Scary Cities

Moldy Bread

Does anyone feel they should bring back the scary large cities that they used to have in random spawn?

I used to really like the old cities that had their own wasteland biome and were filled with the most dangerous zombies. You know, the cities that used to have the green haze and creepy sound effects?

IMO as the towns and cities get larger they should get far more dangerous and scary. Starting of course with small towns that may have one or two roaming dangerous zombies to large cities which should be reserved for those who are either brave (or stupid) enough to try raid em at a low level, to those who are at lease semi-well equipped. This is because big cities have the best stuff.

Currently the big cities are just free, easy loot. Once you find one you are pretty set. Big cities should have all sorts of dangers from wandering specials, environment hazards, a sewer system and bring back that creepy atmosphere. I enjoy having something to work up to.

A central super-city which is also super-dangerous, filled with special zombies, radiation, environment hazards, bosses but also the best loot and unique POIs would also be a cool addition.

I also wish there was a way we could craft a city in say a flat-land editor and export it to a workshop of some kind so we can share our creations. Or even share handcrafted maps like Navezgane.

What do you guys feel about this?

I do miss the fear that come from being in a big city.

I also miss the big cities with the cops and dogs and other dangerous creatures. I would also like to see radiation in them when radiation comes truly into the game. I used to enjoy making dangerous forays into the city to loot shops or try to fulfill the side quests for dogs or certain kinds of zombies.

I personally don't really care weather or not they are brought back. I mean it would be cool, but it's not really super important to me.

But I'm curious. Why do so many people find this game scary? The "scariest" thing that ever happens to me is when a sleeper respawns behind me and beats my ass cheeks. And even then it's not really scary. Just kinda surprising.

I believe they broke something in Alpha 16 that stopped cities from being counted as cities. They used to be their own biome of sorts but now they're just space inside of an existing biome. It would be nice if they improved on it though and there was a spawn group for each city biome. That way you can control zombie spawns in cities based on biome. Wasteland city, forest city, desert city etc.

I personally don't really care weather or not they are brought back. I mean it would be cool, but it's not really super important to me.

But I'm curious. Why do so many people find this game scary? The "scariest" thing that ever happens to me is when a sleeper respawns behind me and beats my ass cheeks. And even then it's not really scary. Just kinda surprising.

Maybe people mean scary in the threatening sense rather than spooky. Dogs can be scary to new or unskilled players.

I would personally prefer to see cities be much harder than they currently are. In my A16 games, I basically bee-line for the nearest city, set up my base right inside it and if the city is of any reasonable size at all, I'm pretty much done for loot by the time I finished looting that city.

I would personally prefer to see cities be much harder than they currently are. In my A16 games, I basically bee-line for the nearest city, set up my base right inside it and if the city is of any reasonable size at all, I'm pretty much done for loot by the time I finished looting that city.

Agreed, it's too easy. They really should bring back cities filled with wandering zeds, with the zeds being more dangerous the higher the tier of city it is. Cities (and my idea of a super dangerous, radioactive central city) should be for those who are well equipped.

Currently, once you find a city, you are pretty well set. It's kind of silly how easy it makes it. That and I miss the creepy atmosphere.

Agreed, it's too easy. They really should bring back cities filled with wandering zeds, with the zeds being more dangerous the higher the tier of city it is. Cities (and my idea of a super dangerous, radioactive central city) should be for those who are well equipped.

Currently, once you find a city, you are pretty well set. It's kind of silly how easy it makes it. That and I miss the creepy atmosphere.

I have to agree. I really miss the days back in a10-12 where you really couldn't go explore a city until you were decently set up, and even then it was still a challenge.

I believe they broke something in Alpha 16 that stopped cities from being counted as cities. They used to be their own biome of sorts but now they're just space inside of an existing biome. It would be nice if they improved on it though and there was a spawn group for each city biome. That way you can control zombie spawns in cities based on biome. Wasteland city, forest city, desert city etc.

