War of the Walkers mod

dwallorde

Thank you for the advice, Astralweaver. I was starting to think a crafting station was missing too. Maybe the workbench? Because the Armour Workstation is locked behind the Covert class completion and you can't do the Covert class completion without first completing the crafting leather armor questline lol Thanks again!! :)

Hello!  We've really been enjoying this mod and love some of the elements and things it adds.  We've been playing on the "WotW-NoCP-Med1" map and decided to random generate a new one and try the mod on it.  When we went to the trader it was a vanilla game trader.  Thinking it might just be that one trader, we went into God mode and looked at some of the others.  We didn't have a single custom trader at all on the map.  Does this mod work with randomly generated maps?  Other elements of the mod (quests, supply caches, etc.) did load in.  Just wondering if we were missing something.  Thanks for your help everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Slicker said:

Please tell me in which file you can fix the manufacturing time? I believe that the production time of fort bytes from 22 minutes per 1 unit is an error.

Does the bench you are crafting in have tool slots and are there tools in the slots?  This mod, adding tools to the tool slots decrease crafting times.

Hey fellow survivors! Has anyone or can anyone out there make the crops/food into a stand alone mod for this? I just love to farm in my solo games and thats all i would really like to add. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit - Just wanted to see if theres anyone who can do this?? I would really appreciate it

Edited by Vilesyde (see edit history)

9 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Есть ли на скамье, на которой вы крафтите, слоты для инструментов, и есть ли инструменты в слотах? Этот мод, добавляющий инструменты в слоты для инструментов, сокращает время изготовления.

Thank you it helped! Who would have thought)

I tried WotW for the first time about a month ago. The first game I played was at warrior level but I found that very easy so I started over at insane level. Unfortunately even insane was still too easy. Despite this I enjoyed the mod and many of the features were new and interesting.

PROS

- The different heights for the zombies and the new zombie profiles were great

- The class machines were good

- The new quests were interesting but got a little bit overwhelming over time

- Adding tungsten as a material helped to expand the game from vanilla

- Fast crafting at the ammo forge and other tables was an improvement over vanilla

- Duplicate skill books being recycled as random skill books was good. Maybe 5 class fragments could make 1 skill point.

- Portland cement using up the surplus stone was good.

CONS

- As mentioned above the game was too easy at insane (more about that below)

- Having an accessible but still invulnerable trader building made the first days less fearful

- Farming was unneeded as grilled red meat and boiled water were very abundant

- Having abundant skill points and level requirements defeats the role playing aspect

- Good gear was accessible far too quickly.

- No real reason to explore the map as everything you need can be found within 1 km of your start.

- Having to wait at the crafting table for a "crafting" quest is boring.

- Never did find a quest trader or a book trader.

- Never saw a tool and die set but ti was never a problem.

WHY SO EASY?

While playing at insane I got the schematic for fantasy chest on Day 1 (90minute days) solving any storage problems forever. Then on day 2 I found a HD ergonomic grip. Combine that with the tier 5 tungsten club that I bought from the soldier machine for 12k on day 4 and I was a clubbing monster. On day 5 or so I found a bonus materials mod and a bonus experience mod that I put on my iron pick axe. When I found a small above ground pyramid shaped deposit I would pop a rock buster and get to work. I had so many materials including tungsten that I never bothered to visit other zones and did very little underground mining. The crates on the posts in the wilderness netted me some very good loot. I basically never crafted any equipable gear as the loot and quest reward gear was better than I could craft. Eventually doing some level 5 buried supplies quests netted me high tier tungsten armor pieces. By day 25 or so I was getting all 5 quest rewards instead of just 2 rewards.

The % experience cards worked on the fixed experience cards. Thus I saved up the fixed experience cards and then popped a +30% card  and quickly gained about 5 levels from all the other cards. The slimy green boulders were each worth about 3k experience so it was better to farm them then killing zombies.

By day 35 (90 minute days) I had reached level cap 500 and still had over 150+ skill points unspent. The day 35 horde came to my Portland concrete base that had 100 tungsten spikes, 100 steel spikes, 50 HD blade traps, 18 turrets and all steel clad base supports. There was electric zombies in the horde but nothing exploding or otherwise doing serious damage. The horde died to my sniper rifle by the hundreds. Since I was at level cap already all I got was some rifle skill and a couple of hundred loot bags. My loot stage was 798. I had over 300k dukes saved up by then, a 4x4 truck and a tricked out motorcycle. I stopped at that point as I really didn't see anything left to accomplish.

