Gyrocopter sucks..

Simmeon

I'm pretty new to this game, been playing for about a month now. I got to level 120 and was finally able to make the gyrocopter. I've been looking forward to this for a while. So after figuring out how to fly the thing, which there are zero in-game instructions or keybindings that I could find, I flew around to try it out. I saw a shotgun factory with a helipad so I thought I'd check it out. The helipad was clear, no zombies so I did my best to land. It doesn't fly like a helicopter at all that I can tell. There's no vertical up or down movement, it's all based on inertia like a plane so I had to kind of slide slowly in. As soon as I touched down, 10 green zombies appeared sleeping around the ring of the helipad. I hadn't woken them yet so I thought I could get out but you have to runway to take off. As I'm grinding into the side of the helipad all the zombies woke, swarmed me and killed me in two seconds. So now my new gyrocompter is on top of the Shotgun Messiah factory, all my tools, weapons, and most of my mats are on top of that thing and I have no way to go retrieve it. Those green zombies need to go... They seriously need to be nerfed. It's just not fun

The shotgun factory is a death trap. If you are not well equipped it is almost impossible to get to the roof through the building.

If you are on a single player game I would suggest to go into debug mode. Then activate the god mode and fly to the roof and get your stuff back.

You get into the debug mode by pressing F1 and then entering the command dm in the console. You activate the god mode with the Q key. The flight control works exactly like the Gyrocopter. Spacebar to climb and C to sink. Use the H key to deactivate or activate flying.

Or you could disable enemy spawning when you start the game. You can do this in the advanced settings.

So now my new gyrocompter is on top of the Shotgun Messiah factory, all my tools, weapons, and most of my mats are on top of that thing and I have no way to go retrieve it. Those green zombies need to go... They seriously need to be nerfed. It's just not fun

It sounds funny, anyway. I’d like to experiment that kind of situation :D

gyrocopter doing a vertical take off

also i agree with the frustrations about the green zombies spawning but i dont think it was an issue with them being green as much as they didnt spawn till you touched down. i do think green zombies should have the same HP as the regular zombies but do extra damage or have some other special skill because theyre pretty impossible to deal with unless you have some good guns and even then they often end up using more ammo than you get from looting an area with them

I love the Gyro-copter (well now that I have modded its max speed to 25). It's a bitch to get off the ground, yes, and for some reason you cannot use direct mouse control once you are up (like you can with all other vehicles), but otherwise it is awesome. My current end-game is rushing all over the map doing tier 5 quests for 5 traders in the Gyro. It's actually tremendous fun (if only I needed any of the crap I am looting or being rewarded with, but it is what it is).

And btw you can spiral down from a height almost vertically; just stop holding the thrust key (which will slow it's forward momentum), and bank to one side or the other and you will spiral down.

As for your specific helipad situation, you could have simply driven the Gyro off the roof! Yes you'd plummet straight to the ground, but neither you nor the Gyro will take damage if you do this. You can in fact just drive off any roof at any height with any vehicle and neither of you will take damage hitting the ground. This is our quick way down from large POIs like the Shotgun factory. Get on your Motorbike on the roof and just drive off the edge.

I'm pretty new to this game, been playing for about a month now. I got to level 120 and was finally able to make the gyrocopter. I've been looking forward to this for a while. So after figuring out how to fly the thing, which there are zero in-game instructions or keybindings that I could find, I flew around to try it out. I saw a shotgun factory with a helipad so I thought I'd check it out. The helipad was clear, no zombies so I did my best to land. It doesn't fly like a helicopter at all that I can tell. There's no vertical up or down movement, it's all based on inertia like a plane so I had to kind of slide slowly in. As soon as I touched down, 10 green zombies appeared sleeping around the ring of the helipad. I hadn't woken them yet so I thought I could get out but you have to runway to take off. As I'm grinding into the side of the helipad all the zombies woke, swarmed me and killed me in two seconds. So now my new gyrocompter is on top of the Shotgun Messiah factory, all my tools, weapons, and most of my mats are on top of that thing and I have no way to go retrieve it. Those green zombies need to go... They seriously need to be nerfed. It's just not fun

There is a difference to beeing swarmed and having the surprise on your side. Not for the faint of heart, but if you have stealth perked up you could try to climb the outside wall with ladders (best put mulitple there in case zombies inside hear you and try to destroy a ladder) or build an access tower yourself (only the blocks at the bottom of the tower need to be sturdy).

Then put down a field of barbed wire around a small concrete platform of height 3 for example. Shoot them with a bow, crossbow or silenced pistol preferably with rad remover mod installed. If multiple zombs detect you they will get stuck in the barbed wire and you can throw molotovs at them and continue to shoot them (as silently as possible) or even melee them. If you use molotovs, always have water in your belt too because it is quite easy to incinerate yourself too, and drinking water stops you from burning!

If too many swarm you, flee and come back after they "lost your scent". Repeat until the roof is cleared.

That's one way to approach it.

Your lost backpack will despawn after one full day, but the timer for it only ticks while you are in the area! So normally you should have ample time (infinite in single player if you stay away). But you can get it with a grab-and-run tactic too. When you are on the roof (stealthed) throw stones to get the zombies away as far as possible, and try to sneak to your backpack. Run if you are discovered. You can even get the gyrocopter this way if you have enough free space in your backpack

Oh and please post what you did and how it worked out (if you tried to get back your stuff without using the creative menu)

The zombies being green on top of a POI like the Shotgun Messiah Factory is appropriate. That is supposed to be a more difficult adventure and nobody should be able to clear it out easily early or late game.

