7DTD Darwin Awards

Clare

I discovered a military camp in the snow biome, obviously ringed by a mine field as the lumberjack zombies were setting them off walking around it. So... So obvious.

So what do I do? Brainiac me - I go running up to a gap in the perimeter... and boom.

That's how I died my very first time playing. Damn Army Recon Camp was too enticing not to investigate it.

I needed rocks to finish building something DURING THE NIGHT...

So I went outside in complete darkness .started to mine the first rock I saw but it wasnt a rock but a bear!! I Died instantly!!

OMG this happened to me too all I could think as it malled me was "DAMN FAT ♥♥♥ bear looked like a boulder"

This probably doesn't count as I didn't die.

I got past the 49 day horde, and decided to hit the junk yard down in the Desert. I hung around pretty late looting so I had to spend the night. I didn't destroy the stairs sufficiently to the second floor, and after day 49, I got the endless horde bug. So I suddenly had police and lot of pissed off zombies able to climb up to the second floor. I escaped to the roof and they couldn't path up there. I though that I would do some grinding, so I made a chest and tried to place it. Turns out, the roof over the main garage has just enough structural support so adding something causes it to collapse.

Luckily, I landed on the metal truss that was over the massive pit of death. Then because I decided that I hadn't lived on the edge enough, I went back to the second floor to try and get a better shot at the zombies. Suddenly, a feral managed to double jump and was on the same floor as me.

Ever tried to kite a feral around a rooftop with no railings? I managed to kill him, but it was a very near thing.

Second Effort: I took over the church (south west of Diresville) and because I like to do things big, I put a wall all around the graveyard and out the front. It's made of the 50 concrete pillars so I can attack the zombies between them. The only problem is that my three forges and one mixer attract a lot of screamers. And screamers, when they summon a horde, can summon them on any non-player blocks. Which includes the large amounts of dirt that exist inside my compound. And that is how I encountered my first zombie bear.

Luckily it was at day time so I could kite it around and a purple shotgun does do a decent amount of damage.

So, I've learnt (again), not to run forges in any sort of quantity until you have spikes so screamers die if they arrive. I also think that I need to dig up the graveyard and replace the dirt with player blocks.

I went into town looting trying to get some new weapon parts, as I was going trough the town 3 zombie bears randomly spawned on front of me I ran to the destroyed building and placed wood frame to get onto second floor all I needed was one wood frame as it was 2 blocks high to get on, I removed the wood frame and one of the bears started to hit the block. So I thought I can kill him from the top, as I went above him standing at the block he was hitting, the block broke and I fell down on top of him and he ate me with help of other zombies. I came back got my stuff and when I ran home I had 1 hour before the 70 day horde I forgot I placed mines around my base and I ran into them I was in such a hurry that I died 3 times running onto my own mines and all health I built up just went down in 2 minutes that it took me 70 days/hours to build up. At least I made it home before the horde came.

I think the best death I had was I was on the mini Bike and I was riding across a bridge and the bridge collapsed on me an i landed in the river below, best part is me landing in the water didnt kill me it was the whole bridge that collapsed on me after I landed in the water.

I decided to build a death pit of doom. Mine as it turned out. I happily dig down and I'm laying out frames to plan it out. Suddenly I hear a noise. I thought it was a dog. Sounded strange but maybe the update gave it a new noise..... Turn around and there's a bear behind me. It had fallen into my pit, in my horror I selected my shovel instead of my club and started swatting it with that. Turns out bears don't like being hit with shovels and I died in one swat.

"Supply drop incoming! Who's with me?" I yelled.

"I'm in!" one survivor says.

Knowing little of Navesgane, we were both fairly new to the game at the time, we set the drop on our compass and B-Line for it.

The drop had landed near a quaint military installment.

"If night falls and we don't feel we have the time to return to our base we can chill here."

"Hey bro, did you see these land mines?"

"NO"

"It's cool, we can pick them up!"

"Oh, okay."

We proceed to gather up all the mines we could see, or so we thought!

