[WIP] True Survival SDX

Spider

I'm at L49 in my play-though and I agree about the midgame. In my modded version, I lowered all L75 skill requirements (like steel) to L50 which gave me a realistic goal to get to. This felt about right playing from L25 to L50. Spider does not agree with this change, so if you want it you need to do a find/replace in the progression.xml file. Look for all instances of this string: required_player_level="75" and change all to: required_player_level="50".

This change will probably keep me in the current play-though until A16 to drops.

After talking to my friend we came to pretty much the same conclusion yesterday. We decided that hitting level 50 felt about right for the current progression/difficulty and then used the console command to gift ourselves enough experience to hit level 75. We will use this method until A16 drops assuming no further changes are made to the current build.

The mid game grind might be different on public servers with many players as those human interactions allow for more interesting competition/conflicts during that period to keep people interested but in a purely solo or cooperative game that long slog is just really really boring as the game world itself does not offer enough competition/variety while waiting for all the level 75 gated goodies. I understand there is no way to balance the mod for every play style and will just use the method above as my personal workaround to suit my needs. I look forward to the A16 changes that Spider says will solve this 'problem'.

Wow, you guys last that long? Once I get to level 25 there isn't much to look forward to and killing zeds isn't that interesting.

So usually around day 24 is when I start over with a new game.

I doubt I would have made it to L50 in single player. Playing cooperatively with one or more friends makes the levels go by faster, and for me at least is much more fun. There are priceless moments when you play in co-op, like last night during the bloodmoon, I shot a methane container at range but never noticed another "friend" had wandered in too close to the blast zone. BOOM! Couldn't stop laughing. Sadly, this reduced our firepower so the bloodmoon fort was completely overrun but brutes and cops, and they made quick work of our fallback defense points 1, 2 and 3. We ended up running down the road just as 4:00am hit, and happily we lived to cleanup the mess.

This game seems ideal for extended cooperative play; less so for SP or PvP.

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned before(180+ pages....), but i think you have a minor Bug in your XML-Files.

Looking at your Professions there is the Carpenter, Electrician and Mechanic with the property "x2 Harvest Count"

Looking into your "progression.xml" the actual values are:

Carpenter

<multiply perk_level="1" value="2" />

Electrician

<multiply perk_level="1" value="1.1" />

Mechanic

<multiply perk_level="1" value="1.1" />

So its only the carpenter with actual "x2" harvest.

Not sure if intended or mistake ;)

I agree to all points about Mid game...BUT if you think about hitting lvl 75, or even 100, whats left to grind lvl for?

I don't think that 7D2D has enough basic functionality (limited quest system, limited combat system, limited AI etc. and content (besides building) to provide both a mid game and an end game when level progression is slowed to the degree it is in TS. I expect this to improve with each release though. A16 will provide some enhancements that should allow Spider and team to make a better progression through at least level 100.

***LATE GAME CHALLENGE***

7DTD is my favorite game. I play True Survival SDX, War of the Walkers, and Starvation mods in rotation. Probably the most common complaint on the boards is that there is no challenge late game. Mods like True Survival SDX stretch the game with slower progression which does help some with that issue. Ultimately the only way to make late game challenging is to bring in a variable that can cause a player to “lose it all”.

Three obvious means to that end would be: late game zombies that can better destroy bases and tunnel into our underground bases. Another option is to have radiation zones spread, military bombings, or some other ecological disaster. A disaster that eliminates food sources by rapidly or slowly kills off plants, animals, and perhaps the player as well if they don’t move away from it. An enduring drought perhaps or parasite that kills plants and trees. Forcing the player to move on and rebuild somewhere else on the map.

The best option I feel is to have dynamic communities of NPC’s that form, grow, and fight for territory/ resources throughout the game. Enemy NPC’s that build bases in real time, send out looters, compete for our resources, and attack our bases. The greater your acquired wealth and resources the greater the target on your back. NPC’s spawn into the game with morality ratings that direct how they behave and what factions they will join. Sleeper zombies in POIs is cool, inhabited POIs with defending NPC’s even better. Not just bandit strongholds but regular people as well. Having to make moral choices about whether to steal, kill, or help others would give the game serious depth. Deciding to form your own faction, join an existing faction, fight them, or run from them also adds real depth and dynamic gameplay. We need to see NPCs turn into zombies. The Walking Dead show keeps rolling because human threats and power struggles keep the zombie issue a real danger by weakening strongholds acquired by the main characters. I lack the knowledge/talent to mod, but I realize these features would be challenging to put in the game. I do think most players would agree that the future of zombie survival games will evolve to include all the RPG elements I am suggesting, some already do.

Hi guys

Anyone else experiencing odd unexplained deaths ? This happened to me and some of the mates over the last couple days. The last one that happened to me was last night. I was on 45 HP, with Bandaged wound. That was only active buff. I was inside a bunker, so no enemies around, only one of my friends. I popped a vitamin and instantly dropped dead as if exploded. This does not happen every time you pop a pill on vitamin. So I have no idea how to reproduce this yet...., bu it is rather bad when trying to play dead is dead.

Now if I recall correctly, the previous time this happened was same scenario. Same thing happened to other people. Is this a known issue ?

Hi guys

Anyone else experiencing odd unexplained deaths ? This happened to me and some of the mates over the last couple days. The last one that happened to me was last night. I was on 45 HP, with Bandaged wound. That was only active buff. I was inside a bunker, so no enemies around, only one of my friends. I popped a vitamin and instantly dropped dead as if exploded. This does not happen every time you pop a pill on vitamin. So I have no idea how to reproduce this yet...., bu it is rather bad when trying to play dead is dead.

