A16 Valmod Pack

Valmar

Ok, Thank You Valmar and Thomas Kirkl!

As far as the mod is concerned, i have installed the expansion and I noticed that even basic items such as wooden bow or wood frame are locked while with the "lite" version of the mod i used to play with they weren't. Did you increase the number of necessary recipes compared to the lite version? If so, I think it's quite difficult to play given the necessary survivor notes don't drop so easily and zombies are quite hard to kill without a bow...

Thanks for your kind answers, keep up the good work!

That shouldn't be possible if you're using the Valmod Expansion. It has no locked vanilla recipes. I even double checked to make sure I didn't missing the bow. You might have grabbed the Overhaul by mistake.

Valmar, while I was playing a noticed that there was no restriction on iron arrows and bolts and thought it odd. I then went through the crafting menu (just the player one, not the ones that require stations or forge) and found other oddities that I thought I'd put up. This way you can go through them and gated the ones you think should be gated.

Building

Log Cabin Wood Block

Secure Wood Door

Wooden Hatch

Wooden Ladder

Workbench (Good item for the builder to start with?)

Desk Safe (Gated Behind Materials)

Gun Safe (Gated Behind Materials)

Metal Ladder (Gated Behind Materials)

Scrap Iron Hatch

Vault Door (Gated Behind Materials)

Vault Hatch (Gated Behind Materials)

Ammo\Weapons

Healing Dart (Good item for the medic to start with)

Iron Arrow (Gated Behind Forge but still build able due to the arrowheads being loot-able)

Iron Crossbow Bolt (Gated Behind Forge but still build able due to the arrowheads being loot-able)

Repair Kit (Gated Behind Materials)

Steel Arrow (Gated Behind Forge but still build able due to the arrowheads being loot-able)

Steel Crossbow Bolt (Gated Behind Forge but still build able due to the arrowheads being loot-able)

Tools\Traps

Bucket (Gated Behind Materials)

Medicine

Aloe Cream (Good item for the medic to start with)

Decor\Miscellaneous

Cabinet Top

Wooden Desk

Awning Red

Awning Red Ramp

Cabinet

Camo Netting (Good item for the soldier to start with)

Camo Netting Block (Good item for the soldier to start with)

Camo Netting Corner (Good item for the soldier to start with)

Camo Netting Ramp (Good item for the soldier to start with)

Flour

Iron Desk (Gated Behind Materials)

Iron Table (Gated Behind Materials)

Tanning Rack (Good item for the Hunter to start with)

Thank you very much for the effort you put into that, Tilarium. I always welcome the feedback.

Firstly I just want to point that one reason why some recipes may not themselves be locked but rather locked by a material, as you noticed, is because the longer the list of recipes locked behind books the more lag is introduced to the inventory. This was very apparent in A13's build when I had all the individual recipes locked.

So for example the desk safes and vault door. These are not themselves directly locked behind a recipe. But an ingredient to craft them, gearMechanism, is locked. This was my artificial way of locking down these recipes behind a book without directly locking down individual recipes. Yes, they are "unlocked" recipes free for all but to craft them you need an item you can only craft if you know the recipe. This cuts down the needed locked recipes down to just the gear.

Again these types of decisions were made primarily to reduce any lag or stutter from overwhelming the engine or whatever.

Log cabin wood I kept free on purpose. Mainly as a test to see how it works out. Though if it makes things too "easy" for non-builder class players I will gladly lock it back. Just need to get more feedback. It might indeed make it too easy since you can upgrade them.

The doors and hatches were more or less the same. Though in hindsight they should at least be locked behind the workbench. I will amend that.

Healing dart should be at least partially gated by the fact that it requires healingAgent which can only be crafted if you know the recipe. It is true that you can find this in medical cabinets but its not that big of a stretch for me to assume this is something anyone can craft. Since all you're doing is filling the dart with the agent. Thus I dont think darts themselves should be locked - just the agents that make them. Also the Medic class should already start with a few healing darts.

