Alpha 20 Seed Thread!

SylenThunder

8 minutes ago, TensorTime said:

Ah ok you have hills = 2 in your original post that's why I was trying to sort this out.  If it is supposed to be hills = 3 you probably need to edit the original post.

Again man, thank you!

--tensor

Well crap.. now I feel embarrassed.  I fixed it.   And yes that change would create a completely different grouping of towns and stuff.

11 minutes ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

Well crap.. now I feel embarrassed.  I fixed it.   And yes that change would create a completely different grouping of towns and stuff.

Seriously don't man,  the amount of work you put in is crazy and awesome!  

Thank you!

--tensor

14 minutes ago, TensorTime said:

Seriously don't man,  the amount of work you put in is crazy and awesome!  

Thank you!

--tensor

Check out the ones Dan did as well.. he wrote most of the code for doing the initial generation and most importantly how the rating is determined(still up in the air if will remain the same long term).  I am still working on the code to compile the seed's important data into a spreadsheet, likely another week or so at least.

@JoeDaFrogmanHello,

Great stuff, thank you for the work.  I really like this map.  Since I am new to the game it allows me to hide in the forest for the time being and the area distribution  is more to my expections of a biome.  Anyways, only one question.  If I were to use your settings, but generate a 10k world instead, would like I get this result in a larger map?  Or would that be a nasty curveball on the world gen?

SomatologicalConsciences-8192

Again, thank you.

Rotor

6 minutes ago, Rotor said:

@JoeDaFrogmanHello,

Great stuff, thank you for the work.  I really like this map.  Since I am new to the game it allows me to hide in the forest for the time being and the area distribution  is more to my expections of a biome.  Anyways, only one question.  If I were to use your settings, but generate a 10k world instead, would like I get this result in a larger map?  Or would that be a nasty curveball on the world gen?

Again, thank you.

Rotor

Completely different world.  May be complete garbage or may be amazing.   Things WILL be in different places and that would affect the rating

24 minutes ago, Rotor said:

@JoeDaFrogmanHello,

Again, thank you.

Rotor

Completely different world and full of SUCK.  Don't do 10k seeds, they are generally horrible for ratings because things are spread out so far.    The point of the seeds I an Dan posted, which is a currated list of a less than 150 total seeds of 8k size is that they DO NOT suck when the definition of not suck is "lots of interesting things very close to a specific point in the world, which is the best point to place your base due to proximity to things that are interesting).  

For comparison, Here is that world using the same settings at 10k and it comes in well under the rating(~8k rating vs original ~19k rating) of the original 8k map and looks completely different as well:

image.thumb.png.483e535ca121145c1eb2410b82625fda.png

it also took WELL over twice as long to generated JUST inside of 7d2d, and about 2.5 times for an 8k seed to complete the entire process of rating, drawing the preview maps, etc.    I won't be making any 10k maps because frankly, they are not worth it as you would have to spend a 2 or 3 times as long to generate EACH map and then because the ratings suck you would throw more away(I discard anything with a rating below 15000 which means it would take an inordinate amount of time to get any halfway decent seeds.)

The code is out there if anyone wants to play with it and spend their time, but neither Dan nor I are going to do more than a few one offs.

Thank you for trying.  I understand what you are doing.  I am just one of the ones that likes to roam, not necessarily be within 1k of stuff to do.  

The biomes distribution and ability to roam at times without seeing a house is my playstyle :).

I will just have to hit generate, and see what I get.  I wont be running the ratings thing.

I have done more searching around the forums.  It appears KinGen might be my answer if it gets fixed for A20.

Again, thank you.

Regards,

Rotor

Hey guys, anyone has a map seed (not map name :)) with all flat no mountains, no cracks/craters, no water, and like maybe one small forest area 10% just enough for small city, small desert 10% (same as forest) and then snown and wasteland taking the rest roughtly equally ? We wanna test the new loot system and quickly move from starting area to what sound to be now mid/end game biome snow and wasteland! We tried a couple of time with the ingame map generator but can choose how much of each biomes you get so, no luck there so far. If you have a couple even if it is no same ratio if that is flat, we could give it a try run, cheers ! ;) Happy New Year to All !

Edited by Goratrix (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Goratrix said:

Hey guys, anyone has a map seed (not map name :)) with all flat no mountains, no cracks/craters, no water, and like maybe one small forest area 10% just enough for small city, small desert 10% (same as forest) and then snown and wasteland taking the rest roughtly equally ? We wanna test the new loot system and quickly move from starting area to what sound to be now mid/end game biome snow and wasteland! We tried a couple of time with the ingame map generator but can choose how much of each biomes you get so, no luck there so far. If you have a couple even if it is no same ratio if that is flat, we could give it a try run, cheers ! ;) Happy New Year to All !

