Buried Treasure Quest - A18

Laz Man

it's always the 3rd block down. Sometimes on steep slopes it actually shows thru the surface without even digging. As long as you're paying attention and not digging too deep slopes aren't so bad for treasures. Also, what looks in game to be stone on the surface, isn't usually. It's soil painted to look like stone most of the time.

There is a very quick way to discern where the box is.

1. Stand at a distance so that you don't see "Nearby", but actual numbers in the distance. Pick one of the cardinal directions and look towards the marker (directly from North, South, West or East). It's useful to have a wood frame on your inventory slot to show if you're well aligned.

2. Strafe left and right to determine 1 or 2 blocks at which the distance is lowest. Mark it with a wood frame.

3. Repeat on another direction (if you stood from the South direction, choose either West or East) and repeat step 2. Mark it with a wood frame.

4. Step towards where the paths from the wood frames would meet and start digging. You'll have at most only a couple spots to dig instead of the whole field. Many times it's digging down and there you have it.

You're welcome. Just remember that zombies spawn when you come to the vicinity of the buried treasure. Many times i end up finished before they come to me.

Nope, heard zombies growling even before happening upon the chest. I also think the time is somewhat random. In the past i was digging around and Zs would always appear even before i found the chest.

Could those have been just the usual zombies lurking about, i.e. chunk spawns ? The 3 buried treasure I did had one thing in common: The moment I looted the chest 4 zombies spawned around me, the growl of them came a moment after closing the chest

Like i mentioned, the time could be varied. I always look around before attempting to spend a lot of time on something.

That one time i made like 6 ditches 2 blocks deep before finding the box... I had a group close in on my location even before halfway through. Definitely not a random group, as i encounter each such group at every treasure box. Even in A18 i had one group appear just before digging out the chest. Was quick enough to clear it and run off a few meters to estimate the situation and how i should fight, instead of being surrounded.

Yea for the trader joe buried quest the zed squad only appear once you open/close the chest. At least on the last 15 of these missions I did. The buried treasure and fetch quest are definitely the easiest of the joe quest to do. There needs to be more incentive to do the clear zed quest honestly or it's just not worth it.

edit: It probably does take into account elevation but I have never seen the chest more than 3 blocks down once you get to its location. I have however seen the chest in the rafters of a building and have heard of it even being burred under buildings.

Yea for the trader joe buried quest the zed squad only appear once you open/close the chest. At least on the last 15 of these missions I did. The buried treasure and fetch quest are definitely the easiest of the joe quest to do. There needs to be more incentive to do the clear zed quest honestly or it's just not worth it.

edit: It probably does take into account elevation but I have never seen the chest more than 3 blocks down once you get to its location. I have however seen the chest in the rafters of a building and have heard of it even being burred under buildings.

Are the rewards the same for each tier, no matter the mission?

Are the rewards the same for each tier, no matter the mission?

I honestly havent noticed any difference in same tier quest. The house fetch or clear missions at least put you in a POI which has its own loot. The buried treasure missions will give you a slightly less amount of loot from the mission crate than you would get from clearing the entire house in a POI mission. I guess thats the major difference. But I can run out and dig up a buried treasure in just a few minutes, it can take a half hour or more to clear a medium sized POI. A bit less obviously to just dig your way to the loot, snag it and run. So if I am just doing fetch/buried missions I can squeeze 3 or 4 sometimes even 5 of them in a day easily(90 minute server). But clear missions with cleaning out POI I would be lucky to do more than 2.

Maybe i did have in mind some other type of quest... Buried Treasure from a map definitely didn't spawn zombies when i opened the 2 of them recently. Buried Treasure retrieval (when you get a package to get back to trader) definitely did spawn Zs the last time i did it. Perhaps there are various types which work differently?

had a really bugged treasure map today, went to the location, did the whole frame X trick, dug 5 down...just in case cuz I didn't see it, ended up making a 5X5X8 (wideXlengthXheight) and no dice, logged out to come to forums (got distracted and never did, kids =P ) logged back in, looked at my quests and, lo and behold, im 1.3km away...wth lol

I had the buried chest generated in a building, mid-air on second floor. Something is definitely broken with this quest type.

Had one in the Waterworks, used debug mode to find it as it was behind 2 or 3 stainles steel blocks.

Also had a fetch quest where there was nothing to fetch as the space where it should have been was empty.

Archived