Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

8 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Some others were mentioning structural integrity issues a few pages back. I also have been experiencing such and have had 2 base collapses. 

I don't go all crazy with my builds, just built a 5x5, not solid base. Just with 4 support pillars. Extended the roof, where I live & all my stuff is, out by one block & put up a roof made of bars. 

Collapsed on me twice and no blocks were showing as yellow. 

So then I even put a support in the middle coming up from the ground.

Still collapsed!! 

I just kind of wrote it off as I just did something wrong but now that I see others are having issues...there it is.

I had a horde base collapse as well. Was perfectly fine as wood and cobble, but the moment I upgraded to concrete, it all came down.

Haven't played again since I have complained about how they messed up climbing ladders a week ago. Continued my savegame on day 3 now and only a few minutes into the game I really have to wonder how this version can be 1.0 (experimental or not, doesn't matter).

How many hours and how many people have tested this version before it went live? No one noticed that ladders are bugged?

Did they do a chair circle and agreed on "yep, let us make nights really bright so people can't tell whether it is night or daytime anymore and make anything that produces light completely obsolete". Wtf? The last time this game had real nights was back in Alpha 18 or so. At least add a "darkness at night" slider or something. Nights officially suck now!

When they added the different colors and clothes for zombies they agreed on adding a gray fog on all zombie faces as well? They all look like they fell into a grey paint bucket from head to toe. Old zombies looked way better.

When they added the new challenge system they didn't notice that being too specific like "you have to gather this material from this very specific item with this very specific tool, if you get the same material from a different item with a different tool it won't count" is a very bad idea? Dozens of mods are doing that WAY better for years.

Whole game looks like they have added a gray fog on everything. Might be due to bad lighting or whatever but unless the sun is shining everything is tinted with the same grey / brown / dark mud and adds absolutely nothing to an appealing atmosphere.

To be continued... three hours into the new version and I am absolutely disappointed.

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

I think their should be a book about farming 

I wouldn't mind more grind on farming. I get the feeling TFP doesn't want to rework it any more, but if they did- I'd probably push for a chance of crop failure and giving it it's own little 7 book series ala Lucky looter, that after you read most/all, farming starts to feel strong, or maybe just worth it.

10 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Haven't played again since I have complained about how they messed up climbing ladders a week ago. Continued my savegame on day 3 now and only a few minutes into the game I really have to wonder how this version can be 1.0 (experimental or not, doesn't matter).

How many hours and how many people have tested this version before it went live? No one noticed that ladders are bugged?

Did they do a chair circle and agreed on "yep, let us make nights really bright so people can't tell whether it is night or daytime anymore and make anything that produces light completely obsolete". Wtf? The last time this game had real nights was back in Alpha 18 or so. At least add a "darkness at night" slider or something. Nights officially suck now!

When they added the different colors and clothes for zombies they agreed on adding a gray fog on all zombie faces as well? They all look like they fell into a grey paint bucket from head to toe. Old zombies looked way better.

When they added the new challenge system they didn't notice that being too specific like "you have to gather this material from this very specific item with this very specific tool, if you get the same material from a different item with a different tool it won't count" is a very bad idea? Dozens of mods are doing that WAY better for years.

Whole game looks like they have added a gray fog on everything. Might be due to bad lighting or whatever but unless the sun is shining everything is tinted with the same grey / brown / dark mud and adds absolutely nothing to an appealing atmosphere.

To be continued... three hours into the new version and I am absolutely disappointed.

To add to the list:

Just farmed 4 jars of honey from tree stumps with a stone axe but the according challenge still says 2/5. Amazing.

8 minutes ago, Mister Forgash said:

I wouldn't mind more grind on farming. I get the feeling TFP doesn't want to rework it any more, but if they did- I'd probably push for a chance of crop failure and giving it it's own little 7 book series ala Lucky looter, that after you read most/all, farming starts to feel strong, or maybe just worth it.

Crab I wanna make another pimp dream lmao 

53 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Agree, nights should be darker.

54 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Strong disagree. They look great. They look like zombies. The old ones were cool but too vibrant to be a rotting corpse. This change also helps a bit with them not looking so unique so that you notice there are only a handful of models. Also helps them blend in with their surroundings more. Good change.

55 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

I think it is a bit silly that the other tools in the same class don't count, but I look at the challenges as a noob guide. So it's showing them what each tool can do, starting with the T0 ones. Problem is you commonly find hunting knives and stuff before even needing a bone knife so it kind of breaks it.

56 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

I haven't seen it be super noticeable but things do look a bit different. I think it looks fine though.

51 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

FYI stumps spawned in the biomes advance the challenge but POI stumps do not.

Thanks for clarification.

16 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

I think it is a bit silly that the other tools in the same class don't count, but I look at the challenges as a noob guide. So it's showing them what each tool can do, starting with the T0 ones. Problem is you commonly find hunting knives and stuff before even needing a bone knife so it kind of breaks it.

The challenges are supposed to be a noob guide, I agree with that. But now imaging a real noob starts a new game:

"Harvest honey from tree stumps with a stone axe". Noob harvests honey from a tree stump with a stone axe but challenge still says 0/5. What does noob do? Right, he doesn't understand, thinks either game is bugged or he is too stupid to understand.

"Harvest some short iron pipes with a stone axe". Noob harvests iron pipes from different materials but challenge still says 0/10. What does noob do? He thinks he has not enough brain to play this game.

"Harvest some scrap polymer with a stone axe". Noob harvests over 100 scrap polymer with a stone axe, even builds his dew collector with that polymer. Challenge still says 20/100, though. What does noob do? Correct, he eventually starts to cry and questions his whole existence.

