Zombie loot vs. clothing

Limdood

So i'll start by opening with: "I like the new zombie loot"

I like that i don't have to loot every body that falls all the time. I like that when i DO see that yellow loot bag, i get excited. I like that zombies don't OFTEN have completely outrageous items on them (the loot bags sometimes do, but they're rare).

Now, that being said, my ONE concern for that is that clothing is so vital early on. Finding key clothing items is the barrier for entering certain biomes. It is really frustrating to cut my way through 5+ POIs in the first day or two, and still be stuck wearing plant fiber clothing (which is also pointless, but it seems survival games love making you look like tom hanks in Castaway). Meanwhile, you've killed nearly 100 zombies, and probably 95 of those have had clothes on. We already loot anything and everything from anywhere and everywhere, why not the zombie clothes in various states of disrepair?

Zombie clothing is the pinnacle of ewwww.

If you can stomach the scent of death permeating every square inch of the fabric...the stains of blood and every known bodily fluid known (and many unknown)... and the ever-present reminders of the former inhabitant's demise ranging from tears, rips, claw-shredding and chew-holes...

...if you're OK with ALL of that, then consider that the flesh-eaters are probably not overly concerned with finding a bathroom where they expel the rotten, quasi-digested human remains that festered in the fistulous bowels of their semi-deceased abdomens.

I'll pass and go commando (or clamando as the case may be).

-Morloc

Haha Morloc I deem thee the Cronenberg of Forums. With any zombie story/show, I can never get passed the suspension of disbelief regarding the lack of hygiene :mask:

@Limdood, alternate suggestion if you like to mod. Adds the recipes for existing clothing items in the game. ThreadMasterMod by stasis78 https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?101339-LAME-mods-by-stasis78

In my opinion the best thing about A17 is that zombie loot is gone (for the most part), but I have agree with you. It is really hard to find decent clothing now. Maybe add more of it or let us craft more types of clothing.

It is weird that you can craft something that looks like a knight's armor, but no pants and coats.

Completely agree. Thematically appropriate clothing dropping form zeds was a great idea and I'm sad to see it go. Football helmets, jerseys, cowboy hats, dusters, goth boots, helmets, BDUs, suit clothes, etc. Always trying to find certain zed mobs fun.

Zombie clothing is the pinnacle of ewwww.

If you can stomach the scent of death permeating every square inch of the fabric...the stains of blood and every known bodily fluid known (and many unknown)... and the ever-present reminders of the former inhabitant's demise ranging from tears, rips, claw-shredding and chew-holes...

...if you're OK with ALL of that, then consider that the flesh-eaters are probably not overly concerned with finding a bathroom where they expel the rotten, quasi-digested human remains that festered in the fistulous bowels of their semi-deceased abdomens.

I'll pass and go commando (or clamando as the case may be).

-Morloc

after taking about 5 hits in the game, won't your current clothing be exactly that? bloody AF, ripped all over, and stinking of rot and death? Cuz i start bleeding apparently about 4% of my blood per second every 3rd time i get hit. These hits are causing bleeding, so i'm sure they're ripping our clothes.

If you're fine with that, why not clothes off zombies?

Then again, this thread is just a step back from my earlier idea of:

- start us with a shirt, jeans, and shoes (not the pinnacle of hot, cold, or double protection...just a regular shirt, jeans, and shoes, we can search for better after that)

- remove plant fiber clothing from the game completely, except MAYBE the headgear

- remove those 2 utterly pointless steps in the starter quest

but since they insist on making our characters into some freakish hillman that starts naked, can weave a complete outfit from grass in under a minute and turn cotton into cloth by hand, but CAN'T even drape cloth fragments over themselves in even a crude approximation of clothing, then getting those clothes earlier off of zombies is, IMO, the next best thing.

Naa...I think the plant fiber clothes are a nice way to introduce a player to crafting and the positions of clothing available. Learning which ones are reserved as armor, protective, or go both ways. When I discard the grass skirt to wear armor, I can quickly remake it should I get into an environmental pinch.

It would be reasonable to have us be able to fashion crude cloth protective gear since we can already make cloth armor without perks or a workbench...but I doubt it'd be much more protective than the plant fiber stuff.

The more I think about it...we probably shouldn't be able to make cloth armor in the field without a spinning wheel or something.

And as far as the zombie clothes....I'll wear my 2 day old underwear, but I won't wear yours. I'll also maintain my clothes by rinsing them out as opportunity permits. My blood is also fresh and uninfected. Apples and kidneys. ;)

-Morloc

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has zombies (optionally) dropping filthy clothing, which you can wear as-is for a steep morale penalty, or wash. Washing requires a washboard (crafted from wood), soap, and water.

So we could have...

Zombies occasionally drop zed-appropriate clothing items with a "filthy" flag set, which you either can't wear, or which will gimp some stats if you do.

Washboard: craftable from some wood and maybe some scrap iron

Soap: lootable from washing machines and such, also craftable in the campfire from animal fat, wood ash (produced in the campfire), and (murky) water

Wash bucket: craftable from washboard and bucket. Placeable block. Requires soap and clean water as inputs/tools. Maybe produces single-use items that clear the "filthy" flag from a single article of clothing.

Archived