why gpu used 100%

Tonzza95

That's because none of them use voxels. How many games do you know of that has 100% fully destructible everything and with structure integrity calculations?

You just cannot compare this game to any other game because there are no other games like this, or at least not nearly as advanced as this.

Also, most games out there are still limited my 2 CPU cores which is a bottleneck preventing the GPU from being able to get utilized to 100%.

It´s lately happening random tough. Well known terrain on my map i have driven trough many times already, usually having like 80-90% GPU usage, suddenly start to lag badly, fully utilizing the GPU out of nowhere. Like 10FPS instead of 60. No planted trees or selfbuilt stuff in that area. Logging out and back in got me back to normal on the exact same spot.

Margin for error.

Never operate a machine at its maximum capacity.

I'd rather not be able to fry an egg on my gfx card.

Right but 100% GPU usage shown in the task manager doesn't mean that the card is operating at its maximum capacity. Certain benchmarks utilize the GPU much more, i.e. FurMark.

Right but 100% GPU usage shown in the task manager doesn't mean that the card is operating at its maximum capacity. Certain benchmarks utilize the GPU much more, i.e. FurMark.

I'm failing to see the relevance here. I'd hate to run any hardware above 80% capacity for any length of time. If the operating system says it's running at 100% capacity that's too much regardless of any benchmarking score unless you're running the benchmark test for the same length of time as your average gaming session. Sure, push the hardware to the limit if you want but you can be damn sure you'll be replacing that hardware far more often than you should be.

It´s lately happening random tough. Well known terrain on my map i have driven trough many times already, usually having like 80-90% GPU usage, suddenly start to lag badly, fully utilizing the GPU out of nowhere. Like 10FPS instead of 60. No planted trees or selfbuilt stuff in that area. Logging out and back in got me back to normal on the exact same spot.

Did you run out of Vram? Without knowing your full system specs, I wouldn't really know exactly what's being bottleneck'd. But sudden fps drops like that (with no visual reason to drop) usually means a bottleneck somewhere.

You want 100% GPU usage while playing games. Why have a GPU for gaming if it isn't being used to its full potential!

Ideally, you'd want to see CPU, GPU and Ram all use 100% to really feel like you have the perfect balance in hardware, but we all know that would never happen as every game is different, and most games only benefit from 2 cores anyways which is the biggest bottleneck in terms of fps.

Margin for error.

Never operate a machine at its maximum capacity.

I'd rather not be able to fry an egg on my gfx card.

Hardware never overheats if properly vented and not excessively overclocked. If your hardware is capable of overheating, then your setup sucks, simple as that. Heat issues are easily solved but usually ignored by both the case manufacturers and the customers who buy them.

I'm failing to see the relevance here. I'd hate to run any hardware above 80% capacity for any length of time. If the operating system says it's running at 100% capacity that's too much regardless of any benchmarking score unless you're running the benchmark test for the same length of time as your average gaming session. Sure, push the hardware to the limit if you want but you can be damn sure you'll be replacing that hardware far more often than you should be.

Wrong. There are hundreds of thousands of ppl out there stressing their hardware out to 100% 24/7... it's called crypto mining. And when properly set up for adequate cooling, can last years non-stop without issue. Also, as a tech person with over 15 years experience, I've never heard of hardware failing just because it was being stressed out to 100% too much or w/e. The only time computer hardware fails is due to product defect / poor quality parts or inadequate cooling.

Mind you, I personally would never buy hardware used for crypto mining simply because most ppl are cheap / dumb and rarely have the heat vented adequately. Also, buying used parts are usually pretty sketch as it is without having to add that into the mix.

Hardware never overheats if properly vented and not excessively overclocked. If your hardware is capable of overheating, then your setup sucks, simple as that. Heat issues are easily solved but usually ignored by both the case manufacturers and the customers who buy them.

I have a raspi with significant carbon scoring that would disagree with you. Fully heatsinked and vented but pushed too hard, not overclocked at all. :-)

Probably not the same issue as the OP, but I've noticed my gpu working harder when running off battery on my gaming laptop. As soon as plug it in, FPS numbers go back to normal. Maybe some power management setting only card lol...

I have a raspi with significant carbon scoring that would disagree with you. Fully heatsinked and vented but pushed too hard, not overclocked at all. :-)

lol, it's a raspi... I seriously doubt it has a proper heatsink and fan that actually pushes air on it. Anything that pushes less than 3 CFM is basically pointless. If it does in fact have proper heatsink and fan and still overheats, then that's just a badly designed raspi, which isn't far fetched since if I remember correctly, those are designed by very small indie companies / ppl in their garage and not large corporations who spend millions in research and development.

lol, it's a raspi... I seriously doubt it has a proper heatsink and fan that actually pushes air on it. Anything that pushes less than 3 CFM is basically pointless. If it does in fact have proper heatsink and fan and still overheats, then that's just a badly designed raspi, which isn't far fetched since if I remember correctly, those are designed by very small indie companies / ppl in their garage and not large corporations who spend millions in research and development.

To be fair, it had been running constantly for half-a-decade at least. :-)

The basic principle stands for all machinery though, whether electrical or mechanical. Any machine run at 80% capacity will last longer than a machine run at 100% capacity which will, in turn, last longer than a machine run at 120% capacity.

To be fair, it had been running constantly for half-a-decade at least. :-)

The basic principle stands for all machinery though, whether electrical or mechanical. Any machine run at 80% capacity will last longer than a machine run at 100% capacity which will, in turn, last longer than a machine run at 120% capacity.

Argument doesn't work with any electric rotating saw blade, like Skilsaw or Table Saw. Also doesn't work with water pumps, light bulbs, air compressors, belt sanders, chainsaws, etc. All the things I mentioned are specifically designed to be run at 100% or else you risk damaging them or render them useless. So clearly not all machinery.

