FennecMod - Deadly Ferals, Rad Zeds, Specializations, Ore Processing and More

mdf25

I think some seeds will always be bad no matter how you try to sort them out, but if more people feel RWG is too extreme, I can adjust it a little bit :) You should be able to find flat land eventually, I've always found some after some exploration in ones I've used but it could just be I had good seeds :)

The older version had steep cliffs as well and I liked it a lot, it made for very beautiful terrain. I feel it has become more extreme, but I found an even better seed now, random. If you have any seed name suggestions, that would be awesome though, because what I don't like is to know most of the map before I start playing because I flew up to check if the terrain is fine lol.

But how does eating a blueberry pie compare with eating a bunch of cornbread and blueberries? More complex food gives better fullness which prevents you from spamming it, but it feels like the foodgroup stats aren't scaled to take that into account.

This really is a bit problematic, especially if the survivalist and camel skills combined with some class bonus make it even harder. But fortunately the player does have some ways to counter this, specifically steroids and painkillers (though I'm not sure if anything about this recently changed, because it was discussion topic before). It also helps, if you're using only meat/grain/fruit food, as dairy and vegetables both can be kept up really easy by drinking soya milk. If you already have enough wellness, there's really not much point in eating "good" foods, because you can keep up the buffs a lot easier, if you just stuff your face with raw blueberries and corn.

I started a new game last night. Is workbench perk really supposed to be level 60?

Don't worry! While it's true that you get the workbench, forge and chemistry station recipes pretty late, crafting isn't your only option. Traders can sell workbenches and forges and their poi often comes with working versions. If you happen to find a workbench or chemistry station outside of a trader in the wild, that's awesome. You can use them, but even better, you can place a land claim block and steal them. So yeah, you may have to wait for level 60 to build your own, but it's not the first one you'll be using (it CAN'T be, you need to find one to craft one ^^).

I don't mean to be rude or anything, did enjoy the bit of 1.0 I was playing. Any idea ( @mdf25 ) when 1.1 will hit the stable branch of the mod launcher? Waiting until then to give this mod another go.

Also, if there's been any major changes to the class system, can the 'Specializations: What they do' subsection be updated, too? I like that the individual animal meats have returned, I liked having that in the older builds of the Vanilla game.

1.1 will drop when it's ready, after I have made fixes in devbranch based on feedback I get here in the forums :) I am working on it bit by bit, day by day, outside of my usual fulltime job and youtube commitments :)

And when 1.1 is out I will update it - I see no point just yet since things change a little bit each time.

- - - Updated - - -

I started a new game last night. Is workbench perk really supposed to be level 60?

Indeed - if you think about it, the workbench is actually quite a powerful station, since it allows you a secondary crafting queue and to combine items to get higher quality ones. However you are still able to go and find one, as they do spawn in the world. Whether they are working or not depends on luck :)

The older version had steep cliffs as well and I liked it a lot, it made for very beautiful terrain. I feel it has become more extreme, but I found an even better seed now, random. If you have any seed name suggestions, that would be awesome though, because what I don't like is to know most of the map before I start playing because I flew up to check if the terrain is fine lol.

I used random numbers as seeds... Things like TestGen1, TestGen2, etc were my basic choices when making random maps. I think the map will have good spots and not so good spots as well, so you may see in your current world the same things you saw in your world where there was lots of lakes and things :)

This really is a bit problematic, especially if the survivalist and camel skills combined with some class bonus make it even harder. But fortunately the player does have some ways to counter this, specifically steroids and painkillers (though I'm not sure if anything about this recently changed, because it was discussion topic before). It also helps, if you're using only meat/grain/fruit food, as dairy and vegetables both can be kept up really easy by drinking soya milk. If you already have enough wellness, there's really not much point in eating "good" foods, because you can keep up the buffs a lot easier, if you just stuff your face with raw blueberries and corn.

I will have to have a look into this a bit more. I can try to increase the amount given for the better foods a bit and see if that helps, and maybe balance them for recipe costs as well. Food does need a bit of work still as it's a very early prototype of the wellness system changes, but even Vanilla has the problem of recipes not matching in fullness to what it takes to make the food you use. I think if I can get that balanced out, that would better help you use whatever food you wanted for the buffs to raise wellness up.

