Empty a Jar?

zztong

6 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I don´t think so. Out of interest: Why not just craft new ones in the forge? Doesn´t take a lof of sand for 60 jars.

I didn't think of that. I'm the cook, not the guy running the forges. I could also wait until after a day of raiding and have 60 empty jars.

I just figured there might be an easy way to empty jars.

19 hours ago, Z-B said:

There should be.  It would be far more useful than eating glass and yet that you can do for some reason.

Its one of the several things I question why its not in game, being able to dump the contents of a jar to make a empty jar. Been around since a9 or 10 myself, and I been asking this question since then about why this is not an option. Be even better if you could do it from the loot box itself, like you can scrap from the loot box directly, be nice to be able to empty jars from it.

For what it's worth, if you add the code below under <item name="drinkJarRiverWater"> in items.xml, it will let you dump murky water back into any water. Can't just dump it anywhere 'cause the "ExchangeItem" action is kinda weird I guess. But it works. Basically you can toggle between empty jars and murky water when looking at water. Dumping it out will not fill add to the water, but I bet that could be fixed by someone smarter than I.

<property class="Action1"> <!-- UseAction -->
  <property name="Class" value="ExchangeItem"/>
  <property name="Delay" value="1.0"/>
  <property name="Change_item_to" value="drinkJarEmpty"/>
  <property name="Focused_blockname_1" value="water"/>
  <property name="Focused_blockname_2" value="waterMoving"/>
  <property name="Focused_blockname_3" value="waterStaticBucket"/>
  <property name="Focused_blockname_4" value="waterMovingBucket"/>
  <property name="Focused_blockname_5" value="terrWaterPOI"/>
  <property name="Sound_start" value="bucketfill_water"/>
</property> 

Don't have time at the moment to turn this into a modlet, sorry.

I'm testing a modlet for this and hopefully it will allow emptying the jars into air.

Modlet attached. Does not work for "air", but you can pour out on any normal terrain I think, including asphalt. Cannot pour out on non-terrain, but that's only due to my laziness. Feel free to add every block into the "Focused_blockname_xx" list. I have no idea if there's a limit.

Be careful you don't drink the water! It's the right-click action to dump it out - same as you use to fill empty jars.

BoidsPourOneOut.zip

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, Boidster said:

Modlet attached.

Hey, thanks. I tried it and it does work as advertised. That's pretty cool.

I've also been toying with modlets and playing with this recipe...

<!-- A way to empty jars of mirky water. Nice for inventory and nice for cooking, plus just makes sense. Anyone can empty a jar of water. -->
    <append xpath="/recipes">
        <recipe count="1" name="drinkJarEmpty" craft_time="2">
            <ingredient count="1" name="drinkJarRiverWater"/>
        </recipe>
    </append>

... which is also handy if you have 125 jars of mirky water to be emptied.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:20 PM, Z-B said:

There should be.  It would be far more useful than eating glass and yet that you can do for some reason.

I believe eating glass was originally added so if you got stuck or something you could use it to kill yourself and respawn. Now, I wish they would take this feature out. In one of my playthroughs I accidentally ate glass, panicked and tried to use a bandage to stop from dying..which of course did nothing.

20 hours ago, zztong said:

I've also been toying with modlets and playing with this recipe...

Don't know what that exactly does, but exactly the same question came up some time ago here on the forums. The imho best solution that came there was also a modlet that made murky water scrap into empty jars.

If your receipe does that, i said nothing. ;)

4 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Don't know what that exactly does, but exactly the same question came up some time ago here on the forums. The imho best solution that came there was also a modlet that made murky water scrap into empty jars.

Yep, its a recipe with no prerequisites and no workstation needed. It takes 2 seconds to convert a jar of mirky water into an empty jar. You could do that in your inventory, a workbench, or whatever. You could apply it to many jars in one order.

That code is both the XPath stuff to inserts the recipe and the recipe itself.

12 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Ok, then imho scrapping into empty jars is still the way more intuitive solution than crafting.

Eh, with scrapping if you only wanted to do say 10 jars out of the 50 you had, you'd have to split the stack first.   With the crafting recipe you can specify exactly how many you want.  Its a really good solution.

Yep, you're right, with scrapping you can only do the whole stack or need to divide the stack first.

But crafting usually improves something, while scrapping usually is a downgrade. So if i want to downgrade murky water into empty jars, i'd try to scrap them, not searching for a receipe. That's what i ment with "intuitve".

Since neither way is possible in vanilla, somebody that adds an extra modlet of course knows how to do it. But that doesn't mean it's intuitve.

21 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Yep, you're right, with scrapping you can only do the whole stack or need to divide the stack first.

But crafting usually improves something, while scrapping usually is a downgrade. So if i want to downgrade murky water into empty jars, i'd try to scrap them, not searching for a receipe. That's what i ment with "intuitve".

