Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Here's how I tested it. I think I did this in A17.

Go clear out a POI and sit on the roof.

Wait until like... 5 mins before night hits. Open the console, type killall. That clears out all zombies around you.

When night hits, watch all the zombies spawn and just run straight towards you.

I am unsure if this has been brought up before but seeing the progress towards the next update made me think back to my last DF game I played, I noticed once you got to the top level of crafting from the mastery book perks you would craft gear that you then could not repair properly without losing levels from them and this felt like it sort of defeated the purpose of being able to craft gear at that level, Will we see a change to the repair system or even a different repair item that lets you repair those items without losing levels?

13 minutes ago, sanguis4k said:

I am unsure if this has been brought up before but seeing the progress towards the next update made me think back to my last DF game I played, I noticed once you got to the top level of crafting from the mastery book perks you would craft gear that you then could not repair properly without losing levels from them and this felt like it sort of defeated the purpose of being able to craft gear at that level, Will we see a change to the repair system or even a different repair item that lets you repair those items without losing levels?

At the moment the solution is pretty easy. Don't copy the QualityDegradationOnRepair folder with the rest in to your Mod folder. 

5 hours ago, sanguis4k said:

Nope

4 hours ago, Marinxar said:

At the moment the solution is pretty easy. Don't copy the QualityDegradationOnRepair folder with the rest in to your Mod folder. 

*ahem*

- Updated DarknessFalls-Core to move the QualityDeg and Trader Protection patches into the main DLL.

Get rekt. 😛

Hi KhaineGB,

First of all, love your work.

I am getting a weird behaviour when running on a server, running b30 by the way.  The scout quests are like 3km away, but when I go local, they are just fine, a few 100m away.

I searched this thread to see if anyone else had this happen before and didn't get any hits

Also, how do I reduce the random wondering hoards, trying to clear a tier 2 POI with 50ish zombies joining in is hard on difficulty 4, never died so many times (still fun!)

Thanks

10 hours ago, Schmiddi said:

do i have to install allocs server fixes to run it on a server(windows)?

Nope. You CAN if you want to, but it's not needed.

4 hours ago, TribalDragon said:

Hi KhaineGB,

First of all, love your work.

I am getting a weird behaviour when running on a server, running b30 by the way.  The scout quests are like 3km away, but when I go local, they are just fine, a few 100m away.

I searched this thread to see if anyone else had this happen before and didn't get any hits

Also, how do I reduce the random wondering hoards, trying to clear a tier 2 POI with 50ish zombies joining in is hard on difficulty 4, never died so many times (still fun!)

Thanks

Not a lot I can do about the scout if it's doing that. I'm getting them 300-500m.

Do you have the wandering horde mod installed or not? Because if so , I'm pretty sure I lowered the hordes to 40-ish max already. The PROBLEM is that city spawns are larger, so those zombies will join in.

2 hours ago, Kacsee said:

Hello Khaine, I am running b30 a20 and while using the shopping cart buggy my character grows in size... not sure if that is a vanilla thing or not. Thanks for all your hard work! 

Known and planned for removal. Muscle car has the alternate problem (player shrinks)

Top of the morning to yah, gov'

So I am playing B30 on A20, and made it to day 7. Then just before horde night, I got what I now affectionately refer to as a Screamer chain.  Got a screamer, and she called screamers, and it was a party. Now normally I dont mind the XP, but this was right before horde night, and it was endless. I just quit at some point, as all I could see is more zombies coming from all directions and screamers shouting everywhere. and there is no way my base will end up having enough ammo for all that love.

Is that a vanilla issue, or is it possible to change that so it's not perpetual carnage ?

Edited by Marinxar (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Marinxar said:

Top of the morning to yah, gov'

So I am playing B30 on A20, and made it to day 7. Then just before horde night, I got what I now affectionately refer to as a Screamer chain.  Got a screamer, and she called screamers, and it was a party. Now normally I dont mind the XP, but this was right before horde night, and it was endless. I just quit at some point, as all I could see is more zombies coming from all directions and screamers shouting everywhere. and there is no way my base will end up having enough ammo for all that love.

Is that a vanilla issue, or is it possible to change that so it's not perpetual carnage ?

I can say for certain this is something introduced in vanilla, as back in A18 I was having the same problem a few times. I had a POI collapse when I was searching it, which called in a screamer, and it started a domino effect of each screamer calling in 2 to 3 more screamers. I was there fighting for at least 20 minutes before I managed to get that under control.

5 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

I think a more pertenent question is...

What the hell were you doing to generate that much heat? 😛

3 hours ago, Chivalric said:

I can say for certain this is something introduced in vanilla, as back in A18 I was having the same problem a few times. I had a POI collapse when I was searching it, which called in a screamer, and it started a domino effect of each screamer calling in 2 to 3 more screamers. I was there fighting for at least 20 minutes before I managed to get that under control.

Yeah... Not so sure what I done, haha

Since I am waiting for the stable release of DF, before I start making any serious long duration game plans, I just boosted the normal gameplay. So I was around 50 game stage. I did dig a moat ... so that obviously generated some heat, and had one forge running. That alone should not have warranted that response, I think...

I mean, this was full on end-game apocalypse rather shoot your own brains out than try and face this, Screamer chain.... Zombie bears, radiated cops, feral mutants..... it literally looked like a  64 zombie horde night on day 49 with 200 GS .  That's why I thought it was a little odd. It's not the normal, alright, so we got ourselves 6 or 7 zombies with this screamers...., no this was all 75 max zombies the whole time. You kill zombies in the kill zone, and as you kill them you see the new ones spawning in on the horizon. 

