Dead is dead

Melandreal

Playing dead-is-dead seems to have huge penalties in the current state of the game. Yes, I know this is Alpha and know its experimental, but I felt I needed to say something about this from a dead-is-dead gamer perspective.

I keep reading about people crying that the horde night is too easy... I see videos showing very easy 7 and 14 day hoards... but then they show their scoreboard and they have died multiple times!

I presume this is why their horde nights are so much easier?!

As I understand it, the game stage gets harder/higher if you don't die, as in a way the game 'wants you to die'.

But I don't understand the thinking behind this as even though the game is called "7 days to die" it is marketed as a survival game...

I play on normal settings, with no cheats on and if I die I start again. I have 820 hours in the game, all played this way, so I am not a nooby player, but I am really finding the horde nights difficult to get through without dying.

Please, devs, consider adding a bonus/buff/incentive to staying alive in this game. I know there is a temporary debuff to those who die, but dead-is-dead really needs some love too.

Penalising us by making the horde nights harder (as we don't die multiple times during normal gameplay) seems very unfair to me :(

Edit: on my 7 day horde I got irradiated zombie cops, irradiated spider zombies, etc etc etc!!!

Playing dead-is-dead seems to have huge penalties in the current state of the game. Yes, I know this is Alpha and know its experimental, but I felt I needed to say something about this from a dead-is-dead gamer perspective.

I keep reading about people crying that the hoard night is too easy... I see videos showing very easy 7 and 14 day hoards... but then they show their scoreboard and they have died multiple times!

I presume this is why their hoards are so much easier?!

As I understand it, the game stage gets harder/higher if you don't die, as in a way the game 'wants you to die'.

But I don't understand the thinking behind this as even though the game is called "7 days to die" it is marketed as a survival game...

I play on normal settings, with no cheats on and if I die I start again. I have 820 hours in the game, all played this way, so I am not a nooby player, but I am really finding the hoard nights difficult to get through without dying.

Please, devs, consider adding a bonus/buff/incentive to staying alive in this game. I know there is a temporary debuff to those who die, but dead-is-dead really needs some love too.

Penalising us by making the hoard nights harder (as we don't die multiple times during normal gameplay) seems very unfair to me :(

Very simple solution, turn down the difficulty.

Almost as simple solution, reduce the difficulty multiplier in gamestages.xml so the hordes are easier but the individual zombies dont get weaker.

Turn down? Difficulty? No way ... that means you have to say "Im playin' on easy" instead of "Hey man, Insane!!!" ... Just cry for the DEVs to reduce the difficulty. So that players can still be proud to play on insane.

Worked with Blizzard too ... everyone wanted to beat a Lvl 100 Paragon-Portal, so they cried and cried ... Blizzard reaction? Turned down the difficulty, raised the damage ... now everyone can do a lvl 100 ... But the progamer are still better. And now the normal ones cry again. Reaction? Blizz raise the dmg again.

It ever was and ever will be the same.

Sorry, for sarcasm, but i cant bear those people any longer -.-

This is nothing about hardcore, but about "realism" or as much as you can get in a zombie game (!)

I play dead-is-dead, not super hardcore settings.

This WAS on normal, and the next one down and the easiest!!!! I am not asking for it to be easier, just less punishment for the dead-is-dead gamestyle - whatever the setting is on!!

Putting my game on the EASIEST setting with zombies set to walk, was the ONLY way I could keep up with horde night and not die and I STILL got zombie cops, irradiated spider zombies, etc etc etc!!! (so yeah - NOT an "insane" gamer as you say!!)

This cannot be intended surely?!

This is nothing about hardcore, but about "realism" or as much as you can get in a zombie game (!)

This WAS on normal, and the next one down and the easiest!!!! I am not asking for it to be easier, just less punishment for the dead-is-dead gamestyle - whatever the setting is on!!

Putting my game on the EASIEST setting with zombies set to walk, was the ONLY way I could keep up with hoard night and not die and I STILL got zombie cops, irradiated spider zombies, etc etc etc!!! (so yeah - NOT an "insane" gamer as you say!!)

Game stage seems broken. You can cheese the system by trying to avoid killing zombies and keeping your level way down. Seem to be the only choice for now in "Experimental".

TFP: For some reason if I make you die (cheap deaths, like a horde of dogs on day 4 or radiated cop on horde night day 7 because you rushed to forge) you can't say the game is easier. Meaning that I keep my promise of the game being hard "survival".

Its a turn off for sure.

There are a fwe things that make Death is Death in A17 not really enjoyable, FOR ME.