Since neither way is possible in vanilla, somebody that adds an extra modlet of course knows how to do it. But that doesn't mean it's intuitve.

I did look into scrapping before I ended up with the "pour one out" modlet. The problem with scrapping - at least from what I could see - is that the game appears to require a "resource" type item to be the result of scrapping. So you can scrap to wood, fibers, stone, broken glass, etc., but you can't scrap to "empty jar". And you can only scrap to one type of resource which is why you don't get stone and wood back when scrapping a stone axe.

5 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I did look into scrapping before I ended up with the "pour one out" modlet. The problem with scrapping - at least from what I could see - is that the game appears to require a "resource" type item to be the result of scrapping. So you can scrap to wood, fibers, stone, broken glass, etc., but you can't scrap to "empty jar". And you can only scrap to one type of resource which is why you don't get stone and wood back when scrapping a stone axe.

Where is the problem? They already did it back than...

Murky water scraps into only empty jars (the scrapping result resource type for murky water then simply is empty jar). Empty jars only scrap into broken glas.

Guns also scrap to their parts. So it's not true that you can only can scrap into "lower" ressource types like wood and stone.

6 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Guns also scrap to their parts. So it's not true that you can only can scrap into "lower" ressource types like wood and stone.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Scrapping appears to require a resource from the Materials list in materials.xml. Gun parts are one material type. So is wood, glass, stone, and many others. Jars are not a material type.

12 minutes ago, Liesel Weppen said:

Where is the problem? They already did it back than...

Murky water scraps into only empty jars

Hey, if you know how to solve it by all means please tell us! Here's the XML which seems to control what murky water scraps into. Please show us how to make this accept empty jars, you'd be a hero.

<item name="drinkJarRiverWater">
  <property name="Material" value="Mglass"/>

22 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Scrapping appears to require a resource from the Materials list in materials.xml. Gun parts are one material type. So is wood, glass, stone, and many others. Jars are not a material type.

Weird.... you'd think all you need to do is add a materials type but that doesn't work.

I tried:

<material id="MJar">
	<property name="damage_category" value="glass"/>
	<property name="surface_category" value="glass"/>
	<property name="forge_category" value="drinkJarEmpty"/>
	<property name="Experience" value="6"/>
</material>

But when I assigned that material to murky water, I no longer had the option to scrap.   Not sure what I'm missing.

Ok, got it.

add to materials.xml

<material id="MJar">
	<property name="damage_category" value="glass"/>
	<property name="surface_category" value="glass"/>
	<property name="forge_category" value="drinkJarEmpty"/>
	<property name="Experience" value="6"/>
</material>

add to recipes.xml

<recipe name="drinkJarEmpty" count="1" tooltip="ttScrapMetalBrass" always_unlocked="true" tags="salvageScrap"> <wildcard_forge_category /> </recipe>

in items.xml change material type on drinkJarEmpty and drinkJarRiverWater to MJar

<item name="drinkJarEmpty">
	<property name="HoldType" value="3"/>
	<property name="Meshfile" value="#Other/Items?Food/emptyJarPrefab.prefab"/>
	<property name="DropMeshfile" value="#Other/Items?Misc/sack_droppedPrefab.prefab"/>
	<property name="Material" value="MJar"/>

<item name="drinkJarRiverWater">
	<property name="HoldType" value="3"/>
	<property name="DisplayType" value="waterDysentery"/>
	<property name="Meshfile" value="#Other/Items?Food/bottled_waterPrefab.prefab"/>
	<property name="DropMeshfile" value="#Other/Items?Misc/sack_droppedPrefab.prefab"/>
	<property name="Material" value="MJar"/>

So murky water will now scrap to empty jars.   However, you will no longer be able to scrap empty jars to glass.

But... you probably don't want to do it this way.   When you scrap, you don't get full value back.   So, when I tried to scrap 5 murky water, I was only getting 3 jars back.   I don't know if there is a way to override that.

What if you leave the material for drinkJarEmpty as MGlass? Could you then scrap them into glass?

I'm thinking now the game requires a) a material that actually is part of the recipe of the item being scrapped and b) looks up the recipe and returns X% of the recipe quantity of that material back to you. I wonder what would happen if you scrap a single murky water? If the "recipe" says it takes 1 MJar, how would it return a partial?

3 minutes ago, Boidster said:

What if you leave the material for drinkJarEmpty as MGlass? Could you then scrap them into glass?

Nope, tried that.   My guess is that you can only scrap to basic items and basic items themselves can't be scrapped.   Doing what I did turns empty jars into a basic item.

Let me clarify, doing that did allow me to scrap empty jars to glass... but I could no longer scrap murky water.  

Archived