7DTD Darwin Awards

Clare

So I've been doing a dead is dead stream, insane difficulty, very high spawn, no loot respawn etc. Head out to collect a load of corn from the farm as I'm moving to a better base. Collect my corn, no problem... Start running for my new destination and hit one of the docks with a horde of zombies, bypass them and run around them straight into the face of a bear that was obscured from view because of a rock... There was no getting away from it when I could only react when I was already in striking distance...

2 strikes off it and the dead is dead stream came to an end...

It was day 2...

Not my finest hour...

I think my funnest death was when I was using debug mode to test random weapons against zombies. I had checked the spawn 25 button for some sort of easy zombies and then I decided to try the gun against Policemen.... spawned 25 accidentally and 3 seconds later i died to a wall of vomit.

Whether it was a bug that got you, a lapse in judgement or a pipe bomb you didn't know how to throw, the 7DTD Darwin Awards are for all the deaths you would rather didn't happen, but were still spectacular anyway.

So tell your tale, what makes you eligible for an Award?

Not sure if this would count, but a buddy and I were building up our base for the incoming horde when he decided to see what the red barrels sitting around for. One hit with his stone axe and he went flying out like a rag doll while a huge chunk of wall for our base was destroyed...

mining so long that when i do surface i forget that i have exploding rounds in my crossbow.. and wind up shooting a zed within a meter of my person.

Tabbing out of the game and then right clicking on the game to get back in, also forgetting i have exploding rounds in my crossbow.

setting a spike trap below a ladder set 2 meters from the ground, forgetting to jump off the ladder onto the nearby ledge when descending.

thinking i'm at the actual end of a row of TNT in a tunnel only to find that the game simply made them invisible... fire in the er.. death

i havnt died from a zed in weeks,.. i died from falling sand in a tunnel last week.

- - - Updated - - -

I think my funnest death was when I was using debug mode to test random weapons against zombies. I had checked the spawn 25 button for some sort of easy zombies and then I decided to try the gun against Policemen.... spawned 25 accidentally and 3 seconds later i died to a wall of vomit.

coffee spew... accross my monitor..

A friend of mine and I were heading back from a long trip on foot. We had been walking for a very long time and the 7th night was upon us with a long distance still to cover. She was asking me if I could make room to carry something for her. We started getting swarmed with zombies as i frantically tried to make room for the items she wanted me to carry. She had taken some hits and was asking for help. In my haste, I noticed broken glass on my bar. Scrambling to make room and help her with our zombie problems, I ended up miss clicking and eating the glass. Sadly, death was swift and the long walk back for my bag was not.

• 2 weeks later...

I deserve the Darwin award but not for dying.

I spent several Alpha versions pissed off because the developers failed to provide

a method for turning coffee into seeds that could be planted. One day I realized

that the coffee was already in seed form. Also, I ate a lot of moldy bread before

I learned its real purpose.

Thinking I could jump over a 2 block pit...

I have jumped over the pit hundreds of times while I would be out and about looting.

One day, thinking no issues jumped and well, didnt work out so well. Went falling down 10 blocks straight down on top of a spike pit. Luckily I was able to destroy my spikes before I died and bled out.

I have a fair sized spike filled pit encircling one of my bases that requires me to build pathways with wooden frames just so I'm able to safely traverse it for repairs.

During one of my repair runs, a small horde of zombies stumbled into the pit. Nothing I haven't handled before. I had a Sniper Rifle on me so I wasn't too worried. Heck, I was even a little cocky and maybe let them get a little too close. It was then that my controller died, having completely forgotten to charge it the night before. What's worse is that I had lent the cord to my roommate downstairs, so I had to franctically search for it. Found it after a minute, but sadly I ended up coming back to the respawn screen.

From what I could surmise, the zombies that managed to survive the spikes had crawled over to me and smashed the wooden frame out from under me before they were themselves killed by the spikes. Naturally, my character fell into the spikes and bled out while I was away.

Hi,

So...Im not trying to discredit your story but, I am curious about it....You say your controller died right? Well that is the same as if you have the power save feature turned on to power down your controller after it is inactive for a number of minutes....When the controllers power is disabled whether that is by inactivity or loss of power....The game pauses....A screen pops up stating that power to controller 1 has been lost, please connect a controller to continue (or something to that effect)....So....Like i said, im just curiously asking....How did you die...when your controller died....if.....the game...pauses when the controller is disconnected?

dead controller

Hi,

So...Im not trying to discredit your story but, I am curious about it....You say your controller died right? Well that is the same as if you have the power save feature turned on to power down your controller after it is inactive for a number of minutes....When the controllers power is disabled whether that is by inactivity or loss of power....The game pauses....A screen pops up stating that power to controller 1 has been lost, please connect a controller to continue (or something to that effect)....So....Like i said, im just curiously asking....How did you die...when your controller died....if.....the game...pauses when the controller is disconnected?

