my slight Problem with 7DTD

I am not hating on the game, i just want to voice my little issue with the game. if you have been on the forums for awhile you might have seen my post about ideas and such for the game and me giving feedback on stuff. Although i have only played the PC version for maybe 3 years now I have played the Xbox version for a Long time (not anymore cuz its broken but nothing TFP can do), So please don't take this post as Someone who does not know what they are talking about or making points that make no sense (AKA being a game journalist) *This is a Disclaimer sense the title does seem a bit harsh IMO sense i love this game but i want to voice my Opinion*

So my main problem with 7DTD now its that its getting "Simplified". Now making some things more simple is fine, like the item levels for tools, weapons Armors etc, but some things just seem like they are diluting it for the sake of it. 

Take Survival for example. Back then you needed a Pot to find water. if you drinked dirty water you got dysentery. infections where a bit Harsher and weather was also Harsher and Ammo was much more rare. in fact it was best to craft or buy ammo from Mr Joel. But now its much more simple and not for the Better imo. Pots are really not needed for water it only ups the speed. the times when you don't have a Jar and only a can moments are now gone, Dysentery is so Rare now, I was pleased when i drank some @%$#water and got sick. Food kinda always had it easy but during A18 (or was it 19) Canned foods where the way to go sense if you ate any other food you had a small chance to get sick. it was Short lived and ALOT of people hated it, As did I. but i think now it would have been ok if some of the basic foods did that while more complex ones didn't.  Back then we had a changing temperature. if you Were in the Shade you would cool down and if you were out in the sun you got warm. and each biome had its ups and downs in terms of temperature. And ammo AND guns are so easy to find that they had to make a Filter depending on your level on what you find. though ammo is a bit more common then it was in A15, 16 and 17. 

Also i think more diseases would be nice to add some danger 

Next is Perks, during A15, 16 perks and skills where a bit more Complex (not by alot but some) there was LBD in A 15 and 16 and it was Gutted (RIP LBD rest in Peace). and the Best way i can describe the Perk system now is how it was in Fallout 3 and NV to Fallout 4, it was turned a lot more simple. now it based off "What skill you want to have/Base" It's not what perk will help me survive" to "What skill i want for *Blank*" What i wish they did was a Mix of both Learn by doing and the new way of perks. 

say if you're someone like me who likes to uses a Mix of weapons, Most weapon damage is not based off of Skill its more based of the perks. if you go to intelect you are really good with a stun baton but bad with clubs. you like to dismember zombies? Put more perks in *Blank*  

I really don't know how to describe my feeling for Perks in text 

Next is Weapons, Back when i Played it was a reward to get a gun. for about 14 days At most i had a Handgun but ammo was rare. i had to uses my bow most of the time. Now i LOVE having extra weapons in the game. but it seems like they want you to uses guns over even most melee weapons. Some melee weapons are Very weak like Knives and IMO when i uses a Blade without perks i mostly uses the Machetes the other blades become crap unless i have nothing else to uses (and that's rare) 

and some weapon classes take up better roles then others. For example Snipers and ARs. there is no difference aside from damage, fire rate and Mag size 
What about snipers deal more damage from a Far while ARs deal more damage the longer you fire, Shotguns are king really. once you get a auto shotgun Nothing is Scary and if you put slugs in it and get the shotgun perk, nothing stands in your way. the game should be a bit more Harsher, Like shotguns deal Alot of damage but are loud and can draw in more zombies.  

Next is Biomes. I HATE what they did with them. Now my feeling may change when A20 comes out but for now. i hate how it is. The forest is like the Garden of eden. Now the spawning in the Forest is a good idea but in random gen. it is so dumb sense the forest is the biggest AREA while the others get the shaft! do you want to see a Forest on the coast? thats really rare. i like the randomness of seeing biomes mixed and not placed in a way that would look unnatural. again its another thing thats is hard for me to explain 

Building. I already talk about this alot but i feel like they are gutting building becauses why not. Now i get it make things simple is ok but at what cost. NOW they want to get rid of renfoced wood and want to go with (wood, stone, concrete and steel) So many tiers are gone. thank god they still have metal building frames but i wish it was part of the based building tier. and so many are gone now somewhere kinda useless like wood and metal but Scrap looked good for the game and its setting. IMO. and also Most people build with rock now at the beginning over wood. and its really easy to upgrade to brick. IMO the tiers should go (Wood, Reinforced wood, Brick, Scrap, Reinforced scrap, Concrete and steel) 

and the Windows! they messes with the windows! WHY! back then you had to upgrade each board on the window. then you could add scarp and then Steel.  now you can just upgrade one window and get all boards that are very weak and the zombies don't have to break each board off instead if they break it the whole window is gone. bruh! 