No offense, but if YOU gave up on making maps with no features, why would you think anyone else would want to stick to that?      

If you only goal is to test the loot system per biome stuff, there are plenty of maps that let you do that easily including mine and Dan's that have a primary base location in/near Snow or wasteland.   You do know you can easily change the spawn points as well to put you where ever you want to spawn, including having only a singular spawn right?

Dan is using one of my spawns and moved to the Snow after, I want to say day 4 or so in his playthrough(BihariScientology) because it had the best rating.   BrachyurousDo-it-yourselfer has a high group of forest cities with a wasteland city nearby and the best base location in the wasteland and there are plenty of other examples. 

36 minutes ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

No offense, but if YOU gave up on making maps with no features, why would you think anyone else would want to stick to that?      

If you only goal is to test the loot system per biome stuff, there are plenty of maps that let you do that easily including mine and Dan's that have a primary base location in/near Snow or wasteland.   You do know you can easily change the spawn points as well to put you where ever you want to spawn, including having only a singular spawn right?

Dan is using one of my spawns and moved to the Snow after, I want to say day 4 or so in his playthrough(BihariScientology) because it had the best rating.   BrachyurousDo-it-yourselfer has a high group of forest cities with a wasteland city nearby and the best base location in the wasteland and there are plenty of other examples. 

Sorry buddy if that did offended you in some ways, but we are not that much into it to know what or even how to do it, we touched base a bit with Nitrogen about 2 years ago but that about as far as how techy we can be. Now we just wanna try that new version as it does look appealing and changing the game, again to be honest I was thrilled for the armor sets but alas they arent there so nothing much for me, but we are a group of 4 to 6 IRLs friends that plays the game and wanna try this version. 

Again no idea about what maps you have set up, I read the post until that 5th page, yet again diddnt understand how to get the info, I logged into a google page but didnt understand so went away.

If that aint complicated I ll touch base with some of my friends so they can have a look and see if they get it, if not, no bnother we ll figure it out ourselves. 

We prefer to use the 7D2D modlauncher as it does everything you dont have to know how to do stuff like change spawns as you mentionned, it is straight forward and that is just what we need, not to spend hours on tutorials on how to do this and that, just play the game :) 

Thanks for your reply, again sorry if that offended your gamer persona but it was not intended. 

Have a Great Day ! 

2 minutes ago, Goratrix said:

Sorry buddy if that did offended you in some ways, but we are not that much into it to know what or even how to do it, we touched base a bit with Nitrogen about 2 years ago but that about as far as how techy we can be. Now we just wanna try that new version as it does look appealing and changing the game, again to be honest I was thrilled for the armor sets but alas they arent there so nothing much for me, but we are a group of 4 to 6 IRLs friends that plays the game and wanna try this version. 

Not offended( I just sound that way all the time, sorry), just wondering why you think someone else might have anywhere near as strict requirements as you do and those are strict.    While I could be wrong, I just don't think anyone is going to spend any time making perfect flat worlds for themselves, much less to share so you are likely going to be waiting for a very long time or you have to end up doing it yourself.  Since you pointed out you tried a few(not sure if that means 5 or 50 to you) and did not like the ones you got before you gave up that is especially more evidence that fewer people would do in bulk to meet your requirements.  

Again no idea about what maps you have set up, I read the post until that 5th page, yet again diddnt understand how to get the info, I logged into a google page but didnt understand so went away.

If that aint complicated I ll touch base with some of my friends so they can have a look and see if they get it, if not, no bnother we ll figure it out ourselves. 

We prefer to use the 7D2D modlauncher as it does everything you dont have to know how to do stuff like change spawns as you mentionned, it is straight forward and that is just what we need, not to spend hours on tutorials on how to do this and that, just play the game :) 

I have over 80 seeds that were generated with the same settings and filtered to high quality maps.   Take a look and find one you like the look of.   As I said, the spawn points are easy to edit if you want to spawn near a specific place OR ensure you spawn at one of the specific pre-made spawn points.   If you can determine an x/y coordinate from 7th grade geomotry then editing the spawn points is exceedingly simple.   If you nd your friends can't determine cannot determine x/y coordinates(and thats ok, some people are really @%$#ty with spatial geometry) and you cant edit a picture and draw a big red X, I can tell you how to do so in 5 lines of instructions, it's nothing complicated.

