TormentedEmu's A19 DMT Mods

TormentedEmu

Hey everyone!

I'm back after a long hiatus with new mods for alpha 19 experimental branch.  These are built with DMT v2.2.7  using the latest version of Harmony(v2.0.2). 

Link: https://github.com/TormentedEmu/7DTD-A19-DMTMods

Mods:

NewBlockTextures

The purpose of this mod is to allow adding new texture arrays to the game to avoid overwriting the original arrays or atlases as we used to in the previous builds.

The mod contains a sample bundle with some textures included and you can pull the blocks out from the creative menu.  The blocks can be built with basic recipes that can be changed to your preference.  Also included is a modded paint brush to allow painting the new textures only on the new provided blocks.  The modded paint brush will not paint vanilla blocks and the vanilla paint brush will not paint on any of the modded blocks.

Screenshot1.thumb.jpg.026157e04402b1775d51360098edeae6.jpg

NewTerrainTextures

The purpose of this mod is to allow appending new terrain textures to the game terrain texture array.  One thing to note, is to match the blockw and blockh for all your textures or you will see size issues with the vanilla textures.  I recommend using either 1, 4, or 8 depending on how large you want the textures in game.

The mod also comes with a sample terrain texture bundle and you can pull the blocks out from the creative menu.

NOTE: Adding new terrain textures requires SphereII Legacy Distant Terrain

ObjectManipulator 

This modlet introduces a new control panel that allows the user to manipulate and adjust the selected transform's scale, position, and rotation.  First enter the creative menu and drag a TE_ObjectManipulatorHandgun into your toolbar.  When you first hold the gun in your hand, the control panel will appear.  You can toggle the control panel by shooting the gun.  You can toggle the screen cursor by pressing the F2 button, which will allow you to click on the buttons and type in the search box, or copy position values.

TE_MenuMusic

Allows you to change the menu background music at the start of the game without needing to patch the resources.assets file.  A sample music file in the ogg format has been provided for you to play around with.

*** This mod no longer requires a forked version of DMT as Hal has added it to the base DMT tool here: https://github.com/HAL-NINE-THOUSAND/DMT  ***

Please let me know if you like it, have any questions, or have any problems/bugs with it.  I'm usually found on Guppycur's Discord server here: https://discord.gg/mh3J3dS

My nickname on the discord is V.

Cheers

Edited by TormentedEmu (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update:  Added a new modlet called TE_ObjectManipulator

This modlet introduces a new control panel that allows the user to manipulate and adjust the selected transform's scale, position, and rotation.  First enter the creative menu and drag a TE_ObjectManipulatorHandgun into your toolbar.  When you first hold the gun in your hand, the control panel will appear.  You can toggle the display by left clicking while holding the gun.  You can toggle the screen cursor by pressing the F2 button, which will allow you to click on the buttons and type in the search box, or copy position values.

Please let me know if you have questions, comments, bugs, or anything.

Cheers! :)

Hey everyone!

A user in Guppy's Discord by the name of Kamooti was talking about how to change sounds in game.  The conversation led to changing the main menu's background music and how to override it without patching asset files and then having to distro large files.  Well, as it turns out, the fix was even easier than I thought.  It did take a small change in DMT to use a new hook method to begin loading Harmony patches.

So now I introduce my latest creation:

TE_MenuMusic

Allows you to change the menu background music at the start of the game without needing to patch the resources.assets file.  A sample music file in the ogg format has been provided for you to play around with.

The mod is available on my Github at the link in the first post of this thread.  The version of DMT needed to enable this mod can be found on my fork page here:  Download link

If Hal decides to accept this change and merge it into the main trunk, then I will leave this download available until such time as his is ready to download.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Happy Holidays everyone,  I hope everyone is having a good and safe end of year.

I updated the New block texture mod with a few new features, including the new modded paint brush, recipes for the new blocks, and added some more block properties.  You can find all my mods at the Github link in the first post.  Please let me know if you have any questions or bug reports either on Github or on Guppycur's Discord.

Cheers!

EDIT: Found the Discord, will be looking there. Sorry.

Hi and happy holidays to all of you! First I have to say, I love your mods and have been waiting for this for years.

Are there any tutorials on how to add your own texture arrays with this? I know how to add custom models to the game thanks to xyth's videos, but i do not know how to shape the texture arrays that they can be used by your mod when exported as a unitty3d file.