"Okay, got em all. We have time, lets start heading back."

I start running, my fellow survivor yells for me to "Hold up" for a second, and as I stopped running I turned around to see where he was (all while back-peddling), and found the "last mine".........BOOM. I'm done.

"Hey can you grab my bag and toss the stuff in a chest, and I'll run back under nightfall to get it and hold out there then?"

"Sure"..........BOOOM "Damn"

"Okay, think we found them all now!"

After playing co-op on Navezgane, I decided that I wanted to try a solo random gen map. I started off in the desert and found a road and while traveling towards 0,0, I went down every dirt path I could find. Other than the occasional car, the paths led to nothing.

So I kept collecting, figuring I could just walk through the night since I wasn't finding any prefabs to make camp. No big, it's just the first night, right? My can of food and bottle of water will surely see me to the city by the next day. I managed to score a deer the next day, found a couple of tin cans, and a river. But sadly with the food, zombies started to flock towards me. 'I can handle this', I said to myself. Though without any medicine, I didn't want to risk infection, but surely my trusty bow will see me out of jams.

.... until I backed into a bear and ended up very, very dead.

I respawned further away from the hub city. Bummer. Ah well, I still had most of my water and my food and nothing in my tool belt that I couldn't easy replace at that point.

But then, while filling up water one of the game freezes happened. I didn't realize it and double tapped left trigger thusly drinking contaminated water and contracting dysentery. Without medicine and no cooking pot to make suitable tea, I ventured on, hoping to find anything that might help.

Air drop? No luck only schematics.

Nurse zombies? Splints and cloth bandages only.

All the other zombies? I had a stack of moldy sham sandwiches!

But it's fine. Surely once I get to the city I'll find something.

I died - again - in view of the city from dysentery with a pack of zombies bearing down on my position.

After respawing even further away from the hub city, I have yet to re open that map.

I had been experimenting with tnt and placed a few inside a cage I built so I didn't have to try and beat the walls down. Figured it would be a quick way to clear a structure for rebuild.

Only problem was I placed a few on the under the roof (looking up and attempting to place them on the roof) and a few on the floor. Apparently I blocked myself from being able to exit. When I tried to use a shovel to break the tnt (since you can't pick it up after the placed it seems) it triggered the tnt with myself inside and took out half of my tower. Apparently tnt is more powerful then I expected, especially if it's in an enclosed environment haha. Was still hilarious to watch especially for my buddy looking in the cage at me at the time haha.

My own spikes. Always my own spikes...

I picked the game up about a week before the Patch 2 bugs so I don't have as much time in as most (until the next patch ;)) but seriously, leave a gap between your outside row of spikes and your exterior wall, 'cause otherwise you fall in, run around looking for a way out, can't build wood frame steps to get out, take damage the whole time, oh yeah, don't forget bleeding, WHERE'S MY DANG AXE!?!?!?!?! Respawn, die twice more just trying to pick up my pack :( [Zombies pointing and laughing in the background...]

Other than that, my best is:

See chicken, get excited!

Run at chicken with club, gotta get those feathers!

Musta hit a cactus, took a little damage?

OMG RADIATION ZONE NOOOOOOOO!

Respawn, drink beer so I can run about 2.5km to get my awesome gear before night....

My bag is just far enough out to run up, spam grab stuff, run back and die just on the edge of the radiation zone

Repeat about three more time and all my wellness is gone, but I got my dang stuff back!

......but not chicken feathers......

Physics

I do not die often. It happens, but I am normally a pretty safe survivor. Don't deal with hoards that are too big, avoid the bears like the plague... especially the plagued bears, always make sure you have a safe way out of a cave, and so on.

Now I can honestly say that the majority of all my deaths have been due to not understanding, and/or just plain out forgetting the physics of this game. Playing to much Minecraft I guess...