The fact that they spawned after you landed is the problem and one I'm not sure can be solved easily. I've notice the same thing with outdoor spawning sleepers at radio stations. You can see them spawn in through the chainlink fence once you get near. Same problem with graveyards where you can see them spawn in the holes in the ground. Outdoor areas are always going to be tough because the entire sleeper volume is easily in view.

Im happy with the Gyrocopter as a Novelty.

If we are flying in the air all the time at great speed then you'll never be on the ground where zombies can actually get to you, leading to people being able to survive Horde nights by taking a trip to the skies. (feels like cheating)

Honestly with Horde nights and Survival in mind, i dont think aircraft should be a thing in this game at all.

The zombies being green on top of a POI like the Shotgun Messiah Factory is appropriate. That is supposed to be a more difficult adventure and nobody should be able to clear it out easily early or late game.

The fact that they spawned after you landed is the problem and one I'm not sure can be solved easily. I've notice the same thing with outdoor spawning sleepers at radio stations. You can see them spawn in through the chainlink fence once you get near. Same problem with graveyards where you can see them spawn in the holes in the ground. Outdoor areas are always going to be tough because the entire sleeper volume is easily in view.

Yeah that’s exactly it but it is stupid that they take 4-5 shotgun blasts to the face each to kill. That’s why they need to be nerfed imo. You can barely clear out a POI without expending so much ammo that it becomes not worth it to even try.

- - - Updated - - -

Im happy with the Gyrocopter as a Novelty. If we are flying in the air all the time at great speed then you'll never be on the ground where zombies can actually get to you, leading to people being able to survive Horde nights by taking a trip to the skies. (feels like cheating)

Honestly with Horde nights and Survival in mind, i dont think aircraft should be a thing in this game at all.

Actually I’ve found surviving a horde night to be almost insignificant. All you have to do is ride around on your minibike or motorcycle and they never come near you. Once they start coming after you, I just hop on my motorcycle and ride around looting trash and cars. I usually see maybe two zombies and they don’t touch my base.

I love the Gyro-copter (well now that I have modded its max speed to 25). It's a bitch to get off the ground, yes, and for some reason you cannot use direct mouse control once you are up (like you can with all other vehicles), but otherwise it is awesome. My current end-game is rushing all over the map doing tier 5 quests for 5 traders in the Gyro. It's actually tremendous fun (if only I needed any of the crap I am looting or being rewarded with, but it is what it is).

And btw you can spiral down from a height almost vertically; just stop holding the thrust key (which will slow it's forward momentum), and bank to one side or the other and you will spiral down.

As for your specific helipad situation, you could have simply driven the Gyro off the roof! Yes you'd plummet straight to the ground, but neither you nor the Gyro will take damage if you do this. You can in fact just drive off any roof at any height with any vehicle and neither of you will take damage hitting the ground. This is our quick way down from large POIs like the Shotgun factory. Get on your Motorbike on the roof and just drive off the edge.

Actually I couldn’t drive off of it because it had a raised wall one block high around it. I tried to take off but I grinded into the wall. That’s what woke the green sleepers

If we are flying in the air all the time at great speed then you'll never be on the ground where zombies can actually get to you, leading to people being able to survive Horde nights by taking a trip to the skies. (feels like cheating)

You can even outrun the horde on foot if you have enough coffee. But why does it bother you if someone else is avoiding the horde ?

I think avoiding the horde is a legitimate strategy from the standpoint of survival.

Gyro burns its entire tank in about 5 minutes. You'd have to land and refuel, then find a runaway to get up again. Might be quite a thrill.

You can even outrun the horde on foot if you have enough coffee. But why does it bother you if someone else is avoiding the horde ?

I think avoiding the horde is a legitimate strategy from the standpoint of survival.

I feel it is legitimate as long as there is at least some threat to it. If you make a mistake or don't stay focused then you should have a risk of being caught and overwhelmed.

I feel it is legitimate as long as there is at least some threat to it. If you make a mistake or don't stay focused then you should have a risk of being caught and overwhelmed.

I agree but having a mini bike or a motorcycle means you can avoid every single blood moon, which kind of trivializes the whole concept. I only have to fight the blood horde if I want to.

Actually I’ve found surviving a horde night to be almost insignificant. All you have to do is ride around on your minibike or motorcycle and they never come near you. Once they start coming after you, I just hop on my motorcycle and ride around looting trash and cars. I usually see maybe two zombies and they don’t touch my base.

That's why...

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?106521-Blood-moon-and-toxic-atmosphere

:)

Even without danger, I see it as a legitimate strategy. To be precise, I consider any strategy that involves risk to be flawed.

You only want the threat because you want thrills but not all of us are looking for thrills or challenges. Some just want to have fun.

For example, I'm currently building bases in creative mode and testing them against strong Horde to find an efficient defense that also works against a day 300 Horde.

Investigating what strategy works and what doesn't and how the zombies react to certain things is almost more fun than the main game at the moment.

gyrocopter doing a vertical take off

This won't work without preparations. A gyrocopter generally has no motor-driven rotor like a helicopter.

It's rotor was probably still spinning from a landing or sprinting across the runway.

Thus energy was stored in the rotation of the blades. Comparable to autorotation landings with a helicopter,

when the engine fails.

In fact the rotor of a gyrocopter has exactly the same function as the wings of a plane.

Archived