Nothing says open world survival crafting like being forced to run quests.....

VALL

22 minutes ago, meganoth said:

But from TFP's standpoint it isn't a screw up at all.

I may be speaking out of my league here, but the game was always designed and balanced by TFP for 1-8 people playing the whole game. "Fringe" styles like playing completely without trader, playing completely without looting POI's, playing nomad, playing with blood moon every night, playing pacifist, playing without leaving a tier5 building, playing completely underground and whatever else you can think of are not balanced and tested for viability at all. TFP has not the manpower to do this and even if they had they can't develop the game for the normal players in the way they want to if they have to accomodate all these other play styles. So those other play styles worked in earlier alphas because of many missing mechanisms that made the game more like a sandbox and incidentally often by chance.

If you want to play a fringe play style, then you have to make sure yourself (or in combo with like minded players) that it is somewhat balanced for you again, or you have to accept that it may be getting harder or weirder any time. Because by chance any change to vanilla that makes totally sense for normal players can be bad for your play style.

But the game gives you so many tools to correct problems thrown in the way of your play style. I think you are better off trying to find ways to get your type of game back by way of cm, options or mods than trying to get TFP to change back something that made a lot of "normal" players happy.

I've done mega builds going in to 700 days with 20 people, I know how to play multiplayer, so trust me, this new "find your recipes" is actually a hindrence for that kind of play style.

You are here telling everyone why they are wrong, but you never consider that you're the one that has absolutely no idea what the player base wants. The player base is not you, and it's not the fun pimps. 

Just throw up a poll and see how wrong you are. And don't give me the "it's their game" @%$#e, cause if that's their attitude, the sequal they are working on is dead before it launches. 

Edited by Maverick (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I've done mega builds going in to 700 days with 20 people, I know how to play multiplayer, so trust me, this new "find your recipes" is actually a hindrence for that kind of play style.

You are here telling everyone why they are wrong, but you never consider that you're the one that has absolutely no idea what the player base wants. The player base is not you, and it's not the fun pimps. 

Just throw up a poll and see how wrong you are. And don't give me the "it's their game" @%$#e, cause if that's their attitude, the sequal they are working on is dead before it launches. 

Do you think a majority of the player base does not engage with a core mechanic of the game, quests and looting? 

1 minute ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Do you think a majority of the player base does not engage with a core mechanic of the game, quests and looting? 

I think the majority of the players want freedom to play the game they want, without having to mod or cheat. And time and again, this game is narrowing it's focus, making people resort to third party changes.

That's just @%$#ed from a development standpoint.

Why not go gold now and say "we know everyone else can do it better so we give up"?

Alpha 21 has no new major changes other than graphics updates and this, a stupid change no one asked for. 

Alpha 21 will drop to Alpha 20.7 player levels within 2 months after which the devs will need a whole year to generate a new Alpha and new interest. 

This Alpha pretty much shows that attention has already been directed to the follow up game. So stop messing up a good thing. 

18 minutes ago, Maverick said:

If you don't have at least one looter in your group then yes, it is quite a hindrance. And I never said anything different. Why would I have suggested CM if it wasn't a problem for you now?

18 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Kosmik Kerman said it quite well. Also take into account that TFP has telemetry so they more than likely know how the "player base" plays.

3 minutes ago, meganoth said:

If you don't have at least one looter in your group then yes, it is quite a hindrance. And I never said anything different. Why would I have suggested CM if it wasn't a problem for you now?

Kosmik Kerman said it quite well. Also take into account that TFP has telemetry so they more than likely know how the "player base" plays.

The fact the Madmole was laughed at for not knowing his own game when he did the announcement streams should tell you enough. 

11 minutes ago, Maverick said:

The fact the Madmole was laughed at for not knowing his own game when he did the announcement streams should tell you enough. 

If you like you can change the "know how the "player base" plays" to "think they know how the "player base" plays". And it won't change reality one bit. I haven't seem them say anywhere that because of their player base being pure builders they are now throwing out all the POIs and zombies.

By the way, what is your opinion about the new shapes and doors they added? As a builder I thought you would have cared for that.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Just now, meganoth said:

If you like you can change the "know how the "player base" plays" to "think they know how the "player base" plays". And it won't change reality one bit. I haven't seem them say anywhere that because of their player base being pure builders they are now throwing out all the POIs and zombies.

By the way, what is your opinion about the new shapes they added? As a builder I thought you would have cared for that.

You read what you want to read and think yourself smart for it: I never said it's only builder, only looters or only zombie killer, I said it's about the freedom to choose your own play style and this alpha steering away from that,  but what ever floats your boat.

I started with saying that the new blocks and shapes are great, but how long do you think a couple of new windows and doors are going to stand up against the core game being changed? That's a minor plus vs a big minus.

What the hell have they been doing for the last year and a half? Rewrote the code to Unity5?

6 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I started with saying that the new blocks and shapes are great, but how long do you think a couple of new windows and doors are going to stand up against the core game being changed? That's a minor plus vs a big minus.

The core game hasn't changed though.  It is still a survival, looting, crafting, building, zombie defense game in a total destructible world.  However, if you want to eliminate or ignore certain aspects of the game, you will have issues unless you mod the game to address those issues or use CM like meganoth suggested.

If the core game was simply building structures, then you would have a point on the changes made.

1 minute ago, BFT2020 said:

The core game hasn't changed though.  It is still a survival, looting, crafting, building, zombie defense game in a total destructible world.  However, if you want to eliminate or ignore certain aspects of the game, you will have issues unless you mod the game to address those issues or use CM like meganoth suggested.

