Underground bases - what's the status of making them vulnerable to zombies?

badger2013

The goal is encourage more underground base building by making it challenging and interesting— not to prevent everyone from building there...

You want to encourage people to go underground bring back the cave system you had several alphas ago. The one with large chambers some of which were flooded with connecting tunnels and zombies that would spawn underground in those chambers.

No other change will get me underground. I find the whole mining experience to be boring and there is no change that will get me to stare at a rock wall while a pick hits it.

Yes but there is a difference between the snoozefest gameplay of a single POI vs an entire biome that makes up more than half the play space of the entire map. I would agree with you that having threats be an aspect of settlements WOULD be better and helping a settlement to defend from a horde attack would be much much better gameplay than simply paying the community leader rent to stay on a patch of land that keeps you 100% safe.

But given the chance of having a more interesting underworld at the cost of a more boring POI I would take that in a heartbeat even if I felt some disappointment that settlements could have been so much more. And if the devs are going to accomodate those who want a safe haven for their playstyle, I think it is a good compromise as it is much easier to just not pay the cost for safety in a settlement than it is just to not play underground.

I have my doubts. What are TFP going to do for Underground? Oxygen? Black lung? These don't really feel very fun imo. The only way to make it fun is with zombies. So how would that work? Tunneling? Swiss cheese lands again? Assuming it's zombies tunneling in, in sorry but where's the defensive strategy for that? Kinda just seems like boring zombie coming for you just for the sake of tension. I'm not saying it won't work. I have had many doubts about things TFP have done in the past, just to be proven wrong. But I just don't see it.

Now on the other hand. A settlement needing your assistance to defend against an incoming horde sounds awesome. Plenty of room to set up defenses and help defend. Sounds great. And I don't see why the size of the biome matters really.

Either way I can't wait to see what TFP do with this issue. I'm either be wrong and have a great time underground or I'll be right and be able to say I told you so 😁

You want to encourage people to go underground bring back the cave system you had several alphas ago. The one with large chambers some of which were flooded with connecting tunnels and zombies that would spawn underground in those chambers.

No other change will get me underground. I find the whole mining experience to be boring and there is no change that will get me to stare at a rock wall while a pick hits it.

This is why I usually don't do much heavy mining until I get the auger. That thing just chews thru all that.

- - - Updated - - -

I have my doubts. What are TFP going to do for Underground? Oxygen? Black lung? These don't really feel very fun imo. The only way to make it fun is with zombies. So how would that work? Tunneling? Swiss cheese lands again? Assuming it's zombies tunneling in, in sorry but where's the defensive strategy for that? Kinda just seems like boring zombie coming for you just for the sake of tension. I'm not saying it won't work. I have had many doubts about things TFP have done in the past, just to be proven wrong. But I just don't see it.

Now on the other hand. A settlement needing your assistance to defend against an incoming horde sounds awesome. Plenty of room to set up defenses and help defend. Sounds great. And I don't see why the size of the biome matters really.

Either way I can't wait to see what TFP do with this issue. I'm either be wrong and have a great time underground or I'll be right and be able to say I told you so ��

In the darkness falls mod, the trader buildings aren't land protected, and it has npc guards on it, that shoot at zombies. There are also quests you can buy to do that I assume spawns a horde to attack the trader outpost and you get rewarded for helping to defend it. The trader npc themselves is immortal, but his entire base can be destroyed by zombies... Or by yourself if you wanted to. This has the flip side of you being able to go in there 24/7 too I think. P.s. the iron spear made with a irow arrowhead and 2 short iron pipes is awesome.

I don't see the point of this entire argument. If I want to play safe, or pvp, or hardcore permadeath zombie fragfest, I pick a server that supports that. With settings, or a mod, or a bot. All the pimps need to do is to allow for these things and get the basics done well. Most of the long-running games are being kept alive by community contributions. At least it feels like that to me. I want 7dtd to be very long-running. I run a vanilla server with a bot for over a year now, it's more fun every wipe. I an enjoying the hell out of it, and what I fear most are artificial constraints. We are defining our own parameters and do's and dont's.I am toying with my own bot and am learning python in doing so, so we have something we can tailor to our specific needs. The pimps and modders, like alloc, make it supremely easy. That should be the core concern. More stuff in the game, all optional. Make it stable. Have a fun game for the next eight years. Just my 2c ;-)

This.

As long as we can mod we can decide the difficulty.

Why even bother with underground?

I people want to live at bedrock, let them.

I modded mines so i can pick them up again, i assume a lot of people think that is a big nono, who cares?

As long as you can play your way and i can play my way, we both win. :)

Safe settlements could easily be a game option, whether you wanna hide in them or fight for them.

Underground is more complicated. It's kind of logical that people would seek shelter underground and it makes sense to make it more interesting for everybody.

Tbh I'm not sure it's easily done with zobies. (tunneling zombies is a no go) The "underground biome" could have its disadvantages. The cold and damp environment would make healing slower and forges/campfires produce stuff slower, no farming etc.

This is why I usually don't do much heavy mining until I get the auger. That thing just chews thru all that.

