Irradiated Zombie look

Viktoriusiii

I just wanna bring this up... since I've seen SOME backlash back in the day when Joel posted a video highlighting radiated zombies... but not much after that.

Who here really likes those green glowingsticks? I mean for real. They are worse then the burning zombies...

Why aren't they more like the current burning zombies? Hints of green getting out on some parts of the body? Why do they have to have an aura that screams "look at me look at me! I'm glowing in the dark!"

I know its probably too late for A17... but ever since their inception this REALLY bothered me. So please PLEASE change that.

Even if that means creating a new zombie look for every possible radiated zombie. Because this glow makes no sense, is distracting and ugly as all hell and actually takes away from the seriousness.

Seriousness? The fact it has zombies at all is seriousness to you? Having all the stuff you can have in the back pack is seriousness? I could keep on different things but will stop with that. Sorry not trying to come across as a ass. I'm just saying is all.

Anyway I understand what you are trying to say. Personally don't have a problem with them. Sure they need some more work done with them but so does a lot of things in the game that is why it is alpha. From what it sounds like some textures have been improved some and AI is being approved. So maybe they will not be that horrible come A17 if they don't have it all fixed or whatever then maybe A18 will address it. Until they are finished you could always go in and take them out of your game I mean technically even if they are finished and you still don't like them you can go and take them out. Remember it is easier for us to take things out then it is for us to add things.

Yes it is. Because I do not constantly think "omg my backpack is too big, how can I be scared of zombies now?"

I'm not talking about realism. I'm talking about taking the game and its threats serious. Which (hopefully with better AI we will in A17) is completly undermined by those cartoony looking glowsticks.

I just wanna bring this up... since I've seen SOME backlash back in the day when Joel posted a video highlighting radiated zombies... but not much after that.

Who here really likes those green glowingsticks? I mean for real. They are worse then the burning zombies...

Why aren't they more like the current burning zombies? Hints of green getting out on some parts of the body? Why do they have to have an aura that screams "look at me look at me! I'm glowing in the dark!"

I know its probably too late for A17... but ever since their inception this REALLY bothered me. So please PLEASE change that.

Even if that means creating a new zombie look for every possible radiated zombie. Because this glow makes no sense, is distracting and ugly as all hell and actually takes away from the seriousness.

Easily modded out. Look for this line

<property name="ParticleOnSpawn" value="ParticleEffects/RadiatedParticlesOnMesh" param1="SetShapeToMesh0"/>

comment it out. Done. no more "cartoony" green.

Seriousness? The fact it has zombies at all is seriousness to you? Having all the stuff you can have in the back pack is seriousness? I could keep on different things but will stop with that. Sorry not trying to come across as a ass. I'm just saying is all.

Anyway I understand what you are trying to say. Personally don't have a problem with them. Sure they need some more work done with them but so does a lot of things in the game that is why it is alpha. From what it sounds like some textures have been improved some and AI is being approved. So maybe they will not be that horrible come A17 if they don't have it all fixed or whatever then maybe A18 will address it. Until they are finished you could always go in and take them out of your game I mean technically even if they are finished and you still don't like them you can go and take them out. Remember it is easier for us to take things out then it is for us to add things.

When someone is talking about realism (or seriousness) in a game it is obviously in accordance with the game's universe, not real life. Of course, this universe is TFPs' creation - they could have zombies shooting rainbows out of their orifices, give them butterfly wings and so on...

Afaik though, they are going for realism/seriousness in this game, so I am certain that in no way are these considered finished and that they are only placeholders. I don't like them either, but I believe textures/effects should be some of the last things to be refined. That said, I do hope for this glow to be toned-down.

When someone is talking about realism (or seriousness) in a game it is obviously in accordance with the game's universe, not real life. Of course, this universe is TFPs' creation - they could have zombies shooting rainbows out of their orifices, give them butterfly wings and so on...