HOW TO IMPROVE

One basic change that this mod and others could use is the silent zombie. A percentage of zombies can approach your avatar silently. Higher difficulty level the higher the percentage. Insane having about 25% silent seems about right. Yes you will see some of the silent zombies coming at you head on. However this change still adds excitement as you never know for sure what is coming for you unless you check your six.

Specifically for this mod I believe the dev needs to revamp the level gating for skills. The replay value is low if there is no shortage of skill points. If you want to be good at say swinging a club then you need to give up some other skill sets. This could be achieved by making some of the higher skills cost more than one point. So basic skill is cheap but specializing to high levels of a skill is expensive. Thus you need to decide on your role and spend accordingly. I would prefer a system where I need to save up 4 skill points for a higher skill improvement instead of wait for level 200 and spend 1 point. Also the skill cards that reward 3 or 4 points need to be removed.

A big problem in this mod is that the good stuff can drop far too early, as happened to me. The crates on the posts in the wilderness need a serious nerf of quality of gear and quantity of ammo. If you want players to invest in crafting skills then you need to restrict the best gear to crafted with extensive craftable components. I think I got a trader advancement reward of 500 tungsten shapes which is a huge amount of very expensive material.

I know many players enjoy farming but I don't bother with farming if it is a chore. One way to do this is to remove the replanting of the crop. When you harvest you might only get 2 corn but the corn is reverted back to "growing" and you don't need to craft a seed and replant it. The cost of creating a forever corn seed can be 5 corn or more. Thus establishing a farm can be expensive in the short run but rewarding in the long run.

This mod needs an endgame. A nasty place(s) with lots of mobs with over 2k hit points as you find in other mods. To win there you should need some serious firepower, skills, gear and ammo.

OVERALL

This is a great mod with some significant improvements from vanilla. Grats to the dev. Donation sent to a fellow Canadian.

This mod seems to use an absolutely insane amount of PC resourses for me. I go from 110ish FPS in Vanilla to 9ish in War of the Walkers with the same settings. I feel like I must be doing something wrong. It rushes to hog 23gb of RAM which is nuts for a video game. 

Does anyone know if there's a trick to gettimg better performance? I've played on max graphics for years, including through multiple Darkness Falls maps but now I have to run the game with everything set to extreme potato mode to eek out 25ish FPS...

When adding new weapons  mod, which xml do I edit so I can have them compatible with War of the Walkers? Like these ones: 

require the vanilla perks to unlock and make them creatable. But War of the Walkers uses custom perks so I can't get them to unlock or be craftable. I can still acquire them via traders and loot. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry everyone, and this may be asked already. I did a scan through the thread, but it's pretty large :). 

I'm trying to finish the final quest for Technician and I have all 5 parts of the class papers. The problem comes when I try to craft the final item to complete it, I don't have a "recipes" option on the item and I'm not sure where to take them to actually craft them. Where in the world do I go to craft it? 

2 hours ago, NecroBrine2022 said:

Hello, i wanted to change 7.62 and 12g ammo stacks, how do i do that?

Best thing to do is make a modlet to run after this mod with code to change the following characteristics (this is just an example from vanilla) - Stacknumber

<item name="ammo9mmBulletBall">
    <property name="Tags" value="ammo"/>
    <property name="DisplayType" value="ammoBullet"/>
    <property name="HoldType" value="45"/>
    <property name="Meshfile" value="#Other/Items?Misc/sackPrefab.prefab"/>
    <property name="DropMeshfile" value="#Other/Items?Misc/sack_droppedPrefab.prefab"/>
    <property name="Material" value="Mbrass"/>
    <property name="MeltTimePerUnit" value=".4"/>
    <property name="Stacknumber" value="300"/> <!-- STK ammo high -->
    <property name="EconomicValue" value="9"/>
    <property name="Group" value="Ammo/Weapons,Ammo,Ranged Weapons"/>
    <effect_group name="ammo9mmBulletBall" tiered="false">
        <passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="base_set" value="32" tags="perkGunslinger,9mmGun"/>
        <passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="base_set" value="6" tags="perkGunslinger"/>
        <passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_add" value="-.8" tags="earth"/>
        <passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_add" value="2" tags="wood"/>
    </effect_group>
</item>

Ideally your code would look something like this:

<set xpath="/items/item[@name='ammo9mmBulletBall']/property[@name='Stacknumber']/@value">500</set>

If I didn't make any mistakes, this would change the ammo stack amount for 9mm ball from 300 to 500.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any way to make class quests run one at a time?

