mods to be switched to without even having to have multiple full copies of the game loaded which means even more space saved on drives everywhere.

While some ranted and whined, others got busy doing what TFP gave us the time to do-- which was to come up with solutions. So the reasons why it is dense to keep stating and restating that this horrible change has been forced upon us are:

A) Nobody is currently being forced

B) This is the grace period given for coming up with solutions (which some people got to work doing while others just sat around raging)

C) By time the change actually happens everyone will be ready

D) Turns out the change isn't nearly as horrible as people initially thought and even carries new advantages,

My only question, as a non-modder, non-mod user (ATM), was the announcement in a patch note deemed the best way to annouce such changes?  Or was it just more fun to do it that way and watch the popcorn fly?

While A,B,C,D are quite true, it is also an excellent job of PR on your part :).  However, it amazes me that it had to be that way....or just plain evil genius.  Just my .01 observer.

1 minute ago, Roland said:

I think these guys wanted a warning about the warning. But of course then they would have ranted about that and demanded a warning about the warning for the warning. Man, TFP just should have included a warning about this back in 2013 as one of the kickstarter stretch goals....

Yes, Roland, please warn The Fun Pimps to always give a warning about each warning before the warning so we are warned that a warning is upcoming.   

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

So seriously, stop it. The more you make it look like this, the more you are just pushing false information to fire off an agenda that is skewed against reality.

Are you serious? I just quoted what Madmole wrote in his Alpha release notes. And as long as it isn't against the forum rules to speculate, I will speculate about such notes! That's all. So don't try to patronize me.

Oh wait ... I have a better idea. I will stop it! Because I'm out now. Bye bye!

Edited by grendelwolf (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

OR you could just believe me:

image.thumb.png.eefd60aee67ffbb8e56a3019b7edec4e.png

Notice BOTH the "Get Game Pass Included with GamePass" button AND the giant Name of the title with the worlds (PC) at the end.  This generally means it's available on both platforms for Gamepass.  

Or, on the Xbox app on windows: 

image.png.9ffd2307cf9b75ce18065f2ad84ae36f.pngPay attention to the hover text again saying "(PC)" and the "with gamepass" at the bottom, which indicates the price discount if you purchase it outright WHILE you have gamepass active.

Or one more from the Xbox app: 

image.thumb.png.8fcdded884c8cb0f11f5479a2be79ef4.png

Now, does that mean it's on Gamepass in EVERY single location around the world?  Hell I don't know.   I don't have a VPN and even if I did, I would be too lazy to check.  Is it possible that in Sweden, it's not a Gamepass title?  Perhaps!?!?!?   Germany?  Perhaps Not!?!?!?   

As well, since you referenced Poland and I don't speak Polish, I cannot go to xbox.pl, or whatever Poland's xbox site hostname is and verify that it is in fact available on the Polish implementation of Gamepass.

I can only speak for where I live and that is in the United States so I will hereby REVISE my previous statement.   

I know for a fact that in the United States, you can get Skyrim as part of Gamepass.    

And i can't check most of USA pages too because UE change a law few years ago - yep sick. So if skyrim is in gamepass that's ok

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

I think these guys wanted a warning about the warning. But of course then they would have ranted about that and demanded a warning about the warning for the warning. Man, TFP just should have included a warning about this back in 2013 as one of the kickstarter stretch goals....

Now i don't undestand anything.

A20.4 b42 changelog:

Changed

• Launcher on Windows now stores log files in %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/logs folder
  • Screenshots are stored in <UserDataFolder>/Screenshots (i.e. the folder that also stores saves, e.g. on Windows %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/Screenshots)
  • Mods are now loaded from <UserDataFolder>/Mods (i.e. the folder that also stores saves, e.g. on Windows %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/Mods) in addition to <game folder>/Mods. In a future build this will change to only load from that new location so no data is written/changed in the program folder at any time.

So this is added or not added or what? Just i don't know if i miss something. 

