epic online services ???

avecogollo

1 minute ago, avecogollo said:

Why this decision? 

Nothing was said in the patch notes

1. Future cross-platform support. Which was openly discussed by the developers long before the update released.

2. Everything was said in the Patch note. You just need to actually read it.

Server Administration and Multiplayer

To future-proof our game, including allowing us to use the latest anti-cheat and expanding to other platforms later on for future crossplay capabilities, we added Epic Online Services (EOS) to the game. For regular players this should not have any noticeable effect, you do NOT need an account on Epics platforms. EOS only knows your SteamID which is public anyway and matches that to an ID for EOS that is only valid for 7 Days to Die.

The change for server administration is in the user IDs that are used to store data and reference players, i.e. the filenames of user files, IDs in the serveradmin.xml or console output / commands which now refer to the user’s EOS ID.

I usually play 7DTD in Steam offline mode. And I found today that this Epic Online Service is constantly flooding game console with its http requests. Of course, EOS can't reach its server from my offline PC but it is trying nevertheless.

2021-12-08T22:10:22 4110.137 WRN [EOS] [LogHttp - Warning] 0000017B9A35CD80: invalid HTTP response code received. URL: https://api.epicgames.dev/sdk/v1/default?platformId=WIN, HTTP code: 0, content length: 0, actual payload size: 0
2021-12-08T22:10:22 4110.137 WRN [EOS] [LogHttp - Warning] 0000017B9A35CD80: request failed, libcurl error: 6 (Couldn't resolve host name)
2021-12-08T22:10:22 4110.137 WRN [EOS] [LogHttp - Warning] 0000017B9A35CD80: libcurl info message cache 10 (Could not resolve host: api.epicgames.dev)
2021-12-08T22:10:22 4110.137 WRN [EOS] [LogHttp - Warning] 0000017B9A35CD80: libcurl info message cache 11 (Closing connection 227)
2021-12-08T22:10:22 4110.137 WRN [EOS] [LogHttp - Warning] Retry exhausted on https://api.epicgames.dev/sdk/v1/default?platformId=WIN
2021-12-08T22:10:22 4110.137 WRN [EOS] [LogEOS - Warning] Failed to connect to the backend. ServiceName=[SDKConfig], OperationName=[GetPlatformConfigRoute], Url=[<Redacted>]
2021-12-08T22:10:22 4110.137 WRN [EOS] [LogEOS - Warning] SDK Config Platform Update Request Failed, Result Code: EOS_NoConnection, Retrying after 9.803034 seconds

• 11 months later...
On 12/7/2021 at 4:20 PM, SylenThunder said:

1. Future cross-platform support. Which was openly discussed by the developers long before the update released.

2. Everything was said in the Patch note. You just need to actually read it.

Server Administration and Multiplayer

To future-proof our game, including allowing us to use the latest anti-cheat and expanding to other platforms later on for future crossplay capabilities, we added Epic Online Services (EOS) to the game. For regular players this should not have any noticeable effect, you do NOT need an account on Epics platforms. EOS only knows your SteamID which is public anyway and matches that to an ID for EOS that is only valid for 7 Days to Die.

The change for server administration is in the user IDs that are used to store data and reference players, i.e. the filenames of user files, IDs in the serveradmin.xml or console output / commands which now refer to the user’s EOS ID.

Wasn't letting me in the game because it said it couldn't connect to epic servers.  Had to open the epic store which was a tad irritating.

There are still some issues with EOS primarily as this is the first implementation and bugs happen. If anyone is seeing issues connecting to EOS in the logs, the first thing that you should check is that you have created exclusions in your antivirus for both yhe game and saves folder. It is not enough to turn off the antivirus so the exclusions are still essential. Other culprits can include various bloatware like Asus Game First and other software that attempts to optimize your internet. As for offline players….I honestly don’t know if EOS failing connections actually mess with your ability to play the game or if it just spams the errors in your log. We can all hope that further work on this new system will fix these issues. Knowledge that tfp hired someone to work specifically on networking issues gives me great hope that this and other online issues will get addressed.

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I’ve never really understood this. What gamer doesn’t have internet?

Lol. Too often during gameplay, my internet drops out. But I won't notice any loss in FPS or anything. Only by using F1 will I see the errors in console (as mentioned above). Sure, if in a MP setting I'd know soon enough, but I usually play SP.

As of late, I have not been stopped from starting a game session because EPIC couldn't get its data collection from me. But it's happened.

Lack of EPIC connectivity should not inhibit my ability to startup my game. That is a flaw imo, not a feature. 

Wondering outloud:

Is EOS data gathering something TFP pays for? Or does EPIC pay TFP for the ability to monitor our game? Surely there's $ in there for someone. Just sayin'

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I’ve never really understood this. What gamer doesn’t have internet?

Most have internet but there are a lot of people that live in regions where it may be metered so they do not want the connection open all the time.  

3 hours ago, FA_Q2 said:

Most have internet but there are a lot of people that live in regions where it may be metered so they do not want the connection open all the time.  

I get that it just seems short sighted. I am not sure what epic uses but I know steam is like kilobits a day. The data is minimal.

On 12/4/2022 at 12:56 PM, Roland said:

I'm a little confused because that article says they are launching it "today" (article dated June 16 2022), but EOS was added in A20 which was November 2021.

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

On 12/6/2022 at 6:21 AM, Ornias said:

Question Roland, I have Epic blocked on my PC. I am assuming this will not effect my offline play?

I play disconnected from the internet at times or in offline mode because I have a few family accounts.

Have not noticed anything yet.  I assume issues that have come up from others are examples of bugs, not intentional blocking of offline play.  TFP really do not remind me of the type of game companies that want to control every aspect of your experience.