POI container question...

Morloc

I'm trying to remember...

Didn't POIs previously randomize the state of containers when they were reset by a quest?

In other words, if I had 4 cash registers which were loot-able (closed drawers), when I reset the POI the number of registers with closed drawers might change....no?

It seems like this no longer happens....or did I imagine it in the first place?

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

19 minutes ago, theFlu said:

For those I can say that the state did indeed change earlier.

And they are not now, correct?

I can't say I've seen anything change after a POI reset, but I just wanted to have others confirm this in case I was imagining it ;)

If they have become "static"....then all I can say is...boring choice 😕

Thanks,

1 minute ago, Morloc said:

And they are not now, correct?

I haven't paid attention to it enough to say anything. Somehow it felt like it was a lot less random at least - I think I was hoping to get a vending machine to change into functioning one at one POI over several quests, but it never did. But that might as well be a high chance for that specific vendo being swapped to a perma-dead one, or the chance just being low, or me being unlucky etc etc..

If you don't mind testing, you used to be able to reset a quest by logging out, to restart a quest over and over.

I know workbenches changed, in A19 anyway. It could go from working to non-working and vice versa of course. So if I found a working workbench near my base early game that was working and I had a quest there, I would cancel the quest. Of course now with A20, there are only non-working ones. I noticed the same with cars, as far as their stage in completeness, in A19, but haven't yet noticed that with A20 yet.

3 hours ago, Morloc said:

I'm trying to remember...

Didn't POIs previously randomize the state of containers when they were reset by a quest?

In other words, if I had 4 cash registers which were loot-able (closed drawers), when I reset the POI the number of registers with closed drawers might change....no?

It seems like this no longer happens....or did I imagine it in the first place?

In alpha 19, yes.

In alpha 20, I haven't noticed any changes when I clean out a POI before starting the Trader's mission. 

I believe it still works this way (as OP stated) but I haven't paid close enough attention.

Was also doing a lot of wrenching when double-dipping (clearing POI then activating quest and clearing again) which may or may not influence if it gets randomized or could just be my memory being randomized.

The POI designer has "helper" blocks which will take on one of two or more states (open or closed, or maybe one of a few different crate types, etc.). So when you build out your store you put "cash register helper" where you want the registers and then the game decides searchable/not-searchable when the POI is generated. Car helpers, med cabinet helpers, workstation helpers - lots of them.

I tested a couple of these and couldn't get them to change state after the POI was created. Looks like now each POI within a world has a fixed seed tied to it, and no matter how many times you reload a POI each "helper" will keep its configuration. If, for example, the RNG seed for a POI were (world seed + POI sequential #) it would behave like this. Auto Store #1 on the map might look different from Auto Store #2, but each store will never change after the world is generated.

It'll help with consistency - reloading a POI doesn't magically turn that empty husk of a car into a fully searchable/wrenchable one. But also a little boring.

20 hours ago, Boidster said:

reloading a POI doesn't magically turn that empty husk of a car into a fully searchable/wrenchable one. But also a little boring.

It does cut both ways of course. If the lot has 5 full cars, they'll stay full no matter how many times you do the quest.

I wonder why they (probably) changed the way this works...hopefully they're aware.

BTW...Thanks to anyone who checked/tested this stuff. I think about it while I'm at work but can't check anything directly.