V1.1 b14 Stable

7 hours ago, zztong said:

Personally, I don't typically undertake a quest of a high level POI because I don't like being restricted to the POI's footprint. I want to be able to take stuff back to base, flee to adjoining properties, deal with wandering hordes ... or even just quit playing and come back later. Those larger POIs come with a significant time investment when I want to solo-stealth them well.

Same here. Sometimes I just go looting without necessarily taking a job first.

Has anything been changed to the zombie animals in 1.1? I've already had several situations where animals didn't move forward. Gracie, for example, didn't come out of her cave but had the walking animation. It was like she was stuck.

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Has anything been changed to the zombie animals in 1.1? I've already had several situations where animals didn't move forward. Gracie, for example, didn't come out of her cave but had the walking animation. It was like she was stuck.

I haven't noticed anything like that. Just the Crawlers suddenly teleporting forward (in the direction they're facing, not necessarily towards the player) when hit with any sort of damaging attack for the first time.

15 hours ago, Riamus said:

I haven't ever even checked to see the quick swap key for this game and haven't ever used it or accidentally triggered it. 

By default, it's the 4th or 5th mouse button. I always forget about it, and it's easier to switch to a weapon with a number button. And I can switch to a tool with the wheel.

im using a SteelSeries Rival300 mouse. 

it is a few years old now so i will get a test program and see if the mouse is phantom triggering. 

Its easy to reproduce hold w to go forward and then quickly flick the mouse left and right and watch the quick select icon move back and forth on your tool belt. 

My mouse doesnt have left and right on the scroll wheel only press down and i am not even touching the scroll wheel when this happens. 

I nearly died in a level 2 infested quest yesterday cause the damn thing kept changing back to my pipe machine gun which was broken and i didnt have pipes to repair it... 

But the quick select key has been unassigned. it has no binding so there should be nothing to trigger it . i hate it any way and want to disable it entirely.

EDIT: i have tested the mouse with online testers and with the steel series software, no ammount of banging the mouse gets it to false trigger a button. so it definitely is a 7DTD thing.  no probs with Skyrim or any other game or software...

Edited by spud42 (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, spud42 said:

im using a SteelSeries Rival300 mouse. 

it is a few years old now so i will get a test program and see if the mouse is phantom triggering. 

Its easy to reproduce hold w to go forward and then quickly flick the mouse left and right and watch the quick select icon move back and forth on your tool belt. 

My mouse doesnt have left and right on the scroll wheel only press down and i am not even touching the scroll wheel when this happens. 

I nearly died in a level 2 infested quest yesterday cause the damn thing kept changing back to my pipe machine gun which was broken and i didnt have pipes to repair it... 

But the quick select key has been unassigned. it has no binding so there should be nothing to trigger it . i hate it any way and want to disable it entirely.

EDIT: i have tested the mouse with online testers and with the steel series software, no ammount of banging the mouse gets it to false trigger a button. so it definitely is a 7DTD thing.  no probs with Skyrim or any other game or software...

I would suggest binding quick select to a button you won’t press inadvertently. It’s a pretty common bug in games for unbound actions to revert to the default key. Obviously TFP needs to fix this but in the meanwhile you can save yourself some suffering by binding it to a key your fingers never touch. 

Started 7D for the first time with the 1.0 release on PS5. Was enjoyable up until terrible fps performance issue making it unplayable.

Anyone know if this patch fix this issue? Don’t want to redownload it again if it’s not fixed yet.

1 hour ago, floW_ said:

Started 7D for the first time with the 1.0 release on PS5. Was enjoyable up until terrible fps performance issue making it unplayable.

Anyone know if this patch fix this issue? Don’t want to redownload it again if it’s not fixed yet.

One of the Devs was talking about performance optimizations probably coming in 1.2 (next patch).  However, you have to accept that this game may never meet your standards for playability.  Because this game is voxel based and every block is destroyable both the environment and the AI/entity pathing are computationally expensive. At the end of the day this game can only be so performant given the type of game and the game engine (Unity). Theoretically, a game studio could build a custom engine that would perform better and permit more zombies on the screen at one time but that would require way more money, resources, etc. than small game studios generally have. In short, you really need to love the positives of the game enough that you are willing to accept its negatives. And sadly, performance is one of those negatives. 

12 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

One of the Devs was talking about performance optimizations probably coming in 1.2 (next patch).  However, you have to accept that this game may never meet your standards for playability.  Because this game is voxel based and every block is destroyable both the environment and the AI/entity pathing are computationally expensive. At the end of the day this game can only be so performant given the type of game and the game engine (Unity). Theoretically, a game studio could build a custom engine that would perform better and permit more zombies on the screen at one time but that would require way more money, resources, etc. than small game studios generally have. In short, you really need to love the positives of the game enough that you are willing to accept its negatives. And sadly, performance is one of those negatives. 

This is utter BS. A game must have enough optimization to be (at least) playable anywhere in the game world. If it's not, it needs to be fixed.

On 10/9/2024 at 2:31 PM, spud42 said:

so it definitely is a 7DTD thing. 