Hi, on PS4 the game won't pause with no controller connected, even in SinglePlayer! Happend two times to me (up to Patch2). I don't know if this was changed with Patch3 or afterwards.

Since then, my controllercable is always connceted to the PS4 and is lying on the floor, ready to use. I think of it as an other aspect of survival :)...

Not quite a darwinism but..

I just started a brand new game, collected a few rocks, feathers and a little wood. I see nearby a nice ramshackle house which would be the perfect place for night one, it's still early in the morning but still ill head over and look for loot and a place to put a bedroll and so head over quite enthusiastically.

Too enthusiastically. I neglect to see the gaping hole in the ground which is a cave and fall into it. Not so bad you might think? Nerd pole out of there? Nope, not enough frames or wood. Annnd, there's a feral zombie in the cave too!

So I spent 30 stone arrows with a rubbish bow and the feral was still alive. I then spent a further 15 minutes! Yes 15 minutes hiding behind stalagmites and trading blows with my terrible club until that broke and then hitting it with my fists and the thing was still goimg strong.

Fortunately I managed to coax the feral off a ledge and deeper into the cave where it couldnt get back up and then found a sweet spot where I could wedge myself with assistance of frames against the vertical cave walls and jump, use a frame, collect a frame, use a frame, collect a frame, until I was out.

I then spent the last few hours of the day collecting wood. Plenty of wood. And also taunting the angry feral at the bottom of the cave.

I had an episode of stupidity just now... I recently started a new game to enjoy the full benefits of the latest patch and recently passed day 21 on that game. In my previous games it took quite a bit of time before I encountered zombie bears, way past day 100 so by then I had purple armour and powerful weapons. This time... a crossbow, a spiked club and a really dull wit.

I went to hub city for a bit of looting and maybe I shouldn't have stayed past curfew but hey, the looting was good. So I come down one street and l and lo and behold there it is... big hulking shape in the dark, with the telltale black fur, standing there and hanging out with its' dog pals. And I think, dogs and a bear... nope, not tonight. So I turn to my left and... another friggin bear! This bear was alone though. Maybe he didn't like the dogs. I had just clobbered a feral with my new spiked club so filled with ill deserved confidence I thought - that thing will probably give me lots of hides, it's still a ways off so I can probably soften it up with my crossbow before it gets close enough for me to finish it off with the club.

So the moral of the story is: if all you have is a crossbow, a spiked club and a really ill-concieved plan - stay the f*** away from the zombie bears.

• 2 weeks later...

haha these stories are hilarious! I can feel everyone's pain as I read them. I've got a soft spot for the bears though.... I can't help my share my bear story. But, first you must know it all started....

The very FIRST time I played 7dtd, I was so excited. Spawned in Navezgane next to a car... looted the car and the corpse. Walked 20 feet and started punching a tree (MineCraft style). I saw a bear close by, but didn't pay it any attention. Just punched the tree.... then, I got mauled. 3 minutes into the zombie apocalypse and I was mauled by a bear. Darwin award material for sure.

Fast forward at a couple weeks later. It was getting dark and I was almost back home. I saw a bear sniffing around at a tree. His back was to me and I remembered what his buddy did to me before. I drew an arrow and shot him right in the @$$. To this day I don't know what possessed me to do that! It turned and ROARED. I sprinted toward the house yelling to my daughter (split screen) who was already in the house, "BEAR!!! OPEN THE DOOR!!!!!" She's like "huh?! what??". I said "BEAR!!! BEAR!! CHASING ME!!! OPEN THE Doooooorr!" I was almost there and fell off the porch into some spikes, but managed to get back on the porch . Not realizing the severity of the situation (despite my nearly incoherent yelling and panic), she could not have been any slower getting to the darn door! I managed to open the door MYSELF and ran in; however, the bear ran in right behind me!! She FINALLY got around to pressing triangle to open the door (which was already open at this point) and managed to CLOSE the door. One swipe is all it took for the bear to kill me (since I took a tumble through the spikes). So my daughter panic as if I didn't warn her and started running circles around our small house. The bear had both of us for dinner, but was trapped in our house.

Fortunately, we respawned on our beds upstairs... and were able to shoot arrows through the middle of our donut-shaped upper-level floor.

Needless to say, the bears and I have built a special kind of relationship. The kind where they go wherever they want and I leave them the h#ll alone.

Day 1 : rather than looking for a POI as I usually do, I spent all day gathering resources and building a cabin-on-stilts in the grassy meadow where I spawned. I also ate my can of chili and scrapped the can.

Night 1 : after drinking what little clean water I had, my hydration level hit zero and I started suffering. Deciding that, at this point, any water was better than none, I picked a direction and walked until I found a pond. Managed to take 2 sips without getting sick, then pushed my luck and struck out on the third swallow.

Day 2 : started searching far & wide for POIs to loot, desperate to find a cooking pot so I could brew up some Goldenrod Tea.

