Prefab Editor (Alpha)

Pille

Yeah I picked 3 which left it on its side so figured that thanks very much for all the advice, To Guppy too thanks... Now i can try my hand at some prefabs as ive always wanted to have a go :)

Nice, and sorry I wasn't online.

my custom paint textures don't appear in the list - is that how it should be?

The editor does not read the game textures but it reads the image files in ~/Zombie/data/textures. Have you added your texture to this folder? The follow format for the filename should work:

NameOfYourTexture__idxxx.jpg

(note you need two underscores )

I think you will understand the format having a look at the texture folder... The image size has to be 144x150, I guess.^^

...note the Zoning is "Any" and that the AllowedBiomes and AllowedTownships have all of them in it. This is the prefab XML.

That's what i'm talking about! - this may not work, i always write(enumerate) all zones. For example, see street fillers - they never appear.

PS: by the way, there is an interesting bug where prefab may not spawn if it in the biome "pine_forest" and it not prescribed to the type "city".

So you need 4 buttons Guppy? One for Allowed townships, one for allowed biomes, one for zoning (because zoning 'any' may not work correctly) and one button that triggers the other 3, right?

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

It all worked but, I went to make a simple Farm & when ever I type Prefab Simplify all the blocks disintergrate & fall leaving lots of yellow lined errors.. Ive looked in the prefabs folder & lots of the farms or similar dont have a Mesh file, Is this something to do with the fertile soil or soil in general ? Thanks

You're using an empty world setup? You have to deactivate the physics. Open the console (press F1), type dm, press Enter, press F1 again to close the console. Then press escape and have a look at the debug options on the right side of the screen... There is an option for physics.

Ive looked in the prefabs folder & lots of the farms or similar dont have a Mesh file, Is this something to do with the fertile soil or soil in general ? Thanks

Mhh I don't think so. Usually small prefabs don't have mesh files.

@Guppy

I think the button should check the following checkboxes?

TTRaVL8.jpg

The human readable values for Meta2 are there, but not for Meta. I even tested doors and lights, to see if it was block-specific, but unless I just happened to pick a door (jail) and a light (326, ceilingLight07) without meta, it just show numbers.

I wish Rotations to Face North was changed to human readable as well. The In-Game Editor Simply has "Prefab Facing: direction" (or something like that, but, basically, 0 - N, 1 - W, 2 - S, 3 - E).

And speaking of rotations, could Front/Side view please use rotations to define where they are? Or, at least, have a way to invert the direction of X-Ray?

The human readable values for Meta2 are there, but not for Meta. I even tested doors and lights, to see if it was block-specific, but unless I just happened to pick a door (jail) and a light (326, ceilingLight07) without meta, it just show numbers.

It's a bit clumsily implemented atm. Click on a door or light and then click on the meta text field to update the showed list of values.

I wish Rotations to Face North was changed to human readable as well. The In-Game Editor Simply has "Prefab Facing: direction" (or something like that, but, basically, 0 - N, 1 - W, 2 - S, 3 - E).

Yeah, no problem...

And speaking of rotations, could Front/Side view please use rotations to define where they are? Or, at least, have a way to invert the direction of X-Ray?

I'll do my best!

The editor does not read the game textures but it reads the image files in ~/Zombie/data/textures. Have you added your texture to this folder? The follow format for the filename should work:

NameOfYourTexture__idxxx.jpg

(note you need two underscores )

I think you will understand the format having a look at the texture folder... The image size has to be 144x150, I guess.^^

Oh, yes, Thank You, i should have remembered right away because i noticed these textures when copying.

Just , i expected to receive the texture in the list (without image).

TTRaVL8.jpg

....perhaps you make the mistake of including in this list -"Any".

Edited by n2n1 (see edit history)

Just an idea, because i often work with huge prefabs:

- scrolling when the "space" button is pressed"

- after the prefab is load, the window is centered on (upper left corner?)

then have to manually center the prefab (to get in the center for a better view, after reduce zoom).