This even more compicated topic that LBD and Zombie teens fusioned together

1 minute ago, Rotor said:

My only question, as a non-modder, non-mod user (ATM), was the announcement in a patch note deemed the best way to annouce such changes?  Or was it just more fun to do it that way and watch the popcorn fly?

While A,B,C,D are quite true, it is also an excellent job of PR on your part :).  However, it amazes me that it had to be that way....or just plain evil genius.  Just my .01 observer.

There is no official mod support yet. Modding is completely on your own. TFP are not concerned right now making sure that everyone knows how to mod and how to download a mod. They have not included any kind of mod interface in their options menu to help people get started modding nor have they provided any instruction. All of that comes from the community and even the way that modding is done now with Xpath and Harmony largely were community led with some input and coordination with the developers but pretty minimal. The devs announced the change how they announce all their changes and expect those that choose to mod before official mod support is implemented to do things exactly how they have been doing it for almost a decade now with this game--- the "get off your ass" and figure it out methodology.

As well get mad at the lack of help the Devs gave Khaine to make Darkness Falls itself as at the lack of help they gave Khaine in figuring out the best way to make things work well with this change. There are people in this world who do and there are people who just talk about it. Well...Khaine did a bit of both-- but the point is he got right to work figuring this out because he saw the announcement and started making the necessary adjustments. I'm sure things will continue to get refined as we go.

Like it or not, the whole modding scene is outside the scope of what the developers are currently focused on. They have promised that they will turn their attention officially to modding and making sure anyone who wants to can easily load the mod they want but that time is still a future day. Everyone who is modding the game right now are pioneers out on the plain. They are breaking new ground for sure but they are also very much on their own. The mod launcher, random world generators, custom huds, POI packs, overhaul mods, xpath, harmony, and now figuring out this change have all been accomplished by people who feel passionate about their own vision for this game and so have jumped the gun on having TFP support in order to get their vision out there before the game is fully released. That's their choice and we benefit from getting to play those alternate versions but they know that the environment they are working in is not one where the developers provide all the tools and support and menus and hooks needed to make modding a point and click affair.

Forget it Matt. Critical questions aren't allowed here. TFP fuels this critical questions and speculations with their release notes, but that's ok. BUT if you start asking critical questions, you are forced to shut up. That's what I call censorship.

Mods, Please delete my account. I didn't find any button to delete it by myself.

Edited by grendelwolf (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

There is no official mod support yet. Modding is completely on your own. TFP are not concerned right now making sure that everyone knows how to mod and how to download a mod. They have not included any kind of mod interface in their options menu to help people get started modding nor have they provided any instruction. All of that comes from the community and even the way that modding is done now with Xpath and Harmony largely were community led with some input and coordination with the developers but pretty minimal. The devs announced the change how they announce all their changes and expect those that choose to mod before official mod support is implemented to do things exactly how they have been doing it for almost a decade now with this game--- the "get off your ass" and figure it out methodology.

As well get mad at the lack of help the Devs gave Khaine to make Darkness Falls itself as at the lack of help they gave Khaine in figuring out the best way to make things work well with this change. There are people in this world who do and there are people who just talk about it. Well...Khaine did a bit of both-- but the point is he got right to work figuring this out because he saw the announcement and started making the necessary adjustments. I'm sure things will continue to get refined as we go.

Like it or not, the whole modding scene is outside the scope of what the developers are currently focused on. They have promised that they will turn their attention officially to modding and making sure anyone who wants to can easily load the mod they want but that time is still a future day. Everyone who is modding the game right now are pioneers out on the plain. They are breaking new ground for sure but they are also very much on their own. The mod launcher, random world generators, custom huds, POI packs, overhaul mods, xpath, harmony, and now figuring out this change have all been accomplished by people who feel passionate about their own vision for this game and so have jumped the gun on having TFP support in order to get their vision out there before the game is fully released. That's their choice and we benefit from getting to play those alternate versions but they know that the environment they are working in is not one where the developers provide all the tools and support and menus and hooks needed to make modding a point and click affair.