Now if I recall correctly, the previous time this happened was same scenario. Same thing happened to other people. Is this a known issue ?

I have no idea why this is happening to you. I don't recall it being reported before, nor have I experienced it. I checked the code and do not see any reason why a vitamin could reduce your health in any scenario.

Hi guys

I suspect you had a bandaged BITE wound. When those hit the end of a timer they will sometimes convert into a Serious Wound/Gash/Bleeding-Out status which at your relatively low HP status may have killed you. It took me awhile to realize this occurs with Bite Wounds. Now i pay close attention to the countdown timers for bites and make sure i am ready to deal with whatever status the bite changes into.

I suspect you had a bandaged BITE wound. When those hit the end of a timer they will sometimes convert into a Serious Wound/Gash/Bleeding-Out status which at your relatively low HP status may have killed you. It took me awhile to realize this occurs with Bite Wounds. Now i pay close attention to the countdown timers for bites and make sure i am ready to deal with whatever status the bite changes into.

No, like I said, the only buff I had, was a normal bandaged wound. And it's not only me. 3 of us on the server have each died at least 2 - 3 times like this. Also getting random leg sprains and wounds when not in combat or doing anything.

If this has not been reported before, then it must be something server side again. The previous problems we had with the saved games was also Bluefang screwing up directories.

You have to keep an eye on your current buffs, especially when your HP is low. I too have lost track of what I was doing just to collapse and die because I forgot to keep an eye on my debuffs. The only other thing it could be is a invisible zombie. Check your UMA texture setting in your options. If you have it set higher than your PC can handle it will make the UMA zombies invisible sometimes.

Thanks, will have a look at that settings.

Latest event was just now. Was leaving the mine, ready to go drop off the materials. So full inventory, nothing visible near me, not hitting anything, and character just all the sudden moan and I have a severe wound and gash. I am wearing high ql iron armour in all slots except for mining helmet on head. No enemies visible, and was running back to bikey, so not mining so no rocks falling of any sort.

Latest event was just now. Was leaving the mine, ready to go drop off the materials. So full inventory, nothing visible near me, not hitting anything, and character just all the sudden moan and I have a severe wound and gash. I am wearing high ql iron armour in all slots except for mining helmet on head. No enemies visible, and was running back to bikey, so not mining so no rocks falling of any sort.

There's your killer. Tend to your wounds or you can die. Read their buff descriptions and look at what stats they effect.

How do you go on about creating a dedicated server for this mod and at the same time you can play it yourself from the same computer? I know how to do it with the vanilla using the 7d2d server manager, but don't yet have a clue to do it with this mod.

Fantastic mod btw! :)

How do you go on about creating a dedicated server for this mod and at the same time you can play it yourself from the same computer? I know how to do it with the vanilla using the 7d2d server manager, but don't yet have a clue to do it with this mod.

Fantastic mod btw! :)

You would do 2 installs on the same computer. You can use the 7D2D launcher to install the client copy. Next, there is an install document (linked in one of the opening posts of this thread) that shows you how to install the dedicated server. Once both are loaded, you just connect to that server as you would any other server, using your PC's local IP address and whatever port you chose.

I still say that it sounds like exactly what happens when a bandaged bite timer counts down to zero. I'm fairly sure it's just the bites that behave this way but it could be any type of bandaged wound i guess. It's very easy to forget about these as you go about your business after bandaging. 15 minutes pass while you are off and doing other things and then when you don't expect it WHAM! Severe Wound/Gash/Bleeding out!

The next time you get a bite wound. Cauterize it, Bandage it, then pay very careful attention to that bandage timer. When it hits zero a few things may happen- It may convert to a lesser wound, it may not change status and just needs a new bandage, or you may get that fun one with the severe/gash/bleeding.

If you can confirm these deaths are occurring with NO wounds/bite in effect then it's definitely something else but i am fairly sure this is whats happening.

You would do 2 installs on the same computer. You can use the 7D2D launcher to install the client copy. Next, there is an install document (linked in one of the opening posts of this thread) that shows you how to install the dedicated server. Once both are loaded, you just connect to that server as you would any other server, using your PC's local IP address and whatever port you chose.

Thank you! I followed the instructions on: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofhxt7k6d4qtsv1/Guide_for_Dedicated_server_install.rtf?dl=0

I can now connect to my server just fine, but I cannot seem to get Putty to connect to it. I am getting the "Error, Connection refused". I have allowed Putty in the windows firewall, but no success.

edit: Nvm, I was stupid. I was using my local ip instead of 127.0.0.1. Now it works. xD

There's your killer. Tend to your wounds or you can die. Read their buff descriptions and look at what stats they effect.

The way it reads to me is that the moan and severe wound + gash happened at the same time.

Sounds like an invis zombie.

No no.... I GOT the severe wound from nothing. I am level 51. I know how to tend a wound.

If you read what I said in first post. There was only 1 buff active. That was a wound I already bandaged from the night before. It was not dirty yet, and already downgraded from severe wound to wound.

The way it reads to me is that the moan and severe wound + gash happened at the same time.

Sounds like an invis zombie.

I thought so too, but my UMA textures is on low. Also, when I took the damage I stopped and closed the bleeding wound etc. yet nothing attacked me further. If it was a invisi zombie, it should have continued attacking me ? Or do they operate another way ?

EDIT : And not just in a cave. I just ran accross the road now, and got that leg break sound and another severe wound and a gash. Nothing around me and nothing attacking me.

Archived