What are your personal edits?

Avelon

If you have made some edits to the game XMLs, I'm interested to know what is done.

I changed the starting inventory to a femur and a cigar. I love that cigar, and the femur obviously is to make a bone shiv with.

I changed the tutorial quest to simply be craft a bedroll. I generally don't need or want several of the things in the tutorial besides the skill points, and it lets me get started faster.

I've turned off invisible animals and am trying to find a good balance so that large game isn't too common by increasing the number of rabbits. Being much harder to see, this works out fairly well. I actually see bears in the wild every few days and once so far have seen 2 bears together, near a biome border. Wolves generally get me before I make it to day 3 and I play iron man so that's a GG.

I changed a few things in rwgmixer, namely spacing mountains out more, lowering terrain max height to 100, and adjusting pine Forest and snow biomes to appear at lower altitudes.

I removed or greatly lessened level gating on skills and perks. Level 25 in a skill allows the purchase of the final rank of a weapon perk. Perks with 3 tiers are 10/20/30 skill. Max level for a character is 100 with 12 skill points per level and skills go up 2x faster. Player experience is unchanged apart from a lower level cap. Level 5 crafting skills are enough to unlock all perks that previously required level 6+ crafting.

The idea is simple: character builds, with specialization in mind. Since I play iron man rules, and I'm not the greatest at this game, I haven't yet exceeded level 30. With vanilla settings I made it to 120 without too many problems or close calls. The increased wildlife is really kicking my butt and I'm loving it.

I mostly confine myself to cosmetic edits - I'm one of those weirdos who considers changing the game balance to be "cheating".

1. Added experience, hunger and thirst bars to the UI.*
  2. Added a key to the map preview so you can see which colour is which terrain type.*
  3. Added deaths and zombie kills to the UI.*
  4. Changed the various recipes that use up glass jars so you get the jar back when you've eaten the food.
  5. Removed the horribly sexist stripper zombies.

* These are adapted from other people's mods, rather than things I did from scratch.

Changed some existing icons, as some didnt make sense or just looked bad

added more food items

rBCkeDht.png

added couple more bullet types (iron + heavy iron, heavy brass)

added the fishing xmls (changed fishing icons to look better)

potassium makeable

bullet tips to be makeable with steel (running out of lead)

scrap iron can now be picked up (trying to work out tires and stone blocks and other items that should be able to be pickedup)

change the ui added thirst hunger

I always make weapons into launchers. Then create ammos. That way I have bullet drop on all weapons. It is oddly satisfying to land a head shot with a sniper if you have bullet drop. Candles make great models for the bullet cuz it glows. Has almost a bullet tracer effect.

Since A17 is just around the corner (you know, give or take six months), I decided to make A16 a bit easier so I could experience some higher levels before everything changes.

Basically, I increase inventory capacity so we can hold 99999 of stuff instead of 1000 or less. I simplified some of the recipes to require fewer resources. I lowered the cost of skills. I increase run speed 25%. I don't make it too easy, I just make it a bit easier to buy skills and craft stuff and level up. Blood moons can still take a heavy toll if you aren't prepared. And there is nothing like forgetting to shut the front door and the next thing you know a wandering horde is in your house wrecking everything...

I made wood blocks so you can pick them up. That adds an element of fun, being able to pick them up and move them. I once tweaked car spawning and accidentally flooded the landscape with wrecked cars - some settings are a bit sensitive....

Some of these are completely excellent! After A17 has been patched once or twice I will probably get into heavier editing. In particular the UI/HUD, I think this is one of those games where I'd like it gone completely.

Little update on my spawn rate changes: I think I'm happy with replacing all invisible animal entries with rabbits, or simply removing the entry for groups already containing rabbits. Rabbits are set at 0.5 probability in all cases, and are included in hostile groups (second line, so as to preserve the spawning rules). There are still wolves basically everywhere but with stags and pigs set to 0.25 or lower I don't see them all that often. Moreso than vanilla for sure. But I also frequently see a darting movement in the grass which is a rabbit and usually jumpscares me because I'm on high alert for wolves when I play now.

The only other adjustments I made were removing vultures from snow biomes (I just don't see them winding up there) and adding normal wolves in their place, then increasing the likelihood of vultures in deserts tremendously. Vultures are probability 1 against rabbits and snakes each at 0.15 and I see them all the time there now.

