Joel, TFP, we love ya but your PvP is showing..

RyanX

Where does this number come from? When I look at the server lists, it doesn't seem accurate. It seems to be roughly one order of magnitude off. (30-50% pvp players)

<snip>

Using that I came up with 256 PVE players to 222 PVP players. That's in the 40-50% PVP players range.

you are forgetting about single player numbers and all the servers that are not listed in co-op play.

Where does this number come from? When I look at the server lists, it doesn't seem accurate. It seems to be roughly one order of magnitude off. (30-50% pvp players)

PVE No Killing Page 1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29004[/ATTACH]

PVE No Killing Page 2

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29005[/ATTACH]

PVP Kill everyone Page 1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29006[/ATTACH]

PVP Kill strangers Page 1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29007[/ATTACH]

Using that I came up with 256 PVE players to 222 PVP players. That's in the 40-50% PVP players range.

I don't believe that PvP players are only 3-5% of the player base. I think that is too low. However, what you just showed is comparing online servers that are set to appear publicly. Nobody playing SP on their local computer is going to be a part of what you just shared. So you are right that it appears that PvP is roughly half of the online servers that appear publicly but those roughly 222 PvP players are probably the full extent of all the players since you don't play PvP locally by yourself and probably not person to person with one or two buddies.

There are probably 1000's of players on their local server set to private so that it never appears in the server list playing SP and cooperatively with a buddy with one of them hosting. There could also be dedicated servers set only to private which also would not appear in the list and which are most likely going to be cooperative games rather than PvP.

PvP really requires new blood and strangers with slots for at least 20 people to cycle in and out. Those are going to be public and show up.

Ya know...on the topic of PvP and such... I think it'd be fun to find a server that allows PvP, but everyone is super into role-playing. There's no raiding to troll or anything like that. It's all just...like... story-driven fighting. Ya know?

currently 7,105 players in game right this very moment. You said there is roughly 222 pvp that you can count with the servers you can see.

I suck at math but maybe someone can crunch those numbers and see the % right now

My guess is, since i cant do math, 1-2% of the total number of players are actually playing pvp at this very moment.

EDIT: total numbers now 7,116 this will change by the minute so yeah.. lol

And another stat i'll throw out there for the hell of it. Last update for 7D2D was about 24 hours ago (August 29, 2019 – 23:34:07 UTC) <---A18 not A17 that the public has access to

----NEVERMIND: I crunched the numbers. there is 3.1% of players playing PVP at this time. ----

currently 7,105 players in game right this very moment. You said there is roughly 222 pvp that you can count with the servers you can see.

I suck at math but maybe someone can crunch those numbers and see the % right now

My guess is, since i cant do math, 1-2% of the total number of players are actually playing pvp at this very moment.

Rough mathing says 3-4%

I spoke to some devs for ARK long time ago and they spoke about what you just proposed but for there game. I'm not sure if they ever did it but from the sounds of it at that time it would be a major technical hurdle to cross and they had doubts it would work 100% of the time without accidentally killing a legit player. They did not sound to confident about it and they have millions to spend. if they couldnt do it for tech reasons..I do not think its possible. You never know though :)

Well, as I said, Minecraft did it and this was back in the beginning before it was officially released or part of the Borg Collective. Simply teleport in Minecraft into solid terrain and you start suffocating. You have about 5-10 seconds to re-teleport so it isn't instant death but it is definitely technically possible.

ARK is static terrain with no voxels of any kind. I'm not sure why they would have an issue with clipping into the terrain in the first place.

All they would have to do is apply the already existing radiation killing code to when the game detects a player clipped into the terrain. Does it mean that they will need to fix accidental cases of clipping? Yes, but that is way easier than trying to fix cases that 100s of cheaters are actively working to figure out and exploit.

Rough mathing says 3-4%

yes, as of this moment, but I still wouldn't call that "The player base". I think there are more than 4% who would identify as PvP players. If A18 becomes popular to the point where we have 20k-30k playing again with lots of populated servers it would be closer to 15-20%. Still the clear minority for this game, however.

The 7105 number is global, the 222 number is the first page of locally listed servers.

You can't get an accurate pvp percentage from those two numbers.

Well, as I said, Minecraft did it and this was back in the beginning before it was officially released or part of the Borg Collective. Simply teleport in Minecraft into solid terrain and you start suffocating. You have about 5-10 seconds to re-teleport so it isn't instant death but it is definitely technically possible.

ARK is static terrain with no voxels of any kind. I'm not sure why they would have an issue with clipping into the terrain in the first place.

All they would have to do is apply the already existing radiation killing code to when the game detects a player clipped into the terrain. Does it mean that they will need to fix accidental cases of clipping? Yes, but that is way easier than trying to fix cases that 100s of cheaters are actively working to figure out and exploit.