Iron arrows and bolts I had not necessarily considered, I admit, but they do fall, in my eyes, in the same area as the gears. I'm okay with them not being specifically locked since they are gated by their material.

Awning and camo are intentionally left free. They're pretty much only good for decoration anyway, they don't offer any significant protection.

I didn't realize flour was misc. I'll add it to the resources category.

Hunter starting with a tanning rack is a great idea, I'll add that in.

Thank you for the feedback, its apprecited.

Thank you very much for the effort you put into that, Tilarium. I always welcome the feedback.

Firstly I just want to point that one reason why some recipes may not themselves be locked but rather locked by a material, as you noticed, is because the longer the list of recipes locked behind books the more lag is introduced to the inventory. This was very apparent in A13's build when I had all the individual recipes locked.

So for example the desk safes and vault door. These are not themselves directly locked behind a recipe. But an ingredient to craft them, gearMechanism, is locked. This was my artificial way of locking down these recipes behind a book without directly locking down individual recipes. Yes, they are "unlocked" recipes free for all but to craft them you need an item you can only craft if you know the recipe. This cuts down the needed locked recipes down to just the gear.

Again these types of decisions were made primarily to reduce any lag or stutter from overwhelming the engine or whatever.

Log cabin wood I kept free on purpose. Mainly as a test to see how it works out. Though if it makes things too "easy" for non-builder class players I will gladly lock it back. Just need to get more feedback. It might indeed make it too easy since you can upgrade them.

The doors and hatches were more or less the same. Though in hindsight they should at least be locked behind the workbench. I will amend that.

Healing dart should be at least partially gated by the fact that it requires healingAgent which can only be crafted if you know the recipe. It is true that you can find this in medical cabinets but its not that big of a stretch for me to assume this is something anyone can craft. Since all you're doing is filling the dart with the agent. Thus I dont think darts themselves should be locked - just the agents that make them. Also the Medic class should already start with a few healing darts.

Iron arrows and bolts I had not necessarily considered, I admit, but they do fall, in my eyes, in the same area as the gears. I'm okay with them not being specifically locked since they are gated by their material.

Awning and camo are intentionally left free. They're pretty much only good for decoration anyway, they don't offer any significant protection.

I didn't realize flour was misc. I'll add it to the resources category.

Hunter starting with a tanning rack is a great idea, I'll add that in.

Thank you for the feedback, its apprecited.

to answer your earlier question.

I'd go with

ValMOD complete Overhaul

and

ValMOD vanilla Extention

this naming scheme should prevent any and all confusions I believe :)

I tried going back to vanilla since you needed a while to get the pack back up.

Don't work. I'm spoiled now.

I'll try the beta - see if I can add anything usefull to the comments. Migfht be a while. Heavy work day tomorrow and a move the day after. o/

B

I tried going back to vanilla since you needed a while to get the pack back up.

Don't work. I'm spoiled now.

I'll try the beta - see if I can add anything usefull to the comments. Migfht be a while. Heavy work day tomorrow and a move the day after. o/

B

Just to clarify the mod is no longer in "beta". Its all "official" now.

Hi Thomas and thanks for your answer to my noob question above. Where are you playing 7 Days with Valmod? Do you play SP or MP? It seems there are not many servers atm and i will gladly join a MP server...

Thank You!

I play on SP for now but im gonna be playing on multiplayer in the future.

Just to clarify the mod is no longer in "beta". Its all "official" now.

that kewl.

I am running into some issues though. Following the instructions in the info, game throws up a command console during loading. When clicked away it freezes during "loading items".

Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

B

that kewl.

I am running into some issues though. Following the instructions in the info, game throws up a command console during loading. When clicked away it freezes during "loading items".

Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

B

Did you install the mod properly? Double check. If still you get error then i recommend you verify your game cache and after that try to install the mod again.

Did you install the mod properly? Double check. If still you get error then i recommend you verify your game cache and after that try to install the mod again.

thx for the quick response. I must have done something wrong, but don't knnow what. A manual cleanup of everything after deinstall fixed it.