The other problem is that the fullness on paper and the fullness you get in game are actually different - since +1 fullness sometimes ends up being +2 which makes things harder to balance.

Maybe best thing is to make it so that fullness works by simply adding fullness and hydration values of base foods / base cooked foods. So if one egg gives you +3 and one meat gives you +5, a bacon and eggs should give you +11 since it uses 2 eggs and one meat in the recipe.

Then I can do the same with the gains, but scaled down a bit. So if one meat gives you +5, it gives you a +2 to your Meats levels. Eggs kinda fall under meats as well, so 1 egg would give you +1 each. So a bacon and eggs would give you a +4 to your meats overall. Something like that.

The other thing I could do is increase the maximum level of the food variables. Currently you start at 0 and it works like this:

Between -50 and -40: Debuff for that food type

Between -40 and +40: No change

Between +40 and +50: Buff for that food type.

Maybe I could increase the maximum to +100 and have the buff apply when you are over 60, so you initially have to make more effort to get it, but later on you have a larger buffer. I could also tweak fullness and hydration to not have a 'saturating' effect, as if you are at 99% fullness and eat a meat stew, you'll be at 100% for a good while. So capping the saturation to say +110 may help a little bit.

Alternatively I could make it so that between -50 and 0 the tickrate of the metabolizing buff (that makes the counter drop) is about 1/3 or 1/4, so you don't get the debuffs as quickly and it's easier to avoid. This is also very possible :D

I could also allow you to craft supplements, which would increase by say +10 to a food type. Like a vitamin, almost, but it could be a 'protein supplement' for example to give you +10 to meats - or just vitamins A B C D E for simplicity sake. These wouldn't require hunger to use but having too many could cause an overdosed debuff, so should be used in a pinch.

I think it's fine to make the buffs harder to get. It's a good incentive to take classes like culinary, farmer, and hunter to really get the most out of food. But you shouldn't have to worry about the debuffs unless you're really neglecting a foodgroup. I'd probably do something like:

Between -50 and -48: Debuff for that food type

Between -48 and +80: No change

Between +80 and +100: Buff for that food type.

So you really have to work for the buffs, but can escape the debuffs with minimal effort as long as you actually have foods on hand.

(And maybe the tasty food from culinary could give you a hidden buff that slows the decay rate?)

1.1 will drop when it's ready, after I have made fixes in devbranch based on feedback I get here in the forums :) I am working on it bit by bit, day by day, outside of my usual fulltime job and youtube commitments :)

And when 1.1 is out I will update it - I see no point just yet since things change a little bit each time.

Appreciate the info, thanks for that.

DevBranch Updated!

It's here, enjoy, start a new world, enjoy the secrets...

I appreciate the updates!

Query: What changes are there in the last one? Because I did not understand well.

Thank you very much for the interface! :)

mdf25 .. Good day

Well, I tried DevBranch .. I spawned twice in the bottom of a valley .. surround by super high mountains that I barely got out of and 1st time _ then died .. I think the safe timer ran out. But on the second try I did make it to a town really near by and died as I was going into a Overly spawned house 12 z's is a bit much .. or maybe it was just a bad load.

I don't mind the line of sight .. but spawn rate needs adjustment. … the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

mdf25 .. Good day

Well, I tried DevBranch .. I spawned twice in the bottom of a valley .. surround by super high mountains that I barely got out of and 1st time _ then died .. I think the safe timer ran out. But on the second try I did make it to a town really near by and died as I was going into a Overly spawned house 12 z's is a bit much .. or maybe it was just a bad load.

I don't mind the line of sight .. but spawn rate needs adjustment. … the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

Greetings :D

Glad you had a go on Dev, yup sometimes you will spawn along some mountains or in a valley. Best thing to do is get out of there ASAP after you get your axe, club and some arrows. I think you got zombies as you moved outside of the safe area before the timer ticked over as you were trying to get out of the valley.

Spawn rate has been increased a bit to allow for faster level up by zombie killing. Prefabs generally contain more zombies now, though I think the 12 may be a rare exception to the spawning. It is a lot harder to sneak up on the sleepers now since they hear you a lot more readily, but it's still possible. I'll have a look at reducing it slightly for smaller POIs :)

I started a new game and tried out the rifles class. I expected that would unlock the skill Rifles: Rifle Damage, which didn't happen. Is that a bug or a misunderstanding how this skill is supposed to be unlocked?