If this were a game problem, you wouldn't be the only one with it. However, no one else has voiced such a problem. Check your system, it could be a hardware problem, or it could be a software problem.

8 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

This is utter BS. A game must have enough optimization to be (at least) playable anywhere in the game world. If it's not, it needs to be fixed.

"Playability" is subjective. Everyone has their own thresholds for what they find playable.  Some might be fine with 30 fps others might demand 60 fps. I have no idea what the poster I was responding to considers playable and I also have no idea what they were doing in game when it became unplayable to them. If that poster's expectation is for there to be minimal frame drops in a skyscraper or in a densely packed downtown area, for example, I don't see that happening--especially not on a console. Personally, I find the frame drops in downtown areas to be approaching my limit for playability and I play on a recently built and relatively high-end PC. But I am particularly sensitive to frame drops and wouldn't consider myself representative of the player base. Regardless, I keep playing because I really enjoy the game.

More importantly there is an outer limit to how much optimization can be done. I don't know what that limit is but my sense is that we are fast approaching it. My experience with CPU heavy games made in Unity is that they all suffer from significant performance issues as soon as there are a large amount of entities the game needs to keep track of. And it is very possible that any optimizations that are made in the near future will be offset by the introduction of bandits.  There is no way to know whether bandits will be more computationally expensive than zombies. It's all possible that if bandits are added without a reduction to the number of zombies that the additional load in and of itself will be enough to offset any performance increases. 

1 hour ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

"Playability" is subjective. Everyone has their own thresholds for what they find playable.  Some might be fine with 30 fps others might demand 60 fps. I have no idea what the poster I was responding to considers playable and I also have no idea what they were doing in game when it became unplayable to them. If that poster's expectation is for there to be minimal frame drops in a skyscraper or in a densely packed downtown area, for example, I don't see that happening--especially not on a console. Personally, I find the frame drops in downtown areas to be approaching my limit for playability and I play on a recently built and relatively high-end PC. But I am particularly sensitive to frame drops and wouldn't consider myself representative of the player base. Regardless, I keep playing because I really enjoy the game.

More importantly there is an outer limit to how much optimization can be done. I don't know what that limit is but my sense is that we are fast approaching it. My experience with CPU heavy games made in Unity is that they all suffer from significant performance issues as soon as there are a large amount of entities the game needs to keep track of. And it is very possible that any optimizations that are made in the near future will be offset by the introduction of bandits.  There is no way to know whether bandits will be more computationally expensive than zombies. It's all possible that if bandits are added without a reduction to the number of zombies that the additional load in and of itself will be enough to offset any performance increases. 

yes been experience fps drops throughout the whole world regardless of location. Hit and miss just running around to random less populated spots but extensively much worse in and near any POI tier 4 or higher…

I understand this game is still in Beta and there’s a lot of fix happening so to speak. Bugs and glitches can be fine to deal with those type of problems and still enjoy the game. But anything relating to performance issue such as lag, server disconnections or fps drops, imho should be the number 1 priority for some sort of solution.

If console port just ain’t powerful enough to handle these type of games, why publicly release it on these platforms? Regardless if it’s Beta or not.

It’s not even a glitch or a bug that the developers couldn’t find out without extensive playtime (I guess that’s what the public beta release is for). But for this issue, all they had to do is load up a test run, go to a POI tier 4 or higher and would have noticed a huge performance issue. This is when something should have been worked on before proceeding further. It’s pretty mind blowing if you ask me.

Edited by floW_ (see edit history)

TFP have said many times that while they do some work on optimization, they are not going to do too heavy of such work until the content is essentially locked.  That can be interpreted as after bandits, weather, storyline, etc are at least in the game.  Some more optimizations are currently in the works but some will likely wait a bit.

1 hour ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

"Playability" is subjective.

I would tend to disagree, that is if for playability you mean literally "being able to play the game".

I'll give you a few examples:

1. If the game stutters it's unplayable
  2. If you get random freezes during gameplay and get killed because of that, the game is not playable
  3. If in a skyscraper the framerate gets so low that you can't actually play at normal speed, the game is unplayable

Now I'll give you a few examples of what you meant (probably):

1. You enjoy fighting but you want more responsiveness, but the game feels "clunky" (still playable)
  2. You travel with you vehicle from town to town but the speed feels too low (still playable)
  3. You want horde night to be epic, but the number of zombies is too limited for you (still playable)

That's the difference for me between playable and "playable". ;) 

I do agree though, that playable is subjective.  I've seen people on here saying the game isn't playable because they are getting around 80 FPS (I forget the numbers they were using, but it was something like that) when they expected 144.  While I play the game at 30 FPS and don't mind it at all. 

But that also has to do with whether or not the frame rate is steady.  I can get 60, but it tends to be a rollercoaster between 40-60 and that is very noticeable and is unplayable imo.  But by limiting to half vsync in settings, I get a steady 30, which is much better even though it is lower FPS.

