After Gold a small team will continue to support and update 7 Days to Die going forward.

ungkor

"After Gold a small team will continue to support and update 7 Days to Die going forward. "

The game is basically loot, build, harvest, survive the 7 days horde.   Rinse and repeat, from stone through steel.   

Do you think this 'small team' is going to add more end game content?    I get somewhat bored looting, building, and fighting the horde every 7 days.   And by end game content, I don't mean just adding 'titanium' or some tier beyond steel.  I mean, actually different end game goals, beyond the 'every 7 days, survive a horde' mechanic.  

What about new biomes, that have a completely different cycle or goal.   Like the radioactive zones, could be new areas, with new challenges, that you cannot even attempt to achieve until you've gotten steel tools, armor, level 6 weapons, etc.   

To be honest, I'm not even sure what types of new end game goals/mechanics I'd like to see.   I enjoy rpg/mmorpg type games, so maybe a greater diversity in quests, or add the concept of factions (especially with bandits lalter) that you have to gain favor from in order to gain protection, otherwise you are overrun by all bandit factions.    Or, something about restoring society as an end goal, with a ton of sub goals along the way.   Some overarching end goal quest.   

Maybe you gain technology and followers in the radioactive wastelands, or gain tech and followers from bandit factions, and your end game goal is to feed, nurture, train, and place your factions 'armies' in all the towns of the world, to wipe out the zombies.   Or some medical quest to find a cure, which takes you all over each zone, (like an everquest epic), with unique and very hard quests to complete.  

I think you're overthinking this. Though I could be wrong, what they likely mean is that this small team will support the game by means of squashing bugs. Outside of what is planned for gold (new character/armor system, bandits, factions, "end-game", etc.) it's possible this small team could add additional content, but I wouldn't expect anything major.

20 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

I think you're overthinking this. Though I could be wrong, what they likely mean is that this small team will support the game by means of squashing bugs. Outside of what is planned for gold (new character/armor system, bandits, factions, "end-game", etc.) it's possible this small team could add additional content, but I wouldn't expect anything major.

Oh, so you think by the time 'gold' is reached, new end game content will be developed?

4 hours ago, ungkor said:

Oh, so you think by the time 'gold' is reached, new end game content will be developed?

From previous dev streams, factions and an end game storyline are planned for gold.

The way it was described was having two factions, White River and the Duke. Gaining rep with one unlocks some additional quest lines for that faction, but locks you out of the other story line. It was also implied that allied factions would be non-aggressive in settlements but still aggressive in the wild. So no breezing through a POI and looting without risk just because you're friendly with the occupying faction.

It was all pretty vague but the intent is definitely there. I also have the impression that the 'game ending' event (although it wouldn't actually end your game, you can still sandbox as much as you like) is either killing the Duke or Noah depending on which path you take.

14 hours ago, ungkor said:

"After Gold a small team will continue to support and update 7 Days to Die going forward. "

The game is basically loot, build, harvest, survive the 7 days horde.   Rinse and repeat, from stone through steel.   

Do you think this 'small team' is going to add more end game content?    I get somewhat bored looting, building, and fighting the horde every 7 days.   And by end game content, I don't mean just adding 'titanium' or some tier beyond steel.  I mean, actually different end game goals, beyond the 'every 7 days, survive a horde' mechanic.  

What about new biomes, that have a completely different cycle or goal.   Like the radioactive zones, could be new areas, with new challenges, that you cannot even attempt to achieve until you've gotten steel tools, armor, level 6 weapons, etc.   

To be honest, I'm not even sure what types of new end game goals/mechanics I'd like to see.   I enjoy rpg/mmorpg type games, so maybe a greater diversity in quests, or add the concept of factions (especially with bandits lalter) that you have to gain favor from in order to gain protection, otherwise you are overrun by all bandit factions.    Or, something about restoring society as an end goal, with a ton of sub goals along the way.   Some overarching end goal quest.   

Maybe you gain technology and followers in the radioactive wastelands, or gain tech and followers from bandit factions, and your end game goal is to feed, nurture, train, and place your factions 'armies' in all the towns of the world, to wipe out the zombies.   Or some medical quest to find a cure, which takes you all over each zone, (like an everquest epic), with unique and very hard quests to complete.  

This isn't an MMO, where they will keep adding new content after gold.  They may add a few things if they feel like it, but I wouldn't expect much unless it is in the form of an expansion or other DLC.

Get into mods, there are several major overhhauls that add a ton of new stuff including new item tiers/materials higher tier zombies. Lets be real 7dtd hasn't really gotten anything "new" really item/zombie tier wise since a10/11, Steel is still the top tier, radiated is still top zombies. Darkness Falls and Apocalypse Now mods both have several tiers above radiated for zombies, and materials above steel tier. They are also a complete overhaul, which will make you have to relearn alot of the game, as its vastly different than vanilla. Alot of the vanilla strats won't work in DF/AN, as the zombies are just much stronger.

14 hours ago, Docsavage1 said:

What you need my friend, is Darkness falls. It stretches the edges of game-play to a whole new level, give it a try on a new save.

"Get into mods"

I've seen this type of response often:   "if you don't like X, modify it".   Mods, xml tweaks, etc, that's all well and good.  But most players are only going to experience the game as delivered.   

"The way it was described was having two factions, White River and the Duke."

That sounds promising.  Thanks.   I look forward to seeing where the game goes. 

5 hours ago, ungkor said:

"Get into mods"

I've seen this type of response often:   "if you don't like X, modify it".   Mods, xml tweaks, etc, that's all well and good.  But most players are only going to experience the game as delivered.   

A: Story based games: You play it. For ~6 to 60 hours. Done. You'll never touch it again

B: Some other games: You play it, again and again. But the game basically never changes. You mostly will get up to say 100 hours out of it

C : EA games: You play it, again and again. Because the game is in EA you get a few months or years of changing game play unitl it falls back to A or B

d: Service games: You play it, again and again. There is new stuff to consume in regular intervals, for a price, but the mechanics don't vary too much. Still, you might get many years out of it until you got over it, but you have to pay for it.

E: Game series: Whether the game is part of the series or the developer just creates games that mirror each other, you play it, again and again, by buying a new part of the series. The mechanics can vary more than with D but there is always the danger of too much change or the company changing its direction. Still, you might get many years out of it until you got over it, but you have to pay for it.

F: Moddable games: You play it, again and again. There is new stuff to consume when you want it, with even mechanics (and quality) varying wildly. You might get many years out of it until you or the modders got over it.

This game is F with a loong time of C on top and E very likely. Everyone wants more of a good thing, but how can you top this? Pointing to mods is warranted, they are an important part of providing longevity to the game.

5 hours ago, ungkor said:

"The way it was described was having two factions, White River and the Duke."

That sounds promising.  Thanks.   I look forward to seeing where the game goes. 

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Riamus said:

This isn't an MMO, where they will keep adding new content after gold.  They may add a few things if they feel like it, but I wouldn't expect much unless it is in the form of an expansion or other DLC.

This is probably closer to feasibility imo.  I would guess post gold content will most likely take the form of more of an existing feature that wouldn't cause issues with the base game (e.g. more POIs).  No concrete news yet on what those additions will be yet.