V1.0 b332 EXP (b333 Hotfix)

patch_experimental_version_1_announceHeader.thumb.jpg.701d8bb47efb46e82e1de8b1c747e584.jpg

Good evening Survivors!
Another round of fixes before you.

b333 Hotfix:

Changed

• Next throw starts charging after the cooldown instead of being ignored
  • Made the throw charging bar more opaque

Fixed

• ItemClass collide with entity NRE if itemClass or MadeOfMaterial is null
  • Unable to throw explosives if drag dropped into the selected toolbelt slot
  • Clients in a p2p game are immune to zombie attacks

b332 Changelog:

Added

• Chimney Cap Large Smoke Ambient Sound
  • Inventory UI Audio - Plant Fibers & Crops
  • Inventory UI Audio - Various Resources Batch 1

Changed

• Moved player, chest and trader spawn point in playtest 20m closer to POI
  • Updated several Simplified Chinese strings based on community feedback
  • Initialize Harmony mod code first

Fixed

• Wrong animations slotted into the '3P' layer of the bow controller causing 'missing listener' error
  • Trader in playtest spawning 1m above ground
  • Bow animation delay

Edited by Hated (see edit history)

Just now, fraaancooo said:

modders go crazy LoL

Yeah, there's a reason many modders don't release new versions until after stable hits.  :D  But this is definitely more than normal, but since they want the release to console to be as good as possible, it isn't very surprising.  Although I don't use the bow, I know that fix will make a lot of players happy.

Yeah! I like the idea of them taking great care to launch the stable version. Some people may complain now, but later many will stop complaining about the polish they gave before launching.

3 minutes ago, fraaancooo said:

Yeah! I like the idea of them taking great care to launch the stable version. Some people may complain now, but later many will stop complaining about the polish they gave before launching.

Let's hope so. I know this is the reason for all the scrambling. In preparation for stable and console release. 

I'm loving every minute of it. Great job Pimps!

2 hours ago, Hated said:

Initialize Harmony mod code first

I saw this in the mods folder when I was making and updating my own mods, but the info file just refers to HarmonyX which I'm not familiar with.  Is it essentially a pre-mod to make other mods work better?

So nice that the bow animation was fixed so quickly!

I guess it won't make it for the actual 1.0 release tomorrow but I feel like the lighting this time was just overtuned. Nights are a bit too bright and it makes torches, flashlights, and night vision unneeded. It also effectively makes stealth gameplay stronger as you won't have to use lights at night that increase your visibility meter.

Someone made a mod for the interior/exterior lighting for both day and night: https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/5422

Exterior Day - Tuned
spacer.png

Exterior Day - Original

spacer.png

Interior Day - Tuned

spacer.png

Interior Day - Original

spacer.png

I think the devs should revisit the lighting post-1.0 and make different ambient lighting for night/day. I'll admit some of the screenshots on that mod are too dark (but still brighter pre-1.0) so maybe somewhere in the middle? On some screenshots, the game look beautiful, makes it look cinematic even.

Edited by mouldy
Missing part (see edit history)

Wondering if TFP know about an issue of what I guess is called, reverse input delay?
Basically, quite often, my character will continue to move in the direction I was pressing for half a second after I release.
And sometimes I will start pressing the reverse direction, and my character will just stand still for half a second like as if the game thinks I'm pressing both W and S at the same time.

Additionally, the sprint toggle is still turned on regardless of the on/off setting.

I haven't played b332 yet, but b330

• Hated changed the title to V1.0 b332 EXP (b333 Hotfix)
2 hours ago, FranticDan said:

reverse input delay?
Basically, quite often, my character will continue to move in the direction I was pressing for half a second after I release.
And sometimes I will start pressing the reverse direction, and my character will just stand still for half a second like as if the game thinks I'm pressing both W and S at the same time.

That would be more considered input inertia. Reverse delay would mean the action starts before the input which would be impossible. 

Continuing to move after releasing W also happens in Conan Exiles. The only fix I've found for that is capping my frame rate at 60fps.

2 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Additionally, the sprint toggle is still turned on regardless of the on/off setting.

Regarding this, the option is not to enable or disable sprint locking.  You will always be able to sprint lock regardless of the setting.  Instead, the setting (when enabled) makes it so that if you have sprint lock on when you stop moving, then when you start moving again, you'll be sprinting without needing to enable sprint lock again.  Disabled just means you have to re-enable sprint lock to start sprinting again after stopping.

If you are still sprinting after stopping when that setting is disabled, then there's a bug.  But I'm guessing you might just misunderstand the setting?

* For clarification, you can also just hold the sprint key instead of enabling sprint lock to sprint.  I am just referring to the sprint lock function here.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Arez said:

That would be more considered input inertia. Reverse delay would mean the action starts before the input which would be impossible. 

Continuing to move after releasing W also happens in Conan Exiles. The only fix I've found for that is capping my frame rate at 60fps.

my frames are already locked at 60

5 hours ago, mouldy said:

So nice that the bow animation was fixed so quickly!

I guess it won't make it for the actual 1.0 release tomorrow but I feel like the lighting this time was just overtuned. Nights are a bit too bright and it makes torches, flashlights, and night vision unneeded. It also effectively makes stealth gameplay stronger as you won't have to use lights at night that increase your visibility meter.

Someone made a mod for the interior/exterior lighting for both day and night: https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/5422

Exterior Day - Tuned
spacer.png

Exterior Day - Original

spacer.png

Interior Day - Tuned

spacer.png

Interior Day - Original

spacer.png

I think the devs should revisit the lighting post-1.0 and make different ambient lighting for night/day. I'll admit some of the screenshots on that mod are too dark (but still brighter pre-1.0) so maybe somewhere in the middle? On some screenshots, the game look beautiful, makes it look cinematic even.

