20.4 new mod folder location

KhaineGB

2 minutes ago, khzmusik said:

No idea why you pinged me, but I'll put in my two cents.

Personally, I have always used SphereII's Mod Launcher to launch modded games. The reason is simple: I will never, ever mod the game that is in the Steam folder.

I have always played concurrent modded and vanilla playthroughs. I have also always played the latest experimental as soon as it's available, even though I usually have a long-term playthrough on the previous alpha that I still play until the next alpha is stable (and sometimes after that).

Not to mention mod development. I have done lots of development where I have totally broken the game saves. I've sometimes broken things bad enough that I've had to re-install the game.

But that has always been OK, because every mod I've played has been on a different copy of the game, in a different folder on the hard drive, each of which has a different mods folder. The Mod Launcher makes this very easy which is why I recommend it.

So, the move to keep all the mods in one place is a very bad idea to me. It doesn't matter where that place is. If mods have to be in any one place, and that place only, then I'll have to stop playing mods, and my relationship with this game will end a whole lot sooner.

Having said that, the game has always allowed things to be loaded from different directories through command-line arguments. (It's how the Mod Launcher keeps game saves and worlds for different game installations in different places.) As long as that is still an option then I will be OK.

But it would be better if the game could specify these locations in some way that is far more convenient. A new entry in the game's settings screen, a "browse" option in a launcher, whatever. It should be easy enough such that anyone who knows how to open a folder can do it.

Well because someone wrote about mod locations that is more "modder part of community" i was thinking it was you but i could mistake you with someone😅

2 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well because someone wrote about mod locations that is more "modder part of community" i was thinking it was you but i could mistake you with someone😅

No worries. I might not be the best person to ask though, just because my answer will probably be "use the Mod Launcher" :) 

5 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

How do you know? 😉

Nope, unfortunately I'm not that creative. Some time ago I planned to make a game using the Unreal engine (which is for free now) after I saw what this gentleman did with 'The Shore' (a Lovecraftian horror exploration game). But I'm afraid I will never start programming such a game. If I would really have the ressources, the money, the manpower I'd make a sequel of 'Clive Barker's Undying'. I even began to write a story concept some time ago (Corona, Lockdown, and finally some free time).  

I was thinking for many years about steam punk mix of plague tale and 7dtd but i'm totaly talentless so .... i just give up XD

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

I was thinking for many years about steam punk mix of plague tale and 7dtd but i'm totaly talentless so .... i just give up XD

Sounds good. The steampunk setting should be possible as mod too. I'd also like to see a Medieval Mod for 7dtd - just melee and bladed weapons, bows...

Zombies riding undead horses. And bandit knights that could besiege your base.

Edited by grendelwolf (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

Sounds good. The steampunk setting should be possible as mod too. I'd also like to see a Medieval Mod for 7dtd - just melee and bladed weapons, bows...

Zombies riding undead horses. And bandit knights that could besiege your base.

Yep i was thinking about medieval too but as 7dtd spinoff with more darker setting. Yep steampunk is possible just need to change POI, zombie weapons tools models , decrease number of POI etc because most systems are added .

Damn i hope TFP will make medieval 7dtd soon ^^

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, grendelwolf said:

But then TFP should make things configurable using the standard game options menu. They can't expect that every gamer want to fiddle around with configuarion files or launch parameters.

And they probably will do such things as soon as they shift from making the game itself to polishing supporting features like official modding support and Steam Workshop integration. Players participating in Early Access can't expect developers to drop their priorities to make buttons when they can fiddle around with config files and launch parameters if they really feel strongly about playing mods before the game is even done and the devs haven't even finalized official mod support...

People are suddenly scandalized about having to use workarounds for this situation when workarounds are what you are supposed to do and are expected to do while the game is indev and the things you want haven't been added yet to work natively. We've been using workarounds for this or that for coming on 9 years now.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

A lot of ranting could have been avoided if people knew beforehand what will happen. Modders could have been warned before and players informed that they need to write down the IP´s of the servers they play on and what server owners need to do so their servers can be found in the list. A matter of not even half an hour of work to post it on steam, FB, Twitter and ofc here.

Having the option "any" at the search filter for the region would have helped a lot also. Or simply not beeing forced to use the search filter but seeing the whole server list and then having the option to use the new filter.