Thanks for the added display of temperature and hunger/thirst. This is very convenient.

I started a new game and tried out the rifles class. I expected that would unlock the skill Rifles: Rifle Damage, which didn't happen. Is that a bug or a misunderstanding how this skill is supposed to be unlocked?

Thanks for the added display of temperature and hunger/thirst. This is very convenient.

It will .. but not right at the start .. you work your way into it ……. THE "3" I always use are .. Ranger - Hunter and Rifle .. gives me a good balance of good things … But it also depends on your play style.

Possibly a bug there - I shall have a look :)

- - - Updated - - -

I may of missed it but how do you make the forged uranium item ? I cant seem to find where to craft in in anything

You need the laser smelter to unlock it - though it has no real uses at the moment so don't worry about it for now :)

"Forge & Firepit

The forge is now locked behind a perk and you will not be able to craft one until you reach player level 30 and learn the Forging 101 schematic (or purchase the perk if you've been unlucky and not found the book by this time). Upon learning the forging recipe you will be able to craft all of the pig iron tools by smelting up iron. When you reach player level 50, the forged iron will open up to you and steel will open up at level 100, as well as trussing, rebar and other stuff you make in the forge at various levels. If you happen to find a forge earlier on in the game, you'll be able to use it only to smelt copper for less or turn raw iron into scrap iron, but that's literally all you'd be able to do until level 30 hits. So still worth finding until you level up enough from looting and zombie killing, as its efficiency over the firepit should be worth it."

Hi, mdf25 ! My player reach level 30 and craft the forge without reading book "Forge ahead". And now I can craft forged iron. I thinked my player can craft pig iron untill reach level 50. It's normal ?

I run mod from 7D2D Mod Launcher, FennecMod DevBranch.

P.S. Cool mod. :smile-new:

"Forge & Firepit

Hi, mdf25! My player reach level 30 and craft the forge without reading book "Forge ahead". And now I can craft forged iron. I thinked my player can craft pig iron untill reach level 50. It's normal ?

I run mod from 7D2D Mod Launcher, FennecMod DevBranch.

P.S. Cool mod. :smile-new:

Greetings :D

Forge should now be behind level 20 rather than level 30, and iron tools now behind level 35 instead of 50. This will speed up progression a little bit until you get the steel tools. I decided to reduce the amount of levels a little bit, just to help out a tad. Really glad you're liking the mod so far :D

love the mod BUT.

love the mod but... i love to be sneaky in games.. i like to be able to crouch and walk close to them... in this mod. its imposible they will see you, hear you from 100000000000000000000 light years away.

i find that super annoying. its not even about difficulty its.. just annoying. there should be a point that you can actually hide from them. i go to a harder area and then 3-6 feral zombies run to me.. and sometimes they are so far away i dont even see them when they start to run to get me. ITS NOT FUN.

i dont wan to end up playing this as a pvp server... with a freaking tower and tunnels to move around. i want it to feel like a survival.. not like NSA is tracking my every move sending agents to get me lol :crushed:

love the mod but... i love to be sneaky in games.. i like to be able to crouch and walk close to them... in this mod. its imposible they will see you, hear you from 100000000000000000000 light years away.

i find that super annoying. its not even about difficulty its.. just annoying. there should be a point that you can actually hide from them. i go to a harder area and then 3-6 feral zombies run to me.. and sometimes they are so far away i dont even see them when they start to run to get me. ITS NOT FUN.

i dont wan to end up playing this as a pvp server... with a freaking tower and tunnels to move around. i want it to feel like a survival.. not like NSA is tracking my every move sending agents to get me lol :crushed:

Agreed .. It does get to be to much after awhile .. AND then just becomes No more fun .. just a pain in the Butt.

Sorry .. Just had to be honest about it any more .. the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

I have been thinking to change sight range on the zombies - currently it is possible to sneak at night (I have been able to do it) but you need to have night vision or no light. If you go about at night shining a mining helmet they will see you from far away and gravitate towards where you are.

I was however thinking of changing zombie senses a little bit so that regular zombies have about half the range of sight as feral zombies do, but the cone of vision on ferals could also be altered to be narrower. Currently all zombies have a sight range of 100 blocks, however for regulars I could nerf it down a little to 50 or 60 instead which would mean you could hide from them. I assume you're in dev branch?

