Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

28 minutes ago, Dreyseth said:

@Laz Man

This door to the right is not able to be interacted with.  The door does not open and attacks pass through it without the usual attack sound on Trader owned blocks.  

20240704091508_1.jpg

There are new "wall volumes" in the game as of A21.  It's why you can't loot around the trader anymore.  I'm sure that's been applied to that door as well, since it's there for decoration to show how Jen gets out from behind the counter.

First World Problems ... RWG is so fast now I want to generate 10 (maybe 100) worlds so I can run a python script against each world's prefabs.xml file for analysis.

@zztong

c drive     users    your profile     appdata    roaming    7daysto die    generated worlds    prefabs.xml
prefabs.xml This is the list of pregens minus the POI folder in steam 7daystodie data prefabs pois .

Some are zoned to nav_only these include Deirsville, Perishton; then bluff I think is situational.

The way I used to check is in excel, remove dups then go to the poi folder under 7daystodie

steam folder, command prompt, drill down to the pois folder, run dir*.xml>prefabs.txt

In excel after removing dups, sort by alpha aTOz both files then copy paste in the next cell
when the names don't lineup the right list has one that I move to a new cell column.
the empty space I delete and move up. On the right when you finish are the pois that did not
render in your world open their xml and explore them.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 4sheetzngeegles said:

prefabs.xml This is the list of pregens minus the POI folder in steam 7daystodie data prefabs pois ... [snip]

Thanks, I appreciate the thorough response. I often chase the information in a similar fashion with grep, existing python scripts, etc. Chasing the exceptions across both Vanilla and POI modlets is a bit more work. When you start exploring RWG habits related to rwgmixer.xml options it draws out the effort.

I'm not complaining. RWG's console is more informative than before... quite nice, really.

I can see it is finding my Stamps, though I don't think it has used them in my 28 (and growing) test worlds.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, zztong said:

First World Problems ... RWG is so fast now I want to generate 10 (maybe 100) worlds so I can run a python script against each world's prefabs.xml file for analysis.

I happen to have that script. :) 

You can even find it on the mod section of the forum, though it needs a couple of changes to support 1.0. Nothing too big -- there's one of the world files that changed size so I had to add some scaling to it -- I can push that change later today -- and you gotta change the "location" on the screen for each RWG setting. 1.0 has new settings, and you'd have to add them at various places if you want to try them out as well. Send me a private message if you are interested in trying it out.

To the Devs, with love:

Can we PLEASE add a sound clue when departing the area of a quest before completing it? The visual clues just don't work for me, because they are out on the edges of the screen (and rightly so).

To the players in this forum, with begging:

If you want that sound clue, react to this post. Gotta tell the devs (or me, I suppose) whether people want something or not.

Edited by dcsobral (see edit history)

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

To the Devs, with love:

Can we PLEASE add a sound clue when departing the area of a quest before completing it? The visual clues just don't work for me, because they are out on the edges of the screen (and rightly so)

Our sound guy has it on his radar I believe.  I recall him talking about it a few weeks ago.

1 minute ago, Laz Man said:

Our sound guy has it on his radar I believe.  I recall him talking about it a few weeks ago.

I'm excited about the future of this. What sounds are his planning. We got a new hazmat zombie sounds! 

What else does he have planned! 

Guns? Vehicles? Ambience? Players? Skills? Animals! 

I hope we get more in the next hotfix

24 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

I'm excited about the future of this. What sounds are his planning. We got a new hazmat zombie sounds! 

What else does he have planned! 

Guns? Vehicles? Ambience? Players? Skills? Animals! 

I hope we get more in the next hotfix

The weapon sounds need a full rework. Though changes for the rest of the sounds are also needed. I think players would welcome any sound changes. Hopefully he can make us happy in 1.1.

Just now, Chaton Noir said:

The weapon sounds need a full rework. Though changes for the rest of the sounds are also needed. I think players would welcome any sound changes. Hopefully he can make us happy in 1.1.

Weapons! Alone!!! Need a rework! 

Extra mods like ammo changing receivers 

Better aiming

Better melee attacks and animation and better. 

On 7/7/2024 at 8:16 AM, Kosmic Kerman said:

Bought 2 sometime after day 30 because I didn’t have any pressing needs and the convenience was worth it. Before then I wouldn’t have spent the dukes for the same reason as you. 

Same here. I just make an extra campfire with a pot and non stop boil water.

1 hour ago, DocRussel said:

Does it work like the website?

I don't know about his script, but mine is spitting out number of POIs and Tiles found in every world in my GeneratedWorlds folder so that I can characterize what RWG is doing with POI and rwgmixer XML changes. That map website is pretty handy for lots of things, but what it doesn't tell me is that there are some POIs that only seem to show up in a small fraction of the maps. I need to know what's there and what's not there over a sample of many worlds.