On 1/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, Goratrix said:

I posted a bunch of seeds that were all flat, no cracks/crates/water. Some of them had massive cities in the snow and wasteland. What is it about them that you didn't like?

On 1/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, Goratrix said:

Also, what seed size are you looking for? Be aware that you won't get those percentages of biome area, but getting that percentage in urban area in these biomes is definitely doable.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:41 AM, dcsobral said:

I posted a bunch of seeds that were all flat, no cracks/crates/water. Some of them had massive cities in the snow and wasteland. What is it about them that you didn't like?

Hey we did had a look and after consideration we voted for the " PalaeoceneCerography " but no idea how to get the actual seed. Again we are not evry techy or aware of the mechanisms involved. 

To be honest we just want to have a map with Snow and wasteland are more than maybe 70% of the map, like to have a small forest area for starter, and tiny desert just to try it but then to move on snow and wasteland. 

No water, all flat ( we cant be arsed to waste time to go around mountains and water just for the sake of it, as it is useless ).

I am personally looking forward to see what they are going to do with A21 and water change, maybe some vehicules would be epic and new Zs, but mostly I cant wait for the armor sets ! 

Thanks again for your time and replying, really appreciate it !!! Cheers.

On 12/26/2021 at 8:36 PM, SirQwerx said:

I'd love to figure this out as well - and I think it might be manually possible after the fact, if I were to import the heightmap as a layer in Paint.NET, and use that to guide the editing.  You'd then need to start a new game with the updated biome.png to make it take. 

I haven't paid close enough attention to this thread. This is actually very easy to do. I see that Joe posted a contour map I generate as well, but this is WAY easier than the contour map. All we need to know if the elevation is above a certain threshold, then change the biomes map accordingly. 

For example, looking at the seed I'm using I can see that the most common elevations are between 34m and 39m, but it goes all the way up to 226m. The water level is fixed at 29m in alpha 20. So where exactly is the "mountain peaks"? Here's what the elevation looks like in this map (this is upside-down because that's what Unity uses):

dtm8.thumb.jpg.0240ee9b24750657db578b2e459dc2a2.jpg

Ideally, the mountains would be the white "dots" we see, but to find out what that is takes a bit of trial and error. I tried a few numbers and 100m looked good enough to me:

m.thumb.jpg.d148b292cc14364a008de50375f60741.jpg

That was produced with the following command:

magick convert -size 8192x8192 -depth 16 gray:dtm.raw -flip -threshold 25600 -transparent black m.png

(the image I pasted was further transformed to reduce its size and remove the transparency)

Everything up to "-flip" is just how the elevation image, dtm.raw, must be handled. They don't have metadata so one must specify size and depth, and they are upside-down. Then -threshold splits the image in all colors below 25600 (100 times 256, since 1m = 256): everything above is white, everything below is black. Then I turn black into transparent so I can overlay that on top of the biome image later on. 

As it happens, snow is white in the biomes image which is rather convenient. This is what my biomes look like:

BihariScientology-8192-biomes.thumb.png.b3d781786278416411c4f7352ab7ebd3.png

And then I overlay the "mountains" on top of it with this command:

magick convert biomes.png m.png -composite biomes-m.png

And I get the biomes below, which I could then use instead of my current biomes:

biomes-m.thumb.png.a0bf4cb316b38055988763539e8a0dfa.png

And here are some screenshots afterwards:

A20.0_2022-01-05_10-35-58.thumb.jpg.45d07fde14678948a0614ed4f92e13c7.jpg

A20.0_2022-01-05_10-39-00.thumb.jpg.3a05d530441ab2b8062564db0bffe84c.jpg

Edited by dcsobral
screenshots (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Goratrix said:

Hey we did had a look and after consideration we voted for the " PalaeoceneCerography " but no idea how to get the actual seed. Again we are not evry techy or aware of the mechanisms involved. 

To be honest we just want to have a map with Snow and wasteland are more than maybe 70% of the map, like to have a small forest area for starter, and tiny desert just to try it but then to move on snow and wasteland. 

No water, all flat ( we cant be arsed to waste time to go around mountains and water just for the sake of it, as it is useless ).

I am personally looking forward to see what they are going to do with A21 and water change, maybe some vehicules would be epic and new Zs, but mostly I cant wait for the armor sets ! 

Thanks again for your time and replying, really appreciate it !!! Cheers.