The discussion was about how to deal with players this figure out a way to get in to the mesh and kill other players that way. I proposed having an auto death feature for anyone who gets inside a mesh where they are not supposed to be. I figured this could be applied for voxel....as you said, I think by free assocation lol.

I figured if they could not figure out how to kill players that get in the mesh and not kill players that the game thinks might be in a mesh.....i dunno. this was a while ago I do not remember all the details but I do remember them not sounding confident after they ran some tests.

By the way thank you for pointing that out Roland, free assocation. You have no idea how much this has helped me for I never heard about free assocation thinking before but it explains me to a T well most of my communication that leaves people scratching there head and asking me to further explain.

- - - Updated - - -

The 7105 number is global, the 222 number is the first page of locally listed servers.

oh ok I thought you said you counted 222 PVP players. I based my math off that number and the total numbers I pulled up, which was not via the game.

yes, as of this moment, but I still wouldn't call that "The player base". I think there are more than 4% who would identify as PvP players. If A18 becomes popular to the point where we have 20k-30k playing again with lots of populated servers it would be closer to 15-20%. Still the clear minority for this game, however.

Agreed...not that I know anythng lol. I think the total base has got to be more than 4% as well.

I imagine 10% but thats just a number pulled from thin air lol. I hate doing math so I do not want to go look up all the numbers since the release of the game.

well if you feel like counting every single pvp player I can get the % easily just as I did with 7105 total-222 pvp = 3.1% playing PVP at that very moment. Of course we are not talking total player base.

All this math is hurting my head lol....anyways

By the way thank you for pointing that out Roland, free association. You have no idea how much this has helped me for I never heard about free assocation thinking before but it explains me to a T well most of my communication that leaves people scratching there head and asking me to further explain.

Just so you know, I was only joking and not diagnosing :).

And I was pulling numbers out of my butt as well...but at least it’s a math Butt.

Just so you know, I was only joking and not diagnosing :).

And I was pulling numbers out of my butt as well...but at least it’s a math Butt.

Well your joke was right on. I did some a little research in to free assocation and I sat there doing self evaluation... free assocation explained a lot about my thought process when communicating online, not so much in person. thank you anyways because your joke really helped enlighten me about myself. :)

I actually wrote all this that day you made the joke in a PM but for whatever reason when I went to click send my browser crashed and I was like F it I'm not writing all that again lol.

I did not mean for it to come across like that lol. :)

Sometimes I hate my lack of communication skills I swear.

EDIT: @RyanX If you where offended in any way by what I said following "EDIT" in my previous message I do apologize. I honestly felt a little bad at how hard I came at you and offering you my time and knowledge was my way of making up for it, for what its worth.

Not offended at all. As a matter of fact, I like to play with a small PvP group sometimes. Last time I did though, the guy ragequit after we were raided by guys who found our base by clipping.

I'm actually intrigued and will take you up on your offer. I would be extremely shocked if you were able to protect a base on the server I play on. If there's a way to combat the cheaters and exploiters, I'm all in.

This also speaks to the PvP player base. I know several people who don't play 7 days at all right now and are waiting for PvP to be fixed. There are a lot of folks waiting in the wings for PvP to get some love.

Not offended at all. As a matter of fact, I like to play with a small PvP group sometimes. Last time I did though, the guy ragequit after we were raided by guys who found our base by clipping.

I'm actually intrigued and will take you up on your offer. I would be extremely shocked if you were able to protect a base on the server I play on. If there's a way to combat the cheaters and exploiters, I'm all in.

I've never had to deal with this issue, but a thought occurred to me. Couldn't you fix this by placing blocks? Or does the clipping go past them, too? Also, as ZombieSuvivor said, build above ground

Oops. Never mind. My psychological analysis of Ryan’s reaction to your offer was totally off. Guess I’m all math in my Butt.

well to be clear, no way of stopping the chinese hackers. I was an admin on a popular server for about 2 years, and trust me its a pain to stop them. Our team had great programmming skills but even with all the safe guards we had in place, every once in a while a hacker figured out how to bypass our security for our server. Me or one of the other admins could stop them most of the time if someone on the server contacted us while the raide was happening. No way to stop them all though as chinese hackers are very smart. The dumb ones could never breach our security lol. so if the problem is hackers raiding you I cannot help with that, but secure base building tactics. That I am extremely good at.

- - - Updated - - -

This also speaks to the PvP player base. I know several people who don't play 7 days at all right now and are waiting for PvP to be fixed. There are a lot of folks waiting in the wings for PvP to get some love.

well just hit my up via pm and provide a link to your steam and or discord and we will further talk in detail another day. Hell Maybe I'll give A17 another go and teach you in that before A18 drops. That could give us a few weeks before a18

Archived