If you went to a harder area, expect ferals. Wasteland will have all ferals during the day but that's on the edge of the map only in the dev one. The snow biome may also have wights at night, so watch for those.

Alternatively there's a way to add a specific type of feral zombie with a shorter sight range and have those on the base spawn lists for night time spawns. Currently they come out at night even in a safer area.

I have been thinking to change sight range on the zombies - currently it is possible to sneak at night (I have been able to do it) but you need to have night vision or no light. If you go about at night shining a mining helmet they will see you from far away and gravitate towards where you are.

I was however thinking of changing zombie senses a little bit so that regular zombies have about half the range of sight as feral zombies do, but the cone of vision on ferals could also be altered to be narrower. Currently all zombies have a sight range of 100 blocks, however for regulars I could nerf it down a little to 50 or 60 instead which would mean you could hide from them. I assume you're in dev branch?

If you went to a harder area, expect ferals. Wasteland will have all ferals during the day but that's on the edge of the map only in the dev one. The snow biome may also have wights at night, so watch for those.

Alternatively there's a way to add a specific type of feral zombie with a shorter sight range and have those on the base spawn lists for night time spawns. Currently they come out at night even in a safer area.

Here's an idea. Don't know if it can help with the sensing issue.

If it's possible, it would be interesting to have zombies spawn/travel in small packs of 2-8. Maybe with dogs out front or even a feral with them. Similar to how the zeds group in the walking dead. Then you could limit their senses and vision to normal, but still keep the heightened challenge of the mod pack.

The danger here would be IF they sense you, dogs, or a runner would lead the pack after you. That way you keep the ability to sneak but the danger of getting sensed is increased.

Here's an idea. Don't know if it can help with the sensing issue.

If it's possible, it would be interesting to have zombies spawn/travel in small packs of 2-8. Maybe with dogs out front or even a feral with them. Similar to how the zeds group in the walking dead. Then you could limit their senses and vision to normal, but still keep the heightened challenge of the mod pack.

The danger here would be IF they sense you, dogs, or a runner would lead the pack after you. That way you keep the ability to sneak but the danger of getting sensed is increased.

I think this is sort of possible and sort of not. It would essentially rely on the wandering horde mechanic of the game but I think you'd need to decrease the amount of time that there is between wandering hordes of zombies and then have them in small, frequent groups coming along the map together. Since A16 though you can't make one sensor zed home in all the rest of them on you, unlike back in A15 where one would sense you and all others would come around to see what was going on as well.

The other problem is that wandering hordes like to path through things rather than around things - so if you had 3 hordes come through in a day you'd probably get more base destruction than just regular sensing ones.

I think one major thing I would need to do would be to create separate sleeper and non sleeper entity variants for the zeds - currently the increases sense range causes sleepers to wake up too early, so maybe cloning all of them and using non sleeper ones for overworld spawns would work better in that regard :)

DevBranch Update!

Get your update from the launcher now - available for download. World restart not required from previous devbranch but recommended.

I have made some changes which addresses some of the issues you guys were having with FennecMod from previous devbranch versions, especially to do with food and zombies in particular. I also think I got the poncho bug sorted once and for all but I can't say for sure why my previous patch didn't work. So, reverting seems to be the best thing.

If all goes well this will most likely be the last or second-last devbranch variant and then I will push this into the 1.1 stable branch. The last thing I have to do is look at the biome and random gen a little more to hopefully make that better for some (or even just revert back to Vanilla generation) and normalise the biomes for dirt and stone layers. Also, translations will be added to localisation files as well, since Katlima helped add the German translations into the game for me as well as some new bullet textures! :)

If there's anything unbalanced, working badly or any nullrefs you experience please send output logs and how I can reproduce and I'll look at fixing up before 1.1 - but this will be pretty much it for new content on 1.1 now.

Food groups: Tweaks to the system

- Food groups counter variable changed: The counter now goes from -50 to +100 instead of -50 to +50.

- Food group debuff applied at -48 instead of -40 so it should be easier to get out of that zone if you get debuffed.

- Food group buff applied at +80 instead of +40. It will take a while to get to it now but it should hold up better overall.

- Food gives more points into its respective group for the better foods now. Not too much, but it should help a lot.

- Food group counter goes down slower overall, about 2x slower now when you're above 0 in the group stat.

