New weapons!

TotallyNotABot

1. What is the difference between "Wooden club" and "Baseball bat" ?

The printed logo on the bat makes the world of difference ?

2. Double Headed Axe vs. fire axe, again what is the difference ?

"Axes come in different forms, but all with basic parts like a head and a handle. The double bit axe is composed of two blades. One edge is kept in a sharp condition and the other is usually rather blunt as a result of hacking around rocks or dirt. This tool is mainly used by professional lumberjacks."

-Wikipedia.

There is zero combat advantage in double headed axe. It's just harder to use. Sure, D&D art loves dwarf with double axes.

3. Swords, you got a point there. Game could use a long sword and/or katana.

4. Flame thrower & molotovs. Like Zombie survival guide tells you: Only thing more dangerous than zombie is burning zombie. They burn buildings and your defenses and YOU.

5. Granades, sure why not. But what does that add to pipe bomb. Only faster to use.

6. Incendiary Grenade, like you said same as molotov. Only thing interesting would be thermite grenade, but that would be too OP.

The point of the grenades and incendiary grenades are to be upgrades, not different. One does more damage and the other burns much longer then a Molotov. Also I don't think you guys realize how a flamethrowers works. It doesn't shoot a flame really, it shoots burning gas. Theres no way in hell a even a zombie can survive being covered in burning gas for more then 30 seconds before its completely cooked.

"Some flamethrowers project a stream of ignited flammable liquid" -Wikipedia. This is how a military grade flamethrower works. As I said before they KILL real life soldiers in seconds. Not minutes, SECONDS.

No they aren't incapacitated or unconscious from the pain, THEY ARE DEAD. PERIOD.

A zombie being a little moist is not going to save them from this. It may keep them alive for a second or 2 longer but they definitly will not be coming after you any time soon. cause you know. They're dead.

If you can't stand criticism then stop posting on forums. I provided my points backed up with numerous research sites. The entire thread is a moot point as they aren't adding axes, swords, katanas, etc so its funny that people still post hundreds of weapons they want added when the dev's say they aren't going to.

No it's not that I wont accept criticism, its that I wont accept YOUR criticism. I will accept and listen to criticism when its well thought out, unbiased, and avoids being hypocritical, you however have all three of these problems in your criticism. When you can give criticism while avoiding the 3 problems I just listed then I will accept your criticism, but until then just ignore the topics I post m'kay?

Your wrong im not big fan of the flamethrower but still cool idea, but katana is ligth weight and able to move quickly and the sword is heavy but good against cops if it was me the anvil should be set down seperate from the forge and then forge sword if it was me i would want to make my own weapons sure guns are good and the machete but sword weight would be heavy enough to slice through coconuts and machete would get stuck now the zombie bones would have been rotten enough to slice right through it.

The grenades would be efficient but i agree i wouldnt care about those or flame thrower but i made a comment for shields so if a feral attack you can just block and hit and they would go with swat team shield and the fansty game whole thing is already fanasty and at some point madmole had a conversation about there not going for realism its there game and most people will get over it and the rest will basically have to find a way to get over it the game dosent need to be exactly your way it every ones game

- - - Updated - - -

Im going to be 100% on your side but add sheilds would be cool with it like swat team sheilds found at prison. Provides 75% protection has 200 hitpoints

No it's not that I wont accept criticism, its that I wont accept YOUR criticism. I will accept and listen to criticism when its well thought out, unbiased, and avoids being hypocritical, you however have all three of these problems in your criticism. When you can give criticism while avoiding the 3 problems I just listed then I will accept your criticism, but until then just ignore the topics I post m'kay?

1. Well thought out. Pointed out nunerous reasons why and backed it up with evidence.

2. Unbiased... Umm ok I have no stake in game development and am not affiliated with the devs so I have no bias.

3. Hypocritical, I posted logical reasons why it would be bad, even stated im not against some of them but not at the trade off of losing other more important features.

So there you go. If you can't have someone disagree civiliy without throwing a fit then don't post, really simple. Just like you threw a fit when people disagreed with you in the more guns thread because you thought more guns would be "cool".

Except the human body burns extremely poorly, and a rotting corpse would be extra moist. Most deaths from fire is the body going into immediate shock, the lungs being burnt by superhot air, and the person passing out from pain. All things that don't effect undead.

Umm that was not addressed to you....

Umm ignoring Royal Deluxe's arguments doesn't make them go away. He is right. It doesn't matter if the human body is flammable.

Since the spikes are narrow and blunt they don't tend to get stuck, its also far easier to smash then using a sword to slice thru the neck of a moving target.