By the time I found a pot, the dysentery had progressed to stage 2, and I found out the hard way that Goldenrod Tea can't help with that. At this point, nothing but antibiotics would cure me. Also, I'd been a bit reckless in my search and managed to also get infected. I hit the road and started running, searching everything in sight while eating/bandaging/popping pills frantically in an attempt to keep up with the health loss.

I eventually ran out of food & healing items without having found any antibiotics and died crapping my pants in the middle of the road between a Grand Ostrich Hotel and a Pass 'N' Gas.

So a friend of mine and I were out and about fairly early in the game. We came across a camp with a few zombies and my friend decided to use a pipe bomb on the zombies to see how they work. Sadly, I wanted to practice using a club on the zombies.

Fire in the hole, he says "Tex back!" the pipe bomb immediately blows up.

We no longer use explosives in the game.

• 4 weeks later...

One time I was mining out a mountain of sandstone about 40 blocks high. I was basically hollowing it out without really thinking about it. I was digging for a solid 30 minutes while chatting and eventually the entire top of the mountain fell onto my head.

I died of course and went back for my bag, which of course wasn't there in this new hole that looked like a meteor impact crater. People still laugh at me about that one.

• 2 weeks later...

So we have set up in the hub city and were temporarily in a bombed out apartment building until I got the bunker set up. I come up out of my mine and hear the growling of a bear. I know the bear is close, but I'm at 10% hunger and the apartment is 2 blocks away. I have a choice to make.

I spring out of the mine and run for the apartment, bear close on my heels. He gets one swipe at me before I manage to climb up to safety.

I'm sitting in the apartment eating and drinking, start crafting some arrows to deal with the bear. Tryp comes back from scavenging and says "I don't see your bear, but there's a cop in the courtyard!"

Message pops up "Tryp has died."

She softly says, "... found your bear."

So i had built a base on one of those fishing shacks in the middle of a lake, up on the support pillars and dock. I went to leave my base one day and jumped over the railing and into the water.... however the water wasnt there. I went under water but nothing slowed me and i feel roughly 3 stories to the lakebed, breaking my legs and leaving me at 8hp. I drowned trying to swim back up. Stupid non-physical water :p

So i had built a base on one of those fishing shacks in the middle of a lake, up on the support pillars and dock. I went to leave my base one day and jumped over the railing and into the water.... however the water wasnt there. I went under water but nothing slowed me and i feel roughly 3 stories to the lakebed, breaking my legs and leaving me at 8hp. I drowned trying to swim back up. Stupid non-physical water :p

Trolled by water? That's awesome! =P

Well, at least your legs were healed after you came back. But that story is hilarious!

forgetting you were standing on the drawbridge and trying to close it, thus landing yourself on spikes and barbed wire 8 deep....

Falling into your own open free-fall pit while coming back with an inventory full of sand and small stones to make even more concrete is close, but I think you win, Slicks. ;)

Ugh so i have a new one....

Last nite a buddy of mine and i were playing in survival. We came across a radio tower and i had the BRILLIANT idea of hacking it down to harvest all of the iron, which on paper sounded amazing. So we begin to hack away at the supports and as soon as i take my final one out i look to my buddy whos just finishing his. I started shouting RUN RUN RUN but it was way too late. The entire tower came down on our heads killing us both! xD

On the upside though once we went back and got our bags, all the iron left behind from the collapse combine with the base supports gave us around 300 iron... so theres that

So many, I'm starting to lose count

1) so, first time ever playing the game, I totally ignore the quests that will get me trifling rewards like clothes, tools, weapons, and teaching me how to craft. I wander around, poking at trash piles, collect some pretty interesting stuff I have no idea what to do with. Then night starts to fall and I take shelter in a cabin and decided to stand, shivering very quietly in the corner by the fireplace, trying not to be noticed. It turns out zombies can smell you and can break down damaged wooden doors without much effort. I fought bravely with my fists, even killing a couple, until they overwhelmed me.

2) Later on, after crafting a bow, I was bemoaning the fact that I was having a hard time successfully hunting. Then I spot a bear in the distance. I reason to myself, "I bet bears drop a lot of meat." So, I sneak up on it, shoot it with my trusty wooden bow and stone arrow, then panic sets in as I realize what I've done. Luckily, I was close to my house. Unfortunately, my fingers tripped over one another trying to close the door behind me, and the bear rudely invited himself in.

3) I started playing smarter after that... heh. My base is a prefab in the pine forest east of the big lake. I modified it, removing all doors and sealing the first floor. I modified the back steps into a ramp with a 2-block gap to the second floor. The house is surrounded by spikes and log spikes. Usually, I'm pretty agile as I leap across the gap, but after 2 or 3 times when I misjudged my footing, I decided to place hay bales under the gap.

I'm coming up on day 35 and I've just finished digging out a basement under the house and plan to dig a spike trench around the house to make a kill/loot room. I expect many learning opportunities along the way.

Archived