Now to try and get in that compopack.

edit: problem of the null reff is in the compo pack - dont know yet if it onnly exists with valmod - or on its own to.

thx for the quick response. I must have done something wrong, but don't knnow what. A manual cleanup of everything after deinstall fixed it.

edit: problem of the null reff is in the compo pack - dont know yet if it onnly exists with valmod - or on its own to.

Ok good to know, I will try to install the compo pack right now to check. I will write back if I get the error or not.

Edit:

I think the compo pack is outdated. On their forum page it says that its for A 14.3

2. Ok I didint notice that theres a hotfix for it to get ir to work with A14.5 I will try to install the mod right now and see what I get.

Okay I reinstalled the Valmod Overhaul pack and after that compo-pack with the patch for A14.5 and my game works fine.

Ok good to know, I will try to install the compo pack right now to check. I will write back if I get the error or not.

Edit:

I think the compo pack is outdated. On their forum page it says that its for A 14.3

2. Ok I didint notice that theres a hotfix for it to get ir to work with A14.5 I will try to install the mod right now and see what I get.

Ran the test. full new install. Compo-pack alone (no valmod overhaul) with 14.5 rgw hotfix causes same crash.

So the problem is there, not in valmod.

Odd though no-one else theres commented. Prolly still me reading something different then intended....

B

edit: since it does work for you - can you explaim me how eexactly you are installing the compo-pack?

Ran the test. full new install. Compo-pack alone (no valmod overhaul) with 14.5 rgw hotfix causes same crash.

Odd though no-one else theres commented. Prolly still me reading something different then intended....

B

edit: since it does work for you - can you explaim me how eexactly you are installing the compo-pack?

Okey. All I did is I first installed the Valmod Overhaul pack by dragging Mods and Data folder to my main game directory.

After that I downloaded Compo-Pack A14.3 and opened it then went to data folder( not Data) and then dragged Prefabs folder to my Data folder.

Then I downloaded the fix and dragged it to my Config folder and replaced the default rwgmixer.xml

Done

- - - Updated - - -

B

You might have made a mistake by dragging the folder called data to your game and because it was called data not Data thats why you got the error.

Okey. All I did is I first installed the Valmod Overhaul pack by dragging Mods and Data folder to my main game directory.

After that I downloaded Compo-Pack A14.3 and opened it then went to data folder( not Data) and then dragged Prefabs folder to my Data folder.

Then I downloaded the fix and dragged it to my Config folder and replaced the default rwgmixer.xml

Done

- - - Updated - - -

You might have made a mistake by dragging the folder called data to your game and because it was called data not Data thats why you got the error.

that shouldn't be it. I hate explorer, so no dragging.

In wincommander i open the zip to the point within data - shows config and prefab directories - open prefab.

shows a bunch of files

next in the other pane: to xxx/steamapps/common/7 days to die/data/prefab

then copy data from zip to game folder(so from prefab to prefab folder directly) (no overwrite prompts).

then i grab the hotfix rgw file and it goes into /data/config.

ill do it again just for sake...

that shouldn't be it. I hate explorer, so no dragging.

In wincommander i open the zip to the point within data - shows config and prefab directories - open prefab.

shows a bunch of files

next in the other pane: to xxx/steamapps/common/7 days to die/data/prefab

then copy data from zip to game folder(so from prefab to prefab folder directly) (no overwrite prompts).

then i grab the hotfix rgw file and it goes into /data/config.

ill do it again just for sake...

Then i'm sorry I have no idea what you can do, because I just use 7Zip drag those folders and done. I don't know what you're doing wrong then.

Valmar, many thanks for all your hard work, I've held off installing it on our server until it was out of beta, which I see it now is.

Quick question, what happens when 14.6 gets released, does our mod stop working, do we just have to re-install it, do we have to wait for you to update it, and do we have to start over again at the beginning, selecting our profession etc?

