Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

14 hours ago, Falaffel said:

The latest version 4.1.2 hardly increases loading time, as Khaine did some compression magic. 7d2d in general can stutter on bigger maps, so you could use a smaller map and your potato friend should nerf the graphic options. I had fun with 8Kmaps on a 10 yo Notebook with dedicated graphics (some mobile Nvidia-chip from 2012) and 16 gb RAM, even on multi. And he may be able to google tweaks for 7d2d on old machines (eg increase virtual memory - may slow down a bit, but still have fun!)

Thanks a bunch for the response. I am sure we will.

The baby boars are insane. It really needs a pen setup to limit spawn rate and location. As it is you will overrun a server in no time. This is just a few hours of play. Every 5 minutes I had some at the door. if you leave them too long then they spawn inside the base. Nice thing is after 2 days I now have about 20k meat.image.thumb.jpeg.b1e2405f3351ea74e50bc33f23aa08cd.jpeg

Does anyone know how to change the max zombie count and the like? I am assuming it is in an xml file somewhere?
I am assuming Zed count is another big part in possible lag for the game (on the potatoe of my friend) besides the map size and so I wanna play around with it a bit without having to start an entirely playthrough with my friends anytime.

Lol. I decided to try some pig farming yesterday as well in V1.1.2. Two consecutive boar kills dropped the breeding stock for me.

The enclosure was about 7x7 by 4 blocks high made of wooden blocks.  Later put wooden bars over the top, thinking that would keep the piggies from jumping on one another and climbing out to greet me. Hah! Some would still spawn outside the pen's walls. Good thing they're not very aggressive.

I can hear their grunts and squeals from my base. Reminds me of one of the Hannibal Lecter films....anyways, I'll stock up on meat then cull the entire herd. 

Also, I find that the yield from chicken coops and bee hives has been reduced? Seems they were much more generous in V4.1.1 (using the same game settings). More of a struggle now (probably intended). Forces one to plant an apple or banana orchard sooner to feed those thankless yard birds who, for me, give at best 1.5 eggs per coop per day. I have 8 coops now, will have to up that to at least 12. 

I know that raising livestock is still an unfinished project in the game. It does have its comical aspects though. Might try it with those evil cows later.

4 hours ago, michimatsch said:

Does anyone know how to change the max zombie count and the like? I am assuming it is in an xml file somewhere?
I am assuming Zed count is another big part in possible lag for the game (on the potatoe of my friend) besides the map size and so I wanna play around with it a bit without having to start an entirely playthrough with my friends anytime.

There is an xml in the game/server folder.

2 hours ago, Melange said:

Lol. I decided to try some pig farming yesterday as well in V1.1.2. Two consecutive boar kills dropped the breeding stock for me.

The enclosure was about 7x7 by 4 blocks high made of wooden blocks.  Later put wooden bars over the top, thinking that would keep the piggies from jumping on one another and climbing out to greet me. Hah! Some would still spawn outside the pen's walls. Good thing they're not very aggressive.

I can hear their grunts and squeals from my base. Reminds me of one of the Hannibal Lecter films....anyways, I'll stock up on meat then cull the entire herd. 

Also, I find that the yield from chicken coops and bee hives has been reduced? Seems they were much more generous in V4.1.1 (using the same game settings). More of a struggle now (probably intended). Forces one to plant an apple or banana orchard sooner to feed those thankless yard birds who, for me, give at best 1.5 eggs per coop per day. I have 8 coops now, will have to up that to at least 12. 

I know that raising livestock is still an unfinished project in the game. It does have its comical aspects though. Might try it with those evil cows later.

It could be used as an evil prank atm, drop a couple pigs on someone's roof and watch the mayhem ensue. The problem is they spawn at a radius from the parent. The ones standing next to the fence will spawn them outside the fence.  I was standing 2 rooms inside my base and had one spawn at mt feet. The only way I can think of to contain them would be a massively large and deep pit with tapered walls that went outside the spawn range so they would slide back to the bottom.  Yeah, the drops from the coop and hive seem a bit low, it has definitely been adjusted.

41 minutes ago, Melange said:

Hmm. That boar spawn radius must be kinda bugged. I was looting a POI that was 95m from the nearest (known) boar and I had one appear at my feet, looking at me like "Hey, what ya doing?". Good times, and in the pantry he goes!

Probably just a random animal spawn, not related to the husbandry boars. If it was a pair of those you would have dozens beside you. One way to tell is, does it eat you? The real boars do damage, these don't, they just annoy you by being at your feet.

im trying to turn off the HP-bars and i think i found the correct line in the config:

<property class="AdvancedUI">

<property name="ShowTargetHealthBar" value="false" />

but i still see the HP-bars ....
am i doing something wrong ?

or is this not the part for disabeling them ?

On 3/11/2023 at 11:09 AM, Brevan said:

you use an upgrade tool to upgrade the storage box while the Broadcast item is in on your character.  As mentioned, the new broadcast crates have a switch in their upper left corner to actually start broadcasting.

Thanks for that. The term 'upgrade' for me meant hey, this is an upgrade for a specific container. It did not cross my mind to use my nail gun to install it.  Damn, another COIK - clear only if known. I agree, a tad more explanation in the Journal (some of us do read it) would be helpful.

Edit: Wow, its a nice feature!

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

Can't see any posts mentioning bandages since the 4.12 patch notes so I though I'd let you know that the bandages aren't stacking healing because the operation for the healing value is "set" instead of "add", this likely means that you could lose healing if you use aloe cream after a trauma or med kit.