The probablilty to get stuck is mainly a function of the penetration depth, the geometry of the spikes and whose physical properties (resilience and friction coefficient of metal). To me the spikes look very sharp and (and this is more important) irregularly arranged (<- increases the probablity to get stuck). Discussing this point is a bit pointless though because none of us can prove that the other is wrong. I have just one wish: Check your info before before writing it down. I mean it only takes seconds to find out that the spikes of the spiked club are pretty sharp.

sddefault.jpg.fe6a5babdd81866293f83bba39bb7e6c.jpg

Making modern day weapons is more realistic, books, tools, and knowledge of how to craft them exist. Making swords is not common knowledge. By your logic we should be able to craft any item in the game including loot only items like solar cells etc because they can be made.

Aside from irrelevance of this classification (common knowledge vs. 'uncommon' knowledge)*, you're still arguing in term of realism. Your whole viewpoint seems to based on the false assumption that the game has to be realistic. Even if all your arguments were correct, they would still be inappropriate.

Btw. either you haven't understood my logic or you try to invent statements I've never made. If the former is the case, it's probably my fault since I omitted the explanation for some obvious points (at least I thought they would be obvious).

Making solar cells requires a higher level of technology than crafting swords. Just because Intel can produce CPU's doesn't mean that the player should be able to make them. So you look at the individual amount of work (-> how difficult is the production of an item compared to other existing items), gameplay aspects and the consistency to the existing game world when implementing new craftable items. It's not like - "Hey the NASA is able to build space ships. That's why it should be a craftable vehicle".

TFP could implement craftable Solar Cells. This wouldn't be that absurd (even in real life).

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Solar-Cells

*If you think that this distinction (common knowledge and 'uncommon' knowledge) is important than please take time to explain why. I am not a mind reader. Not yet.^^

Again you do not know any of the reasons.

Just another random assumption.

It's not an arbitrary decision but a purposeful one do to limitations in the game memory. It's the same reason they aren't adding more pistols, rifles, etc. The game has limited memory to use and every item takes up memory, literally by adding a sword you are losing something like a turret or bandit.

Thanks for sharing these trivial insights. I thought the game memory was unlimited. Lol. But seriously, I know that the 'game has limited memory to use and every item takes up memory'.

Adding new things is matter of priorities. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't have some variety and redundance. Your example is an exaggeration btw. You would exchange the bandit with (maybe) 5 new weapons. Usually a single weapon doesn't consume so much memory.

Also we have 1 Madmole who is the one in charge fyi...

So why do you use the plural when you're actually talking about Madmole?

The main gist of it is in terms of content supporting 32 bit systems was probably a mistake, but they have to either support the game for 32 bit systems or develop two seperate versions which isn't feasible. We are limited to the restrictions of the 32 bit OS.

What are you talking about? According to the steam store page there is no official 32 bit support:

System Requirements:

MINIMUM:

Processor: 2.4 Ghz Dual Core CPU

Memory: 6 GB RAM

Graphics: 1 GB Dedicated Memory

DirectX: Version 10

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Storage: 4 GB available space

Sound Card: Sound Card: DirectX® Compatible

Additional Notes: Running the Dedicated Server and Client on the same computer will double ram requirements. Also future releases may require more hard drive space.

32 Bit windows cannot address 6 GB. You should know this since you're working in the software industry, right? But again it's matter of priorities. Once we get a better combat system, a lot of people would like to have more weapons. They ARE important to the gameplay.

They have LIMITED TEXTURE MEMORY. Every weapon they add means they have to remove something else.

Are there any dev comments indicating that they're already at the limit?

Umm ignoring Royal Deluxe's arguments doesn't make them go away. He is right. It doesn't matter if the human body is flammable.

The probablilty to get stuck is mainly a function of the penetration depth, the geometry of the spikes and whose physical properties (resilience and friction coefficient of metal). To me the spikes look very sharp and (and this is more important) irregularly arranged (<- increases the probablity to get stuck). Discussing this point is a bit pointless though because none of us can prove that the other is wrong. I have just one wish: Check your info before before writing it down. I mean it only takes seconds to find out that the spikes of the spiked club are pretty sharp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22935[/ATTACH]

Aside from irrelevance of this classification (common knowledge vs. 'uncommon' knowledge)*, you're still arguing in term of realism. Your whole viewpoint seems to based on the false assumption that the game has to be realistic. Even if all your arguments were correct, they would still be inappropriate.

Btw. either you haven't understood my logic or you try to invent statements I've never made. If the former is the case, it's probably my fault since I omitted the explanation for some obvious points (at least I thought they would be obvious).

Making solar cells requires a higher level of technology than crafting swords. Just because Intel can produce CPU's doesn't mean that the player should be able to make them. So you look at the individual amount of work (-> how difficult is the production of an item compared to other existing items), gameplay aspects and the consistency to the existing game world when implementing new craftable items. It's not like - "Hey the NASA is able to build space ships. That's why it should be a craftable vehicle".

TFP could implement craftable Solar Cells. This wouldn't be that absurd (even in real life).

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Solar-Cells

*If you think that this distinction (common knowledge and 'uncommon' knowledge) is important than please take time to explain why. I am not a mind reader. Not yet.^^

Just another random assumption.