Well said.  

Thanks @KhaineGB @JaxTeller718, etc, etc, etc for digging in and doing the work instead of waiting for others to just sit on their arse and flap their gums about "this game should have this thing" and just doing the work!     While i have never used any of the overhaul mods(as of yet), I can certainly appreciate the massive amount of time you guys have invested in your vision of what an alternate version of this game could look like with a different vision.

22 minutes ago, Roland said:

Take it or leave is not sweat off my back.  Some times perception is reality.  All I wanted was a new SSD :P.

12 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

Forget it Matt. Critical questions aren't allowed here. TFP fuels this critical questions and speculations with their release notes, but that's ok. BUT if you start asking critical questions, you are forced to shut up. That's what I call censorship.

Mods, Please delete my account. I didn't find any button to delete it by myself.

Nobody has forced anyone to shutup. Nobody has told anyone to stop asking critical questions. I haven't seen a lot of critical questions tbh. I've seen a lot of critical claims and predictions and statements and pronouncements. Some critical questions would be a nice change of pace actually.

2 minutes ago, Rotor said:

Take it or leave is not sweat off my back.  Some times perception is reality.  All I wanted was a new SSD :P.

If wishes were SSDs...

@SylenThunder @Roland What i mainly meant when talking about a warning is the server search changings that needed a warning before the change, no matter if this is the final form or not. A bit off topic here, i know, but you guys abandon the topics about that a bit. About the mod change it would have been a good idea that they maybe could have talked to modders before the change to see the obvious flaw that C is not ideal for many people before the change is done. 

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

And before it happens and people are forced to the new way Khaine will have a tutorial video made, most mods will have the instructions posted for what users need to do

Only because i'm a sad old man with no life and nothing better to do ;)

54 minutes ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

Well said.  

Thanks @KhaineGB @JaxTeller718, etc, etc, etc for digging in and doing the work instead of waiting for others to just sit on their arse and flap their gums about "this game should have this thing" and just doing the work!     While i have never used any of the overhaul mods(as of yet), I can certainly appreciate the massive amount of time you guys have invested in your vision of what an alternate version of this game could look like with a different vision.

It was partially @SylenThunder too :) He gave me some good ideas to go poking

2 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

It was partially @SylenThunder too :) He gave me some good ideas to go poking

I learned something new today too....

On 4/27/2022 at 4:14 PM, faatal said:

We can't have it in the Mods folder for installing from the Microsoft store or Game Pass, because MS does not want users changing files in the install location.

We already allow you to specify a location on the command line for data files, which you could specify in the launcher. You can then place a Mods folder there.

-UserDataFolder=x:\7DTDData

It can also be set in the serverconfig.xml file.
<property name="UserDataFolder" value="absolute path" /> <!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

I was not aware that argument even existed. It makes my earlier suggestion almost completely obsolete as this removes several steps.

One thing for sure though, this change is going to save me tons of hard drive space. 

20 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

I learned something new today too....

I was not aware that argument even existed. It makes my earlier suggestion almost completely obsolete as this removes several steps.

One thing for sure though, this change is going to save me tons of hard drive space. 

You and me both, mate :D

15 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

So at least this topic bring sometthing positive too :)

I mean, currently I have a save for the base game, my own SP modded games, Darkness falls, Sorcery, DF+Sorcery, ect.

Each one of these versions has the 13GB base game plus the mods.

So by using the argument to re-direct the path to my other SSD, I get rid of 78+GB of duplicated files, and only need the one base client. 

Just now, SylenThunder said:

I mean, currently I have a save for the base game, my own SP modded games, Darkness falls, Sorcery, DF+Sorcery, ect.

Each one of these versions has the 13GB base game plus the mods.

So by using the argument to re-direct the path to my other SSD, I get rid of 78+GB of duplicated files, and only need the one base client. 

