Questing as an end-game and the absurdity of tier 5 quests

Ghostlight

In my on-going (and so far futile) search for a satisfying end-game after day 30, myself and my co-op buddies have been trying out Trader quests. We are doing 15 quests per day basically (we have 5 traders, so we each get a quest from one then share them all = 15). We use the Gyrocopter (modded to speed 25 ofc) to hop all over the map to do this.

It's actually very fun!! If you can get round the fact that you will never (or very very very rarely) be rewarded with anything worthwhile (because it's day 30 and you already have everything) this does actually feel like a viable endgame. Just pretend, k?

However now that we are all on tier 5 quests, I noticed a rather disappointing aspect to this. Tier 5 quests are typically in tier 5 POIs (e.g those the size of the Hospital or the Shotgun Factory). On average, ONE of these quests can easily take us an entire day. This is 3 player co-op and our GS is almost 600 so there are a massive amount of Irradiated Ferals in there, often coming 20 at a time in almost every room. Add that to the fact that finding the satchel in such a huge building can itself take a lot of time, and you have the perfect storm of non-viability.

I do not care that the rewards are barely, if ever, worth it, my problem is the time factor. Time being the only resource we care about where we are in the game. Needing an entire day to do one quest does not seem realistic or viable. This problem is compounded by the fact that every quest offered to us is going to be tier 5, so it's not like we can chose to avoid the big ones if we lacked time....there is no other choice (Buried treasure chests do not seem to exist beyond tier 1 or 2). If we want to quest, we need to suck it up.

I have no idea what the solution to this is. Perhaps use smaller POIs but spawn even more Irradiated at a time so it's at least slightly challenging? No idea. But right now I know that our "pretend" end-game went from great fun to rather sour due to the huge time commitment tier 5's require. (Each one requiring 500 Shotgun rounds per player at least, doesn't help either.)

I only take tier 5 quests "fetch" and "retrieve the supplies". It takes sometimes 5 minutes with a ladder, sometimes 20 when the supplies are well hidden. The reward is usually an auger or a chainsaw, that means more than 10 000 tokens. "Clear the area" seems useless, but sometimes it's nice to accept those quests, just for the fun and the challenge.

i recently built for sledgehammers, got tier 5 and now i can hack and whack my way through POI's again. doing tier 5 quests seam like a breeze now! tho beofre i got to this point, i was pouring tons of ammo into just making my way through the building to the point it wasnt worth it.

question is, how to make the quest more rewarding... legendary items are coming with a coming update, but what about improveing the loot in the big metal crate at the end? it seams the same loot table as a gunsafe. also, more dukes. these are tier 5's and they take a day to clear, they should be worth, 5k at least? depending on the mission?

i recently built for sledgehammers, got tier 5 and now i can hack and whack my way through POI's again. doing tier 5 quests seam like a breeze now! tho beofre i got to this point, i was pouring tons of ammo into just making my way through the building to the point it wasnt worth it.

question is, how to make the quest more rewarding... legendary items are coming with a coming update, but what about improveing the loot in the big metal crate at the end? it seams the same loot table as a gunsafe. also, more dukes. these are tier 5's and they take a day to clear, they should be worth, 5k at least? depending on the mission?

Seems reasonible. Reward should express the effort taken.

Sounds good to me. Have you also invested points in heavy armor or are you using steel armor without any other skills?

How about a magazine that permanently gives you a skill point?

Sounds good to me. Have you also invested points in heavy armor or are you using steel armor without any other skills?

oooo thats a good way to reward players. possibly adding it into the loot table of possible trader rewards. also, no! well.... maybe one point into heavy armour, i went full int and strength, with a little bit into perception, fort and agi. 4/5 levels so far. its just now its getting to the point where getting levels is tough! these dungeons with there high level foes is certently helping me X3

In my on-going (and so far futile) search for a satisfying end-game after day 30, myself and my co-op buddies have been trying out Trader quests. We are doing 15 quests per day basically (we have 5 traders, so we each get a quest from one then share them all = 15). We use the Gyrocopter (modded to speed 25 ofc) to hop all over the map to do this.

My group gets about 2 or 3 quests done in a day and those might not even be tier5. 15 a day is probably akin to a speed run.

Point being that I suspect that the game will always be over fast when you run through.

You do play on insane, right?

these are tier 5's and they take a day to clear, they should be worth, 5k at least? depending on the mission?

We currently have 1 million dukes. Remember this is gamestage 600. Tier 5 quests were rewarding, fun and brief enough back when my gamestage was lower. My complaint is specifically aimed at the point when tier 5's became too impractical to do due to our gamestage. I am facing (at a guesstimate) 500 Irradiated per clear quest. When I said it cost us 500 Shotgun shells each to run one quest I wasn't exaggerating.

The non-trader quests often give you a skill point. You could dish those out as rewards I guess.

in case you didn't already know....the find supplies has a trick.

When you get close, the compass is useless, but if you backtrack away to JUST out of the "you're close" range, the compass marker shows the EXACT location...so set yourself up on the right height using the compass, then set yourself up so that the supplies are in a cardinal direction (ie. DIRECTLY north, south, east, or west), then simply crack straight through any object in a direct path. Often being able to narrow it down to such a tiny area with cardinal direction and height pinpointing leads you to find it without wallbusting.

We currently have 1 million dukes. Remember this is gamestage 600. Tier 5 quests were rewarding, fun and brief enough back when my gamestage was lower. My complaint is specifically aimed at the point when tier 5's became too impractical to do due to our gamestage. I am facing (at a guesstimate) 500 Irradiated per clear quest. When I said it cost us 500 Shotgun shells each to run one quest I wasn't exaggerating.

Seems one solution could be vendor machines for ammo (at unreasonable prices of course, i.e. somewhat worse than the trader).

You would have a use for the 1 million dukes, at least once legendary items are in the game. Ideally those should be available only through scavenging (at a very low chance) or questing (at a moderate chance). But I think a tier5 quest should take some time, that part is good already.

When you get close, the compass is useless, but if you backtrack away to JUST out of the "you're close" range, the compass marker shows the EXACT location...so set yourself up on the right height using the compass, then set yourself up so that the supplies are in a cardinal direction (ie. DIRECTLY north, south, east, or west), then simply crack straight through any object in a direct path. Often being able to narrow it down to such a tiny area with cardinal direction and height pinpointing leads you to find it without wallbusting.

That's a good tip.

Eh, once you've done a few it becomes obvious where it will be. Just make sure you're at the right height and then look for paintings to break or the little panels they hide bags behind.

Archived