Gamestage - Is This Normal?

zombiehunter

Hey Survivors,  I am still in my first A21 playthrough.  It is now Day 67 and I am Level 74.  I've got 5440 kills with one death, playing on Warrior level.  My game stage is 274.  Is this normal?  I don't think I ever reached that game stage in hundreds of hours in A20, playing to a much higher level on Survivor level with no deaths.  It seems out of whack.  Has anybody else noticed this?

Were you in a POI or a non-forest biome?  That'll jack your game stage up real quick.

I looked at my gamestage once on day 12, and it was like 160 and I was terrified about getting demos, but when I looked at it later it was like 70, and I realized I'd been in a tier 4 POI when I initially looked at it.

17 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

Were you in a POI or a non-forest biome?  That'll jack your game stage up real quick.

I looked at my gamestage once on day 12, and it was like 160 and I was terrified about getting demos, but when I looked at it later it was like 70, and I realized I'd been in a tier 4 POI when I initially looked at it.

Ahhh, that's it.  When I looked at it I was in the snow biome.  Now I'm in the forest and it is 166.  I guess I didn't realize the biome has an effect on game stage.

Thanks!

16 hours ago, zombiehunter said:

Ahhh, that's it.  When I looked at it I was in the snow biome.  Now I'm in the forest and it is 166.  I guess I didn't realize the biome has an effect on game stage.

Thanks!

In A21 biome and poi tier gives a boost to your gamestage, no more free higher loot stage in wasteland with poi's having zombies no diff than the forest anymore like you did in A20.

On 7/13/2023 at 4:04 PM, warmer said:

This will affect your base as well if you don't put down a land claim and are occupying a POI. I learned this the hard way. I believe the horde is based on game stage you are in when it triggers.

Wait, so... what? So like, a land claim block has an effect on game stage now? I've always just thrown them away when playing solo and have never had any issues with game stage (mind you, it's been a few years since I last made a base outside of forest biome).

2 hours ago, Fox said:

Wait, so... what? So like, a land claim block has an effect on game stage now? I've always just thrown them away when playing solo and have never had any issues with game stage (mind you, it's been a few years since I last made a base outside of forest biome).

If you don't place the landclaim down in a POI radius, and that POI can still spawn zombies, they will be at the heightened gamestage.

Once you place the land claim block, the POI ceases to be able to spawn, so the zombies will all have to originate outside it's radius. I haven't checked this and verified the gamestage once placed, but given that this removes zombies from spawning, my "assumption" is that they are relative to to their spawn location, and since it can not be in the adjust POI radius, they should spawn at a lower gamestage.

Now I need to check this as I could just be talking out of my ass

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

On 7/18/2023 at 4:00 PM, warmer said:

Are you on social media?

I know Jim Carrey did it years ago and had some fair success with it but in todays age of being able to get it out to the public pretty much instantly and to many more people I am sure the vid would go viral

and you would probably become very famous.

:D

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

On 7/18/2023 at 2:30 PM, warmer said:

If you don't place the landclaim down in a POI radius, and that POI can still spawn zombies, they will be at the heightened gamestage.

Once you place the land claim block, the POI ceases to be able to spawn, so the zombies will all have to originate outside it's radius. I haven't checked this and verified the gamestage once placed, but given that this removes zombies from spawning, my "assumption" is that they are relative to to their spawn location, and since it can not be in the adjust POI radius, they should spawn at a lower gamestage.

I would have thought that a bedroll would accomplish the same thing... preventing the area from refreshing with new POI zombies.

20 hours ago, Fox said:

I would have thought that a bedroll would accomplish the same thing... preventing the area from refreshing with new POI zombies.

It should, but it's area is not enough to cover an entire POI so not the best option if you want a POI as your base.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

I started to play A21 this week (taking a break from Diablo 4 and the atrocious patch 1.1) and by arrogance as a veteran player (over 3k hours) my chosen map was 66% wasteland, 17% snow and 17% desert. I said to myself "this new system can't be too punitive". I have learned the hard way it can and will. My original spawn was snow and I died on the very first day, got ferals, cops and radiated zombies on tier 2 quests day 3 (died twice due lack of gear), day 7 horde (gamestage 85) couldn't finished it with 160 pipe bombs and 350 9mm (there was a lot of zombies and already killed over 300. I was baffed. I played full wasteland map on A20 and only saw over 300 zombies on horde night by day 35 at the bare mininum, never this early as of today. It's true I play 64 zombies and warrior settings, but A21 is definitely harder in general, specially starting outside forest.

I always critized the new magazine system because I'm a solo builder, but it seems block damage is higher so you spend less time and it's a good trade off. The new water system is amazing as I expected: you definitely have to face hard choices sometimes.

I'll start a new map tomorrow, no forest again, but with a larger desert area which could be a bit more friendly than snow (thinking 56% wasteland, 17% snow and 27% desert).

Edited by lord_ahriman (see edit history)