I would like that the window has begun to draw from the center.

Edited by n2n1
correcting about center point (see edit history)

- after the prefab is load, the window is centered on (upper left corner?)

then have to manually center the prefab (to get in the center for a better view, after reduce zoom).

I would like that the window has begun to draw from the center.

Yeah good suggestion ... but I don't get your first idea. What is the "space" button? Middle mouse button?

I found a bug related to the new feature "restore last session":

- if you create a new prefab and do not specify a name, then when you save "Save" (not "Save as...") it will be saved to the last prefab that was used.

Yeah good suggestion ... but I don't get your first idea. What is the "space" button? Middle mouse button?

When you work with a large prefab (or images) - you have to constantly scroll.

Clamp the left button on the work area together with the "spacebar" and move!

Fantastic convenience and mobility!

It is not necessary to use the "spacebar", but - any key on the keyboard which will be triggered by the main function of the mouse.

I found a bug related to the new feature "restore last session":

- if you create a new prefab and do not specify a name, then when you save "Save" (not "Save as...") it will be saved to the last prefab that was used.

Ohh pretty serious bug. I am going to release the next version today... Thanks for the report.

Mhh i am not able to reproduce the bug so far. When I save, I get the file save dialog. Here a my steps:

1. Created a new prefab and saved it (<- last prefab that was used).

2. Restarted the editor and clicked on 'new prefab...' without specifying a name.

3. Clicked on 'Save'

Not sure that the fix will work:

Changelog v0.41

- Added qol buttons (toggle buttons) to xml tab

- Fixed (?): Restore last session function unintentionally overwrites last used prefab when new prefab is created and saved

Edit:

Looks like the restore last session function is somehow blocking the autoupdater. Please use the force update function. I'll try to fix this bug in the next update.

Changelog v0.42

- added human-readable text to RotationFaceNorth combobox (a16 only)

- Changed New prefab dialog to avoid this bug: "Restore last session function unintentionally overwrites last used prefab when new prefab is created and saved"

- fixed: restore last session blocks autoupdater on slow machines

PS. Click on extras -> force update, if the update won't start

This bug I found on purpose.

During the experiments with the decals, i noticed that the application window does not contain the name prefab (there was not even "unnamed prefab") - then i decided that this is related to the new feature and deliberately clicked on the "save", being sure that it will spoil the prefab whose name was to be used from the restored session. That's what happened. While "saving", not appearance of the window that asks for the name, and, one of the some prefab has been overwritten (was overwritten by the prefab that didn't get a name).

But... now i can't reproduce this error, because it's a complicated situation occurred at the time when i decided to turn off the setting "restore last session", and then i continued to work (without restarting the app). At some point - i saw that the name of the window does not contain the name of the prefab.... That's the point....:crushed:

PS: (I mean, the name of the application window - where the name of the prefab is shown...)

PPS: ...it is possible that at some point two applications were launched simultaneously...

I found sequences....

This is for version 0.40, and when the "restore last session" - is turned off.

1. load the prefab #1, do any changes and save ("save").

2. closing the editor.

3. run the editor and in the appeared window (which is empty, but corresponds to the size of the prefab #1, and have name "unnamed prefab") - draw something and click "save" (not "save as").

Everything will be written to the file prefab #1

PS: I haven't tested the latest versions yet.

Something weird happened. I'm not sure it's a bug or what. I used the advanced replace to replace 1170 blocks with 1167 on all prefabs, and, curiously enough, a bunch of resource prefabs showed up:

modified:   Data/Prefabs/resource_coal_pile.tts
       modified:   Data/Prefabs/resource_iron_pile.tts
       modified:   Data/Prefabs/resource_lead_pile.tts
       modified:   Data/Prefabs/resource_nitrate_pile.tts
       modified:   Data/Prefabs/resource_oilshale_pile.tts
       modified:   Data/Prefabs/resource_rareOre_pile.tts

