Deer need to be worked on. I'm getting too much meat

ElCabong

There's too many deer and they are too easy to kill. I accidentally killed one on a bicycle.  I swerved to the right trying to miss it and it tried to get out of my way only it wasn't fast enough. It was a glancing blow, that was enough to kill it.

Meat over supply is going to be tricky to fix. You have multiplayers and single players and I don't see how one solution will work for both.

I think deer are a step down from the quantity of meat I would have in A19 or A20, with the nightly wolves and bears. Soon as I got a crossbow I was out every night on my bike, just filling the grill on my campfire. I could separate my day looting and night hunting back then -- now I need to hunt more chickens and rabbits as I go as you can't rely on deer as you could wolves and bears.

3 minutes ago, OneManStanding said:

I think deer are a step down from the quantity of meat I would have in A19 or A20, with the nightly wolves and bears. Soon as I got a crossbow I was out every night on my bike, just filling the grill on my campfire. I could separate my day looting and night hunting back then -- now I need to hunt more chickens and rabbits as I go as you can't rely on deer as you could wolves and bears.

There are a lot of deer, but unlike wolves and bears they tend to run away, not at you.

Honestly, the amount of meat you can get in A21 isn't really any different than A20, it's just not as dangerous to get.

Admittedly, I get a bit annoyed trying to dodge chickens and rabbits on my motorcycle.  I sideswiped a chicken with my rear tire the other day and it did 3% damage to my motorcycle. :(

2 minutes ago, Krougal said:

WTAF!!!

I have not seen a single deer in A21 and you guys are complaining there are too many?

??

In the forest biome I get one a night from perch.  Chickens are 1 a  block almost.  I aint seen no bears or wolves.  Were they moved somewhere specifically?  Tween chickens and rabbits I aint going hungry.

Although for some reason the RnG believes I need to go to school to grill meat.

19 minutes ago, Rotor said:

??

In the forest biome I get one a night from perch.  Chickens are 1 a  block almost.  I aint seen no bears or wolves.  Were they moved somewhere specifically?  Tween chickens and rabbits I aint going hungry.

I must have an A20 mod that wasn't updated properly messing with my spawning file then. Glad I happened to look at this post.

It's been bothering me, but not enough to remember to fix it.

Yup, one of Jax mods.

<!-- *** BIOME_ANIMAL_WILD_GAME_FOREST_NIGHT_GROUP -->
    <!-- NONE must not be the first entry since first name determines if enemy group -->
    <entitygroup name="WildGameForestNight">
        animalDoe, 15
        none, 85
    </entitygroup>    

<!-- *** BIOME_ANIMAL_WILD_GAME_FOREST_NIGHT_GROUP -->
	<!-- NONE must not be the first entry since first name determines if enemy group -->
	<entitygroup name="WildGameForestNight">
		animalDoe, 15
		none, 85
	</entitygroup>	

Is the only entitygroup with deer and that is the one spawn he didn't replace after nuking all of them.

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Rotor said:

??

I have found wolves in the city. Not in the forest.

2 hours ago, Dark Wun said:

Were you drinking any beer prior to the deer encounter?

No. Wasn't drinking this time

2 hours ago, Rotor said:

??

Bears and wolves were moved out of the forest.  I've seen them in the snowy forest often.  Desert doesn't have any and wasteland are the zombie bears.

They said this change is part of work on balancing something (my guess is food/meat).  We will likely see more changes that go along with this balancing at some point.

So I don't live in the pine forest. We have no deer. I am a desert-dweller or snow-dweller. We can kill bears up north but the best we have down south are coyotes. Wolves at night if your gamestage is high enough. I don't see it as a big issue since the pine forest is supposedly the starter/newbie area and should be easy for new players.

2 hours ago, Riamus said:

Bears and wolves were moved out of the forest.  I've seen them in the snowy forest often.  Desert doesn't have any and wasteland are the zombie bears.

They said this change is part of work on balancing something (my guess is food/meat).  We will likely see more changes that go along with this balancing at some point.

Rgr, although would mind seeing either once in a while in the forest.

On 8/13/2023 at 6:39 AM, ElCabong said:

There's too many deer and they are too easy to kill. I accidentally killed one on a bicycle.  I swerved to the right trying to miss it and it tried to get out of my way only it wasn't fast enough. It was a glancing blow, that was enough to kill it.

Meat over supply is going to be tricky to fix. You have multiplayers and single players and I don't see how one solution will work for both.

You don't have to kill and harvest every deer you see.  Once I get enough meat for the play through, which isn't all that much really, I let those animals live!

I don't see a problem with the amount of deer in A21.

45 minutes ago, zombiehunter said:

You don't have to kill and harvest every deer you see.  Once I get enough meat for the play through, which isn't all that much really, I let those animals live!

I don't see a problem with the amount of deer in A21.

That's right and I don't kill every deer I see. Once I get my pipe pistol made I hunt chickens and rabbits. Mainly chickens because they have feathers.

Well would you like it reduced to 10 like the chicken and rabbit? That would be stupid.

I had enough meat before I fixed my spawning problem, but then there are at least 2 POIs I know of full of pigs, not to mention the odd farm with pigs.

統計をとると明確になりますが、食料の入手期待値は必要量の10倍を簡単に超えます。
自動販売機からの缶詰の購入を含めて良いのであれば、1度の更新において数日分の食料が手に入るため、肉の入手数が多いことは、全体からみると問題のごく一部です。
つまり、動物を今より増やしたとしても、全体のゲームバランスにはほぼ影響がないといえます。

(Google Translation)

As the statistics make clear, the expected food availability can easily exceed ten times the required amount.
If you're willing to include canned food purchases from vending machines, you'll get several days' worth of food in a single refresh, so the high availability of meat is only part of the problem overall. 
In other words, even if we increase the number of animals more than now, it can be said that there is almost no impact on the overall game balance.