And no i am not asking that devs do communicate everything before a release ofc. Just if you exactly know how much consufion a change like this will cause.

Still wondering what will happen to prefabs. If MS doesn´t allow mods to be in the gamefolder, i assume that custom prefabs aren´t allowed either?

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

On 4/28/2022 at 10:55 AM, grendelwolf said:

And it doesn't make sense for a game that is really made for big Mods. And large Mod-Packs. I reckon that Skyrim isn't available via game pass?   

On 4/28/2022 at 10:58 AM, Matt115 said:

Nope, there is not skyrim in game pass xd what i can say? everything change on worst xd

Skyrim is most definitely on Gamepass as is Fallout 4 for both Xbox and PC versions.  To my knowledge, most of the Bethsda games were added to Gamepass when MS bought out Bethesda last year.   Some may or may no LONG be on gamepass, but that's besides the point.  

I have never had Gamepass for PC, but I did play Skyrim on the console and at least as of the second release in umm 2017 or so, that version did have mods, HOWEVER they were heavily curated mods and there was no way to override that list on the console version.   I have no idea about the PC version available from the MS Store if the could go and grab some random mod from Nexus or not though.

EDIT:  Because it is VERY possible that Microsoft has different content on Gamepass region locked, my information above is only what I know for a fact and that is within the Gamepass version that is in the United States since thats where I live and can look up the information to be certain.     if you live somwhere else, then any specific game or games may NOT be available on YOUR countries version of Gamepass.

Edited by JoeDaFrogman (see edit history)

So, now i've finished patching up Darkness Falls so it'll work from a location other than 7 Days to Die/Mods, I tried adding this to a shortcut on my desktop.

-UserDataFolder=D:\DarknessFalls

I put the Mods folder in that location, and it worked.

I assume this will also work for linux and mac, but I don't have a way to test that. It should also work for the MS Store if that store puts a shortcut on the desktop. You can just copy the shortcut several times and use those for several mods.

14 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

So, now i've finished patching up Darkness Falls so it'll work from a location other than 7 Days to Die/Mods, I tried adding this to a shortcut on my desktop.

I assume this will also work for linux and mac, but I don't have a way to test that. It should also work for the MS Store if that store puts a shortcut on the desktop. You can just copy the shortcut several times and use those for several mods.

This change, while annoying for the "default" folder will make things far EASIER for multiple games/mods.    With the above, you put your mod files for mod XYZ in a single folder somewhere, and then make a new shortcut as above, and go.   No more need for the modlauncher(well... that is if you have a small number of fairly simple mods that you don't want to add/change often), with the biggest win being no duplicate copies of the game needed UNLESS you want to keep multiple versions of the game for playing. 

Darkness Falls A20 Shortcut
Ravenhurst A20 Shortcut

Undead Legacy Shortcut

Just make the folders somewhere, drop in that mod's content, make a shortcut with the flag and go.

Is it a bit more work to explain?  yes, but honesty not much more so.  Hell, if you think people will default their steam install folder, you could make a sample shortcut for them as part of your overhaul mod and then instructions on editing it as well in your zip file.

9 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

Well, if Microsoft doesn't allow modifications in the game directory, where does Skyrim save all its Mods, Texture Packs, and so on?

TBH, I don't know.    For the PC, I only have steam and epic.  The only game i have on MS is Minecraft and that's because it was free with my XB version and I have only played it a few times to use an autoclicker on PC.  

I THINK I saw someone earlier in this thread say that minecraft put it's textures in %appdata%, but i can't swear to that.

EDIT: that's not totally true. I do have a few PC games that I COULD play as cross play that I COULD download onto my PC and play there but I never have so I have no idea how they actually work much less how to mod.   Ark, like 5 copies of minecraft for some reason, Gears of War 4, and a few other games, but again I have never played any of those on the PC other than a short bit on Minecraft years ago.

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

You did nothing else? Just the launch option? This would be easy.  

5 minutes ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

This change, while annoying for the "default" folder will make things far EASIER for multiple games/mods.    With the above, you put your mod files for mod XYZ in a single folder somewhere, and then make a new shortcut as above, and go.   No more need for the modlauncher(well... that is if you have a small number of fairly simple mods that you don't want to add/change often), with the biggest win being no duplicate copies of the game needed UNLESS you want to keep multiple versions of the game for playing. 