Are you using a server or joining the game someone started? To create the map you have to go to Editing Tools on the main menu, then Random Gen Previewer, then fill things like below:

A20.0_2022-01-05_10-46-03.thumb.jpg.1ca23fe36802bf3541b5cf9cd19190eb.jpg

Click "Generate World" and then wait. It took a bit over 3 minutes on my computer.

If you are joining the game someone started then you have to select "Royoxifo Territory" as your world when you start a new game:

A20.0_2022-01-05_10-53-57.thumb.jpg.f52c2b63e7d8158a00db22701078b1b7.jpg

If you are playing on a server, things are more complicated. You'd have to create the world like above then copy it to the server -- I can help with that too but I'd need to know more details, like are you running the server from steam or using a commercial one, and if a commercial one what is the provider?

7 hours ago, dcsobral said:

Are you using a server or joining the game someone started? To create the map you have to go to Editing Tools on the main menu, then Random Gen Previewer, then fill things like below <snip>...

I'm a newbie to 7D2D and just getting into seeds, etc. I struggled a little at first to understand how to use the seeds to generate a map and play it. A couple bits of it aren't that intuitive. I noticed also another poster earlier talking to @JoeDaFrogman had some issues and Joe replied with similar content to yourself. So this seems recurring.

Perhaps some of us can put together a wiki article or something similar describing this? (I assume there isn't one yet - I've searched but with no luck). Then the OP @SylenThunder could even edit a link into the first post? It might be useful? I'd be happy to help out - I am used to wikis although new to 7D2D.

8 minutes ago, Surf said:

I'm a newbie to 7D2D and just getting into seeds, etc. I struggled a little at first to understand how to use the seeds to generate a map and play it. A couple bits of it aren't that intuitive. I noticed also another poster earlier talking to @JoeDaFrogman had some issues and Joe replied with similar content to yourself. So this seems recurring.

Perhaps some of us can put together a wiki article or something similar describing this? (I assume there isn't one yet - I've searched but with no luck). Then the OP @SylenThunder could even edit a link into the first post? It might be useful? I'd be happy to help out - I am used to wikis although new to 7D2D.

If you wanna, go for it.  Im sure some people will read it, but honestly I find people tend to just not read stuff.   I would wish that the fun pimps would edit the "start new world" screen to make it easier and EITHER a) put a play button on the advanced generation screen, OR b) automatically select(but not load and start!) the generated world when you click "Back" from the advanced g4eneration screen

22 hours ago, JoeDaFrogman said:

If you wanna, go for it.  Im sure some people will read it, but honestly I find people tend to just not read stuff.   I would wish that the fun pimps would edit the "start new world" screen to make it easier and EITHER a) put a play button on the advanced generation screen, OR b) automatically select(but not load and start!) the generated world when you click "Back" from the advanced g4eneration screen

Sadly you are probably right. I guess I figured at the least we would have a link we can send people who ask the recurring question.

I'll steal from yourself and dcsobral then post the link here to see what you all think.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:06 AM, Piecekeeper00 said:

That's awesome.

I'm also running a dedicted on Nitrado and was going to use RWG for our next adventure. A big one size 10240.

I was wondering one thing though, I don't see any settings like Towns/Rivers/POIs etc in the config files like there is in the single player or in-game UI like the screenshots above.

How do we configure those on a dedicated, or can we even?

The only way I have been able to get use from the sliders is to generate the map 1st  on my P.C. using the tools and then uploading the files. Only is on the server I cant find a way to change it.

2 hours ago, TruDatDopey said:

The only way I have been able to get use from the sliders is to generate the map 1st  on my P.C. using the tools and then uploading the files. Only is on the server I cant find a way to change it.

To the best of my knowledge, you can't.   As far as I have "heard", no one at the fun pimps has made a definitive statement on this.    As you said, generate it on your machine and upload to the server.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, jetZeds said:

image.thumb.png.0037acd354a8a0c1be9d90b10d0e56f8.png

For those who wish to play in the Wasteland

Can anyone help here?  I'm running these EXACT same settings and getting a completely different map/world.  

Is anyone else able to use these exact settings here and get the exact same results?

22 hours ago, Surf said:

Ok @dcsobral, @JoeDaFrogman and anyone else interested I gave it a go - check out the Custom Seed World Generation article in the wiki.

I welcome any suggestions or other constructive feedback.

I assume no one has answers to the following.. but it really needs to be included in a true Wiki:

- What do each of the sliders actually do?  For example, Mountains.  What's the specific difference between leaving it at 1 vs 10?

- What does "Random" slider do? 

I realize a lot of information on this game and especially from "TFP" who are notorious for being completely silent on any meaningful details... doesn't exist and modders often have to guess.