"Harvest some rotting flesh with a bone knife". Noob kills 10 zombie dogs and harvests their rotten flesh with a bone knife. Noob looks at this challenge and it still says 0 rotten flesh harvested. What does noob do? You got it, he goes to university to study 7D2D but even with a diploma he won't understand how those challenges work.

Those challenge descriptions even say "you can harvest rotten flesh / leather / pipes / polymer from stuff like bla bla bla but most of the bla bla bla they mention don't actually work. It is just horrific game design and should have never been implemented like that. If this makes it into 1.0 stable I'm running out of words.

1 hour ago, PoloPoPo said:

To add to the list:

Just farmed 4 jars of honey from tree stumps with a stone axe but the according challenge still says 2/5. Amazing.

We noticed that as well with some of the harvesting challenges. You have to be tracking the challenge for it to count. Also, for some of the challenges not all listed options for sources count. Found once you track, you get the hammer/brick collection icon on things that will count for the challenge if you have the proper tool in hand. 

1 hour ago, PoloPoPo said:

To add to the list:

Like someone else mentioned, always track you challenge. I was doing the one where you gather scrap polymer, but it wouldn't advance. Turns out I had to get polymer from scrapping blue drums; nothing else I would scrap would work. By turning on "track" for the quest and following the icons as to where to go, all was fine... The End

20 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Thanks for clarification.

The challenges are supposed to be a noob guide, I agree with that. But now imaging a real noob starts a new game:

"Harvest honey from tree stumps with a stone axe". Noob harvests honey from a tree stump with a stone axe but challenge still says 0/5. What does noob do? Right, he doesn't understand, thinks either game is bugged or he is too stupid to understand.

"Harvest some short iron pipes with a stone axe". Noob harvests iron pipes from different materials but challenge still says 0/10. What does noob do? He thinks he has not enough brain to play this game.

"Harvest some scrap polymer with a stone axe". Noob harvests over 100 scrap polymer with a stone axe, even builds his dew collector with that polymer. Challenge still says 20/100, though. What does noob do? Correct, he eventually starts to cry and questions his whole existence.

"Harvest some rotting flesh with a bone knife". Noob kills 10 zombie dogs and harvests their rotten flesh with a bone knife. Noob looks at this challenge and it still says 0 rotten flesh harvested. What does noob do? You got it, he goes to university to study 7D2D but even with a diploma he won't understand how those challenges work.

Those challenge descriptions even say "you can harvest rotten flesh / leather / pipes / polymer from stuff like bla bla bla but most of the bla bla bla they mention don't actually work. It is just horrific game design and should have never been implemented like that. If this makes it into 1.0 stable I'm running out of words.

They have agreed that the descriptions need work and are changing them to be more clear.  Pretty much everyone agrees that challenges being so specific makes no sense.  In the meantime, track a challenge and it is extremely easy to see what you need to do.

14 minutes ago, cricket504 said:

We noticed that as well with some of the harvesting challenges. You have to be tracking the challenge for it to count. Also, for some of the challenges not all listed options for sources count. Found once you track, you get the hammer/brick collection icon on things that will count for the challenge if you have the proper tool in hand. 

You don't need to track it for it to count.  But you do need to use the correct tool and harvest the correct items.  And, as was mentioned, stumps that are part of a POI so not count.  But tracking these makes them extremely easy to complete and I would definitely recommend it even if they change the descriptions.

Much too bright.

I'm not sure the "Brightness" slider fixes this right.

Progression is good.

Food was tight (a good thing) for quite a while.

Bike is a little weird when dismounting.

New POI's are fun!

hqdefault.jpg

Send....more....cloth.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

6 minutes ago, Morloc said:

Bike is a little weird when dismounting.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

Yeah, this is weird.  I've had to pick up the bike because it kept moving and ended up under a vehicle or between a stop sign and street sign.  I've even run into a tree, causing me to bounce backwards and even though I had stopped pressing forward right before hitting the tree, the bike decided to start moving forward into the tree again all on its own as of the bounce back didn't affect the "inertia" that they have.  I've watched the bike slowly creep along the ground for a very long ways at times.  Not sure what the issue is, but it should be fixed.  I know I can just stop fully before getting off the bike, but I don't really want to since stopping isn't instantaneous either.

What is annoying is when the bicycle speeds up after you dismount it when in motion, that is not inertia.  In reality, I can dismount a moving bike and lay it down without damaging it (did that a lot as a kid), would be nice to have this option in game.  And having brakes on the bike that actually worked would be good.  😁

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, this is weird.  I've had to pick up the bike because it kept moving and ended up under a vehicle or between a stop sign and street sign.  I've even run into a tree, causing me to bounce backwards and even though I had stopped pressing forward right before hitting the tree, the bike decided to start moving forward into the tree again all on its own as of the bounce back didn't affect the "inertia" that they have.  I've watched the bike slowly creep along the ground for a very long ways at times.  Not sure what the issue is, but it should be fixed.  I know I can just stop fully before getting off the bike, but I don't really want to since stopping isn't instantaneous either.

I've found that holding down brake (SPACE) while you hit the E key seems to be a workaround for this, the bike pretty much stops dead next to you. Weirdly it doesn't really matter how much you brake before hitting dismount, so long as you have the brakes on when you dismount.

4 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Definitely hoping the ladder bug gets fixed. That's really glaring.

Just now, Adam the Waster said:

and they added a new hazmat sound? interesting

im kinda shocked they nerfed the preacher chest and not the gloves, cuz the gloves were the strongest out of any of it 

Seems like it was part of an overall correction to a stacking issue across multiple armour sets where the player could become completely damage-immune. Any potential balance pass across armour as a whole is still to come, if it does.