Thanks for sharing these trivial insights. I thought the game memory was unlimited. Lol. But seriously, I know that the 'game has limited memory to use and every item takes up memory'.

Adding new things is matter of priorities. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't have some variety and redundance. Your example is an exaggeration btw. You would exchange the bandit with (maybe) 5 new weapons. Usually a single weapon doesn't consume so much memory.

So why do you use the plural when you're actually talking about Madmole?

What are you talking about? According to the steam store page there is no official 32 bit support:

System Requirements:

MINIMUM:

Processor: 2.4 Ghz Dual Core CPU

Memory: 6 GB RAM

Graphics: 1 GB Dedicated Memory

DirectX: Version 10

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Storage: 4 GB available space

Sound Card: Sound Card: DirectX® Compatible

Additional Notes: Running the Dedicated Server and Client on the same computer will double ram requirements. Also future releases may require more hard drive space.

32 Bit windows cannot address 6 GB. You should know this since you're working in the software industry, right? But again it's matter of priorities. Once we get a better combat system, a lot of people would like to have more weapons. They ARE important to the gameplay.

Are there any dev comments indicating that they're already at the limit?

I'm not going to argue with you because it's clear your mind is set. Feel free to believe what you will, if your not willing to listen it's pointless to argue.

There are quite a few posts about the devs saying they are constantly at the limit of the memory in the game, there is a 32 bit mode which madmole has mentioned repeatedly being a limitation. I'm not going to dig thru 5 years of posts though to prove what most of us who follow his posts already know.

I've said my piece, you've said yours. In the end we will see if the devs decide to add swords or anything else or if they stick with their statement that they will not and will let modders take care of that.

I'm not going to argue with you because it's clear your mind is set. Feel free to believe what you will, if your not willing to listen it's pointless to argue.

Not really. If your arguments were well thought out, I wouldn't disagree but they aren't.

Sorry but it's always the same predictable game. You pop in and invent some straw man arguments (e.g. "Your not going to find them (axe, sword, katana) laying around" - Nobody wants them laying around).

Then you're making some unexplained assumptions (e.g. swords have to be super balanced. I know you've explained this in one of your later comments. So that's just an example.) and arguments based on those assumptions or arguments only working in specific circumstances (e.g. "fire won't kill them (the zombies) quickly" - Why do we have to kill them quickly at all?).

At the end you cite the dev's opinion and indirectly say that the op's requests are pointless (at least that's how it looks to me). Moreover you tend to ignore most of the counterarguments.

In a nutshell, you provide us with a huge target. So please be more constructive and improve your argumentation (don't use straw-mans, explain your assumptions, don't only consider specific situations (or explain us why)).

There are quite a few posts about the devs saying they are constantly at the limit of the memory in the game, there is a 32 bit mode which madmole has mentioned repeatedly being a limitation. I'm not going to dig thru 5 years of posts though to prove what most of us who follow his posts already know.

Yes, there was an officially supported 32 bit mode. That's why we have these posts from Madmole. But now we need 6 GB ram minimum due to significant changes in A16. So the questions are, do they drop the 32 bit support at some point and what can be achieved when TFP improve the memory usage.

Yes, there was an officially supported 32 bit mode. That's why we have these posts from Madmole. But now we need 6 GB ram minimum due to significant changes in A16. So the questions are, do they drop the 32 bit support at some point and what can be achieved when TFP improve the memory usage.

They CANNOT drop 32 bit mode unless they are willing to refund every single player who bought the game and claims they cannot play it because of that. They will get sued bigtime.

They CANNOT drop 32 bit mode unless they are willing to refund every single player who bought the game and claims they cannot play it because of that. They will get sued bigtime.

Yeah maybe. I don't know what's possible in steam early access.^^

• 1 year later...
No to axe, sword, katana. This is not a fantasy game and they make 0 sense. Your not going to find them laying around and your not going to be mass producing those in a homemade forge.

Navezgane is a big place, I bet you'd find a tacticool guy or two around, with swords and ♥♥♥♥ in their bedrooms.

Guys, guys...

Not going into discussion about whether this is possible or not to implement these. THIS IS A SUGGESTION THREAD.

Concernign realism vs gameplay - each of the current weapons could lodge into a zombie body, especially the fatter ones like fatso, fat lady and cop. Unless you're using only the tip of the blade (it doesn't dig deep enough) it's a matter of how much flesh it goes through. The momentum slows down when it hits resistance, which is why even a sharpened axe requires a big swing to cut through pieces of wood (even so, at some moment it simply splits apart and is not cut through). Lumberjacks need many hits against a tree with an axe, chipping away on the trunk before they can fell a tree.

Now imagine using a knife or machete. These would lodge even easier in a Z. Clubs are used for smashing, yet i predict the would also to some extent lodge in zombie bodies. Sledge hammers sometimes lodge into their targets and need to be pulled out.

In summary, this game doesn't think about "pulling back your weapon from a hit". You simply swing and do damage, like in many other games. That is far less realism then you would expect.

Archived