3 minutes ago, zztong said:

there are some POIs that only seem to show up in a small fraction of the maps. I need to know what's there and what's not there over a sample of many worlds.

I've noticed this with hotel_04.  It is only available on gateway tiles, so has less chance to show up.  I think hotel _03 is also less common, though I didn't look to see where that can spawn.

At least they reduced the duplicate distance for the skyscrapers from 10km to 1km.  Red Mesa is still 10km.  Not sure about others.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Riamus said:

I've noticed this with hotel_04.  It is only available on gateway tiles, so has less chance to show up.  I think hotel _03 is also less common, though I didn't look to see where that can spawn.

hotel_04 = gateway tagged, 60x60, 2,029,222 vertices.

Across my current 10 test worlds it was placed 28 times; 2-3 times per 8k map with default settings.

hotel_03 = commercial tagged, 100x100, 3,063,832 vertices.

Across my current 10 test worlds it was placed 7 time as once on 7 of 10 maps.

hotel_02 = commercial 100x100, 4,098,989 vertices.

Across my 10 test worlds, it was placed 5 times.

Here's one that I'm watching...

apartments_01 = commercial, 42x42, 893,998 vertices.

Placed ZERO times across 10 test worlds.

The 42x42 commercial POIs seem to disappear once they get somewhere over 650,000 vertices. Or, at least that's my observations to-date. Sometimes, one heavier than that will sneak into the mix, but that's usually 1 in 10 worlds. I've got 8 of my own POIs that are being left out and that got me into checking on how TFP's POIs were doing.

Hmm, I guess I could hang out on the Teragon Discord and compare notes. :)

22 minutes ago, zztong said:

hotel_04 = gateway tagged, 60x60, 2,029,222 vertices.

Across my current 10 test worlds it was placed 28 times; 2-3 times per 8k map with default settings.

hotel_03 = commercial tagged, 100x100, 3,063,832 vertices.

Across my current 10 test worlds it was placed 7 time as once on 7 of 10 maps.

hotel_02 = commercial 100x100, 4,098,989 vertices.

Across my 10 test worlds, it was placed 5 times.

Here's one that I'm watching...

apartments_01 = commercial, 42x42, 893,998 vertices.

Placed ZERO times across 10 test worlds.

The 42x42 commercial POIs seem to disappear once they get somewhere over 650,000 vertices. Or, at least that's my observations to-date. Sometimes, one heavier than that will sneak into the mix, but that's usually 1 in 10 worlds. I've got 8 of my own POIs that are being left out and that got me into checking on how TFP's POIs were doing.

Hmm, I guess I could hang out on the Teragon Discord and compare notes. :)

Yeah, I haven't done many tests yet and didn't notice the apartment one.  It seems a lot is related to trying to tone down downtown areas to improve performance.  Yet I haven't actually seen any improvement.  I still get the same slow draw distance in downtown (not the district, but just that general area) as I had in A21.  But hopefully the changes have helped others.

On 7/1/2024 at 1:56 PM, Egor179 said:

Yes you have hit, I don't like being told I'm lying with no information to back it up, just using your schizophrenic ramblings about photoshop and the untruthfulness of what you've seen, nothing you've proven.
Let's note the date of this post is 2021.
1. I purchased a 1080p monitor a long time ago (as stated in previous videos it is an Odyssey G40B and specifically emphasized 1080p resolution)
2. TAA in 7DTD still does not work correctly, namely the developers for some reason lowered all the standard parameters for TAA, as a result it almost did not fulfill its functions, I took the situation into my own hands and fixed it for myself, and for many others in the community, posting my fix as a mod on TAA Fix (Nexus). At the time of 2021 there was also an issue with low texture resolution, this is a limitation, if the graphics card had less than 2400MB of memory and RAM was less than 4900MB, the textures were of low quality, I also fixed this for myself because a 950 GTX with 2GB of memory was still able to run the game at the then current resolution of 1680x1050 with acceptable FPS. (I hope you see the black bars on the sides? Which are now gone on my 1080p.)
Also, the game uses two separate renderers, for the world itself and separately for the character's hands, and there and there uses its own antialiasing, the developers made it so that SMAA is overlaid on top of TAA, well in general everything was flickering, fixed it.
I recorded my order of actions on video and sent to the developer for consideration, but it was rejected, since then I am still updating my mod.

3. And lastly I have RTX 4070 Super now, and for 1080p it's a great option, considering my 240Hz monitor.
No, buddy, you're lying here, to me and everyone here.