Next is Armor... wait no i like how they are doing the armor. i just hope they add some more like military gear and stuff

Next is Animals, this is going to be short. i think alot of animals need some TLC. like Bears they look funny when they run same for wolves and pigs. and i still think some of the more exclusive animals that spawn in other biomes should spawn in others like Mountain lions can spawn in the deserts and forest to add some more danger and Coyotes can spawn almost anywhere. and Snakes can spawn in the forest. 

Last is zombies. I don't like what they are doing to the radioactive zombies in a way. i think its good they can make room for new zombies but at the same time. why can't they just make a Radioactive zombie to fit in the role all of them did. like a burned zombie but he is as strong as a Radioactive moe. heals himself and others slowly. emits rads to damage your max hp Stamina and food an water. but are rare unless in wasteland or in much later days.  Also although its not confirmed but, i don't want them to get rid of the Feral wight. they could do alot with it, like make it a super zombie. 
Also i kinda wish some zombies did act differently like spider zombies can hop over walls if they see a wall like a Castle wall. they can just leap up there, 

Overall i really don't know why i made this, maybe to get it off my mind or something idk. have a good day

I mod the game to spawn 8x-16x the amount of zombies. There's also a mod where you can make them die in 1 hit to the head but are immune to body damage. You can even cut off all their limbs and they'll stay alive trying to bite you. All the simplifications seem balanced after that, since you've got 100 zombies in every chunk and they're all trying to kill you, you don't have much time to worry about stat numbers.

its just change bro. that makes most of us uneasy.

imagine how different 7dtd 2 will be from a19. that makes me exited.

how can the same process make me uneasy and exited at the same time?

apart from me being a bit weird that is...

answer? i dont know and cant be bothered working it out

im still enjoying the ride as it changes.

when it settles down, i will learn to mod it, and then the true fun begins. i got sooooo many ideas.... 

15 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

wait no i like how they are doing....

What you like someone else will hate and vice versa. At least you were around to play things before they changed so have fond memories of those playthroughs. That's what I do, remember the old versions fondly but take the new version on its own merits and most of the time it still is a lot of fun.

I love all the new models and I love all the junk intellect stuff they added. Melee combat is still pretty basic, but I have to say it is much better than it used to be, AI pathing is way better than it used to be. All the stuff that a lot of people complained about to make the blood moon more difficult I greatly appreciate (digging zombies, swimming zombies, aggro vultures). Weapon/tool/armor mods were a great addition.

My favorite part of the game was always the very first days. So many times I restarted just to experience it again. It was sometimes intense and a real struggle. I've broken sweat trying to find that cooking pot in the past. 

I'm not going to get into details with the skill system (yet again). I'll just say I'm disappointed with them. At this point I probably wouldn't mind if there weren't any skill points at all and the character you build randomly depends on the books you find.

Building simplification I'm not that upset about. What I hope for in exchange though is that there is more defined progression. People need to experience several blood moons with only wood and then slowly progress into stone and beyond. It should feel good moving up in materials. The progression with weapons and such was out of whack for a while, but it's pretty decent now. I'm hoping they find a good way to have a player progress into being able to handle different biomes as well giving the player a real need to enter different biomes.

For years I've been craving special zombies with unique behaviors and abilities. I sometimes wish they could just forget about the whole bandit thing and focus on providing this.

oh... and I'll never understand the helicopter idea. Maybe, just maybe, if we had giant maps I might think it was a good idea. I just don't get it. Ziplines make the game too easy for players, but a helicopter is fine?

6 hours ago, Roland said:

What you like someone else will hate and vice versa. At least you were around to play things before they changed so have fond memories of those playthroughs. That's what I do, remember the old versions fondly but take the new version on its own merits and most of the time it still is a lot of fun.

Agree but some alphas do things better then other. maybe once the game goes gold someone can mod the game to more like old 7dtd but have many of the new things. 

but then again i like to play the game vanllia and only mod a game if i have too *cough fallout 4*

I just don't want them to Water down the game so much. i love many of the new things like the new idea for armor sense Most of the time. you will not wear say Biker boots over Any other boot armor. and the new armors look cool. i just hope they got more and i bet 90% that they do

11 hours ago, geengaween said:

I mod the game to spawn 8x-16x the amount of zombies. There's also a mod where you can make them die in 1 hit to the head but are immune to body damage. You can even cut off all their limbs and they'll stay alive trying to bite you. All the simplifications seem balanced after that, since you've got 100 zombies in every chunk and they're all trying to kill you, you don't have much time to worry about stat numbers.

well that mod just sounds like hell. but you do you. 

i like to uses the things the devs gives us but there are some things i disagree with what they do.