My roommate and I took over a radio tower in a Random Gen Map. I claimed the multi story building, while she took the smaller and the underground. Well, while clearing out the buildings of all their precious iron, I forgot physics. Looked straight up into an air vent to mine it down... immediately crushed by its falling brethren. I refused to tell my roommate what happened. I could only laugh and say physics.

Most recently, we discovered a bunker! Yay! safe place to be our home away from home while we loot the main city near by. Now, as I stated earlier, I like to be a safe survivor, and as most of us know, Bunkers have 1 entrance/exit. This did not sit well with me. So! I decide to put a ladder up to the vent above the kitchen area. My thinking that I can put a steel hatch over the hole and have a safe way to run if needed... I forgot about the iron plate covering the bars on the outside. I had enough time when the iron bars disappear to just shake my head and wait for the my roommate to say "Did you just die?!"

Shades that was too cool...

Whether it was a bug that got you, a lapse in judgement or a pipe bomb you didn't know how to throw, the 7DTD Darwin Awards are for all the deaths you would rather didn't happen, but were still spectacular anyway.

So tell your tale, what makes you eligible for an Award?

One of my now deleted scenarios, I salvaged sunglasses from a pile of garbage near my spawn point (Shades that make me look cool...) which I equipped immediately. Well It was in a winter biome area and since I was very new to the game, not knowing the clothing problem with 'feels like' temperatures wearing various items that would make it fluctuate greatly, well that toon still frozen on the road I was following...:smow:

Smartest thing ever

Well...back when i was "rookie" in this game i found 12 locked safes. I was low on hp and it was night so i decided to put one mine on the door so the zombies wouldn't stand a chance surprising me. 30 seconds later i hear zombie voices and ofcourse i go look whats going on and step on my own mine... :uncomfortableness:

Also i found this army base or whatever that was crowded with mines. Ofcourse zombies stun me and i jump straight to the mine. Well.. i ran back (which took forever) to get my bag. I was about to loot my bag & ofcourse the zombies stunned me again and i tried to fight back while running backwards.. and boom next thing you know i exploded AGAIN

Gone... all of it

Recently started a new world with my roommate. Started off in a great snow biome. Coal and Nitrate everywhere! Knowing how important it was going to be later. I gathered a ♥♥♥♥ ton of it while getting my basics done. Later I placed all of my made gun powder into a chest on top of a wooden frame.

I tried to go into my chest, but apparently was looking to much toward the wooden frame. I picked it up instead, and could only watch in horror as the chest fell and shattered. Over 2000 gun powder, 4 cooking pots, a fully made shot gun, plus countless bullet casings and lead tips collected, gone... all gone.

Needless to say, the zombies ate well that night. I couldn't even stand the zombie apocalypses with myself at that moment.

Haven't figured out how to tell the roomie yet >.>

I might be dying again soon.

Bit of a Prolog to this one but stay with me I promise its good.

On my first try on RandomGen I make a few bases that do well but after day 30 or so the hordes are getting so big they my little started base isn't enough to last the night. Next I start a larger two floor base next to the water to keep zombies off my back. The only problem with the location is there is a hill in front that hides the zombies until the are almost on top of me. So having a good base built an not willing to do it all over again I start digging away at that hill. I get to clearing the hill away with a shovel an I start to notice a few strange things going on: surface textures from the ground start the stretch where they should be reaching and I seem to hit an invisible walls while trying to navigate around where the hill used to be.

Well, no matter. "If I hit the invisible walls then so will the zombies." I say.

I keep going. (This has taken several in game days to do so I have confirmed that zombies do indeed hit the invisible walls that clearing the hill has created.) More strangeness has begun to happen. In the cleared out area I have decided to plant crops. (it's clear, it's flat and it's next to my base) The plants only stay in strange patterns in the soil. There are places in the tilled soil where I plant things and the plant just goes "I don't wanna" and disappear. Whatever, I keep clearing.

By now I am in need of more iron for raw materials for continuing to build my base and the walls around it. I leave to go mine rocks on the surface and when I come back the hill that I have painstakingly tried to clear has not only vanished but it has also taken away part of my garden. I have I giant pit of "nothing" in front of my base.