If the core game was simply building structures, then you would have a point on the changes made.

And yet, up untill one week ago, it wasn't an issue, and here we are. 

4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

You read what you want to read and think yourself smart for it: I never said it's only builder, only looters or only zombie killer, I said it's about the freedom to choose your own play style and this alpha steering away from that,  but what ever floats your boat.

Now actually if you do some looting and questing by the side there may be far less problems ahead of you than you think. Magazines are only for crafting and most magazines are completely optional even for a builder. And that includes the tools magazines for example as you should be able to sometimes buy better tools at the trader.

4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

What the hell have they been doing for the last year and a half? Rewrote the code to Unity5?

They worked on bandits, getting them maybe to 80% release-worthy (just my estimate from hearing Fataal talk about it). I think that ate a lot of their time but won't be seen at all until A22.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Now actually if you do some looting and questing by the side there may be far less problems ahead of you than you think. Magazines are only for crafting and most magazines are completely optional even for a builder. And that includes the tools magazines for example as you should be able to sometimes buy better tools at the trader.

They worked on bandits, getting them maybe to 80% release-worthy (just my estimate from hearing Fataal talk about it). I think that ate a lot of their time but won't be seen at all until A22.

Tbh I hope there is a option to disable bandits entirely, I've personally never wanted them and I don't feel a zombie survival game needs them either, who is going to care about a zombie when you got a bandit with a assault rifle around? Its the same thing with alot of zombie tv shows like the walking dead etc, the zombies themselves are basically not even a issue after the first few seasons, its other people that are the problem. Not to mention most of the zombie deaths in the walking dead are stupid and completly avoidable if the people have any sort of intelligence. I mean you can literally crawl faster than the zombies can move, how the hell do they catch you?

Just now, Scyris said:

Tbh I hope there is a option to disable bandits entirely, I've personally never wanted them and I don't feel a zombie survival game needs them either, who is going to care about a zombie when you got a bandit with a assault rifle around? Its the same thing with alot of zombie tv shows like the walking dead etc, the zombies themselves are basically not even a issue after the first few seasons, its other people that are the problem. Not to mention most of the zombie deaths in the walking dead are stupid and completly avoidable if the people have any sort of intelligence. I mean you can literally crawl faster than the zombies can move, how the hell do they catch you?

Yeah, I hope it is optional as well.  I like this game because it is zombies I'm fighting.  I'm not sure I'll have any interest in killing people in this game.  I doubt they'll make it optional, though.  Probably something that'll have to be modded out.

5 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, I hope it is optional as well.  I like this game because it is zombies I'm fighting.  I'm not sure I'll have any interest in killing people in this game.  I doubt they'll make it optional, though.  Probably something that'll have to be modded out.

I mean Melee bandits are fine, those are nothing more then a new zombie type, its the gun using laser beam enemies I am worried about. Heard thats partly why bandits got delayed till a22 in the first place. The fact TFP can't get them to just not be laser beam aimbots due to the fact the guns uses a instahit raycast/hit scan system.

2 hours ago, Scyris said:

I mean Melee bandits are fine, those are nothing more then a new zombie type, its the gun using laser beam enemies I am worried about. Heard thats partly why bandits got delayed till a22 in the first place. The fact TFP can't get them to just not be laser beam aimbots due to the fact the guns uses a instahit raycast/hit scan system.

Never heard of this. Ok, my memory is not the best, but I'm fairly sure no dev ever said this here on the forum.

It is also a rather silly rumour in my opinion because all a dev needs to do is add a random generator to roll hit location like it is done for arrows in this game. Just increase the circle of randomness and you can achieve anything between sharpshooter and blind drunk hobo. 

In other words, why should it be a problem if the solution is already implemented in the game?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

lmao... its amazing how the grapevine changes 300%. 🤢

at that rate the bandits will probably each fly around in the gyros dropping bombs on players and bases. 🤔

but really... as i am with meganoth on this that i have never heard of such a thing as lasers and bandits... sounds like someones mod maybe. :)

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

3 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

at that rate the bandits will probably each fly around in the gyros dropping bombs on players and bases. 🤔

but really... as i am with meganoth on this that i have never heard of such a thing as lasers and bandits... sounds like someones mod maybe. :)

Oooh... Now I know what kind of mod to ask for... bandits+gyro+bombs.  Lol! :D

6 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

No, the rumor seems not to be about actual lasers, just that bandits would unerringly hit the player from any distance and therefore would be practically a death sentence for any normal player. And that TFP was not able to make them miss a shot.

But when a mechanism that makes players miss randomly is already in the game that rumor can be easily refuted

10 hours ago, Scyris said:

You mean the "bandits" you often see in mods ? As far as I know, they only use the models that are already in the game, but then use their own AI, which is more of an Aimbot than something you could call AI.

I'm sure when the real bandits are in vanilla, they will shoot with stormtrooper accuracy.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

9 hours ago, meganoth said:

No, the rumor seems not to be about actual lasers, just that bandits would unerringly hit the player from any distance and therefore would be practically a death sentence for any normal player. And that TFP was not able to make them miss a shot.

Eh? If that rumor is true than who wrote the rest of the game for them? (hint: that's not a hard problem to solve, esp. compared to 1000s of problem they had to solve till now).

18 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

Nah, people have been asking for end game bosses, so TFP needs to put in a 30ft zombie (9 meters for my non-English units friends 😉 ) with a nuclear bomb strapped to its back.  Nobody said it has to be a winnable fight though  😉