New laptop

Dan03261

I currently play 7DTD on an old laptop and rarely get FPS above 15, very hard to play sometimes.  I need a laptop for the portability.  I have a budget of about $1000. A friend recommended this laptop.  Lenovo Ideapad 3i Gaming - 15.6" FHD Display - Intel Core i5-12500H - 8GB DDR4 RAM - 512GB M.2 TLC SSD - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Graphics - Windows 11 Home - Onyx Grey (amazon.com)   I'll upgrade the RAM to 32GB when I buy it.

Will this work well for 7DTD.

Thanks.

Hey

Just happened to be browsing the forums and saw this. Honestly, it's not ideal, especially for that price. I would keep an eye out for deals onLegion laptops, I've seen better ones for just a little bit more than what that one is going for. You'll want at least 16gb of ram, and that CPU isn't really the best in the world (it runs stupid hot too, so it will be throttled all the time). The 3050... I have the desktop version, it does well but I only have it because it was during the shortage, and it was either buy that or spend 2,000$ on a 500$ card lol; it's not the greatest thing for sure, it struggles with some things (though, at least, I can play 7 days on it at a respectable FPS at 2k res).

Post edit, any laptop or desktop that's above the 200 - 400$ price range (IMO, period) should have at least 16GB of ram. Honestly, 8GB is becoming outdated, just alone on the desktop with web browsers open, discord, windows 11, I'm using a little over 8GB of ram (and I have my system optimized).

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

I have that CPU in some of our work machies. It only has four performance cores, and they throttle really fast. The game isn't going to use any of the other cores, so they're basically a waste.  My personal work laptop has the i7 version, and I just spent the last two days fixing the fan speeds and an extra laptop cooler so I could run a Zoom meeting while having a couple of Excel windows open. 

Currently in the laptop scene, AMD is totally the way to go. Intel's last three generations have been utter crap in performance even on desktop chips, and the new split core technology in 12th-gen doesn't work well for gaming. (Note that AMD's new 3D chipsets suffer a similar fate.)  Your current laptop choice would be more appropriately priced around $500. Hell you can even switch the button on that Laptop selection screen and get the AMD 5600H for cheaper, and it will have better overall performance. They only put the word "Gaming" on there to fool you into buying it, and Lenovo is almost as bad as Apple for overcharging you. 

If you want a "moderate" gaming laptop, you're looking at closer to $900-1000 as a starting point. If you want something "good", you're probably around $1300-1800. And again... because it's a laptop, that $1500 system will run about the same as a $750 desktop most of the time.

If your willing to come up alittle, you can get something like this for $1500 after tax/shipping.

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-legion-5-pro-16"-gaming-laptop---12th-gen-intel-core-i7-12700h---geforce-rtx-3050ti---165hz-2560-x-1600-display----windows-11.product.100976642.html

I use a MSI ge raider which is alittle beefier then this model.

It plays 7d2d and other games really well but can run really hot mainly due to Intel CPU.  I have a a laptop cooler it sits on top of which helps a ton imo.

I probably would prefer a desktop but my current situation warrants me to be able to be mobile.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

I have a laptop with a 12700H. They do indeed run hot. I had to replace the thermal paste with liquid metal to stop it throttling, but can now run Prime95 for hours with throttling. 

Having 2 fewer p cores should make it easier to cool. It does mean you have no spare p cores left to handle background tasks, but they are meant to run on e cores anyway. 

Other things worth noting is the 1080p display. A bit low? Also DDR4 RAM, even though that chipset supports DDR5. 

It really is a one generation old, entry level gaming laptop. With the RAM upgrade, I'd expect it would run reasonbly well, but as others have pointed out, a bit more budget would seem to go a fair way further.

29 minutes ago, Pernicious said:

I have a laptop with a 12700H. They do indeed run hot. I had to replace the thermal paste with liquid metal to stop it throttling, but can now run Prime95 for hours with throttling. 

Having 2 fewer p cores should make it easier to cool. It does mean you have no spare p cores left to handle background tasks, but they are meant to run on e cores anyway. 

Other things worth noting is the 1080p display. A bit low?

For playing 7d2d 1080p is an advantage really. Screen resolution is a big factor for performance.

29 minutes ago, Pernicious said:

Also DDR4 RAM, even though that chipset supports DDR5. 

It really is a one generation old, entry level gaming laptop. With the RAM upgrade, I'd expect it would run reasonbly well, but as others have pointed out, a bit more budget would seem to go a fair way further.

40 minutes ago, warmer said:

what are you smoking?

I mean, pre-pandemic I built a nice little gaming rig for about $450.  i7-8700k, 1070, 16GB RAM, SSD primary and platters secondary. Now though, that kind of setup starts around $650 in a desktop.

Also, why the hell would anyone sell a "gaming" PC with only 8GB RAM?  Industry standard for gaming has been 16GB for almost a decade. It'll be 32GB in about a year.

• 3 months later...

Do you really need it to be a laptop? If not, you get more for you money with a desktop. And 1000$ can get you a really decent desktop PC for 7 days. Not on ultra settings or anything but way better than any laptop at the same price can do.

So if you don´t really need it to be a laptop that would be the way better choice.

Yes, i know monitor costs extra. You can get really cheap 1080p monitors. Might cost you some $ extra but it´s worth it.

@warmer if you read carefully you will see he is talking about a desktop PC with the 450$.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

3 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@warmer if you read carefully you will see he is talking about a desktop PC with the 450$.

On 3/28/2023 at 3:29 PM, Jugginator said:

Post edit, any laptop or desktop that's above the 200 - 400$ price range (IMO, period) should have at least 16GB of ram. 

If you read carefully....