I mostly confine myself to cosmetic edits - I'm one of those weirdos who considers changing the game balance to be "cheating".

1. Added experience, hunger and thirst bars to the UI.*
  2. Added a key to the map preview so you can see which colour is which terrain type.*
  3. Added deaths and zombie kills to the UI.*
  4. Changed the various recipes that use up glass jars so you get the jar back when you've eaten the food.
  5. Removed the horribly sexist stripper zombies.

* These are adapted from other people's mods, rather than things I did from scratch.

Did you also remove the nurse or add a male one? I mean isn´t it sexist to assume such jobs are done only by women? No?

What about the mother? It´s sexist that there is no father.

That said, once it is released i will make it more romero like. Well if the optimization works properly that is. Only normal Z´s, always slow but only killable with headshot. And ofc way more Z´s than now, even if i have to downgrade their looks for that. (Yes i am planning on getting a strong cpu with a 5ghz turbo)

How do you change the crop growth times?

I really improved the game by increasing the hp of stone, so you can't just tunnel underground.

Now I've been trying to fix the 7 day horde spawns, because I don't want to see glowing zombies and cops, it's just dumb. They've made a real mess of the xml code for that though.

I saw your thread, lots of bickering there. It just sounds like you want a game more like what Rust was going to be before they removed zeds and messed everything up with their engine port. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sad about what happened to that game, but oh well.

Growth rates are in blocks.xml.

Did you also remove the nurse or add a male one? I mean isn´t it sexist to assume such jobs are done only by women? No?

What about the mother? It´s sexist that there is no father.

I haven't the ability to mod the models and textures, so removing the stripper from the XML is about my limit.

But yes, the fact that men get to be things like soldiers, athletes, cops, businessmen, lumberjacks, farmers, and so forth while women get to be things like girl, mother, nurse (who is dressed in what looks more like a "sexy nurse" halloween costume than a realistic nurse's outfit) and stripper is terribly sexist.

There should be a far more even spread when it comes to gender and zombie type. The people I play with are all women, and they find the current division of zombie types to be typically terrible.

(Although what really made them roll their eyes was when there was a video showing off the new motion capture. The female player model was walking around with a realistic feminine gait - because it was motion captured from a real woman's movements - yet Madmole commented while showing it that they would "need" to exaggerate the hip sway to make it "more feminine". No! You don't need to do that! You can leave it as it is and it will be realistic. You don't need to exaggerate it into some weird catwalk-model movement.)

It just sounds like you want a game more like what Rust was going to be

I don't know anything about Rust. I want a game like Seven Days would be if it tried to be realistic. I hate when people point out "but zombies aren't realistic". No kidding? I want basic classic zombies, that's it, no more than that. No spitter cops or any of that nonsense.

I really like the way that this game allows you to build with physics, and the graphics are obviously better than Minecraft. However, the building needs to be more realistic. No bashing steel walls with your fist, or having zombies come through, and no printing your own steel walls inside an underground base. Definitely no digging underground without serious effort. I'm amazed that people actually think it's easy to dig an underground tunnel, it's like one of the most complex engineering tasks in the world. Building a skyscraper is easier than digging a subway. There's a reason our buildings tend to go up and not down.

So to sum up what I've said many times, I just want to see a realistic economy and construction options, with normal zombies. I think that would be a really great game, but the current version lets the player base become so strong that they have to keep adding absurd super zombies to try and counter the unbalanced players, who can simply retreat to the underground 'safe' spot if anything gets too difficult. I just want the opposite of creative mode, but I obviously don't want to be fighting a horde of feral dogs and spitter cops while I'm still using a wooden club. I want a wooden palisade to be something awesome, not just something you can throw up the first day and don't even need to bother with. Cement should be like some kind of major advanced technology, not just something I easily mass produce all day long because I can sell it to the trader.

I got kinda bored editing the .xml, but maybe I'll go back to it... the 7 day horde spawn thing is just ridiculous, thousands of lines of nonsense. I don't want the game to start switching out normal zombies for sci-fi DOOM zombies, it should just keep increasing the number of roaming hordes and gradually create difficulty via more organic and realistic means. With no loot respawn and realistic construction limitations, the normal zombies will inevitably pose a significant threat, and there is no need for super zombies. The game is fun until it starts forcing all the crazy zombies on you, at which point it just gets dumb.

Archived