Spectacular Ways to Die.

Ramethzer0

So lately the forums feel soured for me in a few ways that I wont go into.  However, to take the initiative on this I wanted to share some spectacular ways I have died trying to do something that I prolly shouldn't have.

Back in a16.4 if you remember, it was the wild west of world generation.  I can recall vast trenches at the base of tall peaks and cliffside roads.   Once, just to see what would happen, I drove my minibike off of one of those cliffs.   I want to share that I have a pretty strong fear of heights.   In a moment of spectacular enlightened madness I decided I needed to have this experience.   I made a short wooden ramp at the edge where I had a good amount of space to reach maximum speed (back then, the speed of a minibike was based upon its quality level IIRC).  I revved, and blasted off - and instantly regretted my choice when I respawned finding myself at some random spot on the map nearly 8 km away.   I lost everything in the bike and on my corpse and it was enough for me to start over on a new public map.

I've been torn apart by packs of dogs more times than I care to count.  I remember when they didn't always growl before they got too close.  Ninja animals like dogs, wolfs, and bears were not uncommon.

I have fired a rocket launcher into a wall purely on reflex, in a house made entirely of wood before I realized it was made entirely of wood.  It took me a while to dig my corpse out of the rubble and get my stuff back.

Remember that time when you first realized that grenades WILL go off in your hands if they've been primed?   Pepperidge Farm remembers!

I've driven into a buddies uncapped mine shaft and fallen to my doom.   The fact the landscaped hadn't rendered so quickly was partially to blame.     >.>    <.<

Recently, I've tried to kill a snake in a small town shortly after I spawned fresh into a new world.   For some damn reason I couldn't hit the damn thing with my bone knife and it eventually killed me because I was too boneheaded to let a snake get the best of me.     The shame of this defeat still resonates.

I have been torn apart by a swarm of buzzards back in A18 due to their newly minted turbo boost function when chasing down survivors in vehicles.   Ugh.  I'm likely not alone in this experience at all.

I once was invited to check out a mine from a buddy of mine who wanted me to see something specific.   I open the cap, go down a flight of stairs only to learn that part of his ladder is broken and I fall all the way down into a bunch of spike traps.   In my buddies defense, he needed them because the auger was heating his chunk up pretty strongly and he needed the extra protection.   However, my pride was wounded grievously.

I got to give it to Neebs Gaming for having THE BEST death scene in 7 Days.  In one of the games they played in A16, when the gang is inside a nasty dungeon style POI and Neebs points out there's a spinning fan blade inside the room.   Simon doesn't see it because its above him.  Appsro tells Simon to hit space bar, and without even thinking about it he does so, catching full on Cuisinart action right into hamburger.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, Ramethzer0 said:

I've driven into a buddies uncapped mine shaft and fallen to my doom.   The fact the landscaped hadn't rendered so quickly was partially to blame.     >.>    <.<

I've done this multiple times at my own base.  Granted, it was back when the bug that would render ground that wasn't there still existed.

In my case, they were not spectacular deaths, but rather stupid ones.

I actually managed to die of either hunger or thirst in A15. I went to lunch and forgot to pause the game. Since I was in my base, I didn't think much when I got back to the computer, but my character was dead. He had either died of thirst or starvation.

The second death happened in A17 while I was mining resources. I wasn't paying attention to the HP meter and from time to time a block of gravel would fall down and did a little damage. A block slid down down, barely touched me in the foot, and my character dropped dead.

My next stupid death was caused by a mine. I already had the best armor you could have at that point, and mines did very little damage before. But what I didn't know was that in this version, the developers had fixed the mines to do the damage specified in the XML files. And the damage was so high that I died instantly the moment I carelessly stepped on a mine.

And the last stupid death happened to me when I messed with a pig on day 1. Do not underestimate them.

First stupid death for me was when I was playing multiplayer with some friends for the first time and still new to the game. We were sitting in a small base we made first night and I was looking at broken glass. Meant to hit "recipe" but I hit "use" instead and died in front of everybody.

Hitting E while flying to where our 2nd base was planned to be.

Running to get in the base before night fell only to realize as I was crossing the drawbridge that my buddy was closing it and dropping into the pit of spiked doom (back when we had log spikes).

Killed by a falling tree.

Not bothering to tap the floor in a poi that I had already experienced a trap floor in.

The very first time exploring the bear poi.

The very first time finding the contruction house / z bear poi.

Gracie...

Oh man, I've been there for so many of these, or variants thereof.

I remembered more today.   Anyone else recall their first time fat fingering a key and ejecting themselves from a Gyro while in flight a mile above the ground?  Or travelling through the wasteland while on a minibike and hitting mines you didn't see in time?

I've said this one in another thread before, but during the first time playing with my latest cohort of buddies (I recruited them shortly after A17 went stable) I feel through a trap floor down into a basement that had several sleepers within.   There was no light anywhere, and I had not looted a headlight mod yet.   It was night time.  It was not my best moment.  I was torn to absolute shreds within seconds.

*shaking my guilty head*

EDITED: posted as the exact same time as Darthjake.  Jinx!

I usually don't like dying from an ambush but having a high platform shot out from under me (or stepping on a mine I did not see) in the construction POI was a big surprise that I respected.

The first time I met a wolf pack, I died. 

Trying to loot a police car without lockpicks at a low level -- instant swarm death. 

Panicked in the Shotgun factory, ran into water, and died.

Those are memorable.

... and I play at Adventurer with slower zombies and I don't die often.

At the opposite end of the scale, did you know that you can turn off zombies by turning off "spawning" -- THAT is a different game. Very good for a second play attempt. I explored _all_ of Johnnytown and that's how I first learned that POIs were going to be far more interesting than I had expected. And realized that they would be more fun with zombies. 

Edited by avalonnn (see edit history)

Yeah, a bunny. I play on widescreen and there was this thing popping in the left down corner. Thought it was a crawler, a silent one. Didn`t even focused my eyes to see what it is, but jumped away only to land on a landmine, near a military poi. Instant death. It was a bunny, not a crawling mf..on perma death gameplay. 

Good stories guys, parts of why we love this game.

I once jumped off of the Dishong Tower after swearing to god I swallowed an Oh @%$#z candy.   I  didn't.   And, I absolutely deserved this death.

The best part?   Just as I leapt from the roof, I cried out "I REGRET NOTHIIIIING" in Discord, and then SPLAT.    I got roasted pretty good by my friends after.

Turns out, I did have a regret.