Maybe people mean scary in the threatening sense rather than spooky. Dogs can be scary to new or unskilled players.

I don't think they broke it. The way it is now they did so it be like towns with different districts and such and the city be part of that. But I could be wrong on that.

Either way it would be nice to have that part of the town worked on where it is much more of a challenge. I to miss it and maybe after they get the houses all worked out in A17 they will do something with the city. After A17 hits it seems like houses will be much more scary and challenging then the city part of towns. So it be nice if they could balance it out so the city part is even more challenging.

I still would like to see a map editor system so we could handcraft a map say the size of Navezgane and share it with tools that allows us to change zed spawning, environment, weather zoning and etc. I would to create a huge city map filled with sewers, subways, dungeons and etc.

One problem with the game now is it is "city" or nothing. True, some cities are really small and should be more towns, but wilderness POIS are just some simple, uninteresting houses. I would like to see large, dangerous cities using Zes generating like the abandoned traders do, and more wilderness spots.

Game needs to step up to it´s subtitle and have more Z´s in the cities. Not special ones and dogs but the right amount of people for a city to make them dangerous.

Yeah, game can´t handle blah blah. But please remove the word Horde from your game title then....

(And "Horde Night" is not a horde either. That would at least need to be 50+ to deserve beeing called a horde)

Game needs to step up to it´s subtitle and have more Z´s in the cities. Not special ones and dogs but the right amount of people for a city to make them dangerous.

Yeah, game can´t handle blah blah. But please remove the word Horde from your game title then....

(And "Horde Night" is not a horde either. That would at least need to be 50+ to deserve beeing called a horde)

Have you tried changing the settings to get more zombies on horde night? Keep in mind the first few hordes will not have the max amount if you have it set that high. Also keep in mind when you do reach the days where it does start getting the max you still will not get the max if you had died recently. I want to say somewhere around the 3rd to 5th horde if you haven't died you should get the max number you have it on. If playing on a server and a bunch of people are on, it might bug out or something. It might not bug out as much as it might be the game is calculating someone else that might of died or something along that not to sure to be honest why it does what it does on a server.

I liked the big cities but it would be much better to have a lot of zombies there (like 4x the server set max wandering zombies there)... and wolves and dog packs... along with triggers for hordes...

Where there is a lot of loot there also should be a lot more wandering threats (not just spawns in buildings)...

if you shot a gun in a city you would have like 40-100 zombies from all over... dogs and scavengers would be abundant etc...

Maybe the mission/quest system could trigger these functions ? (especially if we get to hide the HUGE red arrows)...

Have to agree, I don't play as much as I used to, it's just kind of boring, as in too easy. I just finished a 35 day horde, and really it was a piece of cake (in a city) Plus it seems like the zombies don't get much harder for each 7 days. I didn't see any cop zombies or even that many ferals at 35 days.

Make the cities hard like they used to be, you didn't want to go near one if you were early levels.

It would be nice if there were zones that were so hard you needed to be a minimum level to even enter.

I miss the huge cities at 0,0 in random gen with all the zombies wandering around. Sleepers are cool and all but why did they have to replace the zombies wandering around outside..

I agree. The game was a lot more fun when most the zombies were outside the houses rather than inside. Back in A12, it really felt like the zombies had overrun Dysersville seeing them wandering around on the streets everywhere, and it was a mad dash or thrilling sneak to get inside the houses, which were relatively safe. Now with the current "all POIs should be dungeons" mentality, it's being reversed, and now the street is the safest place in a town, basically functioning as a way to traverse between POIs. I'll save my rant against the "dungeon crawl" level design philosophy for another post, but I really liked the old boxed in feeling that the game gave me when the POI I was in was surrounded by zombies and I needed to get out before nightfall.

I miss the huge cities at 0,0 in random gen with all the zombies wandering around. Sleepers are cool and all but why did they have to replace the zombies wandering around outside..

Me too. I also miss the little crossroads building clusters - they made decent based.

But I also like the new, variably sized villages and towns. Really, I want both!

Archived