Alpha 20 Seed Thread!

SylenThunder

On 12/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, Piecekeeper00 said:

That's awesome.

I'm also running a dedicted on Nitrado and was going to use RWG for our next adventure. A big one size 10240.

I was wondering one thing though, I don't see any settings like Towns/Rivers/POIs etc in the config files like there is in the single player or in-game UI like the screenshots above.

How do we configure those on a dedicated, or can we even?

I also noticed when checking the world seed in-game, I don't see anything like the map above.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:18 AM, jhonmartin692 said:

I also noticed when checking the world seed in-game, I don't see anything like the map above.

The map that gets generated for a seed changes from version to version. To reproduce a map you have to use the exact same version in which the map was generated.

Edited by dcsobral (see edit history)

The more I generate map seeds the more they seem homogenized to me.  The things I look for are very niche, like biome size in relation to actual cities and towns, and how much of the map is actually used.  I miss Nitro and Kinggen already in a lot of ways.

6 hours ago, jhonmartin692 said:

How to find out which version a map was generated with?

Whoever posted the seed should say so. If they didn't, check the post date and find out what was the latest version available at that time -- it's not guaranteed that that's the version used, but it usually is.

16 hours ago, CLYDEFROG68 said:

Would it be possible to edit the RWG to create a map that is mostly wasteland, just with bits of other biomes dispersed inside of the wasteland?    Like if the wasteland was the only biome and the other biomes are mini-biomes within it?

Not today*, at least not with the default RWG and XML edits that i know of.    From what I understand, however there will be(MIGHT BE???) a slider in A21 that will allow you to have more control over how MUCH(ratio) of each biome, but won't allow for patches within, at least not in most random worlds.   NOTE: cities CANNOT cross boundry biome borders at ALL in the RWG and there seems to be no way to prevent that.   Biomes are placed first, then terrain(mountains, hills, rivers, etc), and THEN finally cities/towns, and then wilderness POI's, after all of that roads are drawn.    That is why cities won't cross boundaries as the tile system won't let it, at least on A20.

*  You can easily paint a map after you generated it the way you want the biomes, check the Mods section.   You just open the biomes file in an image editor pick the right color, go nuts, and save it back.

On 4/30/2022 at 2:40 PM, JoeDaFrogman said:

Not today*, at least not with the default RWG and XML edits that i know of.    From what I understand, however there will be(MIGHT BE???) a slider in A21 that will allow you to have more control over how MUCH(ratio) of each biome, but won't allow for patches within, at least not in most random worlds.   NOTE: cities CANNOT cross boundry biome borders at ALL in the RWG and there seems to be no way to prevent that.   Biomes are placed first, then terrain(mountains, hills, rivers, etc), and THEN finally cities/towns, and then wilderness POI's, after all of that roads are drawn.    That is why cities won't cross boundaries as the tile system won't let it, at least on A20.

*  You can easily paint a map after you generated it the way you want the biomes, check the Mods section.   You just open the biomes file in an image editor pick the right color, go nuts, and save it back.

Biome sliders are confirmed for alpha 21 (see link below). It was further reported that you could even have a single biome for the whole map. The trader quest is still bugged if you don't have a trader in a forest, and they are looking at it but there's no fix for that at this stage.

Alpha 21 dev diary thread: 

9 hours ago, Loki said:

A20.4 Australia Lake seed

Map has a lake in the forest that vaguely looks like Australia, which I thought was handy, since I run Au/NZ servers..

map.png

now that is a good seed right there! 2 waste cities for mid game exploration and some in the cities 

I have noticed that many of the map posted on this thread lack something.  There seems to be a biome that does not have a city in each one.  I have solved this problem by changing the settings.  This is the result of my first attempt.  The trick is to set the towns to many and the wilderness POIs to few.  If you have the towns set to many, the map generator seems to try to cram all the "many" wilderness POI's into one biome, therefore making that biome not have a city.  I'm going to do a few of these, but this is the first.  Behold!  Neebs!spacer.png

Hey, I know this 10k map is not quite vanilla but I think if you regen with the same settings not using Undead Legacy it should work fine (it could work for vanilla anyway? I am not sure).

• 2 Cities (2 Snow)
  • 6 Towns (1 Forest, 1 Desert, 2 Snow, 2 Wasteland)
  • 25 Country Towns
  • 15 Old West Towns
  • 800 Wilderness POIs
  • 6 Traders
  • 119 Tier 4 POIs
  • 15 Tier 5 POIs

ul_overview.thumb.jpg.d2e3bce7e59f498b8c0ae9f047670926.jpg

Details of all the settings used, map download and more screenshots (customised version of Improved RWG mod):

Edited by MikeyUK (see edit history)

On 5/7/2022 at 2:24 PM, Ellorra said:

I have noticed that many of the map posted on this thread lack something.  There seems to be a biome that does not have a city in each one.  I have solved this problem by changing the settings.  This is the result of my first attempt.  The trick is to set the towns to many and the wilderness POIs to few.  If you have the towns set to many, the map generator seems to try to cram all the "many" wilderness POI's into one biome, therefore making that biome not have a city.  I'm going to do a few of these, but this is the first.  Behold!  Neebs!spacer.png

Changing Wilderness POIs has no impact on the map. Every feature on the map is done sequentially and changing the setting for a feature causes changes in all subsequent features. Wilderness POIs is the last feature to be generated so it doesn't cause anything else to change. Here's the same seed with the same settings except Wilderness POI's set to Many:

image.thumb.png.2f2ab483e7f5901bc497ea5ffc4aac4c.png

In fact, if you are searching for seeds you might as well generate the maps with Wilderness POIs None, and then re-generate whatever seed you liked with a Wilderness POIs set to something else.

Hey Everybody,

So when I go to create a random map I can do so by giving it some random name and then the territory comes up.  What I don't understand is how some random name is tied to some random territory.  Is it all just random?  Or is there some logic to it?

Are all the seed names in this thread just names you all came up with?

Thanks in advance!

The purpose of the territory name is to obfuscate the seed so that people can't replicate your world on their SP game and fly around finding all the best stuff and then exploit that on your map. Of course, if they look at their output log after a session in your world I believe they can find the seed anyway...

On 5/12/2022 at 8:28 AM, zombiehunter said:

Hey Everybody,

So when I go to create a random map I can do so by giving it some random name and then the territory comes up.  What I don't understand is how some random name is tied to some random territory.  Is it all just random?  Or is there some logic to it?

Are all the seed names in this thread just names you all came up with?

Thanks in advance!

Every seed corresponds to a world. How that correspondence works is random, but the same seed will always generate the same world, as long as the generation settings and the 7d2d version are the same as well.

The seeds I shared are created by picking words randomly out of a dictionary. An adjective followed by a noun. I just do it that way because it makes it easier to memorize the seed name.

Edited by dcsobral (see edit history)