Darkness Falls A20 Shortcut
Ravenhurst A20 Shortcut

Undead Legacy Shortcut

Just make the folders somewhere, drop in that mod's content, make a shortcut with the flag and go.

Is it a bit more work to explain?  yes, but honesty not much more so.  Hell, if you think people will default their steam install folder, you could make a sample shortcut for them as part of your overhaul mod and then instructions on editing it as well in your zip file.

Honestly, once this dev build of DF is confirmed stable, i'm going to do a video on an install guide that I think will help.

35 minutes ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

Skyrim is most definitely on Gamepass as is Fallout 4 for both Xbox and PC versions.  To my knowledge, most of the Bethsda games were added to Gamepass when MS bought out Bethesda last year.   Some may or may no LONG be on gamepass, but that's besides the point.  

I have never had Gamepass for PC, but I did play Skyrim on the console and at least as of the second release in umm 2017 or so, that version did have mods, HOWEVER they were heavily curated mods and there was no way to override that list on the console version.   I have no idea about the PC version available from the MS Store if the could go and grab some random mod from Nexus or not though.

I checked in google

image.thumb.png.7c043821a63d136fb61af3957194cb26.png

Kup mean Buy in polish

Only tes online is in game pass

Is Elder Scrolls on Game Pass?

With Xbox Game Pass, you get access to The Elder Scrolls Online. It also includes 10% off all Crown Pack purchases in the Xbox Game store as long as The Elder Scrolls Online is part of the Xbox Game Pass library.

I googled too...

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/How_to_install_Skyrim_mods

Manual Installation: Download and install 7zip. Once you have downloaded the mod, open the archive (.7z, .zip or .rar) with 7zip, and click extract. Extract the files so that the files (esp, bsa, etc.) and the folders (meshes, textures, sounds, etc.) are in the Skyrim data folder (\Games\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Data).

Games\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\Data ... the Mod folder is in the game directory. But Skyrim is in Game Pass.

🤔

12 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

A lot of ranting could have been avoided if people knew beforehand what will happen. Modders could have been warned before and players informed that they need to write down the IP´s of the servers they play on and what server owners need to do so their servers can be found in the list. A matter of not even half an hour of work to post it on steam, FB, Twitter and ofc here.

I don't know why you keep trying to water this dead horse.

People know beforehand what will happen right now, because it hasn't actually fully happened yet.  I am really not sure why you are being so dense about this, because I know damn well that you're smart enough.

Again, it is only partially implemented. The old way still works just fine.

Please stop acting like the change is already fully completed and set in stone. You're just making yourself look silly.

11 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

But Skyrim is in Game Pass.

But it's extremely limited on mod support, so it's not exactly comparing apples to apples. Ark has a very similar issue.

The Game Pass edition of Skyrim Special Edition has a different executable to the Steam release, and is incompatible with the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE). Without SKSE, many of the most popular and ambitious mods won't work. According to the SKSE webpage, it may stay that way. "SKSE cannot support any potential Windows Store release of Skyrim", it says. "Windows Store applications are locked down similarly to consoles and do not allow the APIs necessary for script extenders to work." Source

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

People know beforehand what will happen right now, because it hasn't actually fully happened yet.  I am really not sure why you are being so dense about this, because I know damn well that you're smart enough.

Because it will happen in a future build.

On 4/25/2022 at 6:47 PM, Hated said:
  • Mods are now loaded from <UserDataFolder>/Mods (i.e. the folder that also stores saves, e.g. on Windows %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/Mods) in addition to <game folder>/Mods. In a future build this will change to only load from that new location so no data is written/changed in the program folder at any time.

In a future build this will change. I don't read: "In a future build this may change." or "In a future build we plan to change this."

But if it works with all Mods the way KhaineGB did it, I'm absolutely fine with that. Shortcut command "-UserDataFolder=D:\DarknessFalls" (or whatever your Mod folder is) and it's done! Great!

7 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

Because it will happen in a future release.

In a future build this will change. I don't read: "In a future build this may change." or "In a future build we plan to change this."

But if it works with all Mods the way KhaineGB did it, I'm absolutely fine with that. Shortcut command "-UserDataFolder=D:\DarknessFalls" (or whatever your Mod folder is) and it's done! Great!

