Some A17 thoughts

quill

Haven’t dealt with many artists?

Get over your judgement of it and try and see it from his perspective. It’s his baby. His creation. It is going to take a lot of convincing to overcome the natural inclination that he knows best in regards to his art.

If it is important to you then do what works and convince him in a way that puts his game in a better light.

Joel really isn’t obstinate so much that he naturally believes he knows best for his own creation. But he has come around before because he is not purely obstinate.

I mean I can respect that also. I think it is a very thin line to walk. We the players tend to forget that just because we give feedback does not mean the person does not listen, and or should listen at times or heck even agree with us.

I am pretty laid back, so if I don't like something I just voice it and don't take it personal. This might sound harsh, but I want a game that he designs, not what the community designs. Even if it turns out to be something I don't like. Some helpful feedback and changes are cool, but I tend to think gamers are better at just playing games not trying to help make them.

A LCB thread I started recently. Has some SP uses for more than 1 LCB: https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?102208-Land-Claim-Block-1-Active-vs-Concrete-Mixer-FOB-moving-Opinions

Edit: kinda important; I can live w no big builds out of the gate, and I'm trying to adapt. Advice was to use POIs. Okay. Doing that, but only way to stop spawns is LCB or bedroll. I like to be able to place a bedroll down prior to hitting a new, tough POI, so use LCB in first POI base. Couple weeks later start building a new main base. Will need a Concrete Mixer to make the Wet blocks to build base. Will likely need to move mixer right? And I'm not usually building this next door, so will be gone from 1st base days at a time. It's a POI so ...

Haven’t dealt with many artists?

Get over your judgement of it and try and see it from his perspective. It’s his baby. His creation. It is going to take a lot of convincing to overcome the natural inclination that he knows best in regards to his art.

If it is important to you then do what works and convince him in a way that puts his game in a better light.

Joel really isn’t obstinate so much that he naturally believes he knows best for his own creation. But he has come around before because he is not purely obstinate.

To be fair, i AM very bad at dealing with...artistic types. I am very rational, so it is almost impossible for me to understand people who are not being rational. I understand they exist, but I have no idea how to deal with them. I just automatically assume, that If I tell something to a person, this argument just wont work second time, since it didnt work first time.

But you should also understand, that on this side of the forum it is even harder to deal with artistic types, since you can't see return reaction. You dont know if your argument have been heard, or if it has been ignored. Honestly, I just assumed, before your post today, that claim block problem is acknowledged, devs know they need to fix it, but they can't, because of some other issues, aka new engine incompatibility. We are walking in the darkness here. We dont know if we have to keep creating new threads, or maybe that one thread was enough, and we shouldnt act like obstinate children and spam new topics everyday, repeating the same point again and again.

To be fair, i AM very bad at dealing with...artistic types. I am very rational, so it is almost impossible for me to understand people who are not being rational. I understand they exist, but I have no idea how to deal with them. I just automatically assume, that If I tell something to a person, this argument just wont work second time, since it didnt work first time.

But you should also understand, that on this side of the forum it is even harder to deal with artistic types, since you can't see return reaction. You dont know if your argument have been heard, or if it has been ignored. Honestly, I just assumed, before your post today, that claim block problem is acknowledged, devs know they need to fix it, but they can't, because of some other issues, aka new engine incompatibility. We are walking in the darkness here. We dont know if we have to keep creating new threads, or maybe that one thread was enough, and we shouldnt act like obstinate children and spam new topics everyday, repeating the same point again and again.

I mean I am rational also, and I understand artistic types. They care deeply for what they do and how much time they invest in what they do. They get hurt, or even offended when someone talks poorly about what they care for, and tend to ignore people who wants to change what they want and always feel their vision is right.

I mean they are not wrong, at the end of the day they are making the game. We can like it or not, we can give feedback, but giving that feedback does not mean they should listen, care, or change what they want. At the end of the day, We are in for the ride, and he controls it.

I mean I am rational also, and I understand artistic types. They care deeply for what they do and how much time they invest in what they do. They get hurt, or even offended when someone talks poorly about what they care for, and tend to ignore people who wants to change what they want and always feel their vision is right.

I mean they are not wrong, at the end of the day they are making the game. We can like it or not, we can give feedback, but giving that feedback does not mean they should listen, care, or change what they want. At the end of the day, We are in for the ride, and he controls it.

But is it okay to throw away people from your ride suddenly? These people have been on the ride for many years, supporting the game, community, and etc. And you then suddenly tell them to get off? Cause you decided, that now you dont need people in green sweaters on your ride? Does it sound okay for you?