- Food group counter goes down even slower when you are below 0 in a group stat, so about 3x slower than normal.

Zombies

- All of the zombies are now split into 2 groups - sleeper and non-sleeper variants.

- Zombie sight range for sleeper variants reduced to 30 from 100. They should no longer wake up so easily when you're nearby a building making it much easier to sneak around inside again.

- Zombie sight range for non sleepers tweaked. Regular zeds now see you at 70 blocks (down from 100) and ferals see you at 80 blocks. Radiated at 120 blocks. The feral wight sees you at 100 blocks.

Bug fixes

- Poncho issue patched now. It has been removed from loot and the repair material reverted back to leather. It still takes hides to craft and scraps into hides, but for some reason repairing with hides was causing the many nullrefs.

- The water filter quest that asked for bottled murky water actually required bottled boiled water, so this has been changed in the quest.

Known issues (to fix for 1.1)

- Potato crop only gives 1 plant when harvested on fertile ground.

- Clay bowl has no loot group or crafting recipe.

- Corn almost never shows up anywhere - increase density slightly.

- Desert has sandstone layers to bedrock instead of stone lower down.

- Snow has too many snow layers before getting to stone - need dirt instead.

- Wasteland has too many destroyed stone layers before getting to stone - need dirt instead.

And lastly...

I just wanted to apologise for not having these updates come out as quickly as I would have liked. I'm not currently going through the best times at the moment, after the loss of communication and closeness with 2 people I care about very much - they were my whole influence for trying to make this mod in the first place and now they're both gone... And not only that but I'm thinking my move to Twitch might not have been the best idea in the world since things are slowly going downhill too (and much of this is the root of the above). But, I'm just trying to hold it together, stay motivated and get through the bad times at the moment, and hope I come out the other side stronger.

Thank you for your work, and I'm really sorry to hear that things are rough in your personal life.

I haven't had time to do a proper playthrough, but here's some initial feedback:

- It feels like sleeper zombies maintain that lower sight range even after waking up. Breaking line of sight seems to be all it takes for them to ignore you even in confined areas.

- I don't know if you changed vultures at all, or if this is just a result of reduced stamina, but I had one chase me across 3 biomes without being able to break aggro.

- Barter capping out at x3 value instead of x4 feels much fairer.

- I still think building and mining playstyles are hampered disproportionately by the strict level gating. I know people who play this game primarily to mine and build cool bases and I can't recommend this mod to them because they'd just be stuck toiling away with level 10 tools for far longer than is reasonable. I understand you want to curtail sequence breaking, but there should be alternative ways to progress besides zombie killing. I've already suggested allowing some classes to unlock crafting stations early via their quests, but you could also try something as simple as gating tool quality behind mining skill instead of level (and perhaps raising the costs so that if people try to beeline for quality 600 they'll be giving up a lot in other areas).

- It feels like sleeper zombies maintain that lower sight range even after waking up. Breaking line of sight seems to be all it takes for them to ignore you even in confined areas.

Unfortunately that's all I can do - zombies that have a shorter sight range suck at seeing you in the dark but if I had the sight range of sleepers set the same as regular zeds they wake up much earlier on. You could roleplay it and say they are still sleepy so lose track of you easily. I hope maybe in A17 you can specify 2 different sight ranges for when a zombie is asleep and when awake to allow for one entity triggering rather than making 2, but it's the best I could do to stop a whole tower waking up on you as soon as you got to the upper floor :)

- I don't know if you changed vultures at all, or if this is just a result of reduced stamina, but I had one chase me across 3 biomes without being able to break aggro.

Vultures are unchanged - they are usually little buggers once they lock on to you, best thing is to wait and kill them with a club or arrows if you can (you'll make up the feathers too)

- Barter capping out at x3 value instead of x4 feels much fairer.

Glad it's working out a little better for you there :)

- I still think building and mining playstyles are hampered disproportionately by the strict level gating. I know people who play this game primarily to mine and build cool bases and I can't recommend this mod to them because they'd just be stuck toiling away with level 10 tools for far longer than is reasonable. I understand you want to curtail sequence breaking, but there should be alternative ways to progress besides zombie killing. I've already suggested allowing some classes to unlock crafting stations early via their quests, but you could also try something as simple as gating tool quality behind mining skill instead of level (and perhaps raising the costs so that if people try to beeline for quality 600 they'll be giving up a lot in other areas).