I am overjoyed. I now have the perfect "pit fall" trap for future hordes.

I continue to build, now utilizing this glitch in the floor to make a pit to funnel zombies into. My first horde night with the glitch goes swimmingly I just sit and watch as zombie after zombie sprint head first into nothingness and disappear from sight. A few zombies make it around the trap but nothing a cross bow can't fix.

(I should note at this time that again this is my first time playing 7DTD. I have not found a town or the city in the center of the map. It is day 45 and I have not gotten more than a few gun parts from supply drops and am completely dependent on my cross bow for ranged attacks. I didn't know the wrench was a tool I could craft and had not found the crafting recipe for the hammer, wrench or any weapon beside the rocket launcher or the SMG. I had to set the zombie spawn rate to 50 just so I stopped dying long enough to loot all the parts I needed for my mini bike.)

After my first of (what I thought would be) many successful horde nights I gear up on my mini bike to do some exploring and head off. I find my first town and am ecstatic. I loot that sucker like a bandit after a riot and load up my bike with all the gun parts I found in the gun store to make room for all the food I got from the supermarket. It gets to be late and I head back for base as night settles.

I have completely forgotten about my genius, glitch exploiting pit fall.

My mini bike hits the edge of the glitch like a wall but do I fall to my death? No, I rise gently like a balloon. I panic and jump from my bike and fall far enough to break both of my legs and die. After I respawn I look out the window of my base and I can see my bike float away like child's lost balloon at Disney World, and it takes all my joy (and guns) with it.

TL;DR: I glitch a pit into my game by accident, used it like a pit fall for zombies, forgot about it, ran my mini bike into it, died and lost a bunch of guns I had just looted.

What an elaborate way of shooting yourself in the foot.

I approve! LOL

Yeah. It took me such a long time to get that mini bike I gave up on that save file and started over.

That and everything I did to add to my base would randomly change the pit. Sometimes when I added to the wall around the base I noticed the pit would flicker and sometimes it would be bigger and I would go back and remove stuff from the wall and the pit would shrink again. I was scared of adding too much around it in case I triggered something that made it eat my base.

I had built my first minibike on the InsaneHCA14 seed map and decided to ride as far as I could just finding cities. After riding through 5 towns plus a 0,0 hub city, I head south east running into 3 towns. At this point I'm feeling like Darryl Dixon, riding past hordes of zombies I plan on hunting down after my road trip.

I ride to the end of a major road on a mountain (which should have been a clue this was bad), at night of all things. All of a sudden I'm in the greenest damn area I've ever seen and my life is plummeting. I turn a 180, screaming oh ♥♥♥♥ continuously and bolt toward the edge of the radiation zone which ended at the edge of the mountain. I die and Superman off the minibike at this point. Before the screen turns blood red, it's a race between the bike and my superhero corpse to see who hits the bottom. Of the hill first. I both won and lost that fateful day.

Crying

I needed rocks to finish building something DURING THE NIGHT...

So I went outside in complete darkness .started to mine the first rock I saw but it wasnt a rock but a bear!! I Died instantly!!

Mining a bear... omg this made me laugh so hard I'm in tears. How many pick swings did you get in before it noticed and killed you? lol

So I got a new one from last night.

I was feeling good about my game and decided to increase the difficulty and extend the day/night cycle to 120 minutes. Night falls and I get out my shot gun and mining cap and head out to look for some zombies to see how the higher difficulty changed things. Not more than a hundred feet way from my front door and I see a bear, an undead bear and the bugger sees me and I take off back to my base with it chasing me. None of the spikes or traps slow it down since it is literally right behind me and when I try to shut the door in its face I end up locking myself inside my base with the bear. I unload my shot gun and before I can reload or run back outside I have been mauled to death.

Upon respawning upstairs I grab a hodge-podge of weapons I've collected but don't regularly use and the assorted ammo and rain lead down on the bear as it tears up my ladder for the second floor. Good times, good times.

Archived