2 hours ago, Daovala said:

Can't see any posts mentioning bandages since the 4.12 patch notes so I though I'd let you know that the bandages aren't stacking healing because the operation for the healing value is "set" instead of "add", this likely means that you could lose healing if you use aloe cream after a trauma or med kit.

*ahem*

- Bandages no longer stack healing because apparently the game is @%$#ing stupid and can't do simple math.

So yes, it WAS in the patch notes. In fact it's the second-last onne.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

On 3/25/2023 at 9:39 PM, Markan said:

im trying to turn off the HP-bars and i think i found the correct line in the config:

<property class="AdvancedUI">

<property name="ShowTargetHealthBar" value="false" />

but i still see the HP-bars ....
am i doing something wrong ?

or is this not the part for disabeling them ?

nvm ... found it

in case someone else wants to know 
i also had to change:
<set xpath="/windows/window[@name='windowTargetBar']/@visibility">never</set>
in the Mods\0-DarknessFallsCore\Config\XUi\windows.xml

(the other line was in the SCore config)

For anyone who enjoys bandage stacking found a way to fix it.

In
Mods/0-DarknessFallsCore/Config/items.xml

search

cvar="medicalRegHealthAmount" operation="set"
(Should be 40 values, 8 per item, for each aloe cream, both bandages, both medkits)

replace with
cvar="medicalRegHealthAmount" operation="add"

save
healing stacks again

I am playing DF using Merric's Marauders 10K DF map and was wondering if there is the endgame POI "the research lab" in this map? I am trying to build the infamous laser bench. The website where the map is at listed this place for forum topics.

1 hour ago, xhaven said:

Merric's Marauders 10K DF map

Do the following:

Press F1 to enter the console

Type 'DM' (without the quotes) to access Debug Mode

Press ESC to exit console

Press ESC again. You should now get an option for 'Open POI Teleporter' in the center of your screen. Click it.

This will give you an option to search for POI's. Type DF in the search window and press ENTER.

You'll be wanting DFalls_Research_Lab1. Its map coordinates are in parentheses next to the POI name.

Write down the coordinates. ESC out of this. Go back to console (by pressing F1) and type 'DM' to toggle out of Debug Mode. ESC to return to the game.

Hope I was clear enough. Have fun at the lab...it can get wild in there.

Edit: I don't have that map, else I'd have just given you the coordinates 😋

1 hour ago, xhaven said:

Does this option work if I am playing on a server? My friend pays for a dedicated server and we play DF on that server.

I play mostly SP. However, since Debug Mode would be governed by Admin rights, lest you can get those rights on the server my guess is that you'd be out of luck. Sounds like your friend should have admin rights though.  I mean, somebody has to be Admin. If you guys don't play PVP, ask your friend to perform the steps I outlined. Unless another member of the forum can suggest an alternative.

You could however spin up your own SP game and look for the POI on your own map. 

Yeah, I know. It's never straight forward  with this game...

Edit: Ya know, the story line will lead you to that POI. Complete enough tasks given by the Scout at your local Trader > Sends you to Razor for tasks > Sends you to Eve for tasks > Sends you to Dr Anna for task that brings you to the Research lab....

Unwanted random blocks that appear in game. No, I doubt if its the result of Khaines's fiddling with the environment. I built my base next to a pond. As the game progresses, I get dirt blocks that fill in up to 75% of the pond surface, yet they're still swishy water underneath. Only remedy I've found is to quit and exit so as to clear out the game memory. Also, its a sign for me to go and get a fresh cup of coffee. Must be an inherent flaw in the base game.

I finished the Lab from Hell challenge. Got some black key cards during it all.  Now, to figure out what they're good for.

Oh, and nice to play where this lab's lower floor actually works as intended and I don't have to cheat to get a laser workbench. Cheating via Dr Anna was a hell of a lot easier than dealing with the lab residents, but I did get better loot from it all.

8 minutes ago, Melange said:

Unwanted random blocks that appear in game. No, I doubt if its the result of Khaines's fiddling with the environment. I built my base next to a pond. As the game progresses, I get dirt blocks that fill in up to 75% of the pond surface, yet they're still swishy water underneath. Only remedy I've found is to quit and exit so as to clear out the game memory. Also, its a sign for me to go and get a fresh cup of coffee. Must be an inherent flaw in the base game.

I finished the Lab from Hell challenge. Got some black key cards during it all.  Now, to figure out what they're good for.

Oh, and nice to play where this lab's lower floor actually works as intended and I don't have to cheat to get a laser workbench. Cheating via Dr Anna was a hell of a lot easier than dealing with the lab residents, but I did get better loot from it all.

I had that happen to me recently and decided it was time to reboot too to make sure everything was set. I was having issues placing and picking up frames. I was trying to test a build before my brother and I (well mainly me) built it in our shared game.

I keep getting bad blocks while trying to build my base. Multiple times while trying to put a floor down, build a wall, or road I find spots where I can't place a block. The last one was after spending ages cutting a road down the side of a mountain. That's no small task with the way it has to be built. I tried digging a huge hole underneath it so anything that was there would have fallen if it had been a structure I built.  I had to build a tower at least a dozen blocks high to get back out of the hole only to hit the spot in the layer at ground level. Still there and still not letting me place a block. While at the bottom of the hole I took the dev gun and held the trigger for ever just waving it out of the hole trying to get rid of anything. Nothing works, I have a bad spot. And the bad part is on all of my other attempts, after getting a bad block the map started randomly crashing and slowly getting worse until it was useless to spend any time on it. It sucks spending days building a base only to have the map crash because of something you can't see and forcing you to delete the map and start over.