THANK YOU, this is exactly what was needed. 1.0 looks much better than A21, but the game has become too bright and it ruins everything. I really hope TFP do something like this in the future. @faatal?

Thanks for all your work on this game.  I host a game for a group of my friends and we all enjoy our time playing.  We have no problems with the lighting values as they are now.  Personally I dislike it when things become too dark.

1 hour ago, Chaton Noir said:

THANK YOU, this is exactly what was needed. 1.0 looks much better than A21, but the game has become too bright and it ruins everything. I really hope TFP do something like this in the future. @faatal?

Lowering the in-game brightness does pretty much the same thing. The bright areas stay bright while the dark areas get darker. 

With the in-game brightness you can make it so dark that at night you could barely see anything that isn't up in your face.

2 minutes ago, Arez said:

Lowering the in-game brightness does pretty much the same thing. The bright areas stay bright while the dark areas get darker. 

With the in-game brightness you can make it so dark that at night you could barely see anything that isn't up in your face.

I tried reducing the brightness to 0% and that didn't solve the problem. But the game became horrible as the bright areas remained as bright and the dark areas became very dark. I tested this during the day and it looked bad. I ended up playing at 30% brightness, but the game is still too bright.

1 hour ago, Chaton Noir said:

I tried reducing the brightness to 0% and that didn't solve the problem. But the game became horrible as the bright areas remained as bright and the dark areas became very dark. I tested this during the day and it looked bad. I ended up playing at 30% brightness, but the game is still too bright.

Did you check the brightness setting of your monitor? And the setting of the operating system?

I use default brightness and I still need lights or night vision googles in POIs, in the burned biome even in the daytime it can become too dark inside. I play on a TV screen though which probably is tuned differently than most PC monitors.

11 hours ago, Hated said:

Unable to throw explosives if drag dropped into the selected toolbelt slot

Repeating that I love changelogs and hope that game studios and developers never stop publishing them. How does one even find this happens and also find out what was causing the issue? I can imagine some random player dragging explosives to their toolbelt in preparation of a horde or something and realizing with dawning horror that they can't throw them no matter how hard they try. 😭

What was causing this issue, if you're allowed to say or simply feel like explaining? I am forever curious!

15 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I play on a TV screen though which probably is tuned differently than most PC monitors.

It depends on the type of matrix, not on the settings. TV and computer monitors often have very different matrices.

26 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Did you check the brightness setting of your monitor? And the setting of the operating system?

I use default brightness and I still need lights or night vision googles in POIs, in the burned biome even in the daytime it can become too dark inside. I play on a TV screen though which probably is tuned differently than most PC monitors.

I use the standard brightness of the monitor and the system, and there are no problems in other games. In principle, the game looks normal indoors. Reducing the brightness to 30% makes the picture much better. But outdoors, the game is still brighter than we would like. For me personally, the ideal option is with this mod. The game becomes much less bright outdoors, and it gets even darker indoors, but at the same time the game does not turn into pitch darkness. Although the nights are still very bright. But this is easily evaporated by another mod that makes the nights dark. Maybe even darker than it should be, but it looks normal and much better.

If we talk about brightness, then I like A21 the most. The game was not so bright during the day and allowed us to make dark nights and indoors with the help of mods. Will it be possible to use this mod with the dark nights mod? Unlikely. So I'll have to walk at night like during the day, because I'd rather have less brightness during the day than the other way around. I also hope that Torch will be updated for 1.0. By the way, why don't TFP use the ideas of this mod? This allows you to increase performance well in some scenarios, while the impact on the graphics is minimal. The latest version even has SSRTGI.

1 hour ago, vergilsparda said:

Repeating that I love changelogs and hope that game studios and developers never stop publishing them. How does one even find this happens and also find out what was causing the issue? I can imagine some random player dragging explosives to their toolbelt in preparation of a horde or something and realizing with dawning horror that they can't throw them no matter how hard they try. 😭

What was causing this issue, if you're allowed to say or simply feel like explaining? I am forever curious!

Players submit bug reports here on our forums.  I think that is how this issue was discovered.

4 hours ago, vergilsparda said:

There was a change in the throw code to a line that compares if the item value was the same reference, which was changed to Equals. That compares all the values of an item, which did not match after lit, so it would cancel the throw as soon as you clicked. I changed it to a type compare to fix. That is old code and it may not even be needed anymore, but removing could cause some other bug. Fixing bugs can be dangerous as you often make new ones, which happened several times this week.

The brightness issue sounds like a change to benefit streamers.  They used to have to turn the brightness up so their viewers wouldn't complain.

I'm usually not too critical, but between this, streamer weekend and all the twitch integration it really feels like TFP is obsessed with their game looking better on Twitch to the detriment of the overall experience.  The game is considerably less scary at night and indoors.

Recommendation: put in a "Twitch Mode" toggle that enables current brightness levels and reverts to previous brightness settings when off.

23 minutes ago, DanLW said:

The brightness issue sounds like a change to benefit streamers.  They used to have to turn the brightness up so their viewers wouldn't complain.

I'm usually not too critical, but between this, streamer weekend and all the twitch integration it really feels like TFP is obsessed with their game looking better on Twitch to the detriment of the overall experience.  The game is considerably less scary at night and indoors.

Recommendation: put in a "Twitch Mode" toggle that enables current brightness levels and reverts to previous brightness settings when off.

The brightness change had nothing to do with streamers. As you said, streamers could already turn up the brightness. It was changed because it was thought to be a more practical play experience. I actually like it dark and have thought we could have day and night brightness settings, but we shall see where the team opinions lands after more testing and feedback.