Afaik though, they are going for realism/seriousness in this game, so I am certain that in no way are these considered finished and that they are only placeholders. I don't like them either, but I believe textures/effects should be some of the last things to be refined. That said, I do hope for this glow to be toned-down.

Next mod....

Feral zombie cop with butterfly wings that farts rainbows.

And has a unicorn horn.

I think you are missing the point of the radiated zombies. Have you ever seen anything that glows in the dark? It looks like that for a reason. It is giving of radiation in the form of photons at that specific energy wavelength. The green glow is absolutely accurate. Just look at radium clocks or thorium glow rods, or uranium marbles? They nailed it. That is pretty much exactly what it looks like in the real world.

Subtle green showing out of cracks in their skin makes no sense. When you are radiated enough to glow it is going to be your ENTIRE body, not small cracks/chunks. I personally love it.

Radium_Dial-56a12ab43df78cf7726808fb.jpg.18498476d216de4f497e9112a81b7986.jpg

Not to mention the over done glowing effect has a major impact on horde night performance. Get up in the 1000 gamestage and over and tell me your blood moon doesnt start to show performance issues.

I rather liked Joels initial irradiated zombie looks, with the outline only. As opposed to the Scooby Doo cartoon villain they look like now.

Given how much tougher the irradiated Z's are to kill, I really want a blindingly obvious indicator of which onces are so tough, so the glowing halo is handy in that sense.

Thery also rip through a building so much faster, so agin, it's handy to know which ones to target ASAP.

I think you are missing the point of the radiated zombies. Have you ever seen anything that glows in the dark? It looks like that for a reason. It is giving of radiation in the form of photons at that specific energy wavelength. The green glow is absolutely accurate. Just look at radium clocks or thorium glow rods, or uranium marbles? They nailed it. That is pretty much exactly what it looks like in the real world.

Subtle green showing out of cracks in their skin makes no sense. When you are radiated enough to glow it is going to be your ENTIRE body, not small cracks/chunks. I personally love it.

It is not the same case with flesh.

https://education.jlab.org/qa/radglow_02.html

Next mod....

Feral zombie cop with butterfly wings that farts rainbows.

And has a unicorn horn.

Nooooooo!!! what have I done

It is not the same case with flesh.

From your link "It is also possible to "trick" radioactive material into creating visible light. This is called Cherenkov radiation. This happens when the radiation from the radioactive material goes into a material such as glass or water."

I would think seeing how the most abundant molecule in the human body by a long shot is H20, it is possible to achieve a glowing effect with flesh. Wading through nuclear waste would soak you I imagine. Add to that if a zombie waded through some Strontium Aluminate it is going they would be charged during the day light hours and glow like all hell once the sun went down.

I agree that during the day, a bright glow effect is rather silly, but at night that makes perfect sense to me.

From your link "It is also possible to "trick" radioactive material into creating visible light. This is called Cherenkov radiation. This happens when the radiation from the radioactive material goes into a material such as glass or water."

I would think seeing how the most abundant molecule in the human body by a long shot is H20, it is possible to achieve a glowing effect with flesh. Wading through nuclear waste would soak you I imagine. Add to that if a zombie waded through some Strontium Aluminate it is going they would be charged during the day light hours and glow like all hell once the sun went down.

I agree that during the day, a bright glow effect is rather silly, but at night that makes perfect sense to me.

well no... your skin is 64% water (when living) and often bound to other molecules.

This would mean it would be FAR more logical to "shine through" thinner parts of your body (*edit* by "thinner" i mean parts of the body where bloodflow is directly under the skin). Like the burnt zombie.

And the radiation wouldn't NEARLY be as bright as it currently is ingame.

It would MAYBE a faintly visible light in the dark...

maybe they can do a LITTLE brighter then just little specs... since they are kinda OP compared to other zombies...

but the current one makes them have a dbz like aura that penetrates your retina and leaves behind an afterimage of green glow.

Archived