So... still this something positive. Well - things now are kinda... negative so anything good is... good lol XD 

So are you making mods too?

13 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

So are you making mods too?

Mostly just for our groups servers lately. I haven't had the free time I used to. Mostly it was just little stuff like the original working ovens and sinks, lighted glass blocks, and stuff like that. I had considered an overhaul similar to Valmar's, or even picking up Valmars mod when he left. (I believe someone else did though.) I like making POI's too, and have contributed to the Compo-Pak. 

Lately though, I just don't have that kind of free time.

So 7 Days is on GamePass now and working.

We still can add mods to the mods folder in the game like we always did.

So why can't it stay like that in future. Is it some security thing. I mean MS must be allowing it to happen now. Is there a problem somehow with keeping it this way.

7 minutes ago, Gamida said:

So 7 Days is on GamePass now and working.

We still can add mods to the mods folder in the game like we always did.

So why can't it stay like that in future. Is it some security thing. I mean MS must be allowing it to happen now. Is there a problem somehow with keeping it this way.

the point is, doing so is a very BAD thing.   Perhaps for example, the MS store will always "update" and overwrite everything,  including removing your mod folder.    Secondly, even for the steam people this IS ultimately a good change.   Those who don't use mods won't care.   Those who do and especially those who play on multiple mods at a single time can now do so and take up far less hard drive space and much easier switch between the multiple mods you play.     

1. install mod to a folder somewhere, so for example d:\7d2dMods\DarkenssFalls
  2. make NEW windows shortcut to 7d2d executable
  3. edit shortcut and add a parameter to point to the location of the Darkness Falls content
  4. rename shortcut "Darkness Falls - 7 Days to Die"(or whaterver).

No extra time or space on your hard drive required

1 minute ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

the point is, doing so is a very BAD thing.   Perhaps for example, the MS store will always "update" and overwrite everything,  including removing your mod folder.    Secondly, even for the steam people this IS ultimately a good change.   Those who don't use mods won't care.   Those who do and especially those who play on multiple mods at a single time can now do so and take up far less hard drive space and much easier switch between the multiple mods you play.     

1. install mod to a folder somewhere, so for example d:\7d2dMods\DarkenssFalls
  2. make NEW windows shortcut to 7d2d executable
  3. edit shortcut and add a parameter to point to the location of the Darkness Falls content
  4. rename shortcut "Darkness Falls - 7 Days to Die"(or whaterver).

No extra time or space on your hard drive required

I understand the workaround. I was just curious as to why it can't stay like it is now. What problems will it make. I know if it causes security issues or something similar it has to be changed. I just wanted to know why.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@SylenThunder @Roland What i mainly meant when talking about a warning is the server search changings that needed a warning before the change, no matter if this is the final form or not. A bit off topic here, i know, but you guys abandon the topics about that a bit. About the mod change it would have been a good idea that they maybe could have talked to modders before the change to see the obvious flaw that C is not ideal for many people before the change is done. 

Yes, I know. I agree with you about the server search changes. There was no warning about that and it was forced and it has been a huge inconvenience for people to try and recover their favorites and histories and find the server they were playing on before. I daresay you are correct that some people will probably not be able to find their server and easily connect with their friends and that is definitely not the ideal way for a transition like this to have occurred.

1 minute ago, Roland said:

Yes, I know. I agree with you about the server search changes. There was no warning about that and it was forced and it has been a huge inconvenience for people to try and recover their favorites and histories and find the server they were playing on before. I daresay you are correct that some people will probably not be able to find their server and easily connect with their friends and that is definitely not the ideal way for a transition like this to have occurred.

I found all my favorite servers and server history is still in the steam server list.

10 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I found all my favorite servers and server history is still in the steam server list.

Well, there have been plenty of reports of people having problems as well. I've been arguing that the mod folder change has been okay because they didn't force the change so I have to acknowledge the fact that they did force the server search change without any warning which has caused confusion and inconvenience to many if not all players.