What I get is very blocky loading of stuff in large cities when driving a vehicle, especially after I have recently done a tier 5 POI.  No problems walking out fighting... Just driving.  If I had that all the time and not only driving in a big city, I would find it unplayable.  But with it limited to only that, it is bearable, though hardly enjoyable.

I don't know what settings console players have, but I'm sure there is a way to improve stuttering or lag.  However, they are aware that there is slight freezing (stuttering) when the console saves.  Maybe they can fix that, or maybe that will always be an issue with how consoles save.

On 10/10/2024 at 11:53 PM, floW_ said:

Have you tried the Enable Graphics Jobs Multithreading (Same as the Yakov's Performance Mod)
Option from the 7 Days to Die Launcher?

In Steam [7 Days to Die] right-click Properties/General/Launch Options Tab - pick Show Game Launcher.
Then check the box Enable Graphics Jobs - Run & Save as default.

1 hour ago, Rooster Gold said:

Have you tried the Enable Graphics Jobs Multithreading (Same as the Yakov's Performance Mod)
Option from the 7 Days to Die Launcher?

In Steam [7 Days to Die] right-click Properties/General/Launch Options Tab - pick Show Game Launcher.
Then check the box Enable Graphics Jobs - Run & Save as default.

Not sure that Playstation has that option.  That was supposed to have been changed to default for PC, so if it's available on PS5 (even if you can't change it), it probably is already enabled.

On 10/9/2024 at 4:31 AM, spud42 said:

Interesting. 

Something like this happens to me sometimes. It's rare, but it'll automatically switch to different things that are on my toolbar. I never made note if it were the quick swap items. I was thinking it was my fault because I handle my mouse like a gorilla...but it never happened in A21, and I was as much of a gorilla then as I am now.

Edited by Arez (see edit history)

Any news on the various reports that in b14 zombie's have Parkour 2 - i.e. they can now reliably jump 2 blocks high AND grab the bottom rungs of ladders 2 blocks high without any help from other zeds (i.e. no stack is required)?

It's been confirmed in multiple test videos, so is this intentional or a bug?

@zztong

Personally, I don't typically undertake a quest of a high level POI because I don't like being restricted to the POI's footprint. I want to be able to take stuff back to base, flee to adjoining properties, deal with wandering hordes ... or even just quit playing and come back later.

I agree, I use the trader quest until opening up a bicycle. Then, I do partial POI's
using stealth, rudimentary gear and sweep and clear tactics from a vantage point, I sometimes
make all the noise I can to wake the last of the zombies to gain a preset vantage point, then
clear them. All the while I keep a dump box and campfire cooking hunted game in the street.

Some times I get caught there late, and since I have my world set to dark, I camp out in
the poi posting torches, while I continue to clear it. The next morning I go back to my main base

and source through my loot, sell what I don't need, and keep the rest.

Makes it involving for me.

Fixed the mouse problem.. 

when using the Steel Series software to test the mouse it complained about "Enhance pointer precision" being on.

didnt think i had it on as i usually dont. 

Well it was on and so i turned it off. Maybe a windows update turned it back on??

TL/DR.....  played for 8 hours on sunday and didnt have the issue...  

Weird but it was easy to reproduce. so apologies to TFP it is not a 7DTD issue .

25 minutes ago, spud42 said:

when using the Steel Series software

I haven't used additional programs for the mouse and keyboard for over 20 years, and I advise you to do the same.

I often had problems with them, either a conflict with the next system update, or it doesn't work normally in games. And in MMORPGs, people often get banned because of such programs. Especially if the software allows you to program buttons for a sequence of actions. Often, anti-cheat programs recognize such things as software interference.

On 10/15/2024 at 12:31 AM, Suxar said:

I haven't used additional programs for the mouse and keyboard for over 20 years, and I advise you to do the same.

I often had problems with them, either a conflict with the next system update, or it doesn't work normally in games. And in MMORPGs, people often get banned because of such programs. Especially if the software allows you to program buttons for a sequence of actions. Often, anti-cheat programs recognize such things as software interference.

i only have 2 buttons on the side of the mouse 1 button is mapped to 2 and the other to 5.  2 is where my crossbow is and 5 is my backup weapon. 

i only used the software to test the mouse. buttons are mapped in the driver.

10 hours ago, LowfDog said:

Has there been any update on the drawbridge bug where on a dedicated server the drawbridge doesn't come down but the supports do?  It's really irritating trying to design a legit non horde-only base when the drawbridge isn't usable.

I don't have quite that bug (the supports) but there is most definitely something screwy with the drawbridge on dedicated server; 2 of us playing, huge, deep moat around the base.. and a drawbridge; weighted down with an almost full backpack, being chased by screamers and zeds, try to open the drawbridge ie bring it down to cross, and most times you try, it flicks back up in the air (with the supports ie it looks correct but acts basically like a trampoline, except with certain and painful death ) ; very annoying bug, i had to stop using the drawbridge and use blocks to get across the moat instead

..last time we played, it "seemed" to open and close correctly from the base side, but didn't have chance to fully prove it as got too irritated

Edited by GigglingZombie (see edit history)