Edited by Marinxar (see edit history)

thanks for the answer and great work khaine!

i have another question (server): do i have to set the path to the modfolder with the world in it? or, if the serverprovider do not allow me that, can i move the df-test map to the standard world folder?

2 hours ago, Marinxar said:

Yeah... Not so sure what I done, haha

Since I am waiting for the stable release of DF, before I start making any serious long duration game plans, I just boosted the normal gameplay. So I was around 50 game stage. I did dig a moat ... so that obviously generated some heat, and had one forge running. That alone should not have warranted that response, I think...

I mean, this was full on end-game apocalypse rather shoot your own brains out than try and face this, Screamer chain.... Zombie bears, radiated cops, feral mutants..... it literally looked like a  64 zombie horde night on day 49 with 200 GS .  That's why I thought it was a little odd. It's not the normal, alright, so we got ourselves 6 or 7 zombies with this screamers...., no this was all 75 max zombies the whole time. You kill zombies in the kill zone, and as you kill them you see the new ones spawning in on the horizon. 

If you're doing a lot of fast digging, that adds to heat, and then the campfire will too.

And then if you keep firing guns, that'll continue to add to the heat, so you'll get more screamers. That's why I go a chunk or two over and drag things towards me and start killing there so I don't add to the heat in the chunk I was in, which stops screamer chains.

37 minutes ago, Schmiddi said:

thanks for the answer and great work khaine!

i have another question (server): do i have to set the path to the modfolder with the world in it? or, if the serverprovider do not allow me that, can i move the df-test map to the standard world folder?

It should work fine, but yes, you can move them if you need to.

6 hours ago, Chivalric said:

POI collapse

That'll do it. A lot of block destruction in a short amount of time will tick the heat counter over several times. For a test, cm yourself in the dev super digger and shoot out the ground floor of any skyscraper (or dynamite if you've got the time) - you will have screamers for days. Even just knocking the crane out on the building site will spawn in a few rounds of screamers.

7 hours ago, BarryTGash said:

That'll do it. A lot of block destruction in a short amount of time will tick the heat counter over several times. For a test, cm yourself in the dev super digger and shoot out the ground floor of any skyscraper (or dynamite if you've got the time) - you will have screamers for days. Even just knocking the crane out on the building site will spawn in a few rounds of screamers.

I'm aware, but we're not talking something like a skyscraper. This was one of those boat POI's. Tiny. It only called in 1 screamer, as I have the heat level on screen at all times, it was simply an unlucky cascade of screamers calling in other screamers.

20220107152421_1.thumb.jpg.6ae779db72cb35ecb9cd1a19fbd664b8.jpg20220107152454_1.thumb.jpg.c59308d29c360ec6a70c90080354880e.jpg20220107152508_1.thumb.jpg.68d64590b3bde79bd1c78dfdc6f8451d.jpg

Searchable tree in the first one, haven't seen that before, except for stumps in older alphas. Second and third are of the Bunker POI raised off the ground, never seen that in vanilla or DF before.

Edited by Chivalric (see edit history)

I am also experiencing the massive horde spawning problem. I am playing A20 b238 with V4-Dev-B30 version of DF downloaded from the link you provided a few days ago. I am in the starting town at early afternoon on Day 8 and this huge horde spawns. I think it was at or close to the 75 zombie spawn limit that I had on first page of the general settings. I am playing survivalist difficulty and was doing only melee damage inside a building. Zombies starting making a lot of sound and coming down the hallway. I ran outside and there was just a wall of them surrounding me. Death followed before I could get a count but it was a lot more zombies than I have ever seen in one place before.

Unlike vanilla there is no choices in my settings for wandering horde frequency or size.

Suggestions?

9 hours ago, Chivalric said:

I'm aware, but we're not talking something like a skyscraper. This was one of those boat POI's. Tiny. It only called in 1 screamer, as I have the heat level on screen at all times, it was simply an unlucky cascade of screamers calling in other screamers.

20220107152421_1.thumb.jpg.6ae779db72cb35ecb9cd1a19fbd664b8.jpg20220107152454_1.thumb.jpg.c59308d29c360ec6a70c90080354880e.jpg20220107152508_1.thumb.jpg.68d64590b3bde79bd1c78dfdc6f8451d.jpg

Searchable tree in the first one, haven't seen that before, except for stumps in older alphas. Second and third are of the Bunker POI raised off the ground, never seen that in vanilla or DF before.

I've seen the tree before in A19. It's when a tree spawns on top of a lootable container, like a purse or birds nest.

Second one I probably just placed it wrong.

1 hour ago, Akrux said:

I am also experiencing the massive horde spawning problem. I am playing A20 b238 with V4-Dev-B30 version of DF downloaded from the link you provided a few days ago. I am in the starting town at early afternoon on Day 8 and this huge horde spawns. I think it was at or close to the 75 zombie spawn limit that I had on first page of the general settings. I am playing survivalist difficulty and was doing only melee damage inside a building. Zombies starting making a lot of sound and coming down the hallway. I ran outside and there was just a wall of them surrounding me. Death followed before I could get a count but it was a lot more zombies than I have ever seen in one place before.

Unlike vanilla there is no choices in my settings for wandering horde frequency or size.

Suggestions?

I'll check later but the wandering horde is definitely set to a max of about 40 zombies. I'd make sure you don't have the wandering horde modlet installed.

22 minutes ago, Akrux said:

It sure seemed like a lot more wandering zombies than 40. No modlets installed just the base game mod unzipped and installed. Do you think if I installed the modlet in my ongoing game I could control the horde size?

You probably had biome-spawned zombies walking over too, because they will if you're in a POI.

4 minutes ago, wiisper said:

The White River Scout at Trader Rekt doesn't give me quests. Any ideas?

Get quests from her OR rekt. Fixed locally. Same with Joel's POI.