This one I have to think about a bit since it's not currently possible to specify 'OR' gates on skills, only 'AND' gates, unless you make class only perks that are given in addition to those that are already there. For example if I could, I would have it so that the forge could be Mining Tools 40 OR Player level 20, or iron tool crafting be Mining Tools 50 OR Tool Smithing 3, but if I try and specify both conditions, it will expect both of these conditions to be met instead rather than 'either or', making it quite hard to balance for both styles of play.

One thing I think I will have to do is give each class their own set of starting items to help be able to roleplay it better. But, they would have to be independent, non-craftable tools so that they could be repaired without need of a skill, which I think would solve issues that people who like to mine a lot would face early on. So, for example, miner class could start with a rusty iron pickaxe and shovel, which would be repairable with scrap iron but only have 2/3 the durability of a regular iron pickaxe. Then carpenter could get a rusty axe and some logs, farmer gets a rusty hoe (heh) and some random seeds, and each gun class gets an 'old' variant of their chosen firearm with some low tier ammo and a repair kit. Armour class gets worn down armour, scientist gets extra medical items at the start, athlete gets extra bottled water and steroids... Trader gets some starting coins and old cash. Slash and Bash get an old knife and club respectively, hunter gets some spike and barbed wire traps. Builder gets an old hammer and some concrete mix. Mechanic gets a wrench, plunderer gets some random food items. Researcher gets 3 random schematics.

Fennec is designed to reward you for looting though so builders early on can still get concrete and rebar in working stiffs from a loot run. Miners can still mine though it will be better for them to find or buy a good factory grade tool first of all if they want to go this route. Mining XP had to be turned down though due to the sheer auger imbalance - you can power level with it. I guess you could say Fennec not being good for mining and building is just like mod X not being good for purpose Y because Z. It's just a different flavour of the game so although I'd love it to be good at some things, it may not be possible to do so without breaking other areas.

In terms of the tool quality stuff however I have been thinking about how I can further divide this up a little more. What I was thinking is to have your regular tool smithing / weapon smithing perks, but then have a separate 100 level skill that goes alongside it and have both run in parallel.

At the start, your tool smithing and weapon smithing etc start at quality 10 as normal. The 100 level skill will get you up to 200 extra quality (so capping this out without spending points will get you to quality 210) and instead of having 500 quality for the smithing perks at level 10, you have up to 300, capping you out at 500 quality level at the end of it all after both are maximised out.

The only issue is I don't know if this will play nice with workbenches since they may use the 'base' value quality you make rather than the 'add' value, so you may only be able to combine up to quality 400 using this method. But that remains to be tested and seen :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi MDF,

Great mod so far but I have a question, I am supposed to make charcoal but it requires wood logs to make charcoal. But I can't make wood logs. Is there supposed to be another source for wood logs?

Chop down the trees and you should get some logs. You need to chop them completely so they fall and you should get between 6 and 20 depending on the size of the tree :)

Fennec is designed to reward you for looting though so builders early on can still get concrete and rebar in working stiffs from a loot run. Miners can still mine though it will be better for them to find or buy a good factory grade tool first of all if they want to go this route. Mining XP had to be turned down though due to the sheer auger imbalance - you can power level with it. I guess you could say Fennec not being good for mining and building is just like mod X not being good for purpose Y because Z. It's just a different flavour of the game so although I'd love it to be good at some things, it may not be possible to do so without breaking other areas.

That's fair enough in principle, but you're already got systems like the food buffs and support classes that pull players away from a pure looting playstyle. And the rewards for picking something like miner are there in the lategame, they just don't have a way to get there.

The issue here is really the level gating. Miners don't have a good way to level up (which is fine, I agree that strip mining deserts for levels gets a bit silly in other mods) but are heavily reliant on levels to get better tools. You need level 30 just to catch up to where you'd be on day 1 of vanilla, and at level 100 you're only barely ahead of what a plunderer or trader can find in their first couple of days. By the time you hit level 180 and can craft the good stuff it'll already be obsolete in favour of augers and factory tools.

How about lowering/removing the level requirements and just massively upping the point costs on tool and weapon smithing? It still takes a while to acquire the points, and there's a huge opportunity cost for sinking them all into one skill, but the option is there for people who want it.

Archived