Just playing is completing most of them at once.

Asking because even with setting my xp down to 25%, I end up being lvl 10 or 12 by the start of day two.

By the time I get to day 7 for the first horde, my gamestage is wrecked, and I am nowhere near (playing-wise) getting the things I need to survive it.

Since these zombies are no joke, normal HBases won't work.

I really don't like having to cheat in building mats, blocks, and ammo when I can help it.

Edited by Gidaeon (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone help me out? I have never had a problem loading this mod until recently. I went back down to 20.6 so I could use it but it fails to load every time. States it’s missing modinfo.xml and I don’t know what to do or where to get it. Thanks

On 4/27/2024 at 4:41 PM, Buddha18 said:

Can someone help me out? I have never had a problem loading this mod until recently. I went back down to 20.6 so I could use it but it fails to load every time. States it’s missing modinfo.xml and I don’t know what to do or where to get it. Thanks

I went up to the 21.2 and it still won't load, continues to say there is not  MODinfo.xml.. Can someone please help? I have never had this problem before.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Buddha18 said:

I went up to the 21.2 and it still won't load, continues to say there is not  MODinfo.xml.. Can someone please help? I have never had this problem before.

I don't know about this mod, but the "ModInfo.xml" file is required to be directly inside every mod folder, like this:

Mods/ModName/ModInfo.xml

where:

Mods is the folder all the mods are put in

ModName is the folder for the mod (whatever the mod is named).

think of this as "the mod is inside the Mods folder"

if ModInfo.xml is not literally at this location, I believe the mod will not load with that "not found" error you are seeing. It may be missing, or your mod folder structure is not set up right. some mods are zipped when you download them and when unzipped they have an extra toplevel folder added and it looks something like this, which will fail to load with that error:

Mods/ModNameFolderXYZ/ModName/ModInfo.xml.  

Think of this of this as "the mod folder is inside the ModNameFolderXYZ folder.

If this is happening, get rid of the "ModNameFolderXYZ" folder ny moving the "ModName" folder under "Mods".

Also: i am assuming you are manually putting the mods into the games "Mods" folder and not using a tool to load mods.

Also: i am assuming you are on Windows and not another OS

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

On 5/2/2024 at 2:46 PM, doughphunghus said:

I don't know about this mod, but the "ModInfo.xml" file is required to be directly inside every mod folder, like this:

Mods/ModName/ModInfo.xml

where:

Mods is the folder all the mods are put in

ModName is the folder for the mod (whatever the mod is named).

think of this as "the mod is inside the Mods folder"

if ModInfo.xml is not literally at this location, I believe the mod will not load with that "not found" error you are seeing. It may be missing, or your mod folder structure is not set up right. some mods are zipped when you download them and when unzipped they have an extra toplevel folder added and it looks something like this, which will fail to load with that error:

Mods/ModNameFolderXYZ/ModName/ModInfo.xml.  

Think of this of this as "the mod folder is inside the ModNameFolderXYZ folder.

If this is happening, get rid of the "ModNameFolderXYZ" folder ny moving the "ModName" folder under "Mods".

Also: i am assuming you are manually putting the mods into the games "Mods" folder and not using a tool to load mods.

Also: i am assuming you are on Windows and not another OS

I have always went into the zip file then copy and paste the files which has always worked. I even unzipped it into the mods folder without success. I search the entire folder for the modinfo.xml file but it comes up as not found. I play on windows with steam and it has always worked in the past but for some reason I am unable to now. When the game loads it says it can't find that xml so it doesn't load it. It's this mod that I am trying to get to load as it is the only mod I really like. Thank you for replying. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Buddha18 said:

I have always went into the zip file then copy and paste the files which has always worked. I even unzipped it into the mods folder without success. I search the entire folder for the modinfo.xml file but it comes up as not found. I play on windows with steam and it has always worked in the past but for some reason I am unable to now. When the game loads it says it can't find that xml so it doesn't load it. It's this mod that I am trying to get to load as it is the only mod I really like. Thank you for replying. 

Check that you didn't unzip and it created a new subfolder

The mod structure should be:

/mods/BFT2020Mod/Config

Sometimes when you unzip, it creates a new folder and you get

/mods/BFT2020Mod/BFT2020Mod/Config

In the later case, it won't load up correctly as it is looking for modinfo in the first BFT2020Mod folder when it is actually in the second BFT2020Mod folder.

Note:  I used a generic mod name as I don't know the exact mod name for this one ( didn't want to confuse anyone with the wrong name)

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)