Screenshot_12.png

Screenshot_11.png

No wonder they rejected your "fixes". Modifying SW limits because you think your HW will handle it is like thinking you can make horse sit in a car. I still highly doubt any of what you said beforehand is true. And why should I care? My point was already proven, is is a postprocessing effect which obscures/manipulates normally visible pixels.

You want antialiasing? Sure, go for it and fiddle with it anyhow you want. It still is a blurring effect, you will never be able to draw a triangle on 4x4 area, it's not like your AA will fix it, but why bother explaining that when you already missed the point.
It always was a postprocessing effect, still is and it will remain that way, no matter what other pipeline (or whatever nonsense you are calling it) is added to it.

18 hours ago, Riamus said:

There are new "wall volumes" in the game as of A21.  It's why you can't loot around the trader anymore.  I'm sure that's been applied to that door as well, since it's there for decoration to show how Jen gets out from behind the counter.

Thanks for the reply. 

I fully understand how the mistake could have been made; I just want it pointed out so that new players don't get confused about a door that is not solid in such a prominent location.  

6 hours ago, DocRussel said:

Does it work like the website?

https://kui.github.io/7dtd-map/

Yes and no. First off, we are talking about generating maps automatically for analysis, which that site doesn't. My stuff also makes  a map and, of course, we use the same files to make that map. The map I generate and the map that site generates look very different, though. Finally, my stuff also includes analysis tools.

Oh, oh, are we talking about weird RWG stuff when it comes to POI placement? Can I chime in with something completely different and yet kind of similar, and that is that every pine forest town I've made so far in the worlds I've created has about the same 30-50 POIs, sometimes even in the exact same placement as they were in previous worlds or as towns adjacent to them?

Every single town I've touched ( which granted is not many, and my world is not large—4k for performance and just because I've found I don't like playing longer on bigger worlds ) has had a Butcher Pete's within three hundred yards/blocks or so from the trader, and more often than not the Jerry's Fill gas station with the broken down building connected to it, as well as an old west town crack-a-book ( the one with the apartment and offices connected ). It always has the budget burrows, slum apartments ( the single-story ones with the boar in the back yard ), or motel eight/seven, and always with the broken down industrial remnant thats the giant white-and-green oil extractor thing. They're surrounded, always, by (my favorite) tiny trailer, the white one with the white picket fence and hedges, trailer_04 I think (can't remember its name), and almost always with the Ava Victed Court right next to that. It's so predictable that I can almost always tell when it's going to be the same just by walking towards it when starting a new playthrough. Feels like living in the movie Groundhog Day!

It's even happened where I've had two separate towns with an almost 1:1 ratio of the same POIs in it, just placed on different tile spaces, with the towns being less than 1km from each other. Maybe that's because I've made so many maps the game doesn't know what to do when it comes to randomness but idk. Or maybe it's entirely just a me problem ( and usually is LOL ! )

28 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

Oh, oh, are we talking about weird RWG stuff when it comes to POI placement? [Snip] Every single town I've touched...

I've not tried to look at this kind of thing yet for 1.0, but it can result from having too many ways to divide up the POIs. The pools of available POIs get smaller with each division until they start to get recognizable. It seems 1.0 added more settlement types, though they use the same districts that we've had for a while, so I don't think that's a reason for your observation.

But 1.0 did start mixing in some biome progression elements so I wonder if you're getting a heavy dose of CountryTowns in forest and burnt forest? (The maps I'm seeing look like that might be the case.) With default settings, you might have something like 4 CountryTowns in the Forest and 3 more in Burnt Forest. CountryTowns only have 2 districts. If I had to guess, I suspect this is the source of your observation.

The brute force no-BS way to overcome this is to make 1,000 more POIs. (But that's not realistic.) A quicker attempt that might provide a little relief would be something like:

• Let CountryTowns have an optional "outskirt_district". (Sometimes it has one; sometimes it doesn't.
  • Let all settlements with outskirt_districts specify more than one district. (Kinyajuu added support for this; not sure if its still there.)
    • Town outskirt_district = rural,residential
    • City outskirt_district = residential

Fewer cities, towns, and countrytowns could help out though I doubt this will be popular.

But ultimately this is all up against the Human Brain, which is really good at remembering patterns, plus you can consume content far faster than it can be created. To some extent you're doomed to eventually see all villages and towns to be very similar.

I can suggest perhaps spending a little more time exploring the Wilderness POIs. Folks tend to hang out around the settlements because the experience points are dense-packed there.

lol so much for fixing the old problem of every town being the same country town (and thus overusing the same POIs).

I really don't know why cities are forced out of the forest biome. It really doesn't break anything or change the game all that dramatically if you have cities in a friendlier climate.

Oh well, there's already multiple mods to remove the restriction at least.