Animal spawns too low

Too low animal spawns  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the animal spawns are too low?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

It really comes down to how often you are moving through new chunks. Each chunk has a spawn limit and I believe that is 2 non agro animals max in the forest during the day, so 2 chickens or rabbits or a combo of the two. If you aren't traveling that will feel like very little are spawning because you have to wait unless the spawn timer starts again once you kill them.

Whenever I travel over 1km in a new direction I run into several game animals, so I think if you are having this issue with NOT enough, you need to move around more.

6 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

I know they can spawn today but it's nothing big only chickens and rabbits my diet has consisted of nothing but rattlesnakes delicious

Deer spawn in the day as well.

8 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

Whats the % cuz I've only found 1 after she spawned at night

I haven't looked.  But I do see them.  But I do a LOT of traveling, so I see a lot of animals.  I have seen both the buck and doe during the day.

1 minute ago, Adam the Waster said:

I'm jealous cuz my diet is nothing but rattlesnakes

Maybe do a test and max your animal tracking perk and see what you find with it.  You could always use the forgettin' elixir to remove those after testing.  Otherwise, I'm sure you will eventually see some.

2 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Maybe do a test and max your animal tracking perk and see what you find with it.  You could always use the forgettin' elixir to remove those after testing.  Otherwise, I'm sure you will eventually see some.

1 perk away the main reason I'm doing a perception build

17 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

Too bad im on console 😪 

Wouldn't worry about it.

Making a mod to change spawning rates and what spawns in the animal groups - piece of cake.

Making the mod in such a way that anyone can read my notes and make adjustments without messing anything up - huge challenge  😁

18 hours ago, GigglingZombie said:

Animal spawns are now far too low; i too believe that we should struggle in the game, i personally think the spawns should be a tiny bit more. Partly it's for immersion too ie there should be some animals, if for no other reason that it's jarring with almost zero animals mooching around

it looks like you can't edit your posts some time after posting, but no matter. I was far too brief in my above reply, and yes of course, travelling about you will be able to find more animals. it's just that the last couple of playthroughs, things have been challenging so i have not been able to travel more than a few buildings away; plus i should mention a couple of content creators - JaWoodle generally leaves the bunnies and chickens alone, and of course Glock9 often goes 'postal' in hunting down chickens (the chicken hunting thing can be a whole series of videos on it's own 😁) ; anyways , my point here is that i am very much against killing bunnies, they are far too cute, and their death squeal makes me fell bad, and (just like the bunnie animations) the chicken animations, walking, running and generally moving about, are so realistic and cute that i try real hard to not kill them, but in the last couple of playthroughs, lack of animals and food has been really difficult, so i've had to start murdering bunnies and chickens

Edited by GigglingZombie (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, GigglingZombie said:

lack of animals and food has been really difficult, so i've had to start murdering bunnies and chickens

It seems, Hunger is still the ultimate educator ... :)

Spawn rate is much lower than it used to be, I agree with that. Usually I can still find 2 deer nearly every night I wander around in the pine forest a bit. Regarding survival aspect I think spawn rates are fine. Experienced players can deal with that, new players surely will have hard times finding enough meat. And the hunter perk finally is worth a few points. Regarding the FUN and arcade aspect of the game it is a pity to see only a few animals here and there. Hunting is fun, encountering wild animals and the danger it brings is fun (at least for me), seeing different wildlife is fun.

In summary I think animal spawns are good currently. If you need more meat you should find plenty of snakes in the burnt forest or coyotes in the desert. Snow biome is full of meat but it fights back severely.

Just as a note, in my new game that I started yesterday, animal spawns seem to be much lower than in my previous game.  So far on day 3, I've seen 1 snake, 2 rabbits, and 2-5 chickens (I don't know how many because the chickens I saw kept disappearing and then I'd see one far enough away that I am sure it must be a different one, yet close enough that maybe it was the same one... lol).  No deer yet.  So it seems like maybe it's another of the RNG things, where you can have good luck or bad luck in each game.

Deer still spawn consistently in the early morning hours, 1 doe and 1 buck.

Sometimes they will wind up crossing your path, sometimes you will never see them.

Rabbits I feel like they probably spawn enough, but by the time I notice them they are usually running away already.

Even if I am still and I see 1 sit still, it's like the second I nock an arrow they run.

Animals run away too easy.

13 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

So the burnt Forest does have a lot more animals which makes no sense

A place with life and green.... naaa 

A burnt hell hole? Yeaaah

Abandon all logic, ye who enter here...

On 7/30/2024 at 5:47 AM, BFT2020 said:

Wouldn't worry about it.

Making a mod to change spawning rates and what spawns in the animal groups - piece of cake.

Making the mod in such a way that anyone can read my notes and make adjustments without messing anything up - huge challenge  😁

What? Comment code? I know crazy talk.

Seriously though, you've always been pretty good at explaining stuff.

Here is a simple modlet I made so people can adjust the animal spawning in game.  I added comments to hopefully help you navigate what you need to do to make the changes.  Loading the modlet as is will change the code, but it defaults right now to vanilla settings without any changes made by the user

I may get around doing a short video tutorial on how to use the mod (depends on how lazy I end up being)

https://github.com/BFT2020/V1.0-Animal-Spawning.git

No errors on loading (after I fixed them all 😁 ) and I ran a test where I added a 97% chance of spawning a zombie bear in the forest during the day

image.thumb.jpeg.3719230c7bed9776a29ac8dd9bbce91b.jpeg

When it comes to meat - or food in general - I see no problem. It's a bit tight at the beginning, maybe even problematic, but once that's solved it stays solved.

And from my experience it's not so problematic that I'd have to resort to sneaking up on every living thing with a bow and arrow, i.e. something that's not fun for me. I just wait until I have my first pistol and comfortably shoot them to death. 

It's another matter with the world feeling lifeless. It does, a bit, but I like it that way. For me it adds to the atmosphere.

So my vote is no, animal spawns are not too low.  

1 hour ago, Skaarphy said:

When it comes to meat - or food in general - I see no problem. It's a bit tight at the beginning, maybe even problematic, but once that's solved it stays solved.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I struggle a bit first week, but once some wolves and bears start attacking you, it's solved. Eggs become the bottleneck for me then, because face it, grilled meat is too little bang for the buck.

I just started up on a 4k map and desert being right next door, the coyotes come and offer themselves up to be eaten on day 1, so I'm just biding my time til bacon n eggs recipe. Love them old sham sammiches (with a side of goldenrod).

On 7/30/2024 at 11:47 AM, BFT2020 said:

Wouldn't worry about it.

Challenge accomplished. Not a Coder or Moder and for me, Mod is understandable. Thx.