I checked coal, just for the sake of it, and there's no 1170 block in it (of course). So what's being modified in these prefabs? It's not like all prefabs were modified -- not by a long shot. Here's the diff for coal:

--- a/Data/Prefabs/resource_coal_pile.tts
+++ b/Data/Prefabs/resource_coal_pile.tts
@@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
-00000000  74 74 73 00 08 00 00 00  04 00 02 00 05 00 00 00  |tts.............|
+00000000  74 74 73 00 0a 00 00 00  04 00 02 00 05 00 00 00  |tts.............|
00000010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
00000020  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
00000030  00 00 1b 00 00 00 1b 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
@@ -11,5 +11,11 @@
000000a0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 4e 38  |..............N8|
000000b0  4e 76 7f 7f 7f 7f 05 e0  fd 44 7f 6c 7e 7f 01 c8  |Nv.......D.l~...|
000000c0  d1 10 7f 2c 1e 7f 00 00  b0 00 7f 4e 1d 6f 00 f2  |...,.......N.o..|
-000000d0  da 27 7f 6e 65 7f 00 00                           |.'.ne...|
-000000d8
+000000d0  da 27 7f 6e 65 7f 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |.'.ne...........|
+000000e0  60 50 f1 78 00 03 00 80  00 00 00 00 08 00 00 00  |`P.x............|
+000000f0  0e 00 00 00 a2 d8 08 00  18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
+00000100  66 00 00 00 66 01 00 00  8e 01 00 00 67 01 00 00  |f...f.......g...|
+00000110  66 00 00 00 68 01 00 00  67 00 00 00 77 01 00 00  |f...h...g...w...|
+00000120  8d 01 00 00 68 01 05 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |....h...........|
+00000130  00                                                |.|
+00000131

Looks like two minor bugs to me.

1. There is no check for modifications - The editor will load and save the prefab, no matter if any changes were made.

2. The editor doesn't keep the old prefab formats when saving prefabs (this is somehow intended but should be optional). It loads the resource prefabs (they use the old a15 prefab format without the painting stuff) and it adds some bytes to the files related to the painting system. So it's basically a conversion from A15 prefab to A16 prefab.

Edit:

I recommend to use the old unmodified resource prefabs, just in case. I've made some tests ... haven't found any performance impacts or bugs but who knows.

Edited by Pille
grammar (see edit history)

Update Time!

Changelog v0.43(b) and Changelog v0.43©

(I accidentally renamed 0.42 to 0.43. Actually, it's 0.42(b) and 0.42©)

- added console command 'prefab' - shows the path of the currently loaded prefab

(i am going to add more useful command in the near future...)

- fixed: editor overwrites previously loaded prefabs:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?62501-Prefab-Editor-(Alpha)&p=801364&viewfull=1#post801364

- fixed advanced replace function 'replace (prefabs in folder)':

The editor saves the loaded prefabs, no matter if any changes were made (Note: it still changes the file format of the A15 compatible prefabs if blocks were modified)

Edit:

Download link in the op updated.

Thank you for your continued improvements on this essential modding tool! I keep stumbling over 1 tiny bug, since it's something I use fairly often: the paint colors concrete dark grey and concrete medium grey have the same ID nr (162) in your editor, it should be 161 for the medium grey. Hope that makes it into the next patch :)

Also, a question: is there currently a way to auto-compare 2 prefab files to each other to locate changes?

Upps, pretty embarrassing bug.^^ I am going to add a fix very soon. If you want it now, take a look at the texture folder in the program folder (path: ~Zombie (64 bit)/data/textures ). Rename the file 'concrete grey__id162.jpg' to fix the issue.

Also, a question: is there currently a way to auto-compare 2 prefab files to each other to locate changes?

Nope but it's a nice suggestion. I've to add some additional tools anyway (in preparation for a17). Perhaps I can or have to invent such an auto-'comparator'.^^

Awesome, thank you! :) I just fiddled with some prefabs and noticed a new bug: the editor now removes the AllowedTownships line from the xml upon saving, easy to fix when you know, but easy to overlook as well.