Best way to get forged steel?

CHangWOlf

So obviously it takes an extremely long time to level up and have the ability to craft forged steel. This puts me in a dilemma because I need about 50 to craft the shotgun. Whats the best way to get forged steel without crafting it?

What version are you playing? In the latest experimental build, if you can build a shotgun, you can make steel ingots. Steel ingots and arrowheads were lowered to level 35 requirement. You just can't make steel tools until level 70. Not that you need them anyway.

Wrench apart ammo containers in the army bases or wrench apart what appears to be the top of electric poles in the junk pois or the gas station pois. These are the only items that I have found to give steel.

Way too many hp and you might get nothing.

Pole Tops.

They give forged Iron and Steel and are easy to wrench.

Honestly not sure if it is worth the time looking for 50 steels just to craft a shotgun. So many gunsafes out there, gota be a shotgun in one.

PS: I only got 2 steels out of 4 of those junk poi thing.

Are none of you paying attention? He can probably make it already if he is on 17.1. That literally is the easiest way to get it.

Are none of you paying attention? He can probably make it already if he is on 17.1. That literally is the easiest way to get it.

"So obviously it takes an extremely long time to level up and have the ability to craft forged steel."

^^

My interpretation is that he is not on 17.1. After all he used the word "obviously", and ended the post with the solo question.

"Whats the best way to get forged steel without crafting it?".

Thou, even with steel crafting at level 35, I still think it is easier to get a shotgun from looting gunsafes and etc.

Easiest way to get steel bars. ->

- hit F1

- type “cm”

- open creative menu

- search for steel

- drag bars to bag

No more problem ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though havesting is in flux. Who knows what will give steel bars anymore. Will change every alpha.

Trader or craft. Those are the main ways to get em.

Good luck! :)

What we need is a new item, Scrap Steel, or just Steel, just like we already have scrap iron (i.e. Iron). It should be obtainable from logical sources in balanced and semi-realistic amounts. The main variables would be how much damage you do per hit and what tool you are using to harvest.

Vehicles: 5% chance per X damage done, 20% chance for double harvest if using wrench

Safes: 5% chance per X damage done, 20% chance for double harvest if using pick

Steel doors: 5% chance per X damage done, 20% chance for double harvest if using pick

Steel beams: 10% chance per X damage done

Misc steel construction: 10% chance per X damage done

Rebar: 10% chance per X damage done

..and so on. I'm sure the devs can think of at least a few more sources. I also leave it to them to decide the damage amounts needed to trigger a harvest drop, and yes, if you aren't doing a minimum amount of damage to trigger one then you will get nothing. There should be a warning that tells you this after the first ineffective hit...strength and skill will effectively gate steel harvesting. I actually wish everything worked this way in 7D - as in real life, the strongest and most resilient tend to be the best at manual labor so pure strength would be tops for mining, woodcutting and salvaging. I also wish they would add another tool like a Metal Shear or something similar to better deal with iron and steel (particularly molded stuff like beams). Using a pick is not really that logical and shouldn't be very effective vs steel even if its a steel pick because humans simply don't have the strength to pull it off. Wrenches are obviously steel as well but they can at least be thought of as disassembling a steel item, so wrenches should be less effective vs steel beams and other things that aren't really mechanically assembled.

For all the people saying "shotguns are everywhere!"

yeah, level 1 and 2 shotguns. If someone wants to use a shotgun as their #1 go to POI clear or ranged weapon, they're going to take the effort to make one at the highest quality they can, so they can stick all the mods they can on it.

I've found myself certainly waiting impatiently for the level/resources to craft a shotgun or pistol at level 4 or 5 so i could finally put the various gun mods i'd had on it.

Easiest way to get steel bars. ->

- hit F1

- type “cm”

- open creative menu

- search for steel

- drag bars to bag

No more problem ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though havesting is in flux. Who knows what will give steel bars anymore. Will change every alpha.

Trader or craft. Those are the main ways to get em.

Good luck! :)

I would suggest search for "forged steel", since steel brings up lots of blocks.

Archived