Would be grateful for any kind of help. Sorry if this is the wrong place, this is my first post here.

Best regards and stay safe :)

Edited by Pyrokar (see edit history)

On 12/26/2020 at 3:13 AM, Pyrokar said:

EDIT: Found the Discord, will be looking there. Sorry.

Hi and happy holidays to all of you! First I have to say, I love your mods and have been waiting for this for years.

Are there any tutorials on how to add your own texture arrays with this? I know how to add custom models to the game thanks to xyth's videos, but i do not know how to shape the texture arrays that they can be used by your mod when exported as a unitty3d file.

Would be grateful for any kind of help. Sorry if this is the wrong place, this is my first post here.

Best regards and stay safe :)

Hi and thanks Pyrokar!

I did post a step by step tutorial on Guppycur's Discord in the #texture_array channel.  I also have plans to make a video.  I can also try to format it and post the steps here.

Let me know in Discord if you have any questions!

Step by step walk through Tutorial to create a new Texture2dArray within Unity:

Get Unity 2019.2.17 from here
https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

Create a new 3d project.
Install this package here https://github.com/pschraut/UnityTexture2DArrayImportPipeline
GitHub - pschraut/UnityTexture2DArrayImportPipeline
A Texture2DArray Import Pipeline for Unity 2019.3 and newer. - pschraut/UnityTexture2DArrayImportPipeline

Here is a direct link to the download https://github.com/pschraut/UnityTexture2DArrayImportPipeline/archive/1.2.0.zip
Unzip this file, then from within Unity, you need to manually install this package and point it toward the unzipped package and wait for it to completely install it.
After that, probably a good idea to make a new folder in the Assets directory, call it whatever or TextureArrays
Right click on the new folder and select the option to create a new Texture2dArray
The new texture mod requires 3 arrays in total
The first array will contain all your base color/diffuse textures
The second array will contain the normal maps
The third array will contain your metallic gloss, roughness, emission, ambient occlusion maps
The slice index is very important and each set must match for each texture set.
If a picture of wood is set to index 1, then the normal must go in index 1 of the second array, and the metallic map goes in index 1 in the third array, likewise
I recommend using a placeholder image for index 0 due to the way the paint brush identifies index 0 as a way to "erase" a paint
Basically, start placing all images at index 1.  All three arrays will require a blank/black/whatever image in index 0.
Once all three arrays are complete, make sure you hit the Apply button for the array to save, within Unity.
Then select all three arrays and export the bundle using Xyth's export script

https://github.com/7D2D/Templates-and-Utilities

Next, you need to modify my mod xml located in the Config folder.  You need basic xml and xpath knowledge to change my defaults to whatever you like.
Modify the UV mapping.xml to match the blocks.xml id's
UV mapping file, the ID will correlate to the ID in blocks.xml.  The index number will correlate to the slice index of the texture2darray within Unity
Make sure all the numbers match up.

Make sure the texture array names in Unity match those within the InitHarmony.cs file, particularly:

public static string MyTextureArrayDiffuse = "ta_NewBlockTest";
public static string MyTextureArrayNormal = "ta_NewBlockTest_n";
public static string MyTextureArraySpecular = "ta_NewBlockTest_s";

Either make your file names the same, or change those variables in the InitHarmony.cs fileTrial and error go a long way to understanding.

Good luck and if you need help, talk to me in Discord

Edited by TormentedEmu (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered this thread and your modlets. They look pretty cool, I especially like the one about adding your own music for the loading screen.

I have a suggestion for that. Would it be possible to make the music file configurable in the XML? (It's not difficult to do this, I could even do the coding if you're OK with me forking your repo.)

EDIT: OK, maybe it's not so easy to do... I imagine the music has to play before the XML is parsed. So never mind.

Edited by khzmusik (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

The config is in the cs file, which you figured out.  This is the easiest way rather than a cs script to read another xml file only to change the same value in the code 😄

It's a nice suggestion and maybe you could incorporate that into your own version, fork the repo and submit a pull request :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Any chance these textures can be updated to work with A20 ... or do they work with A20 ? I have not been able to get them to work. 

I have been using the dead leaves texture from the terrain set as a corpseblock in my mod but now I cannot get it to work.

Thanks for these mods, is it really that hard to make textures for this game?  Nobody else does it except you lol