Then i'm sorry I have no idea what you can do, because I just use 7Zip drag those folders and done. I don't know what you're doing wrong then.

Think I tracked the issue. For some reason the filesize of the hotfixed rgw was off. I re-downed it through another browser. That one does work. Some oddity of chrome?

edit: that seemed to be it. Loads to startscreen without hiccups now.

thx for thinking along - helps when your not just trapped in your own brain.

i'll run afew gens to see if it did work out for sure

Valmar, many thanks for all your hard work, I've held off installing it on our server until it was out of beta, which I see it now is.

Quick question, what happens when 14.6 gets released, does our mod stop working, do we just have to re-install it, do we have to wait for you to update it, and do we have to start over again at the beginning, selecting our profession etc?

After and update is released the server when will update and will delete modified files and replace them with default ones. You will have to wait for Valmar to update his modpack to work with the newest version. About the restarts I don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

Think I tracked the issue. For some reason the filesize of the hotfixed rgw was off. I re-downed it through another browser. That one does work. Some oddity of chrome?

Well ok. I'm not sure if it was Chrome browser's problem because I use it.

- - - Updated - - -

edit: that seemed to be it. Loads to startscreen without hiccups now.

thx for thinking along - helps when your not just trapped in your own brain.

i'll run afew gens to see if it did work out for sure

Ok. Good luck mate and have fun! :)

Firstly I appreciate the assistance you've been providing Tomas. I wouldn't be able to to help with the compo pack issues. I've never been the one to install it personally, I always had someone else with better net handle that since uploading those files from my connection to a server would take half the day.

It honestly depends. Some updates are purely engine based or whatever. That is to say, sometimes, the xml files are not touched at all. But they do usually sneak in a few changes in the xml files that they don't document. Sometimes you can just reinstall the mod and have it work fine, just minus their official changes (like if they make a gun stronger or a loot item more common). Other times the code is changed in such a way that it must be updated to work.

Your best bet is to wait for me to update it. I don't generally take long to do so. I have a server running my mod with a lot of active players counting on me to keep things updated so they can play, afterall. That serves as a good incentive for me to get off my ass and get things done.

And no, you shouldn't need to start all over again. Though I recommend you don't even update the server until you have the updated mod ready to install. If the game update did change the xml files and your players try to login while its still using those files it could cause issues. Best to update the game then add the updated mod before you let players back on. Though I've never had long-term issues from this (just updating and then adding the new mod files normally).

The biggest issue I've seen come by having the server running with busted files (so no one could join without a crash) is that new players who tried to join will not start with the class gear when you do fix it. Because when they tried to join it wasn't working but it still counted as their first time entering the game and since it wasn't working they weren't given the class key and class selection item. So for them their character profiles had to be reset, or given the items from creative menu.

I'm making it sound more daunting than it is. Either way as long as the Pimps themselves don't require an update neither should I. Unless they surprise us and come out with hundreds of new blocks in the blocks.xml. Then I'm screwed.

Either way supporting backwards compatibility with older saves is very important to me so I will not do anything intentionally that will break old worlds or profiles.

So I'm in the middle of adding a new tool for the Armory workstation (Overhaul) that will allow you to craft ammo, convert ammo or turn ammo into gunpowder or tips. I'll also let you convert arrows to bolts here.

While I was working on this Kalrath gave me an idea so I wanted to see what the community thinks. Note this only effect the Overhaul, the Expansion won't be harmed lol.

What do you guys think of having separate ammo casing types? Like 9mm Casing, 10mm Casing, Shotgun Casing, ect ect. It would be very easy to add something like that, if there is interest for it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Another thing I was considering is adding something like Deccypher's bag-drop mod. This will essentially mean zombies, when killed, will vanish quickly and leave behind a backpack that you loot. Plus to this is that the loot will not decay so you will be able to kill them and not be pressured to loot them before their bodies ascend to the ether.

Any feedback on those two ideas would be appreciated.

Archived