Hatch upgrade blocked in a18?

Spankstinator

I created a wood hatch, then upgraded it to reinforced. Next I tried to continue to upgrade it to metal, but I cant. I am getting a picture of the metal hatch with a big red X next to it. No words or explanation. What does this mean? Are you no longer able to upgrade hatches?

- The Spankstinator

They want to slow down the upgrades a bit, making combat engineering a bit more than having a stack of each raw material in your bag and a nailgun in hand.

I don't necessarily agree with the decision, esp regarding wood hatch => iron hatch, but from wood door to vault door, well, that may have been a bit too easy.

I just want the iron/steel hatch to be easier to see which way it opens. The amount of hatches I've wasted could fill dishong.

True! Early on I would build wood hatches because of lack of resources. Later on, it was so I could clearly see the hinges.

True! Early on I would build wood hatches because of lack of resources. Later on, it was so I could clearly see the hinges.

I asked madmole a few weeks ago if they could add some hinges or a handle so we can tell the orientation. He agreed, but didn't indicate when they will update the model.

An arrow overlay while placing would be an alternative solution - without requiring a model change. Agree completely with the idea as such.

For the hatches upgrade: I was actually happy with this change, because in previous alphas i modified the blocks to enable me to prevent upgrades by accident, by requiring more hits. Now i don't need to modify that specific item any more. As long as i don't have the iron hatch in hand, those precious bars will be spared from wasting. Beside this one, i like all the upgrade changes so far (but i am still below gamestage 50, so this applies only to early game building). I barely ever used the iron states, but instead knocked the wooden blocks out to replace them with concrete. The way it works now via cobblestone is very convenient in my opinion.

For hatches, the hinges are usually facing away from you if you never changed the direction the hatch is oriented by default, in otherwords, it'll open away from you so you can walk straight down into it. At least I noticed this with the iron ones.

But yeah I agree some sort of visual where a handle is so you know whats the front and back of the hatch be nice.

Archived