* Startgame (B208 made it allready better) feels like playing in glue. (Too hot, too cold, emcumbered, out of stamina)

* Mining in desert is deadly all 2 Km (i consider as a bug).

* Mining itself make no fun the first 30-60 level

* RNG really can hate you (Games without meat, 8 Trader all Forges down,....)

* Gamestage goes up too quickly, not enough time to make a decent base or equip yourself

But understand me right, except that i ignore deaths during mining (and remove the death buff if happens) Death is Death is playable, but to be enjoyable it need some small mods and a more free interpretation of Death is death

(Currently only mod i use is a coffee buff timer of 480 instead of 120 seconds)

There are a fwe things that make Death is Death in A17 not really enjoyable, FOR ME.

* Startgame (B208 made it allready better) feels like playing in glue. (Too hot, too cold, emcumbered, out of stamina)

* Mining in desert is deadly all 2 Km (i consider as a bug).

* Mining itself make no fun the first 30-60 level

* RNG really can hate you (Games without meat, 8 Trader all Forges down,....)

* Gamestage goes up too quickly, not enough time to make a decent base or equip yourself

But understand me right, except that i ignore deaths during mining (and remove the death buff if happens) Death is Death is playable, but to be enjoyable it need some small mods and a more free interpretation of Death is death

(Currently only mod i use is a coffee buff timer of 480 instead of 120 seconds)

Just curious what you mean by mining in the desert is deadly all 2 Km? I don't think I've tried mining in the desert in A17

Just curious what you mean by mining in the desert is deadly all 2 Km? I don't think I've tried mining in the desert in A17

I started my first A17 game in the desert. The temperature is DEADLY there...

You used to get hot in the desert in A16, and had to take shelter to cool down. I thought that was well balanced... The problem with A16 was the "constantly changing clothes" gate thing...

In A17, once you get too hot in the desert, you are screwed! So you need clothes that give good heat protection. Which you dont have in the beginning...

So in A17, there is really only one good starting area. The forest. That's it...

Personally I play dead is dead, and always have done since 7D2D got greenlighted on steam and looked like minecraft with way cooler zeds, I don't remotely consider myself 'hardcore' but Ive watched people play on twitch or youtube that have died more times in A17 in 14 days than I have in over 1700 hours of playing. With the current planned death debuff being reduced there will be an incentive to dieing (with a reduced gamestage) rather than an incentive to survive.

Playing this game on the default settings is the only thing I have ever done as I personally think its supposed to be played on default and the devs thusly balanced it towards a neutral playstyle giving people who have just started the opportuninty to turn it down or those looking for a stronger challenge the ability to up the difficulty.

If they are going to keep the 'death debuff' then there should also be a 'survive buff' to cater for people that do care about surviving that are being punished for not dieing and getting harder BM hordes as a result.

Death is death is a niche choice(it's not like anyone is forcing it on you, it isn't even a game option), to make the game even harder, and then to come cry about it being too hard??? I'm sorry, LMAO here.

In all seriousness though, I'm not a big fan of the gamestage mechanic either, getting punished for doing well...feels like too much realism to me (because whenever things are going really well in my life I feel like the universe is about to invariably ♥♥♥♥ on me).

I haven't been lucky enough to get too many desert starts, and then I setup base wherever the trader is, so I haven't enough experience with them in A17 to really comment other than;

1. You've got until level 5 before temperature really affects you

2. Poncho, 20 leather

3. Yucca everywhere, so at least minimal hydration to be had.

Think desert is bad, try snow. I think heat/dehydration is easier to deal with then freezing/starving in this game. There is no craftable cold-weather equiv to the poncho.

Putting my game on the EASIEST setting with zombies set to walk, was the ONLY way I could keep up with horde night and not die and I STILL got zombie cops, irradiated spider zombies, etc etc etc!!! (so yeah - NOT an "insane" gamer as you say!!)

ALL of you playing on nomad or normal, need to consider that that is the medium difficulty settings.There are alot of ppl m see on youtube, killing the horde with no problem.

To reduce difficulty you can do a lot of things in this game, increase daylight length, reduce the difficulty setting, add more air drops, increase the loot, etc

If the Soil colapses, it colapses in a so high amount of voxels that there is no way to survive

A8B66A33FE0504BFA1F1BBE01647AADE7C70DB5B

Had this 4 times

4th time as you can see arround 10+ BLocks behind me colapsed at the same time. and arround 8 Blocks high. (i digged where i later placed the frames to have a fixpoint on the ss)

I had q5 Light Leather and army armor and 150 HP. No chance

ALL of you playing on nomad or normal, need to consider that that is the medium difficulty settings.There are alot of ppl m see on youtube, killing the horde with no problem.