And like I mentioned already, well set up crypto miners run their computers at 100% 24/7 for years at a time often without any issues at all (with the exception of software hiccups which is of no fault to the hardware at all). If hardware wasn't designed for it, then how are they able to pull it off? If the hardware was designed for 80% usage, it wouldn't take much to code that in to the software to prevent hardware from reaching beyond that amount.

Also, if memory serves correctly again, don't video editors also use 100% GPU as well, especially during rendering? I wonder how Linus Tech Tips team affords all those computer parts replacements since they edit 8K footage and render into several 4K videos each and every single day.

And those super computers that are equipped with hundreds of CPUs all running at 100% during calculations and whatnot... I wonder how they're able to afford so many CPU replacements.

And there's also the really ancient computers between 1985 and early 2000s which were so incredibly slow that they basically always ran at 100% whenever you did anything with them.

Heat is the main source of degradation in circuitry and a lot of other hardware. If you can eliminate the heat entirely, then you're pretty much guaranteed a reliable circuit, so long as you don't cause physical damage like dropping it or something. Which is why Fast Charging in cellphones is so dumb... completely kills the longevity of the battery.

Running a R5 3600 with 16GB RAM 3200Mhz (yes i set the XMP Profile) and a GTX1070. This just happened during the last week a few times. Didn´t change anything, besides the WIN10 Update. Before that this only happened when flying with viewing range set to max, turning it down helped there. First i thought it was the cheap server we rented but then it happened in SP on the motorcycle and on foot also. Actually would be odd if you need more than 8GB of VRAM. Well time to let Afterburner running while playing tough.

Running a R5 3600 with 16GB RAM 3200Mhz (yes i set the XMP Profile) and a GTX1070. This just happened during the last week a few times. Didn´t change anything, besides the WIN10 Update. Before that this only happened when flying with viewing range set to max, turning it down helped there. First i thought it was the cheap server we rented but then it happened in SP. Actually would be odd if you need more than 8GB of VRAM. Well time to let Afterburner running while playing tough.

Oh, I hate hearing about Windows 10 updates... you just never know what kind of damage those stupid updates will do next. That said though, I'd definitely never set the viewing range to max just because, unless you're flying, there's really no benefit to it anyways... and the hardware requirements for max viewing range is so intense... it's just not worth it.

I myself have an R5 1600x, 16GB 2933MHz ram, GTX1060 (heavily overclocked)... and I've never experienced this issue at all.

Also, why rent a server when you can just create your own using scrap computer parts you probably have lying around? You'd be surprised by how little it takes to run a server for this game. A modern CPU with 16+GB of ram if hosting for a lot of players, a basic ssd, decent internet (40Mbit or better)... done. No GPU needed. I myself have hosted a few games with the family and friends on an old FX8320 CPU (OC'd of course) with only 8GB of ram (currently at 12GB now) and it always ran silky smooth with no signs of stress.

Yeah, viewing range is really not needed. It´s fine when turned down a bit also. Still get that super lag sometimes.

Why rent a server? Well, it´s way easier and 5 people paying for it makes it really, really cheap. Even when renting a dedicated server it´s like 5 bucks per month/person. I heard bluefang customer support even install the mods for you, saves a ton of time. Just don´t do nitrado. We lost an ingame week and had several times where we couldn´t play for a few hours.

Also just a laptop lying around, my old PC would have been nice for a server, but a PC in the family gave up after 10 years so it´s gone there. .

Oh, I hate hearing about Windows 10 updates... you just never know what kind of damage those stupid updates will do next. That said though, I'd definitely never set the viewing range to max just because, unless you're flying, there's really no benefit to it anyways... and the hardware requirements for max viewing range is so intense... it's just not worth it.

I myself have an R5 1600x, 16GB 2933MHz ram, GTX1060 (heavily overclocked)... and I've never experienced this issue at all.

Also, why rent a server when you can just create your own using scrap computer parts you probably have lying around? You'd be surprised by how little it takes to run a server for this game. A modern CPU with 16+GB of ram if hosting for a lot of players, a basic ssd, decent internet (40Mbit or better)... done. No GPU needed. I myself have hosted a few games with the family and friends on an old FX8320 CPU (OC'd of course) with only 8GB of ram (currently at 12GB now) and it always ran silky smooth with no signs of stress.

Yup, i run a dedicated server from an i5 4460 and 16GB RAM

Yup, i run a dedicated server from an i5 4460 and 16GB RAM

And don't forget, Linux is both free, and has better performance than Windows.

And don't forget, Linux is both free, and has better performance than Windows.

Ya, I really want to give Linux a try... but finding the motivation to getting it installed and learning this new OS.... that takes a lot of effort for me as I'm not a big fan of change. Besides, 7d2d isn't the only game I host, and I imagine there might be a small chance I can't get an indie game hosted on a Linux server. Is the tiny bit of performance gain really worth it, especially when I don't feel like I need it?

Linux is a fantastic operating system for anyone who wishes to primarily interact with the world via text files. Or if you really enjoy tinkering with any and all gnats' asses. On the one hand, I really enjoyed my time working with it because I do like to tinker. On the other hand, I was being paid. For 95% of home uses, Windows or MacOS is a better fit than Linux. I use it to run Pi-Hole and a NAS server, but that's it. A Linux machine would be only for projects and tinkering, tho I have the Raspberry Pi for that.

Speaking of which, if you want to give Linux a shot, for the price of a chain restaurant sit-down dinner you can get a complete RPi kit and play to your heart's content. Even the cheapest kit could run Pi-Hole for you, a pretty easy starting project. Maybe it will open up a rabbit hole for you, who knows! If not, hey it's $50 or so and resalable. I'm a big fan of the RPi ecosystem.

Archived