Sure, you can say that example is bad, since we can stay and play the new game. But we liked the game for what has been essentially deleted. This is like forcing only meat diet on the train, that allowed vegetarian food before. Sure...they can stay, but would they?

Good one... so great... lot of thought and originality... I'm in stitches...

And you saying he was as useful as a yeast infection was "great" with "a lot of thought and originality"? You need a serious sit-down and contemplate your behavior. Preferably in a time-out in the corner or something.

Thats how you have to build on pvp servers. One of the interesting things there, you can travel and see many different massive projects of people devising ways to protect themselves. And even then, there are still people, who are raiding these big buildings.

But is it okay to throw away people from your ride suddenly? These people have been on the ride for many years, supporting the game, community, and etc. And you then suddenly tell them to get off? Cause you decided, that now you dont need people in green sweaters on your ride? Does it sound okay for you?

Sure, you can say that example is bad, since we can stay and play the new game. But we liked the game for what has been essentially deleted. This is like forcing only meat diet on the train, that allowed vegetarian food before. Sure...they can stay, but would they?

I mean if we are thinking in a rational mind and from his perspective sure.

It is not really a matter of being ok or not, what matters is that we paid for a alpha build of a game in early access. Yes, the game changed to be something that some don't like, but that comes at a cost of it being a alpha for so long.

So lets look at it from his perspective. This is his child, his project and he wants to take it in a certain way. Yet, some of the community does not like that way he is going with it. You now have to ask yourself, who is making the game? The community or me? I could listen to the community and change it back, but it won't be my game anymore. I won't be able to do what I want to do with the game.

While yes being loyal and standing behind him is nice, I supported this game even if I did not like the skill up systems blah blah, because I I like the big changes that happens, and want to see where it goes.

Does it suck for people like the older version? Yes, but for some devs that price to pay is worth it, to take the game in a path that they want it to go. God knows Blizzard does this all the time lol.

That build was nothing compared to my A16.4 Underground base. I had motion activated dart traps on the ladders going up and down, once you crossed it you were shot in the head and the ass, no one ever got past that lol or their bags back for that matter.

The farm base (I always have multiple bases and satellite bases) was protected by a pitfall trap--> Blender (So much fun ) You fell through when you tried to get to the front door and a motion activated trap chopped you up :3

I mean if we are thinking in a rational mind and from his perspective sure.

I disagree. It is never okay to backstab your loyal supporters, especially over such minor and illogical issue. He wins nothing by limiting the game to 1 claim block. All the arguments for 1 claim we heard have been already solved way more elegantly by community in a16. There literally was no single person, who benefited from this change. And many people, who turned into spiteful enemies, instead of loyal supporters.

This is plain irrational. Artist might have had some artistic reason to cut his own ear off. But this decision had nothing to do with rationality.

I'm really sorry buddy I have no idea what your asking here or how it relates to the comment you quoted.

The person was saying that it takes more shots to kill a zombie meaning more farming for arrows that makes things slower.

I was just thinking, Instead of making it easier, just use melee most of the time. Even without levels it comes in handy, and use bow when you really need to. I question if people really need to use a bow on every single zombie they see.

I disagree. It is never okay to backstab your loyal supporters, especially over such minor and illogical issue. He wins nothing by limiting the game to 1 claim block. All the arguments for 1 claim we heard have been already solved way more elegantly by community in a16. There literally was no single person, who benefited from this change. And many people, who turned into spiteful enemies, instead of loyal supporters.

This is plain irrational. Artist might have had some artistic reason to cut his own ear off. But this decision had nothing to do with rationality.

We can also turn it around.

The community that has supported him, backstabs him because his vision of where he wants the game to go causes such a uproar. Yes, I understand I don't really like the system also. However, if he wants it to be like that, I'm not going to blame him, or hate him for it.

I just don't see it as a backstab, I accept that this EA alpha game will change, and many of changes I might not like. I've had the game for a very long time, and I enjoy it when I pick it back up with each big patch. I just think that changes we the players don't enjoy and he does not listen is not the end of the world, or him breaking our trust. We paid for a alpha. That is just how it is.

We can also turn it around.

We can't. He is in the kings role here. He is not a victim. He makes the law. It is up to him if masses are happy or not. It is also his duty to know how masses would react to his actions. Or, at least, have a loyal advisor who would explain it to him. How masses would react and what results he can expect.

Ofc, I am thinking rationally. There are mad kings, who later caused rebellions. There is that.

Archived