I just hope that steam workshop will be added fast after gold :)

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

I checked in google

image.thumb.png.7c043821a63d136fb61af3957194cb26.png

Kup mean Buy in polish

Only tes online is in game pass

Is Elder Scrolls on Game Pass?

With Xbox Game Pass, you get access to The Elder Scrolls Online. It also includes 10% off all Crown Pack purchases in the Xbox Game store as long as The Elder Scrolls Online is part of the Xbox Game Pass library.

OR you could just believe me:

image.thumb.png.eefd60aee67ffbb8e56a3019b7edec4e.png

Notice BOTH the "Get Game Pass Included with GamePass" button AND the giant Name of the title with the worlds (PC) at the end.  This generally means it's available on both platforms for Gamepass.  

Or, on the Xbox app on windows: 

image.png.9ffd2307cf9b75ce18065f2ad84ae36f.pngPay attention to the hover text again saying "(PC)" and the "with gamepass" at the bottom, which indicates the price discount if you purchase it outright WHILE you have gamepass active.

Or one more from the Xbox app: 

image.thumb.png.8fcdded884c8cb0f11f5479a2be79ef4.png

Now, does that mean it's on Gamepass in EVERY single location around the world?  Hell I don't know.   I don't have a VPN and even if I did, I would be too lazy to check.  Is it possible that in Sweden, it's not a Gamepass title?  Perhaps!?!?!?   Germany?  Perhaps Not!?!?!?   

As well, since you referenced Poland and I don't speak Polish, I cannot go to xbox.pl, or whatever Poland's xbox site hostname is and verify that it is in fact available on the Polish implementation of Gamepass.

I can only speak for where I live and that is in the United States so I will hereby REVISE my previous statement.   

I know for a fact that in the United States, you can get Skyrim as part of Gamepass.    

36 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

Yes. It will. And before it happens and people are forced to the new way Khaine will have a tutorial video made, most mods will have the instructions posted for what users need to do, and it really won't be that big of a deal. Why?

Because TFP warned everyone months before hand and gave the community time to adapt and sort things out and the solution turns out to be very simple and allows for multiple mods to be switched to without even having to have multiple full copies of the game loaded which means even more space saved on drives everywhere.

While some ranted and whined, others got busy doing what TFP gave us the time to do-- which was to come up with solutions. So the reasons why it is dense to keep stating and restating that this horrible change has been forced upon us are:

A) Nobody is currently being forced

B) This is the grace period given for coming up with solutions (which some people got to work doing while others just sat around raging)

C) By time the change actually happens everyone will be ready

D) Turns out the change isn't nearly as horrible as people initially thought and even carries new advantages,

44 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

That's exactly what I was saying. It will happen in the future. 

It has not happened now with no warning. Which is exactly what pApA^LeGBa is trying to push in his narriative.

He keeps saying "If people knew beforehand", and "modders could have been warned".

That is literally what this update is doing. Letting people know before hand, and warning modders of the change. Additionally, it's allowing them to test the new method right here in this build before the change is actually fully implemented.

So seriously, stop it. The more you make it look like this, the more you are just pushing false information to fire off an agenda that is skewed against reality.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

But it's extremely limited on mod support, so it's not exactly comparing apples to apples. Ark has a very similar issue.

Ill be honest, i would highly expect this to be the case as it is on the Console as well.  While MS is not quite as bad as Apple in this regard, they are still exceedingly xenophobic to any third party stuff that might possibly damage their system(which is ironic based on just how lax their historic ability to prevent viruses has been).  

Bottomline for anyone: if you want "easymode" the Xbox store on PC is fine for some mods but don't get your hopes up about ever possible mod.

If you want full control, buy the steam version and realized you have to do more manual work to get it working.

I don't know how easy it is to do mods on a PC version of a title.  On the XBox for skyrim, you go into the mods menu and pick the mods you want from a list via checkboxes(and it shows you those that are not compatible if you pick two that conflict IIRC), "save" your selections, and then restart the game.   Done.

15 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

It has not happened now with no warning. Which is exactly what pApA^LeGBa is trying to push in his narriative.

I think these guys wanted a warning about the warning. But of course then they would have ranted about that and demanded a warning about the warning for the warning. Man, TFP just should have included a warning about this back in 2013 as one of the kickstarter stretch goals....

Edit:  lol…this joke is catching so many thumbs down. Too soon I guess? The crisis is over guys. Relax. :)

Edited by Roland (see edit history)