A Possible Tweak to the Random Horde Night Concept

Stranded_Napkin

So, I have my issues with the game but I deal with them. Been thinking about different ways to play and some of the changes for A20. They're adding a lot of settings for people to make their own, at least in playstyle. One thing people already do is the random horde nights. I haven't done this but I did have a thought about how to push it further. I am one of those realism types who b*tched and complained about LBD being removed as well as the current loot system. I still stand by that but I only mention it as a reference to my perspective.

I got to thinking about other ways to push the game towards a real world event. The random horde night makes sense. You wouldn't know when the horde would cross your path. The random roaming hordes are lame. I'm 25 days into the current game, built up my gamestage, and my roaming hordes are still 10 or less. Yes this can be modded but it still fits the "you know basically when something will happen" same old mold.

This is where the random horde night idea comes in. So, instead of simply having random horde nights, you simply have random hordes. Instead of it being a designated time of day, you get a massive horde at whatever time it is. If it's day, the horde is bigger and stronger since you have the benefit of daylight. If it's night, you get the typical horde for your gamestage. Now, you have to be on your toes. If you're out when the warning comes, or the horde if there was no warning, you may or may not be ready.

Just an idea. Not sure if anybody else would go for it. Yeah, it's just a game, but I enjoy elements of realism.

1 hour ago, Stranded_Napkin said:

One thing people already do is the random horde nights. I haven't done this but I did have a thought about how to push it further.

Maybe you should try the random setting we currently have. You can make it so that the only warning you have is the thunder a few hours before the event starts. Play 40 minute days and that warning gives you very little time. If you are out doing a quest there is a good chance you will be caught out in it. I like your idea of random times in addition to random days but if you admit you haven't even tried the random days yet, maybe you should. Set it to be random every 1-8 days and set the warning to none. Then give yourself 40 minute days and see what you think. Maybe you'll feel like that is random enough or maybe you'll still want it so that the horde could come at any random time of any random day.

If we're reworking existing assets to improve the experience, perhaps the screamer needs to be screaming at regular intervals and leading a train of zombies around, and she has a secondary scream to alert them of your presence and give them a bit of temporary running speed to make uncommon zombies more of a threat.

Imagine looting a small house and you hear a scream in the distance. You know a larger group of zombies is heading your way. Do you hide inside and hope they pass you by? Or do you fight with whatever gear you have on you? Maybe you take out the screamer with a silenced rifle and let the horde naturally disperse to become less of a threat.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with OP and I'd love if there were wandering horde settings. Just so you can fiddle with them to your liking.

Lately I've been enjoying this modlet for DF mod that eliminates BM horde but it randomizes wandering hordes and can throw them at you any time... and in force 😁

14 hours ago, eXSe said:

Lately I've been enjoying this modlet for DF mod that eliminates BM horde but it randomizes wandering hordes and can throw them at you any time... and in force

yep.. think the Romero Mod is just what he is looking for..

(and may have already found it by now..)

Since I’ve also been in search of some crazy action I was thinking in the lines of BM horde daily at a random time with minimal warning. Now you have to make do with whatever POI you can reach and reinforce before the horde. I’ve started looking into this but it seems there’s currently no way of changing the BM time to random. For those in the know is BM Time = 'random' a config an option in A20?

On 10/13/2021 at 2:13 AM, Roland said:

You can make it so that the only warning you have is the thunder a few hours before the event starts.

I'd like to be able to turn off the thunder and red sky so there was no hint of notice given.

I'd like to be able to randomize the start time too, that way you don't just look around at 10pm every night.

Other than that, the randomization settings work well. I tend to take on hordes in the open, so getting caught away from base isn't really a problem.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

I am actually thinking of doing horde every night the next time I play to ensure I have more to do in the wee hours. I thinking construction should definitely increase heat much faster than it currently does. All that noise from hammers would attract zeds within earshot pretty easily.

For me horde night every night would eventually deplete all my resources.

Obviously one solution would be to increase resource gain, another solution would be something like smaller horde nights every night except on "real" horde nights. I.e. such sub-horde nights would spawn the zombies according to gamestage but their number would be fixed at a much lower number so the horde night would last only 1-2 hours.

On 10/13/2021 at 12:13 AM, Roland said:

Maybe you should try the random setting we currently have. You can make it so that the only warning you have is the thunder a few hours before the event starts. Play 40 minute days and that warning gives you very little time. If you are out doing a quest there is a good chance you will be caught out in it. I like your idea of random times in addition to random days but if you admit you haven't even tried the random days yet, maybe you should. Set it to be random every 1-8 days and set the warning to none. Then give yourself 40 minute days and see what you think. Maybe you'll feel like that is random enough or maybe you'll still want it so that the horde could come at any random time of any random day.

the random warning is even better on 10 min days :)