To reduce difficulty you can do a lot of things in this game, increase daylight length, reduce the difficulty setting, add more air drops, increase the loot, etc

Yeah and I would take a bet that those people that are killing the BM horde with no problem and saying how easy it is have a low gamestage and +10 deaths by the time the 7 day horde hits them...

If the Soil colapses, it colapses in a so high amount of voxels that there is no way to survive

Had this 4 times

4 time as you can see arround 10+ BLocks behind me colapsed at the same time. and arround 8 Blocks high.

lol, interesting....

I did say I have tried it on Normal and easy and the one inbetween, and zombies not running etc etc. :(

But I don't like turning settings down from the standard settings the devs decided would be "normal". I have played this game long enough to resent turning it down to easy when the description for easy is a setting "for noobs" - the game actually lists this as the description! :(

I really don't like this new game design of penalising those who don't die multiple times in their game.

It seems to be a fact that the BM horde is harder if you don't die, and play dead-is-dead...

To all the people with "easy" BM hordes = try a game of dead-is-dead on your current settings and see what your own 7-day horde is like.

Just try it.

Thats the point about Difficulty settings.

Theres a reason why there is a Middle aka normal.

Many people hate it to turn down difficulty.

Why not balance arround normal as normal and add a new Difficulty "Obnoxious"

(Joke is that all it would need would be a rename of the DIfficulty options and one difficult lower as default)

To all the people with "easy" BM hordes = try a game of dead-is-dead on your current settings and see what your own 7-day horde is like.

Just try it.

I have and do, it's not as easy as many like to claim it to be by any shake of the stick, hell I recently watched a game on youtube by Games4kicks (who madmole said is a great player...) on his 14 day horde in a ranger station poi with wood frames as a catwalk and flagstone walls and he did really well, but I laughed my ass off when he bought up the screen that showed he had died 15 times to get to the 14 day BM horde.

I still don't know, where the problem should be ... i made the 14th night now. How? 3 AK. Using ONE ... the other two are just for the panic-scream-moment, i waited for.

Enemies? Ferals. Radiated Ferals, Cops, radiated Cops (looking damn cool) and all other loveley creatures. 100 Bullets gone after the horde.

Problem? Zero. Why? Headshots. And trained Headshots a lot. I'm level 80 now. Maybe all those complaining peeps should think about their tactics ... even those with 800+ hours ...

Had this 4 times

4th time as you can see arround 10+ BLocks behind me colapsed at the same time. and arround 8 Blocks high. (i digged where i later placed the frames to have a fixpoint on the ss)

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...they call that insanity.

Digging in sand and it is collapsing on you? Imagine that.

I still don't know, where the problem should be ... i made the 14th night now. How? 3 AK. Using ONE ... the other two are just for the panic-scream-moment, i waited for.

Enemies? Ferals. Radiated Ferals, Cops, radiated Cops (looking damn cool) and all other loveley creatures. 100 Bullets gone after the horde.

Problem? Zero. Why? Headshots. And trained Headshots a lot. I'm level 80 now. Maybe all those complaining peeps should think about their tactics ... even those with 800+ hours ...

Video - (showing no game deaths in your scoreboard) or it didn't happen ;)

I keep reading about people crying that the horde night is too easy... I see videos showing very easy 7 and 14 day hoards... but then they show their scoreboard and they have died multiple times!

I presume this is why their horde nights are so much easier?!

I play on normal settings, with no cheats on and if I die I start again. I have 820 hours in the game, all played this way, so I am not a nooby player, but I am really finding the horde nights difficult to get through without dying.

Penalising us by making the horde nights harder (as we don't die multiple times during normal gameplay) seems very unfair to me :(

Edit: on my 7 day horde I got irradiated zombie cops, irradiated spider zombies, etc etc etc!!!

Wait, Is "Dead is Dead" actually an option in game? If so where?

Wait, Is "Dead is Dead" actually an option in game? If so where?

No, Its just a personal choice, the game played (usually) at normal settings, but if you die, its game over - you turn it off and start again from scratch at day 1.

It gives you a real sense of survival and a real sense of achievement.

I never felt that survival games should allow death and respawn.

'The Forest' had the death idea a little better (although I don't like the game as much) but it allowed you to "pass out" as your first death and the second death was game over. That worked for me, I kinda liked that idea.

But it seems to me if you die multiple times in 7 days to die, all your hordes are made easier for you - that kinda sucks :(

Archived