- - - Updated - - -

In the darkness falls mod, the trader buildings aren't land protected, and it has npc guards on it, that shoot at zombies. There are also quests you can buy to do that I assume spawns a horde to attack the trader outpost and you get rewarded for helping to defend it. The trader npc themselves is immortal, but his entire base can be destroyed by zombies... Or by yourself if you wanted to. This has the flip side of you being able to go in there 24/7 too I think. P.s. the iron spear made with a irow arrowhead and 2 short iron pipes is awesome.

Oh, I'm aware. I love Darkness Falls mod.

This.

Why even bother with underground?

As long as you can play your way and i can play my way, we both win. :)

I urge you to read the whole thread because this circlejerk of a discussion is tiring and fruitless.

This thread is being posted every month since alpha 1, there is a reason for this.

It's not about people trying to force a playstyle upon others or other shenanigans, it's about players not being able to enjoy half of the game's worldspace. Do you see players being bashed for playing in creative? No. Not everyone may feel this way, but anyone who wants to play a complete, coherent survival (among other genres) game does. Because at the moment it is not, for this and other reasons not to be discussed in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

If only there was a way for you to publicly prove it... ;)

Ikr. If ya think of any ways for me to show my love for the mod you let me know k.

Either way I can't wait to see what TFP do with this issue. I'm either be wrong and have a great time underground or I'll be right and be able to say I told you so 😁

I’m mainly thinking of cave systems populated by sleepers, just one special zombie type that can dig, a new horde type that spawns in next to your access points and then hang around, and environmental hazards.

Telling me “I told you so” is the cheap win. My wife has been taking that win for years....

I’m mainly thinking of cave systems populated by sleepers, just one special zombie type that can dig, a new horde type that spawns in next to your access points and then hang around, and environmental hazards.

Telling me “I told you so” is the cheap win. My wife has been taking that win for years....

Lol. I really hope caves come back. I think good AI that knows how to get to your door or hatch and break in would be most welcome.

Also, your a smart guy. Your wife and I will take our wins where we can get them lol.

The real issue here is not to add arbitrary, immersion-breaking hazards to underground, like sleepers/zombies in a player-excavated mine. The real issue is to make basic above-ground gameplay compelling and fun.

Mining is a necessity a lot of times, to get needed materials quickly and without needing to stop constantly due to wandering hordes. When you want 4000 coal and 4000 nitrate to make a stack of exploding bolts, dealing with hordes means you will spend potentially DAYS digging rocks for 1 stack of bolts. Or you can dig one good mine and get all you need in one day.

But I still want open caverns with sleepers and random zombies back. Exploring those was fun, claustrophobic, dark, and when building bridges hanging from the ceiling of a cavern to mine there's a constant tension of falling into unknown darkness.

People still care about this?

The worst part of building above ground is the constant annoying stream of screamers that seem to magically always know exactly where you are.

- P

Rather than magic I’m going to guess torches, forges, and workstations....

Greetings

I have come to the conclusion the only people that complain about people making "safe" underground bases are the greifers and "I pwn yer face NoOb Git Gud) high levels that like to farm low level people. Which is why I now only play solo or co-op with people I know well. :jaded:

Greetings

I have come to the conclusion the only people that complain about people making "safe" underground bases are the greifers and "I pwn yer face NoOb Git Gud) high levels that like to farm low level people. Which is why I now only play solo or co-op with people I know well. :jaded:

You may want to read the thread and see what people actually say though, before coming to a conclusion about them.

Greetings

How does that apply to the majority that playts PvE?

:fat: #MolesUnite

Moles FTW!

And I mean that you can literally win the game by hiding underground during horde night, which I can easily see how it could considered as an exploit. The realistic fix for this is obviously simple. How do you hunt moles causing trouble? With a dog digging them out. So zombie dogs should be able to dig.

just one special zombie type that can dig

Dogs are very special.

I don’t have a problem with the zombies not being able to dig nor attack downward.

I do have a problem with running wood burning forges/campfires/etc. without the need for ventilation. Also I have a problem with a deep base without the need for ventilation.

What I would like to see is a ventilation system added. If the ventilation system is not functional, then it would be like the underwater swimming by depleting your oxygen. The ventilation system would have a above ground component. When in use the zombies see it as “heat” and attack it.

Without a ventilation system, wood burning would run out of oxygen for combustion. The player would have to “hold their breath” to enter the space to get items from the forge/campfire/chem station.

This would not prevent underground bases, but just add a requirement for them. This would also apply to windowless structures.

Is there any reason NOT to require all indoor Campfires, Torches, Forges, GasEngines, and Chemical Fumes

to have special expensive ventilation?

You certainly wouldnt run a Charcoal BBQ grill in your house even if you had the windows open,

so its just silly to think you can do it in underground bunker when you cant do it in a surface building.

Thats what you guys are saying, right?

That you want expensive Ventilation for ALL 'no-sky-view' base fumes regardless of surface or not?

Call your local fire station and ask them if its OK to charcoal BBQ inside as long as you open some windows-

see what they say about Indoor Carcoal BBQs relying on open windows above ground

That topic again. For all you -underground bunker hating- people, just imagine a real survival situation like zombie outbreak or similar threats. Would you build up your highly illuminated towers or would you try to avoid enemy contact as much as possible?

Case closed. Play it your way, but don´t tell other people, how they should play their SP game.

AS spmeone posted earlier in this thread, if TFP add underground Z´s, I´ll remove them. Brainless undead don´t care about digging for gold and diamonds ;)

Archived