4 hours ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

I love all the new models and I love all the junk intellect stuff they added. Melee combat is still pretty basic, but I have to say it is much better than it used to be, AI pathing is way better than it used to be. All the stuff that a lot of people complained about to make the blood moon more difficult I greatly appreciate (digging zombies, swimming zombies, aggro vultures). Weapon/tool/armor mods were a great addition.

My favorite part of the game was always the very first days. So many times I restarted just to experience it again. It was sometimes intense and a real struggle. I've broken sweat trying to find that cooking pot in the past. 

I'm not going to get into details with the skill system (yet again). I'll just say I'm disappointed with them. At this point I probably wouldn't mind if there weren't any skill points at all and the character you build randomly depends on the books you find.

Building simplification I'm not that upset about. What I hope for in exchange though is that there is more defined progression. People need to experience several blood moons with only wood and then slowly progress into stone and beyond. It should feel good moving up in materials. The progression with weapons and such was out of whack for a while, but it's pretty decent now. I'm hoping they find a good way to have a player progress into being able to handle different biomes as well giving the player a real need to enter different biomes.

For years I've been craving special zombies with unique behaviors and abilities. I sometimes wish they could just forget about the whole bandit thing and focus on providing this.

oh... and I'll never understand the helicopter idea. Maybe, just maybe, if we had giant maps I might think it was a good idea. I just don't get it. Ziplines make the game too easy for players, but a helicopter is fine?

Back when i first played it on xbox i was scared as hell. and it took me like day 30 something to get a good weapon. 

yeah i agree with you on the skills. i don't think its bad but its also not great. 

*well said about building* but i still like my scrap (no clue why Lol)

and yes new zombies are always great. though we are getting a new one this alpha he will not have his ability.  and i do want bandits and NPCs but i hope the game does not turn into a COD style where zombies are just in the background and humans are everywhere. i don't think that will happen but you never you. 

and yeah i really don't think we need a Heliy. they gyro is fine and its hard to uses. (i may have crashed into dishtong too many times to count) and it fits in the game. Zips lines i always kinda forgot they were going to be a thing.

8 hours ago, NukemDed said:

its just change bro. that makes most of us uneasy.

imagine how different 7dtd 2 will be from a19. that makes me exited.

how can the same process make me uneasy and exited at the same time?

apart from me being a bit weird that is...

answer? i dont know and cant be bothered working it out

im still enjoying the ride as it changes.

when it settles down, i will learn to mod it, and then the true fun begins. i got sooooo many ideas.... 

I guess you're right about that

On 3/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, Adam the Waster said:

Some melee weapons are Very weak like Knives

One my most entertaining games was going knives as my primary (I spec'd into it too).  It makes you have to re-evaluate how you attack zombies melee, especially if you got a group of them.  If I had videos of the gameplay, you would see me using whatever objects I had around me to isolate them and keep the situation under control - even use the hole from Buried Supplies quests.  They are not very weak, they just have to be used differently - though I do wish they had a book set like Unarmed or Clubs or Spears or even Batons.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, Adam the Waster said:

once you get a auto shotgun Nothing is Scary and if you put slugs in it and get the shotgun perk, nothing stands in your way.

pssssss......let me tell you a secret, nobody forces you to use the Auto shotgun  😉

I am using it in my current playthrough, but I been thinking of just stopping at Pump Shotgun in the my next playthrough.

I also been tending to use my SMG, the Desert Vulture, Sniper Rifle, and the M60 (last 2 only for BM nights) than the Auto Shotgun I have on my tool belt.

7D2D is like life.  The following can be anyone's life in game or RL.

For most people, you slowly become more capable and the challenges slowly increase (sometimes not so slowly!)

Over time, you encounter various crises, some larger than others.  If your reading this, you're doing fine!

Eventually, if your played the game well, you can rest and enjoy the remaining days!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's why I meander away from vanilla towards the mods, or the overhauls like Darkness Falls, fairly quickly. Only when I play MP with stubborn friends I could stay in vanilla longer, but we usually drop the loot down to like 25% to crawl our way up :)