Are Q6 items supposed to have lower durability then Q5 items? Bug, or intentional?

TopAce6

got a Q6 M60 as a quest reward, noticed it has 125 lower durability then my q5, so i opened the console and spawned in many more to see if it was a one off.

every q5 m60 has at-least 650 durability while every single Q6 M60 has around 525, is that intentional?

notice the effective range is also much lower.

not sure if bug or intentional, but it sure is crappy.

pics included.

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (22).png

Edited by TopAce6 (see edit history)

I would check if other tier3 weapons are similar or not.

If not, then it would clearly point to being a bug. If yes, there is a chance it is actually intended, but I can't imagine why.

tldr; I would say a bug.

Int the XML of vanilla I see this:

passive_effect name="DegradationMax" operation="base_set" value="300,650" tier="1,6" tags="perkMachineGunner,perkBookAutoWeapons"/>

which would normally mean that quality6 machine gun would have 650 durability

but also this:

<passive_effect name="DegradationMax" operation="perc_add" value="-.2,.2" tags="perkMachineGunner"/>

which adds a +-20% random value to the weapon. Not sure why ALL the durabilities are the same in your case, maybe just chance. But generally durability should have a large random factor on any weapon,  except that the weapons from creative menu all have the same.

EDIT: Sephiroth says even in creative menue the values are random. Possibly, such details can change between alphas.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

This happens on all tiers. Enable creative mode, open the creative window, type in "M60". If a purple shows up, check its stats or even copy it into your inventory. Delete the zero in "M60" and add it back until another purple spawns in the creative window. Check the stats. They can vary wildly. Same for any other tier. Type "M60" until a tier 3 shows up. Check stats, repeat. Stats are random, even when crafting an item. I made four AKs a day or two ago. All four were tier five and all four had different stats.

I do agree though, the highest tier 5 should not be better than the lowest tier 6.

I spawned around a dozen each  q6 and q5 m60s, all of the q6  had much lower durability then any of q5's.

And hea I checked the xml to see what was up with it, and as far as I can tell it looks right in the file.

don't want to submit a big report if its intentional.

I never compared, but good find. I would assume it's a bug, but I am not a dev so it might be for a reason. Hopefully, a team member can chime in.

Meganoth, it was random in the creative menu in A20 and I THINK A19. A19 was a while ago, so I may be wrong, but if you type M60 and take a bunch, they're identical. When you type "M60" again, the stats change with each keypress.

Edited by The_Great_Sephiroth (see edit history)

+/- 20% is a large random variation range.  Entity damage was change to only +/- 2% random variation in order to minimize the overlap between the quality levels.

And the effect gets larger as the Q level increases

20% of durability at Q1 is +/- 60 while 20% at Q6 is +/- 130.  When the quality levels are only around 70 difference as you increase quality levels, you are going to see this occurring.

Range has the same +/- 20% variation in it.

Edited by BFT2020
Divided by an extra quality level (see edit history)

this isn't a 1 off, every single q5 m60 i made had significantly higher durability then  any q6, and i made sure to reset the stats of each one i spawned by retyping. i cannot get a single q6 m60 anywhere remotely close to any q5.

i've been testing over and over, jsut to make sure. 

TLDR q5 better then q6 by a lot, except a small damage boost on q6

also the range is still way worse. its honestly a pretty big downgrade, a few points of damage is not worth the massive durability loss, and range loss.

Edited by TopAce6 (see edit history)

I checked the m60 and the desert vulture. Both had the same problem. 

I also checked all quality levels of the desert vulture and at least from creative menue the range of durability randomness seemed much less than 20%. So somehow the XML and the reality (as seen by creative menue) seem not to fit.

I would say, make a bug report.

There usually is a red banner in the forum header with "Report an Alpha21 bug". Following the link will lead to Instructions and to the place where you should post the bug. Maybe mention that someone else saw the same thing in vanilla without any mods.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, TopAce6 said:

I made sure to read the instructions, but I think you're saying I posted it in the wrong place?

yes, bug reports go into the "Bug Pool" under "A21 Bugs" (the same location where the instructions are), rather than the "General Support" section. As far as I know the only way to get to that area is via the instructions page. Once you're on that instructions page, you can see a list of categories on the top right, one of them is called "Bug Pool"

fine print note: while there is or may be a list of places to put the report... the correct place is in the a21 bug pool and not in any other section... qa members will examine and place them appropriately. :)

putting reports in wrong section will slow down the process. (you may see this and you may not)

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 08-29-18 Create New Record.png

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)